No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    "Bond 25: A timeline of all the drama on the set of No Time To Die"

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/30/bond-25-timeline-drama-set-no-time-die-10657804/

"Joanna Lumley insists 007 should be male as ‘Lashana Lynch takes over’"

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/29/joanna-lumley-insists-007-male-lashana-lynch-takes-10652696/

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Contraband wrote: »
    "Bond 25: A timeline of all the drama on the set of No Time To Die"

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/30/bond-25-timeline-drama-set-no-time-die-10657804/

"Joanna Lumley insists 007 should be male as ‘Lashana Lynch takes over’"

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/29/joanna-lumley-insists-007-male-lashana-lynch-takes-10652696/

"Drama"

She won't take over, at least not for the whole film. Yer getting old, Joanna.
    Muse would be brilliant to do a Bond song. Want something rockier than the last two ballads.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    phibes72 wrote: »
    Muse would be brilliant to do a Bond song. Want something rockier than the last two ballads.

They had been a dream pick for me for a long time, but I think they are now past their prime. Great memories of seeing them live when I was a teenager.
  • phibes72 wrote: »

No, no and no.
    Know it's the wrong thread but Italian media today, 31 aug:

Ed Sheeran and Andrea Bocelli will sign the soundtrack of the film "No time to die" with James Bond

Ed Sheeran and Andrea Bocelli will sign the soundtrack of the film "No time to die" with James Bond, entrusted to Lotus Production. Filming started last week in the city of Matera and will continue until September 17th, but rumors are also on the soundtrack. Abandoned the idea Dua Lipa the British Lotus has decided to focus on the house artist Ed Sheeran but since the film also turns in Italy has seen fit to combine the king of world pop also a star of the world firmament "Made in Italy "As far as opera music is concerned, Andrea Bocelli. A winning choice since Ed Sheeran and Andrea Bocelli have already signed a great artistic collaboration. The videoclip will be filmed in Matera and on the wild beach of Marina di Pisticci, where an inspection has already taken place with the presence of producer Barbara Broccoli and the artist Ed Sheeran.

On 26 September 2017, the king of world pop Ed Sheeran has in fact published a special version of "Perfect" engraved together with Andrea Bocelli, who interprets a text in Italian, alongside that already present in English. The disc, renamed "Perfect Symphony" immediately became viral on Youtube with over 205 million views.

Sassi

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

On 26 September 2017, the king of world pop Ed Sheeran has in fact published a special version of "Perfect" engraved together with Andrea Bocelli, who interprets a text in Italian, alongside that already present in English. The disc, renamed "Perfect Symphony" immediately became viral on Youtube with over 205 million views.

Sassi
    The cringe is killing me from the inside...

I wouldn't mind Bocelli, classy and an interesting choice. Also i wouldn't mind more classical or Opera music in my Bond films.
    But for f*** sake just keep Sheeran away from the microphone. That's all i'm asking for.
    00Agent wrote: »

Sassi

I wouldn't mind Bocelli, classy and an interesting choice. Also i wouldn't mind more classical or Opera music in my Bond films.
    But for f*** sake just keep Sheeran away from the microphone. That's all i'm asking for.

I'm with you on Ed. Truly boring singer, songwriter, performer, etc.

I wish they could hire this lady, Ivy Levan, from Los Angeles, who sang the soundtrack to the Bondlike agent comedy "Spy" (2015). The music feels like a JB-tune:

• GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    Listened to a couple of songs from Ed Sheeran. It's not my kinda stuff. Change is big we get an even more romantic song as compared to "Skyfall" and "Writing's On The Wall". The latter two songs really added this mysterious atmosphere, they were also sexy in a way. But with Sheeran (and Bocelli) my overall feeling is they go into the direction of "For Your Eyes Only"/"Nobody Does It Better" and perhaps even more 'candystick pink' than those songs. We have to wait what they come up with. But again this choice doesn't feel inspired to me. I mean, what would Cary Fukunaga and Dan Romer like?
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I'm not a fan of Ed Sheeran but I absolutely love his of cover of Make It Rain.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Hooverphonic would be great, in the style of their second album...

With regards to the Sheeran/Bocelli rumour? I will believe it when I see it?
  • MalloryMallory Are you ready to get back to work?
    I still remember all the rumours, that everyone took as true, that Rihanna would not only sing the theme but be the main Bond girl in Spectre. 😁😁
    Principal photography (official production filming) started on Monday April 29th. Although we know for the entire month of April Fukunaga was already filming in Norway, starting Monday March 25th.

So basically filming for "No Time To Die" has been ongoing for about 5 months and 1 week. So probably end of October / early November will be the end of it then no?
    Guess who....

"Rami Malek and Lucy Boynton in Italy! August 31, 2019 - Venice"

peter wrote: »
    Thank you @Univex and @ToTheRight ... Being Bond fans as long as we have, and to those on this forum, the arguments about the women and the Bond character himself, it's boring, really.

They're not saying anything new. And more specifically, our man Ian was exploring this decades ago.

I recently watched Dr. No with my son-- who has just turned 18.

As a child, he was a huge Bond fan.

Things got wobbly around SF, and fell off the rails with SP.

This had to do with his age (stretching his wings, experiencing classic cinema), and the last 007 film...

However, like all great minds (lol), he circled back to his roots: James Bond. And we watched DN.

He was expecting one liners, sexism and all of those tropes (maybe found in some of the later films).

Instead, he was blown away by the characters. Paraphrasing: "Bond uses a mask. He puts it on. Uses sex as a means to an end. The women were as complicit with the sex (trying to dupe him), as he was (to dupe them)." My boy was actually touched by his relationship with Honey and he said it was she who came closest to getting the mask off of Bond (when 007 admits he's scared too).

My son also felt the most revealing scene that best represents the character was when Bond kills Dent.

This is an 18 year old from the "modern era". These kids are more savvy to sensitivity and perhaps what can be perceived as "toxic male misogyny"...

He didn't find 1962 James Bond toxic in any way--

-- he was a man who luckily found a path into spying for her Majesty's Secret Service (or else, according to the boy, if his life wasn't directed with purpose, what would he do-- this man-- who, as a "good guy" hero in Dr. No, continued to pump bullets into an adversary (you've had your six)?).

Dr. No was timeless to Brando, my son. The women were very sexy and unique. Dr. No was a genuine threat that hovered over everything. The hero was a lot of grey and hardly simple.

Perhaps we should have the "intellectuals" actually watch these films again, and re-evaluate the equality the films have MOSTLY shown (but not always; personally I always hate the girl with a gun who is Bond's "equal". It's forced and contrived (XXX, Wai Lin, Jinx); or any "equal" who has to "school" Bond (XXX, Holly Goodhead, Lin, and, my least favourite, Natalya)?

Modern audiences do not understand older films at all, only the superficial components of iconic characters. Take the Amazing Spider-Man films, where the writers thought, hey, Spidey does quips so we'll throw some in and people will get it! Well, Spider-Man is a smart arse in the comics because he's hyper intelligent, can finally be himself when he's wearing the costume, uses the quips as a sort of defense mechanism because he's just a dumb kid that doesn't know any better (and scared to death to be a teenager fighting super villains that could kill him!), and as a distraction to win his battles. He doesn't quip because he's an arrogant jerk out to make people look like fools (as he does in that car-jacking scene in the first ASM film).

Same with Bond. Oh, Bond's that womanizing misogynist, right? Wears a tux, drinks Martinis, sleeps around. That's all superficial and not really what his character is.
    People nowadays don't get deep, they just get thick.

This conversation just keeps getting weirder ;)

But you guys are right, of course. Analysis is, today, a bad word. Something even laughable. Decadent times, these.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Thank you @Univex and @ToTheRight ... Being Bond fans as long as we have, and to those on this forum, the arguments about the women and the Bond character himself, it's boring, really.

They're not saying anything new. And more specifically, our man Ian was exploring this decades ago.

This had to do with his age (stretching his wings, experiencing classic cinema), and the last 007 film...

However, like all great minds (lol), he circled back to his roots: James Bond. And we watched DN.

He was expecting one liners, sexism and all of those tropes (maybe found in some of the later films).

Instead, he was blown away by the characters. Paraphrasing: "Bond uses a mask. He puts it on. Uses sex as a means to an end. The women were as complicit with the sex (trying to dupe him), as he was (to dupe them)." My boy was actually touched by his relationship with Honey and he said it was she who came closest to getting the mask off of Bond (when 007 admits he's scared too).

My son also felt the most revealing scene that best represents the character was when Bond kills Dent.

This is an 18 year old from the "modern era". These kids are more savvy to sensitivity and perhaps what can be perceived as "toxic male misogyny"...

-- he was a man who luckily found a path into spying for her Majesty's Secret Service (or else, according to the boy, if his life wasn't directed with purpose, what would he do-- this man-- who, as a "good guy" hero in Dr. No, continued to pump bullets into an adversary (you've had your six)?).

Dr. No was timeless to Brando, my son. The women were very sexy and unique. Dr. No was a genuine threat that hovered over everything. The hero was a lot of grey and hardly simple.

Perhaps we should have the "intellectuals" actually watch these films again, and re-evaluate the equality the films have MOSTLY shown (but not always; personally I always hate the girl with a gun who is Bond's "equal". It's forced and contrived (XXX, Wai Lin, Jinx); or any "equal" who has to "school" Bond (XXX, Holly Goodhead, Lin, and, my least favourite, Natalya)?

Modern audiences do not understand older films at all, only the superficial components of iconic characters. Take the Amazing Spider-Man films, where the writers thought, hey, Spidey does quips so we'll throw some in and people will get it! Well, Spider-Man is a smart arse in the comics because he's hyper intelligent, can finally be himself when he's wearing the costume, uses the quips as a sort of defense mechanism because he's just a dumb kid that doesn't know any better (and scared to death to be a teenager fighting super villains that could kill him!), and as a distraction to win his battles. He doesn't quip because he's an arrogant jerk out to make people look like fools (as he does in that car-jacking scene in the first ASM film).

Same with Bond. Oh, Bond's that womanizing misogynist, right? Wears a tux, drinks Martinis, sleeps around. That's all superficial and not really what his character is.

Excellent post, and spot on, IMO. The Garfield Spiderman is an excellent analogy. I remember feeling there was something off about the way his character was interpreted in his first outing. As if the filmmakers self consciously tried to make him cooler for the reboot, and as a result he ended up a bit unlikable to me.

I tend to fear, post Craig (especially if there is another interminable gap), that Eon may feel the need to reintroduce Bond to the next generation and those superficial components end up as the primary focus of his character.

Sassi

I'm with you on Ed. Truly boring singer, songwriter, performer, etc.

I wish they could hire this lady, Ivy Levan, from Los Angeles, who sang the soundtrack to the Bondlike agent comedy "Spy" (2015). The music feels like a JB-tune:

That must be the best song since the 80s. Shame they burned it on a film that doesn´t interest me.

Sassi

Big fat PLUS ONE.

It´s not so much they don´t understand older films, but that they believe every piece of **** printed in the media or offered on the internet, no matter how contrived it is. It´s as if the media were a convention of polititians, some try to make a good point, others lie as if they didn´t know that tomorrow never dies. And people just gobble it up and take everything as gospel. We had enough discussions about the intelligence of Bond women, I don´t need to repeat all that. Even superficially Bond never was a mysoginist, not in the books, not in the films. It´s all an invention of publicists.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    boldfinger wrote: »

Sassi

Big fat PLUS ONE.

Big fat PLUS TWO
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 1,875
    Ughh I hope its not Ed Sheeran
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Wait, is he hyper intelligent or is he just a dumb kid who doesn’t know any better?
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 856
    Is there anyone here who would want Ed Sheeran to do a song?
    Not wanting Sheeran seems to be the first unanimous opinion in the history of MI6 Community. B-)
    Not wanting Sheeran seems to be the first unanimous opinion in the history of MI6 Community. B-)

I'm also not sold about it. His songs are truly……..pink-sugarstick-mommy-stuff that doesn't appeal to me.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    Well I don't know about you, but I am really not enthused by another operatic heap of a theme tune, regardless if it is'nt sung by a castrato this time around.

I think you might be correct, here.

Don't have anything against him, myself. He does what he does well and has established a very hardcore fanbase doing it. But he's all kinds of wrong for Bond. His songs are a bit vanilla.

I'd like something with an edge after two ballads. The Arctic Monkeys have my full support in that regard.
  • Is there anyone here who would want Ed Sheeran to do a song?

Don't have anything against him, myself. He does what he does well and has established a very hardcore fanbase doing it. But he's all kinds of wrong for Bond. His songs are a bit vanilla.

I'd like something with an edge after two ballads. The Arctic Monkeys have my full support in that regard.

It seems you don't know him all that well.
    Tell me how much Vanilla is this:

or this:

or this:

Come on, don't label artists for one song. He is one of the best songwriting all-around artist available at the moment.

If they decide to chose him, he'll indeed do a fantastic job

I just listened to one of Sheeran's tunes on YouTube. Sounds like something you'd hear on the overhead speakers at Dollar General or a shopping mall back in 2010.

I really would rather Craig's last film have a song that sends him off with a bang. Instead of a current top 40 artist who may be forgotten by the time B26 comes out, maybe Eon should sign an established music legend to do the title song?
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I really would rather Craig's last film have a song that sends him off with a bang. Instead of a current top 40 artist who may be forgotten by the time B26 comes out, maybe Eon should sign an established music legend to do the title song?

giphy.gif
    edited September 2019 Posts: 6,416

It seems you don't know him all that well.
    Tell me how much Vanilla is this:

or this:

or this:

Come on, don't label artists for one song. He is one of the best songwriting all-around artist available at the moment.

If they decide to chose him, he'll indeed do a fantastic job

Yeah, I'm aware of many of his songs. Cheers for the links nonetheless. I managed to see him live a couple of years back, too.

I stand by my original statement. He's all kinds of wrong for Bond, imo.