bond 23, the return of blofeld

124»

Comments

Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Could be interesting. It requires a lot of focus on the Quantum/SPECTRE backstory, which the movies have never particularly allowed for.

Which is stupid considering they have made the reboot, in effect, the Judi Dench show and given her more air time than needed.

There is space for Blofeld in the series...but not until Quantum are gone for good

True, true. Cut Dench out and they'd have half an hour of extra time for actual plot. Here's hoping for Bond 24.

Judi gets a bad rap far too often. Sure while she's been M the character has been given more air time in the films but I think that's the result of two things. 1) That she is a really great actress and people enjoy seeing her in the films because she is so good and 2) that all of the films that she's been in have involved stand-alone villains, and as such have required filler time to make up for less complex plots.

Having an organization like SPECTOR involved in the films allows more time to be spent on the villain and his henchmen in secret meetings and what not. They also allow for more complex and exciting missions for Bond as we get to see him go up against a whole organization of villains, rather than just one bad guy and his cronies. If there is a Spector or Quantum organization kicking around though and they are to be the center of the film, you are right, we will need to go back to Bernard Lee’s M-ship where Bond got a 3 – 4 minute briefing and then went about his business. Perhaps that's why they're bringing in Fiennes...
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Could be interesting. It requires a lot of focus on the Quantum/SPECTRE backstory, which the movies have never particularly allowed for.

Which is stupid considering they have made the reboot, in effect, the Judi Dench show and given her more air time than needed.

There is space for Blofeld in the series...but not until Quantum are gone for good

True, true. Cut Dench out and they'd have half an hour of extra time for actual plot. Here's hoping for Bond 24.

Judi gets a bad rap far too often. Sure while she's been M the character has been given more air time in the films but I think that's the result of two things. 1) That she is a really great actress and people enjoy seeing her in the films because she is so good and 2) that all of the films that she's been in have involved stand-alone villains, and as such have required filler time to make up for less complex plots.

Having an organization like SPECTOR involved in the films allows more time to be spent on the villain and his henchmen in secret meetings and what not. They also allow for more complex and exciting missions for Bond as we get to see him go up against a whole organization of villains, rather than just one bad guy and his cronies. If there is a Spector or Quantum organization kicking around though and they are to be the center of the film, you are right, we will need to go back to Bernard Lee’s M-ship where Bond got a 3 – 4 minute briefing and then went about his business. Perhaps that's why they're bringing in Fiennes...

I hope so. But I fear that with Fiennes on board they will feel the same obligation to 'make more' or him as they did with Judi.

Btw, I don't question that Dench is a good actress. It's just that these are Bond movies and not Bond and M movies, which is what they have come to feel like. IMO.
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I hope so. But I fear that with Fiennes on board they will feel the same obligation to 'make more' or him as they did with Judi.

Btw, I don't question that Dench is a good actress. It's just that these are Bond movies and not Bond and M movies, which is what they have come to feel like. IMO.

THIS is why Fiennes would be MUCH better off playing Blofeld!!!!!
  • I don't think Blofeld is vital to the success of Bond but they could of handled the character a hell of a lot better then they did. At this point in the franchise, with the whole reboot and exploring Bonds deeper character, when will there ever be a better time to reboot the character of Blofeld? They have a chance to do the part some justice. Sure they don't NEED to bring him back but it would definitely be interesting to see where they could go with it.
    I just thought of something. Silva (Bardem) is supposed to have a “very important relationship with Bond”. Also, Mallory (Fiennes) is supposed to be a government agent with authority over MI6, and even though he has been suspected to be the new M, he has received very little press, and almost nothing has been reviled about any of his scenes, other than apparently he will be seeing action as a character.

Theory: Could Silva be another “00” agent who goes rogue under the command of Mallory as a way to discredit or kill M (Judi) so that Mallory can take her place, and help support an evil mission for Quantum? Perhaps M is removed from her office early in the film because she’s blamed for the bombing and past failings, and Mallory takes her place early on. To help M investigate Silva and Mallory and see what they’re up too, Bond needs to fake his death. That would explain the “for a physical wreck” lines between Bond and Silva in the station because what is a dead man if not a really big physical wreck, (or maybe those lines were just put on for the media so they’d think go on a wild goose chase about physical wreck, when actually the dialogue will be: “Not bad James… for a dead man.” Just a thought. Anyway Bond faking his death to help M investigate Mallory would also explain the underground patchwork MI6 office that M takes Bond too, as she’ll only be able to get a skeleton crew to help her once she’s been stripped of her title, one of which will be a tech wizard capable of being a one man gadget department, Q. It would also explain why London seems to be such a hostile place for Bond throughout the film, and why so much action goes on there. Eventually Bond and M will have to flee London and hide from Mallory in the Skyfall Lodge, where tragically, she’ll be killed, but Bond will avenge her by trying to kill Mallory, which he will come close to doing, but in the end Mallory will escape the fight with Bond, with a scar over his eye, and it will be reviled that he is not actually British, but that he is Belgian, and that his name is not actually Mallory its… BLOFELD!!!