Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don't think it was "lifted directly" @TopGearJB007
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 624
    @Denbigh Obviously I'm exaggerating a tad bit, but there are clear similarities between SP's Blofeld and Goldmember's Dr. Evil.

I swear to god if Blofeld calls himself Dougie in Bond 25, I'm done. :))
    barryt007 wrote: »
    aaaf57fb75446f20ff5aab3505d54010.jpg

Now forget everything you know.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    You know I'm all in for these Nomi being 007 for just this movie... but I have to say her outfit as a double 0 is pretty embarrassing here. In Jamaica she looks perfect, on the other hand.

007-e1561527875189.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I've never noticed how they've kind of put the 'you know the number' on the wrong side of that poster! :)
    matt_u wrote: »
    You know I'm all in for these Nomi being 007 for just this movie... but I have to say her outfit as a double 0 is pretty embarrassing here. In Jamaica she looks perfect, on the other hand.

007-e1561527875189.jpg

It's an obvious wink to this fella....
    DAhC34xWsAEMBHL.jpg
    Which in hindsight makes perfect sense, as they are both 007
    This has kind of gotten out of control because you've got all these dumb click bait articles making it sound like she's the new lead character. Hopefully when the real trailer comes out it is Bond centric to cool off a lot of this talk.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,834
    I just watched a livestream by Collider and they're happy with this news and find it interesting, and Collider loves to bash films when they feel like they can.
    CountJohn wrote: »
    This has kind of gotten out of control because you've got all these dumb click bait articles making it sound like she's the new lead character. Hopefully when the real trailer comes out it is Bond centric to cool off a lot of this talk.
    It's just a rumor with no basis or evidence backing it up. It's probably not even true.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2019 Posts: 14,861

Which would entirely have been part of Eon's thinking: I mean, if I had a news channel I'd say 'The New 007 Is A Woman!' too, because it's a great headline. It's irresistible.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I just watched a livestream by Collider and they're happy with this news and find it interesting, and Collider loves to bash films when they feel like they can.

I quite enjoy those Collider rants, even though their critical opinion is of little worth to me. Kind of like when Kermode reviews a Michael Bay film.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 624
    "I hear the new 007 is a lady."
    -Valentin Zukovsky, probably.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Can we get some Nomi fan art?

We'll surely see plenty of fan art eventually – either after the release of the trailer (if she features, which I guess she will), or when we see more on set photos of her.

Interestingly, we haven't seen much of her yet. It's mostly been Bond, M and Moneypenny.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    But again, they are NOT doing it for good reasons like to serve the story or make the film better. It's ONLY to pander to the SJW crowd. If you don't believe that you are in deep denial.

You say “it doesn’t serve the story” or “make the film better” to have a black female character. Well, I strongly disagree. Women of colour are so hugely misrepresented in film that I genuinely believe if there is a character that can be played by a white woman or a black woman, then we should give the role to the black woman. You might argue this is unfair - but it is already unfair, and it is already massively skewed in favour of white actors. Do you really think it doesn’t serve the story to have characters that reflect the world, or do you think films should just have white people in them? In this case, is it really so unrealistic that a black woman might achieve 00 status? Are there black women in England? Staggeringly, there are! So, let’s perhaps have them represented. You might say “I have no issue with black women being represented in film, just not this one”. If you say that, then yes, you have an issue with black women in film. So, yes, having women and black women in films does make them better and it serves the story to represent the world as a place where women and particularly black women exist.
    Is this to please the SJWs? I hope so. Because there’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting equality or representation. And if they are making decisions to please the shifting status quo, then I’m all for it. If to you a SJW is someone who wants to change things for the sake of change, who wants to ruin things by making the world PC, then you’ve completely missed the point of these movements. It doesn’t ruin anything to have the world represented as it is, or as it should be. Giving women and women of colour an equal place in our media - particularly film - isn’t ruining anything but an entrenched sexism and racism. Please, by all means cling to that if you must, but at least own it. Don’t pretend it’s anything other than racism and misogyny hiding behind a translucent argument.

But again, they are NOT doing it for good reasons like to serve the story or make the film better. It's ONLY to pander to the SJW crowd. If you don't believe that you are in deep denial.

You say “it doesn’t serve the story” or “make the film better” to have a black female character. Well, I strongly disagree. Women of colour are so hugely misrepresented in film that I genuinely believe if there is a character that can be played by a white woman or a black woman, then we should give the role to the black woman. You might argue this is unfair - but it is already unfair, and it is already massively skewed in favour of white actors. Do you really think it doesn’t serve the story to have characters that reflect the world, or do you think films should just have white people in them? In this case, is it really so unrealistic that a black woman might achieve 00 status? Are there black women in England? Staggeringly, there are! So, let’s perhaps have them represented. You might say “I have no issue with black women being represented in film, just not this one”. If you say that, then yes, you have an issue with black women in film. So, yes, having women and black women in films does make them better and it serves the story to represent the world as a place where women and particularly black women exist.
    Is this to please the SJWs? I hope so. Because there’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting equality or representation. And if they are making decisions to please the shifting status quo, then I’m all for it. If to you a SJW is someone who wants to change things for the sake of change, who wants to ruin things by making the world PC, then you’ve completely missed the point of these movements. It doesn’t ruin anything to have the world represented as it is, or as it should be. Giving women and women of colour an equal place in our media - particularly film - isn’t ruining anything but an entrenched sexism and racism. Please, by all means cling to that if you must, but at least own it. Don’t pretend it’s anything other than racism and misogyny hiding behind a translucent argument.

The cries of racism and misogyny are tired. Wanting equality applies both ways; as in wanting black representation to be EARNED, instead of piggybacking on already established white characters. Theft is theft, regardless of the trumped up reasons for it.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,400
    This guy describes the situation perfectly....it's much ado about nothing

This video is also fun - it once again pretty much summaries that this story is not the end of the word:

It's nice to see people having a fun, relaxed conversation about this story.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

The cries of racism and misogyny are tired. Wanting equality applies both ways; as in wanting black representation to be EARNED, instead of piggybacking on already established white characters. Theft is theft, regardless of the trumped up reasons for it.
    THEFT?! Hahaha that’s ridiculous
    edited July 2019 Posts: 864

The cries are not tired and they will not be tired until racists and misogynists stop being the assholes and pretending their arguments are anything other than what they are. Black representation needs to be earned? You really wrote that? You’d say that to a black man or woman’s face?
    How are they piggybacking off established white characters when their race is entirely incidental to their character? That makes no sense. How has an entirely new black female character not earned representation? Having Felix or Moneypenny played by black actors is theft to you? Do you hear yourself? Stamping your feet and insisting that you don’t want black actors playing roles because they’re traditionally played by white actors? And you say the cries of racism are tired.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

This is disturbing stuff.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Apparently people are petitioning don't know what that would do though.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2019 Posts: 10,512

Yeah, it’s fascinating how people still can’t grasp the concept she isn’t the ‘New Bond’.

I do think it’s probably true, it just feels instinctively where they’d take it, but there’s also a part of me that wonders whether someone at the Mail has spun the whole thing off the back of fan speculation.
    RC7 wrote: »

Yeah, it’s fascinating how people still can’t grasp the concept she isn’t the ‘New Bond’.

I do think it’s probably true, it just feels instinctively where they’d take it, but there’s also a part of me that wonders whether someone at the Mail has spun the whole thing off the back of fan speculation.

Probably but no one cares pretty much

Isn't this what people want who cares about Bond. Just having fun ;)
    edited July 2019 Posts: 864
    mtm wrote: »

This is disturbing stuff.

It’s deeply disturbing. Black representation needs to be earned? Giving black actors roles previously given to white actors is theft? This is racism pure and simple and there’s no place for it here. Freedom of speech goes without saying, but you don’t get to put a voice to bigotry without repercussion or consequence. This discussion board is not a democracy - it has never claimed to be one - and racism, sexism, misogyny, homophobia, and hate speech of any kind will not be tolerated. There’s a big ol’ “ban” button for those that want to spout this kind of rhetoric and believe me we will not miss your sorry asses as we throw you out the door.

The cries are not tired and they will not be tired until racist and misogynists stop being the assholes they are and pretending their arguments are anything other than what they are. Black representation needs to be earned? You really wrote that? You’d say that to a black man or woman’s face?
    How are they piggybacking off established white characters when their race is entirely incidental to their character? That makes no sense. How has an entirely new black female character not earned representation? Having Felix or Moneypenny played by black actors is theft to you? Do you hear yourself? Stamping your feet and insisting that you don’t want black actors playing roles because they’re traditionally played by white actors? And you say the cries of racism are tired.

So if Superman had been a black female for the past 80 years the character would be as successful and globally recognized as it is today? Really? Again, why change the race/gender at all if it doesn't matter?
    I really wish it didn’t have to come to this. I hate to see our fanbase so bitterly divided and the hatred coming from all sorts of areas about the whole situation. It’s gotten way too out of hand. Very disheartened by much of what I’ve read. I also feel bad for Lashana Lynch who is receiving some truly hateful, ugly comments.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I really wish it didn’t have to come to this. I hate to see our fanbase so bitterly divided and the hatred coming from all sorts of areas about the whole situation. It’s gotten way too out of hand. Very disheartened by much of what I’ve read. I also feel bad for Lashana Lynch who is receiving some truly hateful, ugly comments.

If that is true, then it will reflect badly on us all.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,241

I wrote this earlier, but I'm happy to write it again; I can't wait to see her on screen.

Hopefully we'll get some great banter between Nomi and Bond.

Same this is just sad
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2019 Posts: 45,489
    Mod Edit: A bit much.