Shaft Reboot Back in Big Screen 2019

edited February 2019 in General Movies & TV Posts: 820
Created & the Author of the character Ernest Tidyman of a American Black Private Detective. It started on screen in 1971 with Richard Roundtree as the main lead Character who was in the An Eye for An Eye where Christopher Lee was Sanchez type Villain Chuck Norris as the hero. Before this that Richard Roundtree 3 tele movies of Shaft. Shaft, Shaft Big Score & Shaft in Africa & then his 7 episode of TV series which end in Cancelation. Later he starred in movie Shaft in 2000 as Uncle John Shaft when (SWAT & Star Wars) Samuel L Jackson starred the role as his nephew who follows in footsteps. Never Sequels. At that time Sean Connery was doing Diamond are foreverfollowed Roger Moore era. 2 Felix Leithers David Hedison in one of 7 episode TV series & Jeffrey Wright in 2000 movie version as Mob where Christian Bale as Villain who does a deal with him. Now recently there plan of Reboot maybe a tele-movie or Big Screen. Talks if a White or Chinese actor but I want it to remain as Black actor to compete with Denzel Washington's The Equalizer. I got few Black actor Idris Elba for the role instead of James Bond role the few British Black actors can go for it too. As Well the American Black actors. They say Hotter then Bond & Cooler then Bullet.
Also the Shaft Comics from the same comics James Bond. Dynamite comics. So you Shaft buy them & enjoy them.

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    More Samuel Jackson style - older actor
    740full-brooklyn's-finest-screenshot.jpg
    Don Cheadle

if more of Luther style / younger actor:

complicit-460x259.jpgmainImage5.jpg
    David Oyelowo. Some day i like to see him playing Felix Leiter.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Maybe a white actor should play Shaft now? ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Wasn't there a talk of a parody comedy version of Shaft to be produced last year? I heavily opposed to the idea of a parody, which I view as an insult to the character.

As for a proposed new TV Series, I think Idris Elba will do the role some justice. His character in The Gunman (with Sean Penn) had the traits that of Shaft's a lot.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 2,341
    They did a Shaft movie starring Samuel L Jackson back in 2000. It wasn't a bad film as reboots and remakes go.
    I think Don Cheadle is too slight in build to be bad ass John Shaft. Idris Elba could pull it off. We know he can hide his cockney accent (go watch Seasons 1-3 of The Wire)
    Samuel L Jackson's Shaft was not a reboot nor a remake, though. It was a continuation of the old Shaft films.
    Jeffrey Wright can't be the new Shaft because he already played Villain. He should reprise his Felix Liether role. There couple of the Fast Chris"Ludacris" Bridges or Tyrese Gibson
    I think seriously that this a part that Daniel Craig should do, I am sure he can be convincing in the part.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I think seriously that this a part that Daniel Craig should do, I am sure he can be convincing in the part.
    Right on! :D
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 820
    Jessie T. Usher will be Shaft but son of Shaft. Yep 2000 during the Australian Olympic games The Shaft movie with Samuel Jackson. Now Sequel from that movie. Samuel Jackson is reprise his John Shaft role which is good.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/moives/news/880677-jessie-t-is-the-son-of-shaft
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 820
    You might had seen the Trailer yesterday Now He return & Now Original John Shaft is a grandfather. It going to be great. It might rival Denzel Washington The Equalizer .
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,131
    If Idris Elba is a supposedly sane choice for Bond, why not have Colin Firth as Shaft??? NOT.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I want a white lesbian as Shaft!
    Hey, Elba fans, why not? Surely we can overlook skin colour and "gender" and such. Little do those things matter when you're looking for a "black private dick who's a sex machine to all the chicks".
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    If Melissa Mccarthy misses out on becoming the next Batman, she gets my vote as the next Shaft, Joan Shaft.
    How about Ruby Rose? That woman is hotter than the Sun. Nevermind that she doesn't look like Shaft in any possible way! I've been told that such things don't matter, so there you have it. And since anything goes in the PC world, how about a child actor? Or a cat? We had Superpup back in the day; why not Kittenshaft?

No no, I'm being very serious here! "Where is it written--except in Fleming's books and what did he know--that James Bond has to be a white male?" Well, where is it written--except in common sense but what does that count for--that Shaft must be a black man?
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 6,665
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Hey, Elba fans, why not? Surely we can overlook skin colour and "gender" and such. Little do those things matter when you're looking for a "black private dick who's a sex machine to all the chicks".
    +1
    Heck, what about Amiyah Scott as Shaft?
    GettyImages-633901988-1515695753.jpg?quality=0.85&format=jpg&width=480
    BTW, that Shaft trailer that just came out is plain embarrassing. A comedy? Really?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    How about Ruby Rose? That woman is hotter than the Sun. Nevermind that she doesn't look like Shaft in any possible way! I've been told that such things don't matter, so there you have it. And since anything goes in the PC world, how about a child actor? Or a cat? We had Superpup back in the day; why not Kittenshaft?

No no, I'm being very serious here! "Where is it written--except in Fleming's books and what did he know--that James Bond has to be a white male?" Well, where is it written--except in common sense but what does that count for--that Shaft must be a black man?

A character is many facets indeed, I have often said if Bond became a woman or Wonder Woman became a man then they would be entirely different characters.
    Wonder Man. :))
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Turning Shaft into an outright comedy is a big mistake--watching the trailer I'm trying to convince myself it's a flip ad campaign for what's hopefully a tougher film. But I'm not convincing myself a bit.

Blacksploitation films have already been expertly and lovingly parodied with Black Dynamite and Undercover Brother and others. A property like Shaft is the last type of film that should sell out, but since it already went mainstream big-budget a comedy actually isn't a stretch. Just disappointing.

So bring back Dolemite and Cleopatra Jones or their equals. As tough action films with a sense of humor.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm quite positive about Shaft. Roundtree and Jackson look like they're having the time of their life in the trailer.
    Univex wrote: »
    +1
    BTW, that Shaft trailer that just came out is plain embarrassing. A comedy? Really?

She make good Woman Shaft
    Agent7F wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    +1

She make good Woman Shaft

Only if she can be her niece but none this gay talks. She can be great fighting violet husband who beat their wives & fight human trafficking
    I'm doing a little SHAFT retrospective in preparation for the new film which, if all goes well, I'll be seeing the day after tomorrow. Has anyone seen it yet?
    I'm doing a little SHAFT retrospective in preparation for the new film which, if all goes well, I'll be seeing the day after tomorrow. Has anyone seen it yet?

It's not even playing at any of the theaters where I live. It came and went.
    Netflix has it.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 15,785
    Netflix has it.

Wow! Funny the movie was released less than a month and half ago. I do want to see it, actually.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Netflix has it.

Wow! Funny the movie was released less than a month and half ago. I do want to see it, actually.

Yeah, I'm curious too. I like SHAFT ('71), I love SHAFT'S SCORE and I don't dislike SHAFT IN AFRICA like I know some do. I actually saw the 2000 film in theatres and had a modestly good time with it. I know the recent one rated poorly but I don't care about that. I'll see it first and pass judgement later. :)
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Netflix has it.

Yeah, I'm curious too. I like SHAFT ('71), I love SHAFT'S SCORE and I don't dislike SHAFT IN AFRICA like I know some do. I actually saw the 2000 film in theatres and had a modestly good time with it. I know the recent one rated poorly but I don't care about that. I'll see it first and pass judgement later. :)

Me, too. I liked all the Shaft movies. The TV series was a bit weak by comparison, but Roundtree made up for it.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I don't see Shaft available on Netflix. But that would be awesome.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It wasn't a very good Shaft film but I enjoyed it all the same. Some good laughs.