THE TOM SELLECK THREAD- Let's discuss Magnum, Indy, Rockford Files and Quigley.

I missed out on the Tom Selleck discussion going on in the B25 thread, so it seemed an excellent idea to start a new thread devoted to Tom.

I've maintained the opinion if Indy ever does get recast, Selleck should re-claim the role!. That would be pretty funny at this point.

Still, had he taken the part for RAIDERS, I imagine it would have been a hit. Anything done by Spielberg at that time was pretty much gold. He just would have been a completely different leading man. I can picture him being more molded into a thirties Clark Gable style hero. Although the film was modeled on the serials of that era that more or less starred B movie actors.

Comments

Tom Selleck IS Magnum, PI. Love that series so I’m glad he didn’t do Indy! I got a chance to swim in the “Robin’s Nest” tidal pool last year when I was on O’ahu. Magical experience that was!! Of course the sad news is that the estate was demolished last spring. But I still got a chance to see it back in 2008 when I visited O’ahu then. It’s probably my favorite place on the island!
    Tom Selleck IS Magnum, PI. Love that series so I’m glad he didn’t do Indy! I got a chance to swim in the “Robin’s Nest” tidal pool last year when I was on O’ahu. Magical experience that was!! Of course the sad news is that the estate was demolished last spring. But I still got a chance to see it back in 2008 when I visited O’ahu then. It’s probably my favorite place on the island!

Any photos ?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Interesting that this has popped up. I am working on a chapter for a book, and I discuss (a little bit) Selleck's wearing of a Detroit Tigers hat on the show. In many ways, it was Magnum PI that made wearing ball caps "cool."
    TripAces wrote: »
    Interesting that this has popped up. I am working on a chapter for a book, and I discuss (a little bit) Selleck's wearing of a Detroit Tigers hat on the show. In many ways, it was Magnum PI that made wearing ball caps "cool."

He wears ball caps on the JESSE STONE TV films as well. He also made Hawaiian shirts cool back in the '80's.
    I should watch more MAGNUM episodes. I have season 4, but none of the others. I'll eventually get them all.
    I haven't seen the new MAGNUM series, but from what I'm told it's pretty faithful in spirit to the original, unlike the MACGYVER remake.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

He wears ball caps on the JESSE STONE TV films as well. He also made Hawaiian shirts cool back in the '80's.
    I should watch more MAGNUM episodes. I have season 4, but none of the others. I'll eventually get them all.
    I haven't seen the new MAGNUM series, but from what I'm told it's pretty faithful in spirit to the original, unlike the MACGYVER remake.

I didn’t like the new series x Magnum looks Latino ffs !!
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    New Magnum is a pint sized nicky-nacky. Selleck should've done what McQueen did to get out of his contract...

the real shocker is that he's a director of the NRA, which makes him dangerous and a man with blood on his hands.
    I suppose you can't just put any actor in a Detroit Tiger's hat and call him Magnum. There's only one. Just like I'd never accept anyone but James Garner as Rockford or Henry Winkler as The Fonz.
    Lassiter (1984) with the Yummy Jane Seymour, showing far more of her assets than you'd expect, in gentleman-thief adventure movie, which should have been more popular and perhaps have a few sequels too.

barryt007 wrote: »

Any photos ?
    Well the surf was pretty strong that day and the tide was pretty high - water went up to the steps at the rear gate. So I wasn’t about to risk my brand new iPhone X by taking it into the water. But it was a glorious and sunny day and I spent about 2 hours just lazying around and swimming in the tidal pool. I even recreated the sneak up to the rear gate that Magnum did in the pilot episode, to check for the dogs. No Zeus or Apollo in sight. LOL! Nor Higgy-baby :)
    I’ll try to dig up some pics of the front gate though and what I could spot of the grounds from the front. Stay tuned...
    barryt007 wrote: »

Any photos ?
    Well the surf was pretty strong that day and the tide was pretty high - water went up to the steps at the rear gate. So I wasn’t about to risk my brand new iPhone X by taking it into the water. But it was a glorious and sunny day and I spent about 2 hours just lazying around and swimming in the tidal pool. I even recreated the sneak up to the rear gate that Magnum did in the pilot episode, to check for the dogs. No Zeus or Apollo in sight. LOL! Nor Higgy-baby :)
    I’ll try to dig up some pics of the front gate though and what I could spot of the grounds from the front. Stay tuned...

Haha Zeus and Apollo , I forgot about them biting Magnums arse !
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Lassiter (1984) with the Yummy Jane Seymour, showing far more of her assets than you'd expect, in gentleman-thief adventure movie, which should have been more popular and perhaps have a few sequels too.

I saw that film in the cinema when it was released. I always liked it.
    You can do no wrong with Jane Seymour.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Maybe I am missing something but what's Selleck's connection to the Rockford Files? I think of Jim Garner as Rockford. Did Selleck star in a reboot?

I love the story of him being in ROTLA and I can see him doing the role justice. I am not sure if just anyone starring as Indy makes that movie a hit. While Ford wasn't exactly a household name he was fairly well known as Solo. I think the star cache of Ford pulled in more viewers then if Selleck had played the role.

I always seem to enjoy whatever Selleck chooses. He seems to know what his own limitations are and plays within them quite well.
    Too bad that the show Jesse Stone was not been continued I really liked Tom in this part and it was a really good part that felt like Selleck had always played the part.
    Selleck guest-starred in Rockford.

IIRC, at one point, Selleck told James Garner he had been offered a project (Magnum P.I.) and the studio really wanted him for it, but he didn't like the script, which at the time was a more "James Bond" type of story. Selleck asked Garner for an opinion on whether to push for changes to the script or stick with it, since the studio was so eager for him to star and it was a major opportunity for him. Garner told him that whatever choice he made, he had to consider that if the studio wanted him, that meant he was in a powerful position, maybe one to be never repeated, so it was as good a time as any to request a rewrite. So Selleck pushed for changes and then starred in the show, which of course became a big hit.
    Too bad that the show Jesse Stone was not been continued I really liked Tom in this part and it was a really good part that felt like Selleck had always played the part.

I agree. I don't think it's dead for good, however.
    mattjoes wrote: »

I agree. I don't think it's dead for good, however.

It would need a MAJOR reboot with an actor that at least has the charm and persona of Tom.
    The one that's on at the moment is naff.

I recorded the whole series,watched one,and deleted the lot - it wasn't Magnum to me at all.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 15,785
    thedove wrote: »
    Maybe I am missing something but what's Selleck's connection to the Rockford Files? I think of Jim Garner as Rockford. Did Selleck star in a reboot?

I love the story of him being in ROTLA and I can see him doing the role justice. I am not sure if just anyone starring as Indy makes that movie a hit. While Ford wasn't exactly a household name he was fairly well known as Solo. I think the star cache of Ford pulled in more viewers then if Selleck had played the role.

I always seem to enjoy whatever Selleck chooses. He seems to know what his own limitations are and plays within them quite well.

Selleck appeared in two episodes of ROCKFORD as detective Lance White. "White on White and Nearly perfect", and "Nice Guys Finish Dead".
    His character is perfect in the sense that clues seems to fall into his lap and everything plays out like a movie in his life. He also speaks like a character in a cliched adventure movie, which annoys Jim. In addition, the police love him and everyone admires him. Both of those episodes are so much fun they rank easily in my top five.

"Don't worry, Jim. Things have a way of working out. They always do".

rockford-selleck.jpg
    Loved Magnum growing up. The casting of all the characters was just spot on. Had many laughs watching this great TV show.