What about the United Artists Logo for No Time To Die (and beyond)?

NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
in No Time To Die Posts: 544
I keep wondering if the US prints will have an animated UA Releasing logo for No Time To Die and if the international prints will have MGM+Universal+UA before (hopefully) the gunbarrel starts.

I haven't watched The Hustle (distributed by UA) but I was told only the MGM lion was there. Are they keeping a brand new UA logo till NTTD?

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited August 2019 Posts: 8,000
    I haven't seen THE HUSTLE, but I did catch WHERE'D YOU GO BERNADETTE and there was no UA logo.

I think the chances of a UA logo appearing are now as likely as a Disney logo appearing on a LucasFilm or Marvel movie. It's all about the lion now (with Universal appearing internationally).
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 3,164
    The designer of the new UA logo has ‘motion work still in progress’ on his page, seems like they are waiting until NTTD to have it.
    http://calebbardgett.com/
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Thanks @antovolk , that clears it up.
    Yes, my bet is that they are expecting to a HUGE release like Bond, which is still MGM/UA's most bankable asset.
    Funnily, TLD was the first to debut the new UA logo of the time, but it was actually a placeholder logo. That's why it's only ever been featured on TLD, whereas all the UA releases that came after used the CGI animated version that LTK would feature.
    I contacted Caleb Bardgett and asked him if he plans to use the logo for NTTD. Doubt he'll reply, but just in case...
    If we're actually getting the MGM logo followed by the new UA logo, then the gunbarrel better damn well be following!
    I've really missed the UA logo on the Bonds.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    If we're actually getting the MGM logo followed by the new UA logo, then the gunbarrel better damn well be following!

My thoughts exactly!
    And about time the gunbarrel returns to the beginning for once and for all and never placed anywhere else. One of the things that made me love SPECTRE.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 15,785

My thoughts exactly!
    And about time the gunbarrel returns to the beginning for once and for all and never placed anywhere else. One of the things that made me love SPECTRE.

I love that SPECTRE had a classic narrative structure for Bond.
    I wonder what the odds are the Bonds could ever be re-released on Blu-ray with the original incarnations of the UA logo for each film? I love the '70's blue UA Transamaerica logos. I know it's nitpicking but IMO, the overall experience of watching an older Bond film is enhanced when it's accompanied by the original logos.

My thoughts exactly!

I wonder what the odds are the Bonds could ever be re-released on Blu-ray with the original incarnations of the UA logo for each film? I love the '70's blue UA Transamaerica logos. I know it's nitpicking but IMO, the overall experience of watching an older Bond film is enhanced when it's accompanied by the original logos.

For what I was told, I know MGM for a reason refuses to keep the original logos in the films and always replaces them for the current ones. Apparently, DN-TB had no logos at all and started with the gunbarrel.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I was wondering myself where the United Artists logo had went on these newer Bond films. I'm no expert in this field so it's nice to hear the reason why it doesn't feature now. It would be nice to see it back again on a new Bond film though.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 544
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I was wondering myself where the United Artists logo had went on these newer Bond films. I'm no expert in this field so it's nice to hear the reason why it doesn't feature now. It would be nice to see it back again on a new Bond film though.

MGM decided to use UA for independent films since 1999 and brand big productions (Bond, Rocky) with their lion. Then it was bought by Tom Cruise and now it's back with Annapurna + MGM.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »

MGM decided to use UA for independent films since 1999 and brand big productions (Bond, Rocky) with their lion. Then it was bought by Tom Cruise and now it's back with Annapurna + MGM.

I see. It's a little sad to me that the studio that originally signed James Bond in 1961 for film doesn't get a look in as a logo on the newer Bond films. After all, MGM didn't buy over UA for another twenty years after the initial signing of Bond (1981). The MGM lion is obviously highly iconic but it would be nice to see the UA logo back too, as used to be the case.

My thoughts exactly!

For what I was told, I know MGM for a reason refuses to keep the original logos in the films and always replaces them for the current ones. Apparently, DN-TB had no logos at all and started with the gunbarrel.

True. The first four films just started with the gunbarrel. Though I feel I did once see a print of GOLDFINGER that opened with the UA hexagon logo. YOLT definitely had that colorful 1967 logo, and from OHMSS-FYEO we had variations of the UA Transamerica logo.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 8,000

My thoughts exactly!

If you notice, all the films starting with OP have retained their original theatrical UA logos, but all the films from YOLT to FYEO were replaced, and they were all under the Transamerica era.

I suspect there’s a rights issue in using Transamerica era logos. They’re extremely rare. The only UA film I have with a Transamerica logo is the Criterion edition of MIDNIGHT COWBOY.

My thoughts exactly!

If you notice, all the films starting with OP have retained their original theatrical UA logos, but all the films from YOLT to FYEO were replaced, and they were all under the Transamerica era.

I suspect there’s a rights issue in using Transamerica era logos. They’re extremely rare. The only UA film I have with a Transamerica logo is the Criterion edition of MIDNIGHT COWBOY.

Yes, the SE DVDs retained the old MGM/UA Communications Co. lion logo + United Artists Presents, but I think the UE and BluRays changed them for the MGM + 2001 UA logo opening. The Dalton ones remained untouched. GE and TND were given the new UA logo. TWINE got the standard MGM one over the 75th anniversary version.
    I can confirm that the 4K versions have retained the original UA logos starting with OP’s plain text. Meaning OP, TLD, LTK, GE, and TND are restored with their original UA logos. Curiously, while all the 4K editions updated the MGM lion with the 2012 version featured in SF and SP, the exceptions are TWINE’s 75th anniversary lion, CR, and QOS, all of which retain their original logos.

So it seems MGM is okay with using the original UA logos so long as they are not Transamerica. And of course MGM just uses their latest logo with rare exceptions.

You can only really count on WB holding the pre-1986 MGM library for leaving those logos untouched, though they’re guilty of replacing their own logos.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 15,785
    With a few exceptions most home video versions of the Bonds (at least in the U.S.) contained then then current version of the MGM and or U.A. logos.

The CBS/Fox Home Video editions often opened with that slowly turning UA logo from the early '80's. Wonderful music, BTW. Some Bonds on that video release began with a simple white United Artists over a black screen- no music.

The 1988/89 MGM UA Home Video VHS releases of the Bonds began with the TLD version of the MGM/UA logos.

On TLD Blu-ray, the UA logo that follows the MGM/UA Communications Co logo is slightly different from the cinematic version. Some prints of TLD began with a disclaimer, thought I only ever saw that on the ABC network premiere airing.

If memory serves, I believe the VHS re-releases around the time of GE all featured the UA logo from that era as did the SE DVDs. That SE DVD of OP opened with several MGM and UA logos concluding with the actual version that appeared in the cinema.

For TLD, the blue UA logo zooming in is the original cinematic version from the UK prints. It later got the CGI version made by Rhythm & Hues when it premiered in the US and appeared on early home video editions. By the SE DVD it’s original zoom in logo was restored and has remained since.