No Time to Die production thread

Comments

matt_u wrote: »
    So the first 20 minutes or so of the film will be full of subtitled explaining how much time has passed between scenes. That just sounds exhausting.....also it seems like poor storytelling to me as it's just too easy a device to explain thing simply for an audience......

Lol what are you talking about? Following this pattern you'd have:

MGM logo ---> Gunbarell ---> Prologue in Norway + PTS (for example, Madeleine wakes up in Matera after having a bad dream about a masked man terrorizing her on a lake, you don't need a subtitle explaining SHE was the young girl) --> Titles --> Bond is in Jamaica spending his time, meets Felix, quick bit about Madeleine or whatever pointing out the time jump. There are tons of ways to avoid the "X YEARS LATER" subtitle.

BTW, since Bond movies always have "location" subtitles, would've been such a drama having "Jamaica, 5 years later" instead of "Jamaica". I don't think so.

I really hope that is true....Here is my take:
    I think the film opens with the young Madeleine, but we only get approx 2 mins of the flashback before we realise it's some terrible dream she is having. Then we go to Matera where she most likely marries Bond and dies. Bond will likely blame himself as he suspects the killer was after him.

Then we head into the main-titles, which are followed by the subtitle: 'Jamaica, 5 years later'.

However......I suspect the Madeleine flashback will be significant later and we will see it in its entirety later in the film. I think Bond will come to discover that Madeline's assassin always intended to kill her and not him.

I think Malek's father was killed by a young Madeleine at the house. Since then, Malek has spent his life finding out more about his father's death and why he went to that house. I assume that Mr White was working on developing a 'dangerous new weapon' that Malek has inherited. I don't think he is in Spectre though.

Also more news on the 'hotel room' set in Matera:

http://www.sassilive.it/cultura-e-spettacoli/cinema-cultura-e-spettacoli/james-bond-mania-a-matera-selfie-dei-turisti-con-lhotel-balcony-build-allestito-nei-sassi-presso-piazzetta-pascoli-report-e-foto/

james-bond-25-2.jpg

james-bond-25.jpg
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    So the first 20 minutes or so of the film will be full of subtitled explaining how much time has passed between scenes. That just sounds exhausting.....also it seems like poor storytelling to me as it's just too easy a device to explain thing simply for an audience......

MGM logo ---> Gunbarell ---> Prologue in Norway + PTS (for example, Madeleine wakes up in Matera after having a bad dream about a masked man terrorizing her on a lake, you don't need a subtitle explaining SHE was the young girl) --> Titles --> Bond is in Jamaica spending his time, meets Felix, quick bit about Madeleine or whatever pointing out the time jump. There are tons of ways to avoid the "X YEARS LATER" subtitle.

BTW, since Bond movies always have "location" subtitles, would've been such a drama having "Jamaica, 5 years later" instead of "Jamaica". I don't think so.

I think the film opens with the young Madeleine, but we only get approx 2 mins of the flashback before we realise it's some terrible dream she is having. Then we go to Matera where she most likely marries Bond and dies. Bond will likely blame himself as he suspects the killer was after him.

Then we head into the main-titles, which are followed by the subtitle: 'Jamaica, 5 years later'.

However......I suspect the Madeleine flashback will be significant later and we will see it in its entirety later in the film. I think Bond will come to discover that Madeline's assassin always intended to kill her and not him.

I think Malek's father was killed by a young Madeleine at the house. Since then, Malek has spent his life finding out more about his father's death and why he went to that house. I assume that Mr White was working on developing a 'dangerous new weapon' that Malek has inherited. I don't think he is in Spectre though.

http://www.sassilive.it/cultura-e-spettacoli/cinema-cultura-e-spettacoli/james-bond-mania-a-matera-selfie-dei-turisti-con-lhotel-balcony-build-allestito-nei-sassi-presso-piazzetta-pascoli-report-e-foto/

james-bond-25-2.jpg

james-bond-25.jpg
    You're likely close, but the one hole in your take would be how Madeline visits Blofeld in prison. That seems to suggest she won't die in the PTS. I think it would be more likely if they go the OHMSS route that she'll be wounded but not killed.
    Minion wrote: »

james-bond-25-2.jpg

james-bond-25.jpg
    You're likely close, but the one hole in your take would be how Madeline visits Blofeld in prison. That seems to suggest she won't die in the PTS. I think it would be more likely if they go the OHMSS route that she'll be wounded but not killed.

Also, worth bearing in mind that...
    Rodrigo Perez is the source on the 'Madeleine visiting Blofeld rumour. He has also confirmed that the whole 'Nomi is 007' story is totally new to him and something creating by Phoebe Waller-Bridge. So things change.....

But I still think you could be on to something. It make sense for them not to 'fridge' Madeleine. But there have been rumours that she dies and Bond suffers depression after....

Also, I'm adoring the interior of that set. It's very reminiscent of Mark Tildesley's work on the rather fantastic 'Phantom Thread'.

PT_4_3.jpg

Perhaps CF pulls out all stops and contructs a timeline like a Tarantino film ;-).

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Babs at the press conference stated
    that the story starts with Bond in Jamaica. So why would she lie unless there is a significant spoiler in the PTS which ends up being the reason for him heading there in the first place. The obvious thing to point to is Madelines murder. If she is killed and then Bond is sent into depression, I think the flashback of her as a young girl may not come from her perspective. Also if she is involved in a cloning program its possible that Bond in the end is left with a child with her genoma, almost the daughter they never had symbolically
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    that the story starts with Bond in Jamaica. So why would she lie unless there is a significant spoiler in the PTS which ends up being the reason for him heading there in the first place. The obvious thing to point to is Madelines murder. If she is killed and then Bond is sent into depression, I think the flashback of her as a young girl may not come from her perspective. Also if she is involved in a cloning program its possible that Bond in the end is left with a child with her genoma, almost the daughter they never had symbolically

She said "The story starts in Jamaica", not "The film starts in Jamaica". Bonds journey, as far as the main plot is concerned, starts in Jamaica, since that's where Felix comes to visit him and where the main plot unfolds. The villain's scheme starts with the missing scientist.

But the film will probably start in Italy, as quite a lot of sources say Matera and the other Italy scenes will be the PTS. Which means that Italy will probably be more personal to Bond and may not have a connection to the main plan, or will appear so at first glance.

I agree that whatever happens in those Italy scenes, will have major consequences for the rest of the film, and that's why BB wasn't comfortable with giving it away.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Your last sentence is something that has occurred to me; done well, it could be incredibly poignant.

That sounds like a mixture of Leon the Professional and Prometheus. I´m sure Eon´s been considering this for a long time now.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 2,436

An interesting piece of trivia - every Bond film since The Living Daylights has had location subtitles.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Okay....so they are rebuilding the house from Norway in Swinley Forest

Not sure how related, but a controlled explosion was also done in the forest last week

Very interesting......the large amount of forestry that has grown would suggest that a lot of time has passed since the opening. Which would suggest that a flashback. Clearly Madeleine's childhood is essential to the plot.

XskeQsV_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

That rainbow coat. It screams 80s-90s and thus flashback.

That coat is available now from M&S, it's very 2019.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/ombre-padded-coat-3-16-years-/p/p60207119
    Has anyone considered that the flashback with young Madeleine isn't as prominent as first thought, and is really on 2-5s of screen time. Kind of like the Bourne movies with their flashbacks
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Does anyone know what actor's are going to be filming their scenes in Italy?

Daniel Craig, Lashana Lynch, Rami Malek... at least.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2019 Posts: 4,343

So sounds really like a hotel room, maybe Bond and Madeleine honeymoon retreat. I think it was you suggesting this set to be blown up, and I think you're right.

Funny thing about Sassilive... I didn't report the news for obvious reasons bu those funny guys made an article about Waltz replacing Malek as Blofeld, aka the main villain of the film.

At least they made another interview with Enzo Sisti, confirming the 19th of August as the beginning of filming. Cary and Linus are already in South Italy since a week or so and during some Matera filming they will need 1200 extras. In Mexico City were 1500. Sounds like those shooting are goin to be logistically so much complicated.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Does anyone know what actor's are going to be filming their scenes in Italy?

Daniel Craig, Lashana Lynch, Rami Malek... at least.

Sure? Looks like the first time Bond meets Nomi is in Jamaica. Maybe she's part of the sequence but never meets Bond.
    Set preparation has also definitely started in Gravina in Puglia last week (official statement from the town about traffic limitations for this reason on August 8th and 9th): https://comune.gravina.ba.it/in-allestimento-il-set-del-nuovo-film-della-saga-di-james-bond/

The main area concerns 'Archeologica de Padre Eterno e il Bastione Medievale" and filming over there is planned until late September.
    9977-800x600.jpg
    p702_1_00.png
    tour-emozionale-1200x480.png
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Okay....so they are rebuilding the house from Norway in Swinley Forest

Not sure how related, but a controlled explosion was also done in the forest last week

Very interesting......the large amount of forestry that has grown would suggest that a lot of time has passed since the opening. Which would suggest that a flashback. Clearly Madeleine's childhood is essential to the plot.

XskeQsV_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

That rainbow coat. It screams 80s-90s and thus flashback.

That coat is available now from M&S, it's very 2019.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/ombre-padded-coat-3-16-years-/p/p60207119

Maybe, but it looks like something that could easily have been worn in the 90s.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2019 Posts: 7,969
    Its either a young Madeline in a flashback, or its a girl made from Madelines Genoma who Bond has to find and protect. Sort of a prototype clone.

Nostalgia is always roughly thirty years behind. In the 80's people were nostalgic for 50's, in the 2010's people were nostalgic for 80's, and in 2020's people will be nostalgic for 90's. So it makes sense that the coat fits both eras equally.
  • manovermanover uk
    I have a feeling that matera will not just be featured in the PTS.
    I wish people stopped about that clone theory. It's unsubstantiated.
    Human cloning sounds very far-fetched for 007.
    LiamHC wrote: »
    I could potentially accept it in a Brosnan-type movie, but the Craig movies have prided themselves on being realistic. Nothing in the previous four films have set up the possibility of such a silly idea, even if it has some basis of scientific reality.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 7,889
    Well as far as the scene with the young girl being a flashback or present time, if the coat she’s wearing is a contemporary item, no matter how retro it looks, I seriously doubt it’s a flashback. Costume designers go to great lengths to be authentic and accurate. My Daughter works in s high end vintage shop here in New Orleans; we have a thriving film industry and costume designers are regularly contacting the shop looking for period appropriate clothing.
    If that sequence is set in the late 90s it’s almost certain that authentic clothing would have been used.

Is it possible that the photos and footage were from rehearsals and that she will not be wearing that jacket in the actual film?
    If so, it points to a flashback of a young Swann.

Even in pure scifi settings cloning can easily derail. Star Trek Nemesis is a fine example.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Is it possible that the photos and footage were from rehearsals and that she will not be wearing that jacket in the actual film?

The girl has the jacket on in this clip at least:

Oh, I know, but is this the shot that will be in the film? I very well may be ... but maybe not.

The plot of the 007 game Agent Under Fire was cloning.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Has it been established that the dude in that clip wearing the mask is supposed to be Rami’s character?
    Nothing’s been established. Nothing.

;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Univex wrote: »

;)
    And that makes me even more excited for this film :)
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »

;)
    And that makes me even more excited for this film :)
    Yep. Me too.
    Doesn’t he have a “ motion” or “movement “ coach? Perhaps he has a permanent limp from this encounter.

Oh, I know, but is this the shot that will be in the film? I very well may be ... but maybe not.

Who knows? One would assume that every shot – a "test run" or not, would feature the actors in the clothing they're supposed to be wearing…? Or am I way off here?