NTTD Gun Barrel Sequence OOO O O O

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,416
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Biggest quistions is how there wil bring the light back in the gunbarrel. So the say the ''the spot light''.

If something ele's too, then Bond should walk from the left to the right.

Idea i have is bring the light is that Bond not shoot the camera yet, then end to the blind spot of Spectre and should shoot him self out of the spot to first film footage. Or insteed shooting to camera when he walks, shooting behind his white place where he walks (turn him self from us) in to the film footage.

Bond should see the light / find his solace first, then we can get normal gunbarrel again.
    How about putting the gun barrel at the beginning, whether Bond is 007 or not? No more gimmicks. It's one of the most iconic elements in a series with no shortage of iconic elements.

I didn't see SP on the big screen, as I didn't like what I was seeing in the run up to its release. I did it once before, I could do it again, if I get that same sinking feeling coming back.

Exactly! No more gimmicks. The only gimmick I ever liked as far as the gunbarrel was concerned was the slight sparkling light effect in DAF. Otherwise leave the iconic image alone.
  • I suspect that I'm in the small minority of fans who couldn't care less where the GB is placed..........I think it worked really well playing at the end of SF. Thematically and symbolically it fit perfectly as it was emblematic of a 'new beginning'. It worked even better at the start of CR for similar reasons.

The thing I am most interested in is the actual 'look' of the GB. The Craig era has mostly done redesigns.

571fef922e37e496080fb21a384d1c04.jpg

The CR one works as it's too quick for us to dwell too heavily on - though I preferred the version used in the trailer. Also the SF one looks too plastic-y and CGI.

I actually think the QOS re-design is the strongest and boldest departure. I wouldn't have minded if they kept this style.

Something doesn't sit right with me about the SP one. Maybe because it's a 'too perfect' and neat recreation of the classic GB. the lines look too artificial. The reason you have those blacks is due to the shadows being cast in the original photo. You don't get that impression in SP - it just feels overly designed.

77f4ed99c5cc5450beb638b9e005d27f.gif

I think CJF should just pinch a previous GB and drop DC into it. I'm surprised no-one has done this. It's the most time and cost effective. My personal favourite being OHMSS, just use that.

On-Her-Majestys-Secret-Service-0006.jpg
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    edited September 2019 Posts: 431
    A little present I made for you guys ;-):

rMfqmAc.jpg

n8BmFbG.jpg
  • anyoneanyone Scotland
    Film 25 - how could they not. And they know they haven't completely embraced it properly in any of the films. I mean really really properly, with that certain spine tingle feel. We all know Spectre's was Craig's Take 1 really it did look like it.

Jamaican-Dr-No style-gun-barrel-kinda-so-retro-its-almost-black-and-white-get-the-bongo-drum-beat-with-guitar-(ditch that pure brass)-almost-like-its-off-a-wonky-analogue-recording-and-AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

love it - they need to film it on to a smudgy VHS or something!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'd love to see the gunbarrel in black and white.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

No blood???
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 6,665
    Loved what this guy did with the last gunbarrel. He added movement, like in the Brosnan era. It's perfect this way. Take a look. And then take a look at the comparison in the end of the clip. The original, static one, was just cheap looking and bland.

Don't forget to imagine it without the awful yellow (piss) filter ;)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I hope they re-use the SP footage.
    Firstly, it’s by far Craig’s best gunbarrel and secondly because I don’t want them to continue the trend to make a new one for each film.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

No blood???

I want rich deep vibrant Maurice Binder style blood.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Firstly, it’s by far Craig’s best gunbarrel and secondly because I don’t want them to continue the trend to make a new one for each film.

Agreed. Copy the one from SP.
    I don’t think nttd will have a gun barrel at the beginning. Just a feeling I have.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I don’t think nttd will have a gun barrel at the beginning. Just a feeling I have.
    I hope it does, otherwise I’d wish they hadn’t bothered in Spectre.
  • I'm not too concerned about the gun barrel. I'm okay with the slight toying of it. The music during it matters most to me. That said, Brosnan had the best design. I wish they'd do something more similar to those.
    Well I was glad in SPECTRE the Barrel went back where it belongs. He did good performance, Daniel Craig. I sure you all no doubles. None what happen in the early James Bond movies. It easy to do you have time to do you gun barrel no matter what. What was done earlier was done now no more of it so let move on to this.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The gunbarrel is an awesome moment to get the audience into the zone for the latest mission. Very much looking forward to that. It's an iconic theater experience.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 13,879
    Always thought it would be cool to see Bond shoot, and the gun barrel drop to the ground with a thud. Then we see a puddle of blood form at the end of the barrel which then fills the barrel. In short, the blood fills the screen from the bottom up. Although, this way might sacrifice the iris opening up on the PTS, and another transition effect would be needed.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I feel really strongly about the importance of the gun barrel at the beginning. The design and score of each is subjective and is open to directors interpretation and the opinion of the audience. BUT having a gun barrel AND it being at the beginning should be a non negotiable for me.
    On the 'controversial opinions' thread a forum member commentated recently that the producers make mistakes sometimes. They do and the gun barrel is a good example of it.
    It was front and centre from '62 to '02. (I love the 'in movie' reason for the CR version BTW), Cubby obviously valued it as a signature of his Bond films, an identifier, an audience member sees the gun barrel and knows they are in safe hands for a couple of hours.
    Really it doesn't have any deeper importance than simply knowing that yep this a Bond film, we're ready, it's a unique and fundamental part of being able to settle down and enjoy a 'familiar' new Bond.
    A Star Wars film would feel wrong without the opening crawl and then the big score. The gun barrel is the same for me.
    It really annoyed me when Forster and Mendes gave their reason for it's omission. There is no reason, none, it shouldn't have opened up into the car chase in QOS.
    . The first shot of SF is great and Sam Mendes said "we tried the gun barrel and it didn't look righ" . Well change the opening shot then mate because as good as it is it's not more important than the gun barrel. (If the opening shot had been changed we wouldn't have known) Or he could have had the iris merge into the shot of Bond at the end of the corridor as is.
    Anyway, rant over. (It will be in NTTD , I have faith)
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 19,339
    Univex wrote: »
    Loved what this guy did with the last gunbarrel. He added movement, like in the Brosnan era. It's perfect this way. Take a look. And then take a look at the comparison in the end of the clip. The original, static one, was just cheap looking and bland.

Don't forget to imagine it without the awful yellow (piss) filter ;)

Brilliant,100% better than the original!!
    I’m sure there will be a GB at the start of the film .
    They are taking this film VERY seriously and I think all the Bond trimmings will be in it .
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited September 2019 Posts: 8,000

To be honest, I like the idea of a Bond actor reshooting the gun barrel for each film, as opposed to just using stock footage. DAD was the first film I saw in theater, and even then I found it very off-putting that I was watching GOLDENEYE Brosnan complete with that poofy hair, which no longer existed by DAD.

I actually hope for all future actors get to redo the Bond gun barrel. Sure, it's breaking tradition of past films that just reused footage, but that's not a tradition that's particularly important to me anymore. Besides, it would be more fun to see a Bond actor try a new walk or stance for each installment, as it would be something new to look forward to besides the rest of the film.

As for the SP gun barrel, if they were going to use a still image rather than the CGI effect, I would have preferred they use the original Connery gun barrel composited, rather than the cleaned up Brosnan one.

To be honest, I like the idea of a Bond actor reshooting the gun barrel for each film, as opposed to just using stock footage. DAD was the first film I saw in theater, and even then I found it very off-putting that I was watching GOLDENEYE Brosnan complete with that poofy hair, which no longer existed by DAD.

I actually hope for all future actors get to redo the Bond gun barrel. Sure, it's breaking tradition of past films that just reused footage, but that's not a tradition that's particularly important to me anymore. Besides, it would be more fun to see a Bond actor try a new walk or stance for each installment, as it would be something new to look forward to besides the rest of the film.

As for the SP gun barrel, if they were going to use a still image rather than the CGI effect, I would have preferred they use the original Connery gun barrel composited, rather than the cleaned up Brosnan one.

Couldn't agree more.
  • Agent7777Agent7777 England
    I'm hoping we get the full traditional gun barrel sequence on NTTD that opens out into the film. We haven't actually had the traditional gun barrel opening since TWINE, if you exclude DAD due to that stray bullet. Craig's gun barrels have been a mixed bag, I think QOS is the worst ever and I wish they hadn't even bothered including it at the end of the film. I'd like to see a return to something classic like LTK, which is one of my favourite gun barrel openings, also love the variation on the Bond theme that gives it an edge.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Univex wrote: »

Couldn't agree more.

Me too. Don’t mess with the gunbarrel!
  • Hoping for a proper gun barrel at the beginning of the film, Spectre had a great one, I just didn't like the Bond theme starting over the MGM /Columbia logos.
  • Agent7777Agent7777 England
    Hoping for a proper gun barrel at the beginning of the film, Spectre had a great one, I just didn't like the Bond theme starting over the MGM /Columbia logos.

I agree. It was great to have the gun barrel back at the beginning but there were still issues like the main theme blasting out over a black screen before the gun barrel makes an entrance and also the fact that it didn't open out into the film.
  • PB's GB is the best because cinematically it uses modern technology. The GB's shadow doesn't move into focus until the moment Brosnan turns and fires. It gives that final moment a definitive denouncement that is really slick.

SimplisticAgedBobwhite-small.gif

I know it's not actually natural and goes against the actual physics of a GB - but it's by far the coolest design.

After all, Danny Kleinman came up with the idea in 1995, can't he just do the same again now?

Another cool idea would be to go for a double-negative and made the GB black and the lines white. I've seen this design on a number of pieces of official 007 merchandise. I would kinda dig it if they went in this direction..........................................

5c5083be123307548d758e61e623d8dd.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Just put it at the beginning, use the Brosnan era look, drop Craig into it, give it a unique twist on the theme (for the love of Ian, please... PLEASE, don't use the same Bond theme used since CR) and boom, good to go.
    Just put it at the beginning, use the Brosnan era look, drop Craig into it, give it a unique twist on the theme (for the love of Ian, please... PLEASE, don't use the same Bond theme used since CR) and boom, good to go.

+1
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 15,785

Well said. I am so sick of that same sounding Bond theme recording.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 431
    So now we know how much he cares about what fans think. Anddd…...that we do get a new gunbarrel-sequence:

FaX25S3.jpg
    GKLoQvf.jpg