Who should be a Bond girl?

Comments

peter wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    If true, why threatened? There have been some interesting studies done on men who are threatened by the progress of women— whether it be in countries that ban women from the vote and driving and so on, or right here in Western culture.
    The problem usually resides with how much, or how little, dangles— if you get my poor attempt at subtlety

Who says im threatened? I was simply stating that according to recent reports,its apparently not proper to use the '' Bond girls '' title on the Bond movie set.I do think its nonsense though.

Ah i miss the good old days..

1496328309-bond2.gif

Actually, I’m saying your threatened.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Not really @AstonLotus, you asked, "Who says I'm threatened".

I answered.

And that's what I was saying in my original post about men who feel threatened by the progress of women.

That's all. Not bait. Just an opinion based on the things you've written about re: the latest developments on B25.

Ok il bite.

Fun fact: My favourite movie of all time is Aliens.Guess what? It has a strong female lead in Sigourney Weavers Ripley.My favourite superhero movie of the last few years has been Wonder Woman.

To dismiss those who criticize the #Metoo craziness as those who are against strong female charcters is ridiculous.Audiences want good movies with well written CHARACTERS.It doesnt matter whether they are male or female.What most people dont want are SJW obessed delusional idiots like Brie Larson and Tessa Thompson who think they are the first actresses who have played strong female role models in film who clearly have not watched any movies or tv shows over the last four decades or so.If they had they would know that there has always been strong women in the industry.

Keep your gender and identity politics out of our entertainment ladies!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    932902f8514c8ea43095dbf956450efb.jpg
    Jessica Rothe who was in that cool little horror film Happy Death Day

Would make a good Bond girl I think....😍
  • peterpeter Toronto
    If true, why threatened? There have been some interesting studies done on men who are threatened by the progress of women— whether it be in countries that ban women from the vote and driving and so on, or right here in Western culture.
    The problem usually resides with how much, or how little, dangles— if you get my poor attempt at subtlety

Who says im threatened? I was simply stating that according to recent reports,its apparently not proper to use the '' Bond girls '' title on the Bond movie set.I do think its nonsense though.

Ah i miss the good old days..

1496328309-bond2.gif

Actually, I’m saying your threatened.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Not really @AstonLotus, you asked, "Who says I'm threatened".

I answered.

And that's what I was saying in my original post about men who feel threatened by the progress of women.

That's all. Not bait. Just an opinion based on the things you've written about re: the latest developments on B25.

Ok il bite.

Fun fact: My favourite movie of all time is Aliens.Guess what? It has a strong female lead in Sigourney Weavers Ripley.My favourite superhero movie of the last few years has been Wonder Woman.

To dismiss those who criticize the #Metoo craziness as those who are against strong female charcters is ridiculous.Audiences want good movies with well written CHARACTERS.It doesnt matter whether they are male or female.What most people dont want are SJW obessed delusional idiots like Brie Larson and Tessa Thompson who think they are the first actresses who have played strong female role models in film who clearly have not watched any movies or tv shows over the last four decades or so.If they had they would know that there has always been strong women in the industry.

Keep your gender and identity politics out of our entertainment ladies!

I didn't expect you to "bite" and I wasn't asking you too.

I'm not dismissing anyone's opinion. It's your tone. Without knowing how they're going to execute this plot point, you seemed triggered by it, and that angry and bitter tone has leaked into some of your other recent posts.

I get you don't like the Craig era all that much; obviously you can't stomach him as Bond. That's fine.

In the end, if B25 isn't your cup of tea, (and it hasn't even finished shooting(!)), then perhaps you should skip this one? Enjoy all Bond films, books, comics and wait it out for B26 and a new actor?

On a side note, I agree that audiences want great stories with wonderful characters.

My question to you would be: how'd you know B25 won't be a good story with wonderful characters? Why do you assume with such vitriol that Nomi will be some political figure, instead of a strong female role model? Why'd you assume this?

What I see is a smart decision by the writers, and the producers, to open the door to more audience members. After all, the name of the game in the film industry is putting bums in seats.

You claim to like strong female characters, yet you assume Nomi will be what? A role catering to "the obsessed, delusional idiots out there like Brie Larson and Tessa Thompson"? You don't have much faith, do you? In the process? Of the history of EoN? That, or your anger has got the better of you.

I think Nomi will add to the humour and sexual tension of the film, but I could be wrong. I'll just wait and see. I'd advise you to do the same, but it seems you've made your decision before the film's even in the can.
    There has always been strong women in Bond films, the BS I read bores me.

I agree with you; love the women in the 60s. Sylvia Trench, out late, gambling, smoking, drinking, breaks into a stranger’s home just to get laid. Love her.

I love Honey.

Tatiana.

Jill, Tilly and Pussy.

Major crushes on Paula, Fiona and Domino.

Love Aki.

Tracy (alongside Dan’s gal) is my number ones by far...

It goes on and on until Triple X and Goodhead and even Melina... Here’s where it started to feel like the series was starting to pay the tokens, instead of three dimensional, sensual women.

I’d argue that Octopussy was a return to the old ways, so was Lupe (not Pam, although she was very sexy); Xenia was terrific and fun and over the top, hated her motherly-screaming counterpart in Natalya; liked the idea of Paris and found Wai Lin sexless; loved Elektra, disliked Christmas; Jinx was gorgeous and unbelievably bad, with Miranda being on the nose-stupidity (but at least they tried to suggest she was bi); the real women returned in the Craig era: Vesper (my fave with Tracy), Camille, Solange and Fields, Severine, Lucia, and, to a lesser degree Madeleine.

Bond has had many real and strong women. B25 will continue that tradition.

Some great examples there @peter I think certain media outlets and fans have selective memory, or they were just not paying attention

It's like a charade the press go through with every new Bond film. Pussy Galore I think is probably still the toughest Bond girl. Who would tell Honor Blackman to her face that she was some weakling? Having said that, the "seduction scene" is a bit embarassing.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2019 Posts: 8,254
    Getafix wrote: »
    There has always been strong women in Bond films, the BS I read bores me.

I agree with you; love the women in the 60s. Sylvia Trench, out late, gambling, smoking, drinking, breaks into a stranger’s home just to get laid. Love her.

I love Honey.

Tatiana.

Jill, Tilly and Pussy.

Major crushes on Paula, Fiona and Domino.

Love Aki.

Tracy (alongside Dan’s gal) is my number ones by far...

It goes on and on until Triple X and Goodhead and even Melina... Here’s where it started to feel like the series was starting to pay the tokens, instead of three dimensional, sensual women.

I’d argue that Octopussy was a return to the old ways, so was Lupe (not Pam, although she was very sexy); Xenia was terrific and fun and over the top, hated her motherly-screaming counterpart in Natalya; liked the idea of Paris and found Wai Lin sexless; loved Elektra, disliked Christmas; Jinx was gorgeous and unbelievably bad, with Miranda being on the nose-stupidity (but at least they tried to suggest she was bi); the real women returned in the Craig era: Vesper (my fave with Tracy), Camille, Solange and Fields, Severine, Lucia, and, to a lesser degree Madeleine.

Bond has had many real and strong women. B25 will continue that tradition.

Some great examples there @peter I think certain media outlets and fans have selective memory, or they were just not paying attention

It's like a charade the press go through with every new Bond film. Pussy Galore I think is probably still the toughest Bond girl. Who would tell Honor Blackman to her face that she was some weakling? Having said that, the "seduction scene" is a bit embarassing.

If anything, Bond's been ahead of the curve, especially in these early films. Apart from a few hiccups (a product of the time), the women were NOT mindless ditsy playthings, for the most part. Think of the first film, and even a minor part like the photographer/Annabel Chung-- she was fierce, animalistic and fearless!;

Tatiana is a very real character; an innocent, young woman caught up and used in the world of espionage... The list goes on and on...

In the early films, they didn't have to force the case of a woman being Bond's equal-- they just were: Pussy, Aki, even Kissy; Tracy was equally as reckless and dangerous as Bond, but it was organic to the story.

The slip ups in female characterization came when they forced the "this time she's Bond's equal" angle: Triple X, Goodhead, and to a lesser extent Melina; Pam; the screaming, hen-pecker Natalya (let's mother/smother Bond in this one); the (as mentioned yesterday), sexless Wai Lin (sure she could fight, but she and Bond were just so bloody vanilla it was hard to watch; they were going through the steps coz it hasta happen in a Bond film); Jinx... All of these women were just one dimensional cartoons of Bond's equal...

To me, the Craig era brought value back to the female roles (Madeleine, on paper, should have been as good as those that came before (except for Vesper-- she's the one that all fail to live up to); as @00Heaven stated earlier, I hope (I actually believe), that Maddy gets "fixed" in B25 (with Fukunaga and PWB on the case, I have no doubt the re-booted Madeleine will be vivacious in character, and someone we can all fall in love with).
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 11,425
    I basically agree. Although is XXX really one of the guilty parties?

Is it okay to voice our dislike of Natalya on here? I thought that was a straight blacklisting offence around these parts. It's very rare I come across anyone saying a bad thing about GE on here.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2019 Posts: 8,254
    EDIT: @Getafix -- I can't stand Natalya. Never did. Never will.

My "beef" with Triple X is the wooden execution, and, quite frankly, she showed no skills. They built her up as 007's counter-part, and, although looking good in that dress in the desert, she really was a bore (to me).

This was a classic case in telling, not showing. Compare her to Tracy. or Vesper. Or Camille. Or Pussy...

Or Christmas... (ugh)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Good call I thought Jessica was great in Happy Death Day

Good call I thought Jessica was great in Happy Death Day

Thanks. I think she plays the resourceful type really well and would suit a Bond film. She also has that humorous side.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I need to see the Happy Death Day films. I've seen the Dead Meat: Kill Counts for them, and I liked what I saw.
    I need to see the Happy Death Day films. I've seen the Dead Meat: Kill Counts for them, and I liked what I saw.

Wouldn't seeing the kill count kind of ruin the plot suprises in those films..?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Yes, that's true. But the first one was uploaded back in March 2018, and I don't remember anything other than the it being a horror movie twist on Groundhog Day. The 2nd Kill Count was only uploaded 3 weeks ago. But the chances are that by the time I get around to seeing them, I won't remember much, if anything at all, about the 2nd one either.

Looking at it that way, I should stop watching them. But James is such a big horror fan, and I like his style, I want to show my support with likes and views.

Yes, that's true. But the first one was uploaded back in March 2018, and I don't remember anything other than the it being a horror movie twist on Groundhog Day. The 2nd Kill Count was only uploaded 3 weeks ago. But the chances are that by the time I get around to seeing them, I won't remember much, if anything at all, about the 2nd one either.

Looking at it that way, I should stop watching them. But James is such a big horror fan, and I like his style, I want to show my support with likes and views.

I love his youtube channel. But i usually watch the ones of films i've already seen.

I did watch his killcount for 'Leatherface' the other day but it's not a film i was going to watch in its entirety.

I love his youtube channel. But i usually watch the ones of films i've already seen.

I did watch his killcount for 'Leatherface' the other day but it's not a film i was going to watch in its entirety.

I've only seen that once once on DVD. The TCM series is such a mess. If i'm going to have a TCM marathon, then i'd rather just stick with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) & Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III.
    Is this thread slowly being turned into 'Horror Thread III' ?
    Getafix wrote: »
    I basically agree. Although is XXX really one of the guilty parties?

Is it okay to voice our dislike of Natalya on here? I thought that was a straight blacklisting offence around these parts. It's very rare I come across anyone saying a bad thing about GE on here.

I like Natalya,but yeah shes does scream and shout a lot.Shes the best looking Bond GIRL of the Brosnan era in my opinion though which makes up for the noise.

EDIT: @Getafix -- I can't stand Natalya. Never did. Never will.

My "beef" with Triple X is the wooden execution, and, quite frankly, she showed no skills. They built her up as 007's counter-part, and, although looking good in that dress in the desert, she really was a bore (to me).

This was a classic case in telling, not showing. Compare her to Tracy. or Vesper. Or Camille. Or Pussy...

Or Christmas... (ugh)

Always loved Mrs Ringo Starr in TSWLM. The woodeness is part of the charm IMO. Of course she's highly implausible but then so is Sir Rog's Bond. They make a perfect pairing as far as I'm concerned.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,665
    12714270-6958775-image-a-144_1556208885901.jpg

giphy.gif

Univex wrote: »
    giphy.gif

PoliteEnormousDodobird-size_restricted.gif
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Considering the audience here at MI6 and our enlightened approach to Bond films and with the new film upon us can I make a suggestion regarding the title for this discussion.

autumn-leaves-falling-2.png

Bond Girl should be title case. Capital "G". If that makes sense.

Univex wrote: »
    12714270-6958775-image-a-144_1556208885901.jpg

tenor.gif

(And I apologise to Jimmy for removing him, but he was in the way. Sorry Jimmy).
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Considering the audience here at MI6 and our enlightened approach to Bond films and with the new film upon us can I make a suggestion regarding the title for this discussion.

autumn-leaves-falling-2.png

Bond Girl should be title case. Capital "G". If that makes sense.

Oh I don't really care, D, DD, B, C, it's all good to me. G is maybe a bit big though. Or am I misreading the question?

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I was making light in a different vein, @CommanderRoss.

But you go, Commander.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I was making light in a different vein, @CommanderRoss.

But you go, Commander.
    Sorry, sometimes I'm just taking off at a different curve.

Please cast Eiza Gonzalez! She would be a fantastic Fiona Volpe character. She's been in Baby Driver, Welcome to Marwen, Hobbs and Shaw and the upcoming Godzilla v Kong.

EA1EKnaWwAAzNjG?format=jpg&name=large

EAlbs4YXYAEJbxL?format=jpg&name=medium

EA0DJlAXoAAc_xL?format=jpg&name=900x900

EBMag4lUcAA6hq0?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 5,185
    tenor.gif

Edit: Holy Christ yes, i need this to happen, and i've never even seen her before (or any of her crap films lol) 100% with you Pierce2Daniel.
    6MC6FC4V_400x400.jpg

740full-eiza-gonzalez.jpg

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f68587353794645746a49646e76773d3d2d3335333633303131342e313439356433303563346363653733373632393633373538333035302e676966

eiza-gonzalez-y-josh-duhamel-ponen-fin-a-su-relacion.jpg

That's one crazy evil sexy mama right there.
    Sorry, can't reply, am on fire right now

giphy.gif
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Margot?

landscape-1492974545-hbz-margot-robbie.jpg?resize=980:*

I could....

c8c4b926db4722a8bb70fbca04fbca01.jpg

Live with the....er

margot-robbie-in-a-bikini-in-focus-2015-45013881.png

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    How about the stunning Roselyn Sánchez in Bond 26? Fresh interview with Jimmy Kimmel