Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

boldfinger wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Something tells me this won't be any good, and that this trilogy will mostly be remembered as a ray of hope gone to hell. There's no improving on the original trilogy. Not with prequels, not with sequels, not with tempering the originals. If they expand collaterally, it will work (RO; The Mandalorian;...). If they continue to expand on the story the originals gave us, I'm afraid we'll only be disappointed. Anyway, nothing I've see so far screams quality to me. But I hope I'm wrong.
    @Univex, I like that idea of yours with a ray of hope gone to hell! Wouldn´t it be incredibly cool if Rey defeats Kylo Ren and then succumbs to the dark side, becoming the new Darth Vader? I´m not sure it´s the best idea ever conceived, but everything else would be boring I´m afraid.

Hell, you're right, could be a way to make it interesting. Now that Disney has it, let's turn the good girl evil and subvert all the criticism.

Filmmaking wise, I still don't still quality in a single frame. But I can be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Something tells me this won't be any good, and that this trilogy will mostly be remembered as a ray of hope gone to hell. There's no improving on the original trilogy. Not with prequels, not with sequels, not with tempering the originals. If they expand collaterally, it will work (RO; The Mandalorian;...). If they continue to expand on the story the originals gave us, I'm afraid we'll only be disappointed. Anyway, nothing I've see so far screams quality to me. But I hope I'm wrong.
    @Univex, I like that idea of yours with a ray of hope gone to hell! Wouldn´t it be incredibly cool if Rey defeats Kylo Ren and then succumbs to the dark side, becoming the new Darth Vader? I´m not sure it´s the best idea ever conceived, but everything else would be boring I´m afraid.

Hell, you're right, could be a way to make it interesting. Now that Disney has it, let's turn the good girl evil and subvert all the criticism.

Filmmaking wise, I still don't still quality in a single frame. But I can be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.
    It´s hard to say. I recently re-watched J.J.´s two Star Trek films and was amazed at how brilliant the first half of each film is (with small exceptions in the case of Into Darkness). Unfortunately, both films lose their breath in the second half. Which expecially in the case of Into Darkness has a lot to do with the script being raped by execs.

Well, that was also the problem with his TV series, to be fair. First seasons pretty good, the last ones not so. Remember Alias and Lost ? Still, I have hope. After all, TFA and TLJ have not reached the nadir that was TPM... Or the Holiday Special.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    As someone who enjoyed both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi because I understand nothing can improve on the Original Trilogy, I'm ridiculously optimistic and can't wait for every upcoming Star Wars thing.

And The Rise of Skywalker is no exception.

The movie will entertain me regardless, no matter how it turns out. Hell, I even enjoy certain parts of the Holiday Special, even though I desperately wanted to carve my eyes out with a spoon after having seen it. That's just how I am, and I make no apologies for it.

So yeah, I'm hyped.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Whoa, Sith Rey looks straight from a fan made film. Beside that, looks cool.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am exited, they are going to market the hell out of this with nostalgia which will work on me admittedly
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Looks like an amazing and epic finale to the saga.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The question is...
    Is that actually Rey or a clone of Rey or a Darth Sidious possessed Rey
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    My expectations are extremely low for this one, but some of the shots in that trailer are gorgeous. Curious to see what direction they go in after the last one was so dramatically inert.
    The second film messed up the whole trilogy for me, though I will be open minded going into Episode IX. On reflection JJ should have done all three films, they still may have been average admittedly, though at least we would have skipped the subverting expectations crap
    JJ recently said that TLJ was perfectly in line with what he had in mind for the overall trilogy. Killing off Snoke, making Palpatine the villain of the last film etc etc were always part of the main plan, it seems. Which is logic and no surprise. One of the reason why Trevorrow was fired is because he didn’t want Luke to die.
    matt_u wrote: »
    JJ recently said that TLJ was perfectly in line with what he had in mind for the overall trilogy. Killing off Snoke, making Palpatine the villain of the last film etc etc were always part of the main plan, it seems. Which is logic and no surprise. One of the reason why Trevorrow was fired is because he didn’t want Luke to die.

He's surely not going to say anything to the contrary though, is he?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

He worked with Rian Johnson on the plot of the movie, so he knew damn well what was going on and as a producer, he had some form of veto rights. People need to stop acting as though Rian Johnson was some lucky bastard who had "absolute control" or something. These movies, as all movies are, were made by committee.

In terms of quality and what I prefer to view as cannon I like the original trilogy I also like the prequels (sue me) and beyond that I like the force unleashed and Shadows of the empire (which why is Disney not making this a film are they that dumb)

He worked with Rian Johnson on the plot of the movie, so he knew damn well what was going on and as a producer, he had some form of veto rights. People need to stop acting as though Rian Johnson was some lucky bastard who had "absolute control" or something. These movies, as all movies are, were made by committee.

I'm not really sure why you chose to respond to me with that, but seeing as you have; while they are certainly made by committee, like most franchises are, I would call it disingenuous to accept Abrams' comments that it was in line for what he wanted for the trilogy considered he was only ever supposed to direct the first film originally and only took on IX after they took Trevorrow off it. He didn't have a plan for the ending film. Was he going to be an Executive Producer on IX all along? I don't think so.

I always had sympathy for Johnson as I think he's a pretty good filmmaker ane he was scapegoated by fans quite severely and unfairly (though his petty Twitter engagements with them made it worse, imo).

If this was the plan all along, then that makes it worse. There's so many fundamental issues with the sequel trilogy, stemming from piss-poor writing and half-baked characterisations - hopefully IX will retroactively improve the previous films.
    Meh, i couldn't care less about Episode 9. What I'm looking forward to is the Obi Wan series (miniseries?) and the great Werner Herzog joining the SW universe in The Mandalorian.
    I've been away for a while so I'm a bit late to the party on the Mandalorian so I'll just it looks cool. Episode 9 however. Eesh, I don't think they can get me excited no matter what they do, and I'm a fan of TFA and TLJ. Maybe it will surprise me but I'm not betting on it.
  • As someone who enjoyed both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi because I understand nothing can improve on the Original Trilogy, I'm ridiculously optimistic and can't wait for every upcoming Star Wars thing.

And The Rise of Skywalker is no exception.

The movie will entertain me regardless, no matter how it turns out. Hell, I even enjoy certain parts of the Holiday Special, even though I desperately wanted to carve my eyes out with a spoon after having seen it. That's just how I am, and I make no apologies for it.

So yeah, I'm hyped.

I'm with ya all the way.

Loved that flip lightsabre!
    Meh, i couldn't care less about Episode 9. What I'm looking forward to is the Obi Wan series (miniseries?) and the great Werner Herzog joining the SW universe in The Mandalorian.

We agree on that ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I didn't mind TLJ at all but that like the teaser for TROS was pretty underwhelming, the excitement for these films has dissipated for me.

I'll go and see it but OUATIH and The Irishman far out eclipse this, even Knives Out has me more excited.

2020 will be the year for blockbusters with NTTD in April and then the return of Nolan and Tenet, now that is something to get excited about, for me anyway.
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    maxresdefault.jpg

Haha, I didn t notice that in the clip. Thanks.
    There are 3 Star Wars movies

And a whole lot of fan fiction
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    fjdinardo wrote: »

You realize that the prequels were made by George Lucas, right?
    Walecs wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »

You realize that the prequels were made by George Lucas, right?

With even far more artistic freedom.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Very nice :-))!

I like Rey a lot, and I think Daisy Ridley has been pretty good, but those shots of her with the fold out lightsaber are far too funny when I'm sure they were supposed to be menacing.
    The more time has passed, the more and more disappointed I’ve found myself with the sequel trilogy. I do like some of the new characters like Rey and Finn, but the movies are superfluous and lack the gripping narratives of the originals. I even find myself more interested in the prequels narratively speaking these days. For me, the only SW film to even come close to the OT is ROTS, which is flawed but has a lot of great content.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 23,267
    This needs to be added to the final cut of the film ;))