Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Librarian wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Personally I'd rather they concentrate on making the films better and bringing them out more often.

Me too.

Count me in on that! :-bd

Better make that four.
    For those who want a Nomi, 007 stream spinoff with the scooby gang included, I have no idea why you like James Bond in the first place. No idea. None. I don’t even think you understand what James Bond is all about. It’s not a subjective thing, it’s not a pop art object to be reinterpreted, it’s not a movement vehicle, it’s not about team work, it’s not about super spies in leather gear with ott gadgets, no, its not that. If you think that is James Bond, you’ve read it wrong, what you want is Mission Impossible, Nikita, kimpossible or whatever. This temporary number reassignment is messing with people’s heads. And this scooby gang team stuff is sickening, to say the least.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Univex wrote: »
    For those who want a Nomi, 007 stream spinoff with the scooby gang included, I have no idea why you like James Bond in the first place. No idea. None. I don’t even think you understand what James Bond is all about. It’s not a subjective thing, it’s not a pop art object to be reinterpreted, it’s not a movement vehicle, it’s not about team work, it’s not about super spies in leather gear with ott gadgets, no, its not that. If you think that is James Bond, you’ve read it wrong, what you want is Mission Impossible, Nikita, kimpossible or whatever. This temporary number reassignment is messing with people’s heads. And this scooby gang team stuff is sickening, to say the least.

Wholeheartedly agree. I've no idea how likely a series is at this point, but as an idea it is total bollocks. For M:I it it isn't out of place considering it was originally a series in the first place.

For those who think this is a good idea, I'm curious as to how this works....

Regardless of how good Lynch is, or how well the character is received - this is Craig's last film, and it will only be a few years before Bond is reinvented again. Would this series have a long-term plan? We'll potentially be losing some of the supporting cast after Bond 25. If they stick with a series, would we have a hangover cast from one era going off on a tangent from that same era, while a potential new cast leads us into a new era with a new Bond? And if not, and we only got one (maybe two) seasons of this hypothetical show, what would be the bloody point?

And this is if you choose to ignore the valid point made by @Univex that this is not what Bond is about, and why I'm in favour of keeping Bond at Eon for eternity. Yes, I'm aware that they've "talked about" a spin-off in the past, but thankfully they've always seen sense and I hope that continues.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think Eon should stick to what they know. I feel them attempting a cinematic universe would feel like they don't trust their old ways, which I think would be a mistake. Just doing films is fine, it's just how you make them that might need to change going forward. I love Eon, but I can't deny they always seem to have quite serious problems, but I do think that might be down to the fact that James Bond movies are so huge that they basically take on the problems of 3 films in 1.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think Eon should stick to what they know. I feel them attempting a cinematic universe would feel like they don't trust their old ways, which I think would be a mistake. Just doing films is fine, it's just how you make them that might need to change going forward. I love Eon, but I can't deny they always seem to have quite serious problems, but I do think that might be down to the fact that James Bond movies are so huge that they basically take on the problems of 3 films in 1.

EoN's got you covered bro.

From 2015:
    The new cool thing in movies is the shared universe. You know, Marvel and Warner Bros. are doing it, as are a few other companies. Is there any interest in doing that with James Bond?

Broccoli: I think Bond lives in his own universe. [Laughter.] I don't think he wants to share it with anyone else.

Wilson: Like ‘Mission: Impossible’ and Bond pairing together? I don’t think so. I think that's the comic book world. They’ve done very well with that, and more power to them.

As for a TV spin-off for Nomi, if EoN would be planning such a thing (they're not) they should fully embrace the ridiculousness of that idea and bring back James Bond Jr., while they're at it. I would actually prefer that. With JB Junior at least you can pretend there's history, it's based on something pre-existing.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2019 Posts: 8,009
    00Agent wrote: »
    Broccoli: I think Bond lives in his own universe. [Laughter.] I don't think he wants to share it with anyone else.

And that is the rub, as they say. :-bd
    That’s why I love EON.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2019 Posts: 7,969
    Here's what I think is going to happening......

The 'streaming' movement is underway. Paramount announced their merger with Viacom and alongside those plans was the announcement of a new streaming service. There is word that a new Mission: Impossible show is in the works. Whilst I doubt that Tom Cruise will be in the show, I can see Rebecca Ferguson or Simon Pegg leading that series.

Personally, I really want to see that show! you could even perhaps get Christopher McQuarrie to write and direct the pilot.

Whilst the 'Mission' films are all about Cruise doing crazy stunts, I would watch 10 episode spy series with the other characters. Also, there are 6 films worth of characters to work with.....

We know that universal are planning a streaming service - also Bond is a free agent again after Bond 25 and MGM could partner to a major brand like Apple or Netflix.

I think we will get something with Nomi. Perhaps her own limited series with Ralph, Ben and Naomie reprising their roles. I mean, no one has seen a frame of Lynch in the role yet and she's getting fan art made....

ECAkl2aWkAEFWX_?format=jpg&name=large

I can see a future where Nomi is on streaming and Bond is in cinemas.

I really hope you're kidding.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Lynch is a femi-nazi; I can tell by the interview on the previous page. This franchise will suffer for the SJW politics being injected into it.

Agreed. As Haphazardstuff pointed out in his video, there is a good probability that her character only exists to be given the 007 status. What possible function could she have beyond that which isn't stealing focus from Bond. She isn't a tradtionally Bond girl unless Bond sleeps with her in the end, which I don't see happening.
    That’s why I love EON.

Wait, what? They're the ones giving us Agent Nomi 007.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 6,665
    That’s why I love EON.

Wait, what? They're the ones giving us Agent Nomi 007.

I haven't seen Bond25, @Mendes4Lyfe. I do love EON (even if they did gave us DUD), but you can ask me again after I've seen this new film ;)

But in a way, they've given us so many wonderful films, I can't help but love them, even with some DUDs along the way (and yes, the only on I don't like is DAD, although it has some good bits in it; also, not a fan of DAF).

I just hope the 25th isn't one of those that make me cringe.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Lashana Lynch has posted a new photo on Instagram for a great cause:

Did you know that today, August 22nd, is Black Women's Equal Pay Day? If you didn’t know, now you know. It shows how far into 2019 black women must work to earn what white men made in 2018. That's a whole 9 extra months! Even worse, the gap has widened since last year. Black women disproportionately are heads of households, they make up the largest group of minority women-owned businesses, and they're a key voting bloc with one of the biggest voter turnouts. When you lift up black women, you lift up entire communities. They are phenomenal, and they deserve equal pay! @phenomenal tee benefits the Black Futures Lab.

Once again, this is indicative of her look in the film. Very excited to see more of her soon.
    New photo of Lashana from the weekend:
    ZsVOycw_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

It’s clear they have given her A LOT of action to do as she has got into seriously good shape for this part. I’m even more fascinated to see the new 007 in action. She’s got terrific abs, now time to put them to use....
    From Ursula Andress to Lashana Lynch...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I wonder how she takes her martini.
  • With a twist...
    Or she does not go for that kind of feminine kind of drink!
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I could see her going for a top shelf bottle of The Macallan.
    Sani wrote: »
    From Ursula Andress to Lashana Lynch...

It's been quite the evolution. We've moved away from the cheesecake style 'Bond girl' and clearly have a more edgy 2019 character with Nomi:

Though, don't think I'm discrediting the pin-up girls of yesteryear. In fact, they are still alive and well in our new 'woke' 2019. You only need to go on Instagram and see the new era of 'Insta Models' to know that women still embrace their sexuality and others enjoy admiring it. We haven't moved too far from Ursula Andress, believe me.

NTTD clearly plans to have its cake and eat it, with the inclusion of Ana De Armas - who with 1.5m followers is another example of an 'Insta Model'

Hopefully, Ana De Armas appears in a bikini.......
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2019 Posts: 5,834
    So I made this a few days ago but thought I'd share it on the page that was pretty much built for this character. A poster of Nomi that I made...

dderfrt-9aa918ce-0612-4e41-8a3f-ea566bfdd551.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2NkNWQwOTM4LWY2M2YtNDUyZi04ZTk5LTc3M2QwYWUzMTEzNlwvZGRlcmZydC05YWE5MThjZS0wNjEyLTRlNDEtOGEzZi1lYTU2NmJmZGQ1NTEuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.87rVfwvqIxNylZjjanMWNG3eDDj3qjMUR1scquPTbKs
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 71
    It's been quite the evolution.

I know you are expecting this movie, and that's fine. But please tell you don't think this seriously. From a really beautiful woman to an ugly, almost bald woman. Is that evolution?
    By the way, Honey had an interesting background story as well.
    My guess is, we will see Lachana introduced as a potential flirt in Jamaica, when she still has long hair and simply looks more feminine (Lynch me if you must... heh)
    And by the time we're in London she looks different, wearing slighly masculine clothing and all, plus being some badass government Killer, so she will not serve as a potential romantic lead anymore.
    It's not the purpose of her character imho.
    She will be trully "Bond's equal", so they are finally taking those tired buzzwords to their possible Limit.

By now i think that, yes, Madeleine will be the Main Female lead again. I don't have a Problem with that as long as the romance is better written this time around... or just written at all.
    My guess is, we will see Lachana introduced as a potential flirt in Jamaica, when she still has long hair and simply looks more feminine (Lynch me if you must... heh)
    And by the time we're in London she looks different, wearing slighly masculine clothing and all, plus being some badass government Killer, so she will not serve as a potential romantic lead anymore.
    It's not the purpose of her character imho.
    She will be trully "Bond's equal", so they are finally taking those tired buzzwords to their possible Limit.

By now i think that, yes, Madeleine will be the Main Female lead again. I don't have a Problem with that as long as the romance is better written this time around... or just written at all.

I can see what you mean,but they did a similar think with Pam in LTK,so there would ultimately be whingeing comparisons.

I know you are expecting this movie, and that's fine. But please tell you don't think this seriously. From a really beautiful woman to an ugly, almost bald woman. Is that evolution?

Your physical attraction isn't being accounted for here. That's your own business.

Lashana isn't 'bald' - Christ, this conversation has been played out before, it's her natural hair. Afro hair grows that way - she could wear a weave, wig or relax it - but she has decided against it.

I think its kinda awesome that Eon have given the female lead of the film to an unknown black actress with dark skin. There is an important discussion there to be had over 'Western ideals of beauty' and how we are willing to tolerate beautiful ethic women as long as they conform to particular stereotypes. There is a noticeable problem with Hollywood trying to be 'inclusive' but falling into colourism pratfalls.

Zendaya said it best:

I suspect they won't be the only two hairstyles that Lashana will have in film.......If you saw Black Panther, you'd know how versatile Lupita Nyong'o's hair in that film is.

I think they will style it in multiple different ways throughout.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 6,665
    So this wasn't an empowering image for women?

CcEVDbeUYAELYwA.jpg

You call this a pin up? You, @Pierce2Daniel, are a blind man with a moral high grounded agenda. It's too much, man. The things you say are filled with you own sense of fight and opinion.

Ursula Andress is still perfection for me. I wouldn't look twice in the direction of Lynch.

TELEMMGLPICT000079662710_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqapCFWII_JNZcIehwJLDPhkc7vciFL14ER6lKbTANIOE.jpeg?imwidth=450

And Honey's background story was more in touch with women's rights and power than Nomi's self imposing presence as "Bond's equal" will ever be.

Damn it man, I've said it once, if you don't like the Bond franchise, go find another.

Please...bad mouthing Ursula Andress. Shame on you.

An evolution...I don't see it. Where? Please explain? Is it Lynch's abs? Her short hair? Her macho stance? The fact you would probably be dominated by her easily? What? What is it that such a turn on?

PS: Ursula Andress would probably kick your ass easily too ;)

PPS: You're a valuable info gatherer. And I really like your detective-like posts. I really do. But you do know how to piss off and alienate people. An evolution from Andress to Lynch...cmon man, next thing you'll be talking about Connery's toxic masculinity. Like that guy who insisted that Bond making Sylvia Trench wait for his answer was toxic masculinity and that he should have answered it right away like a good sissy men are expected to be nowadays, non threatening and mild. Please, what a load of boll***s. Are we Bond fans or y-gen men-bun-wearing sissies that can't talk about beautiful women? I, for one, still don't find Lynch attractive. And from what I've been gathering, neither do many, many folk. Now try getting the same negative response regarding Andress.

bond-and-ryder.jpg
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited August 2019 Posts: 2,541

Your physical attraction isn't being accounted for here. That's your own business.

Lashana isn't 'bald' - Christ, this conversation has been played out before, it's her natural hair. Afro hair grows that way - she could wear a weave, wig or relax it - but she has decided against it.

I think its kinda awesome that Eon have given the female lead of the film to an unknown black actress with dark skin. There is an important discussion there to be had over 'Western ideals of beauty' and how we are willing to tolerate beautiful ethic women as long as they conform to particular stereotypes. There is a noticeable problem with Hollywood trying to be 'inclusive' but falling into colourism pratfalls.

Zendaya said it best:

I suspect they won't be the only two hairstyles that Lashana will have in film.......If you saw Black Panther, you'd know how versatile Lupita Nyong'o's hair in that film is.

I think they will style it in multiple different ways throughout.

Sometimes you are just ugh.....
    It's not her colour but her look the way they are presenting her. I like black actresses and can name some attractive one's if you like to see. She just doesn't do it for me. Apart from that we may get to see some good to great scenes in the film. We will see about that. If you like her that's fine but stop with pin up and women empowerment. 60s female characters were far better and empowered than current pretentious ones. When I say that I like to watch an awesome female character it doesn't mean an masculine one but a more feminine Character. Give me honey Ryder, Tatiana Romanov and Fiona volpe any day over the pretentious characters you like to call sexy.
    Hold the phone…..I’m not saying anything against Ursuala Andress. In fact, in my post above, I’m imploring Eon and CJF to give us a scene of Ana De Armas in her bikini.

If you actually read what I wrote – I’m saying that there is room for both. You can have the more ‘pin-up’ style of Bond girl and you can have the more progressive depiction of a strong woman. It isn’t an ‘either or’ debate.

PWB has already said the film will depict strong independent women, but Bond’s mindset won’t have changed – he’s a creature from the 1950s after all – but the film will question his mindset and hold him accountable. Remember, this isn’t new for 2019 it happened in the respective Bond films in 1995 and 2006.

Plus….I totally agree with you that Andress was an empowering woman. The Bond films should always include beautiful people – in that frame you posted above both Connery and Andress are perfect specimens of humans – but the idea of ‘beauty’ has evolved.

The ‘cheesecake’ poster girls of yesteryear have died out – but the new era of ‘Intagram models’ now exist. I hope Eon embrace that. Women should celebrate being feminine. Believe me, I’m more than happy with that.

e62bbfd3ad40424fae7958188a364e60.jpg

I don’t find Lynch attractive. But I’m sure in the context of the story, we may come to like – perhaps even love – Nomi as a character. It’s early days, but I’m certainly rooting for Lynch.

190715-Lashana-Lynch_16bf59f56b5_large.jpg
    Hold the phone…..I’m not saying anything against Ursuala Andress. In fact, in my post above, I’m imploring Eon and CJF to give us a scene of Ana De Armas in her bikini.

If you actually read what I wrote – I’m saying that there is room for both. You can have the more ‘pin-up’ style of Bond girl and you can have the more progressive depiction of a strong woman. It isn’t an ‘either or’ debate.

PWB has already said the film will depict strong independent women, but Bond’s mindset won’t have changed – he’s a creature from the 1950s after all – but the film will question his mindset and hold him accountable. Remember, this isn’t new for 2019 it happened in the respective Bond films in 1995 and 2006.

Plus….I totally agree with you that Andress was an empowering woman. The Bond films should always include beautiful people – in that frame you posted above both Connery and Andress are perfect specimens of humans – but the idea of ‘beauty’ has evolved.

The ‘cheesecake’ poster girls of yesteryear have died out – but the new era of ‘Intagram models’ now exist. I hope Eon embrace that. Women should celebrate being feminine. Believe me, I’m more than happy with that.

I don’t find Lynch attractive. But I’m sure in the context of the story, we may come to like – perhaps even love – Nomi as a character. It’s early days, but I’m certainly rooting for Lynch.

Nice response (@Pierce2Daniel). Thanks for clearing that up.

EON take note of this comment.....and act on it...yum yum !!!
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 71
    Lashana Lynch is ugly but not because she's black.
    Naomie Harris, Halle Berry, Zendaya, Amber Stevens West, Laura Harrier... are hot black womans.
    Ana de Armas would be a perfect Bond girl. Talented, beautiful, sexy.
    But it is very likely that she play only a minor role.
    If Léa Seydoux becomes THE Bond girl again, that's fine, but Ana de Armas's supposedly small role is a huge waste.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

tenor.gif?itemid=12637473
    People need to stop thinking of Lashana in terms of "Bond girl", because that's not who she's going to be. And it doesn't matter how she will look then. They deliberately took someone who is more athletic and tough looking rather than sexy...
    Lashana is known for playing athletes and fighter pilots, i think thats exactly what she wants, she doesn't seem to be interested in traditional female leads in romantic roles.

Even though EoN didn't stop at making Grace Jones, who is cast in a similar mold, a conquest for Bond either... *face palm* lol.
    And in all honesty, all the "progress" that Lashana supposedly could "achive" (really none, and who cares anyway) has been already achived by countless other women, like Grace and most of all Judi. I don't think there will be much to her that will be controversial or offensive, people are greatly overestimating her contribution. But if it helps selling tickets, then whatever.

I hope the trailer will clarify some of that.