"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    [
    Murdock wrote: »
    Yeah that's the biggest problem their approach to serialized shows. It's a rushed mess with no time to breath. It's QoS on fast forward. It gives you no time to care about anything. Making the show pointless.

My buddy Alan Van Sprang plays Leland on the show. I haven't watched the second season yet, but I will support him and do so. How'd you guys like him in the role?
    In the episodes that have aired he has appeared briefly (I had to Google the character) without giving anything away he appears to be an interesting character within a certain organisation.

Yes he is involved @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, with a certain organization. He had a blast filming the season.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    [
    Yeah that's the biggest problem their approach to serialized shows. It's a rushed mess with no time to breath. It's QoS on fast forward. It gives you no time to care about anything. Making the show pointless.

My buddy Alan Van Sprang plays Leland on the show. I haven't watched the second season yet, but I will support him and do so. How'd you guys like him in the role?

I like him! I remember him on The Tudors.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    echo wrote: »
    [

I like him! I remember him on The Tudors.

Yes! He's also on Reign. ANd Mindhunters.

I coached his boy in hockey, then Alan became my assistant coach.

He's a fabulous gent, @echo ...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I've enjoyed both seasons, so this is good news to me. It would be great to see other aliens that we're familiar with though, as the universe feels somewhat empty.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Binged several episodes and I was wavering as the show was stuttering then Episode 8 happened, @Murdock there is some awesome stuff in this.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, should I pull the trigger and start watching the season or just start with episode 8?
    Watch it all, mate. Pike's a very likeable character too.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, should I pull the trigger and start watching the season or just start with episode 8?

You will need to watch all the episodes to get context, there are scenes with some characters in this series that are good. I have just decided to ignore some of the sub plots that have irritating characters in, the main plot has my attention thankfully.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    So, season 2 of ST-Discovery is over and I wonder if there is a future for this show (even though a 3rd season has been ordered). For me, it was a very mixed bag at best.

I did like the look of the show. The CGI and set design is outstanding, Star Trek never looked better. The actors/actresses are mostly great (although e.g. I don't get why L'Rell cannot articulate without a strong lisp) but I just don't become invested in it. There are so many problems with the show.

First, everything revolves around Michael Burnham, and she constantly has to save her brother, herself or the known universe, has had to cry for half of the season and, while generally being a nice person, she just is a bit too much the center of it all.

Second, we have had a Discovery-crew on the bridge for 2 seasons now and know hardly anything about them. Action is front and center all the time, but it is very poorly balanced with character-building. Where are the stories with a human touch?

Any thoughts on this? Is anyone really looking forward to that 3rd season?
    I've enjoyed the two seasons, but yes, it would be cool to focus on characters other than Burnham. Completely agree about the characters on the bridge, I'd like to know more about them. For example, I remember early in season 1, spotting Airiam and thought she had an interesting look. I was curious to know more of her backstory; how she became an augment. We then went for almost two seasons not knowing anything about Airiam, so when she suddenly gets a whole episode focusing on her, it's obvious she's gonna get killed off. I wanted to feel something when she died, but couldn't, as I had not been invested in the character. What we knew was too little too late.

On another note, one thing I enjoy about ST is when the team explore unknown planets, discovering new lifeforms etc. I'd like to see more of that moving forward.

Interested to see what has become of Discovery and its crew in the future.
    I stopped watching season 2 after episode 8, my intention was to binge watch the rest of the season when it finishes which I will do next week.
  • I've only watched S1 which I thought was just 'okay', is S2 a significant improvement?
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,102
    The inclusion of Captain Pike is the major plus in S2, though Burnhan is still written as the center of the universe, which is problematic. The first 8 episodes were a very mixed bag though there was one or two good episodes in there
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Professional critics more or less agree that season 2 is an improvement, but I do not think so. The whole storyline is so convoluted, I don't really know sometimes what just happened (or why) and frequently find myself reading the first summaries online. Of course doing this, one gets confronted with the criticisms that others have (or have not), to the point that the show annoyed me more than it excited me.

But Anson Mount as acting Captain Pike was a big improvement. So was the fact that the short cuts are essential viewing also, especially the Saru-centered one. And really, if I see Burnham with teared-up eyes once again, I'll fast forward to the next scene.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'm a longtime Star Trek fan but haven't seen Discovery; I don't have CBS prime, Based on what I've it's been all over the place and really didn't live up to the claim of being set in the "Prime" universe.

It appears that next season they will used the sci-fi crutch , time travel ,to get them out of the messy corner they seem to be in.
  • Thanks guys, I definitely won't rush to watch this season then. Sonequa Martin-Green's Burnham just didn't work much for me. I usually felt more annoyed by her character and if there is more of that in S2, eh.

I have just binge watched the last 6 episodes, this show is far from perfect though when it is good its bloody good, that two part finale... I wont mention what is reminds me of though its worth watching the full season for the insanity that ensues.

One scene with Pike a few episodes earlier... awesome!

Contains major spoilers
    Everything we learned from the Star Trek Discovery season 3 SDCC 2019 panel - including the return of Spock in Short Treks
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesradar.com/uk/amp/star-trek-discovery-season-3-spock-short-treks-time-jump-sdcc-2019/
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I figured they wouldn’t waste those nice Enterprise sets for just the two part finale. If we can’t get a full series with Pike, Spock and Number One, it’s cooler we get some Short Treks so it always leaves us wanting more.
    The Enterprise was the highlight of season 2 for sure
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    The trailer for season 3 of "Star Trek: Discovery" has been released. Here it is. Including some good screencaps I made:

Two links to international trailers (no geolock):
    https://trekmovie.com/2019/10/05/watch-new-trailer-for-star-trek-discovery-season-3/
    https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-trek-discovery-season-three-short-treks-nycc

An important race from DS9 is back: the Trill!
    oMy4KTR.jpg
    2B3OyjZ.jpg
    I3DMAmg.jpg

Michael Burnham's new look:
    5UiHG1V.jpg
    hgXlB48.jpg
    S7EJCZ6.jpg

The United Federation of Planets' new look 930 years into the future (and the new Federation President?):
    6KlhURU.jpg
    wh7i8yH.jpg
    Re8gFvP.jpg

New members of the crew:
    G2iODqW.jpg
    hMAGXih.jpg

Alien vistas and the Andorians:
    g3KQ6mE.jpg
    Urg4dPy.jpg
    Are we excited for the fact that now finally with both "Discovery" season 3 and "Picard" they won't go into further prequel-ling? In the sense that it moves forward for once? To me its interesting to set this season 930 years into the future. Andddd.......the Trill are back too.
    Re-configuring DISCO to the concept of 23rd century crew members trying to restore the Federation of the far future seems like a solid concept, perhaps exactly where the show should have gone in the first place. Also digging Burnham's new look.

Same here. Although I'm a bit worried about 'restoring' things. Will it again be the cheap time travel reset button at the end of season 3?
    Whst do you say @MakeshiftPython 😊?
    edited October 2020 Posts: 23,102
    STD: Season 3 Sneak peak, Spoilers!

And...

All about Burman again it would seem
  • DaltonFanDaltonFan California
    My sort of ranking of the Star Trek tv series?:
    1. Deep Space Nine
    2. The Next Generation
    3. The Original Series
    4. Discovery -Season 2 (I have no plans to watch season 1 at this time and I haven't gotten around to watching season 3 yet).
    5. Voyager
    6. Picard
    7. Enterprise
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Fair ranking, though I’d probably switch TNG and TOS.