I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• thedove wrote: »
    Yes I think you are correct. Looks the same to me.

Who was the set designer of these films? Or were all designs inspired by Ken Adams? Cause whoever it was had a great eye and great sense of style.
    thedove wrote: »

Who was the set designer of these films? Or were all designs inspired by Ken Adams? Cause whoever it was had a great eye and great sense of style.

It wouldn't surprise me if they're the same lamps. You never see them from the same angle though.

Ken Adam, Syd Cain and Peter Lamont worked on many of the films in Production Design, Art Direction and Set Decoration roles. I must admit I don't exactly know the differences between all these roles. All three did great work with the Bond films!

I've started a furniture and interior thread, btw. :-)

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say the recurring pieces of furniture etc. in the early Bonds can be attributed to the combined efforts of Freda Pearson and Dickie Bamber, who were both responsible for set dressing and between the two of them worked on the first five films.

The similarities in interior decorating we see in OHMSS and DAF can then easily be explained by the presence of Peter Lamont, who was the set decorator on those films, before moving up to art director and leaving the set decorating to others.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 17,269

It wouldn't surprise me if they're the same lamps. You never see them from the same angle though.

Ken Adam, Syd Cain and Peter Lamont worked on many of the films in Production Design, Art Direction and Set Decoration roles. I must admit I don't exactly know the differences between all these roles. All three did great work with the Bond films!

I've started a furniture and interior thread, btw. :-)

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say the recurring pieces of furniture etc. in the early Bonds can be attributed to the combined efforts of Freda Pearson and Dickie Bamber, who were both responsible for set dressing and between the two of them worked on the first five films.

The similarities in interior decorating we see in OHMSS and DAF can then easily be explained by the presence of Peter Lamont, who was the set decorator on those films, before moving up to art director and leaving the set decorating to others.

Good point, I forgot to mention Freda Pearson and Dickie Bamber in my previous post.

Edit: just noticed Bamber worked on The Ipcress File and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang too.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    In Skyfall, Patrice goes straight from landing in Shanghai to the hit job... A mere 10 minute delay of his flight or bad traffic would've made him fail his mission. Pretty unprofessional leaving no room for error (for things which he can have no control over).

Skyfall is riddled with such nonsensical moments.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    In Skyfall, Patrice goes straight from landing in Shanghai to the hit job... A mere 10 minute delay of his flight or bad traffic would've made him fail his mission. Pretty unprofessional leaving no room for error (for things which he can have no control over).

Hmm, now there I have to disagree.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

It's film guys. It wouldn't be entertaining if we first see bond trail him to a safe house, follow him for a couple of days only to finally figure out what happened. And at the same time, getting in-and out as he does, makes it virtually impossible to connect him to the killing (except for Bond finding out of course).

Bond meeting Patrice at the airport and following him straight to an assassination happened because that's what the scriptwriters needed to happen. That it makes no sense is a moot point.
    Q plugging Silva's laptop straight into the MI6 mainframe makes no sense but the screenwriters need a character to do something really stupid to allow Silva to escape from his 'Hannibal Lecter' cell.
    There is no logical reason why British agents would be in Istanbul with a list of undercover agents on a Laptop but it's what the screenwriters need for the list to be stolen.
    Why does Patrice hang around after stealing the list until Moneypenny shows up in a jeep to collect Bond?
    Did Silva know a train was due when he activated the explosion? And who planted it there? How did they know a randomn chase would end up there? Did Silva have a cell of men just waiting in Police uniforms and a police car for him to escape? And did his entire plan to escape hinge on Q doing something anyone with half a brain wouldn't do?

Just some of the nonsensical moments purely designed to move the plot forward.

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Yes when you sit and really analyze most stories you will find things that require a suspension of disbelief. Some require more then others.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

Bond meeting Patrice at the airport and following him straight to an assassination happened because that's what the scriptwriters needed to happen. That it makes no sense is a moot point.
    Q plugging Silva's laptop straight into the MI6 mainframe makes no sense but the screenwriters need a character to do something really stupid to allow Silva to escape from his 'Hannibal Lecter' cell.
    There is no logical reason why British agents would be in Istanbul with a list of undercover agents on a Laptop but it's what the screenwriters need for the list to be stolen.
    Why does Patrice hang around after stealing the list until Moneypenny shows up in a jeep to collect Bond?
    Did Silva know a train was due when he activated the explosion? And who planted it there? How did they know a randomn chase would end up there? Did Silva have a cell of men just waiting in Police uniforms and a police car for him to escape? And did his entire plan to escape hinge on Q doing something anyone with half a brain wouldn't do?

Switch the names and you can say this stuff about any film ever made. Without conveniences (N.B. not plot-holes) there would be no film.

The only thing from your list that is questionable is Silva predicting that an agent would stop him in the tunnel and also that there'd be a train arriving.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

This is true. At least SP was able to make Silva's - years in the making - quite unbelievable plan at least a bit more, well, believable.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Also something I found out several years ago regarding the GF showdown. When Goldfinger steps out behind the cabin curtain in the airplane, we can see ansother person behind him, an Asian guy (Chinese?). He then disappears completely, then Goldfinger gets sucked out of the plane. When the cabin pressure is in balance again and Bond is able to stand again, the guy is there again, lying unconscious or dead on the ground. Who is that guy? A henchmen to Goldfinger? And why does he somehow magically or mysteriously disappear, only to reappear? Why did he not get sucked out of the plane? Was there a fight scene planned and shoz, and then cut? Just look a little bit strange IMO.
    I could probably make a list for about every scene in YOLT. I think the difference pointed out above is YOLT is seen as just a ridiculous entertainment while SF is supposed to be far above it, critically and fan adored when it has just as many things we can question but some are quick to defend due to that reputation.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

So is every Bond movie. Watch one enough times and you're bound to start noticing trivial stuff like that.

Switch the names and you can say this stuff about any film ever made. Without conveniences (N.B. not plot-holes) there would be no film.

The only thing from your list that is questionable is Silva predicting that an agent would stop him in the tunnel and also that there'd be a train arriving.

Hey i like SF (its in my top ten) i like the dialogue but the plot is contrived and full of discrepencies more than most of the Bond films.

But its entertaining and well made.

And that's enough from me because this is off topic from the original post.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 3,985
    Also something I found out several years ago regarding the GF showdown. When Goldfinger steps out behind the cabin curtain in the airplane, we can see ansother person behind him, an Asian guy (Chinese?). He then disappears completely, then Goldfinger gets sucked out of the plane. When the cabin pressure is in balance again and Bond is able to stand again, the guy is there again, lying unconscious or dead on the ground. Who is that guy? A henchmen to Goldfinger? And why does he somehow magically or mysteriously disappear, only to reappear? Why did he not get sucked out of the plane? Was there a fight scene planned and shoz, and then cut? Just look a little bit strange IMO.

I think the other passenger was meant to be cut from the film and it was thought that audiences wouldn't notice him.

Don't forget, GF was made before the advent of video home entertainment with access to multiple viewing and the slow motion button.

I doubt if cinema goers at the time noticed.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 12,980
    Unless that was one of many, many, many setups Silva had in place that he could divert to as he came across them and use as needed. I doubt his plan would hinge on the exact coincidences that played out on screen.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

So what? Does anyone know what he would have done in case of a delay? Maybe he had a backup plan. Besides, as the story was told he didn't need one. Maybe Chinese airlines are more punctual than "Western" ones?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 5,185
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

So what? Does anyone know what he would have done in case of a delay? Maybe he had a backup plan. Besides, as the story was told he didn't need one. Maybe Chinese airlines are more punctual than "Western" ones?

Maybe he picked a flight that was supposed to arrive an hour early but it got delayed for an hour. Hard to tell isn't it? :))

And Bond stood there for the whole time, that's why he looked so tired and annoyed thinking to himself "damn, i could have stayed in the pool for another hour."
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 17,269
    Can't be sure, but the lamp seen on the desk at the "Les Ambassadeurs" Club in DN, is very similar to the two lamps appearing in the briefing scene in TMWTGG. Not the same lamp shade obviously, but the bases seem very similar:
    oOYo5iX.png
    W3QHkWm.png
    Wow! That's a good eye. How did you stumble on that one? Watched them back to back?
    Wow! That's a good eye. How did you stumble on that one? Watched them back to back?

I watched DN this weekend and wanted to check something completely different with TMWTGG afterwards. Found those lamps in TMWTGG to be vaguely familiar, and when I went back to check, I noticed that the lamp bases (maybe) are the same type.
    An update to my previous post re. the wall clock seen in both GF (Goldfinger's private jet) and in TB (at Shrublands). The wall clock also appears at the end of GF, on the cabin door of the private jet.
    wRCnSp1.png
    vB8SBHl.png
    pfROyUG.png

The same lamp can be seen at the Government House in DN and in M's office in FRWL.
    ztao2CQ.png
    YRXecL1.png

I have another lamp discovery coming up when I've had the chance to take screenshots.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    “We have decorators everywhere.”
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Yes when you sit and really analyze most stories you will find things that require a suspension of disbelief. Some require more then others.

It's an interesting point. OHMSS with the poison-dispensing atomizers is *completely* ridiculous, yet the film owns its ludicrousness much better than the recent films.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    When watching CR, I usually skip much of the Miami Airport scene. It's tedious, drawn out beyond necessity. For the first time in a long long time, I watched the scene all the way and, for some reason, picked up on the woman who munches it in the sprinkler scene. I spit up, from laughing so hard. It occurred to me that this was not intentional and that the fall and scream are real and Campbell kept it in. LMAO

at 1:12...

Okay that's a good one! LOL!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    TripAces wrote: »
    When watching CR, I usually skip much of the Miami Airport scene. It's tedious, drawn out beyond necessity. For the first time in a long long time, I watched the scene all the way and, for some reason, picked up on the woman who munches it in the sprinkler scene. I spit up, from laughing so hard. It occurred to me that this was not intentional and that the fall and scream are real and Campbell kept it in. LMAO

How can you be sure?
    An update to the desk seen in FRWL and twice in YOLT. It's also a part of the interior in Bond's room at Piz Gloria in OHMSS:
    mhSkjbV.png

The desk in FRWL and YOLT:
    72iTNP4.png
    UWANRwq.png
    2jCBz4K.png

This desk was designed by Danish designer Bodil Kjær in 1959. You can read more about it here.
    The same map can be seen on the wall in the Soviet consulate in FRWL, and on the wall of Moneypenny's office in both GF and TB:
    n9W7O0q.png
    T97Njim.png
    DcmCWiL.png
    Three films and I believe three different coloured frames. Though the FRWL and TB might be the same colour hard to tell.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    jake24 wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

How can you be sure?

Yeah, I doubt it's an accident. Why was the camera down there?

And besides, big budget films don't have a hundred extras running down surfaces that are actually slippery. That would be expensive.