No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

JamesCraig wrote: »
    One more time: Bond is retired, he's kicking it in South America. So if she'll play 007, it'll be temporary and only in the beginning of the film.

If, and if, and maybe, and it could be.

:-??

And if she keeps it, the 007 code number would be... the property of a lady.

Ooooh, that would sure give quite a meaning for that title!
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 1,119
    Someone takes over as 007 while he is gone okay. But we can just assume that is happening, we don't need to be told and have them as a character in the movie. What was the name of the agent that replaced 006 after he supposedly died at the beginning of Goldeneye? We don't know, because it doesn't matter. Who took over from Silva after M gave him up? Again, no idea. But does it harm the story to not know these details? Is it considered a plothole? No, so why would the fact that Bond has retired suddenly necessitate that we learn the identity of his replacement?

Because the idea of Bond confronting his younger, fresher, female replacement face to face after being retired for a few years opens the door to a lot of interesting character interactions and interesting dialogue. It also fits the the thematic elements of Skyfall and Spectre as to how Bond responds to a changing world and whether or not he’s still relevant. That’s why I find it funny that people are so quick to slam this as some PC stunt. It just makes a lot of sense that this is where they’d go narratively after the events of the past two films.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,684
    Someone takes over as 007 while he is gone okay. But we can just assume that is happening, we don't need to be told and have them as a character in the movie. What was the name of the agent that replaced 006 after he supposedly died at the beginning of Goldeneye? We don't know, because it doesn't matter. Who took over from Silva after M gave him up? Again, no idea. But does it harm the story to not know these details? Is it considered a plothole? No, so why would the fact that Bond has retired suddenly necessitate that we learn the identity of his replacement?

Because the idea of Bond confronting his younger, fresher, female replacement face to face after being retired for a few years opens the door to a lot of interesting character interactions and interesting dialogue. It also fits the the thematic elements of Skyfall and Spectre as to how Bond responds to a changing world and whether or not he’s still relevant. That’s why I find it funny that people are so quick to slam this as some PC stunt. It just makes a lot of sense that this is where they’d go narratively free the events of the past two films.
    +1
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    manover wrote: »
    Calm down everyone...we need to see the finished product before judging.

At least someone here is smart.
    What message? That Facebook posts are the bottom-most, dirtiest, brain breaking filth around?

This forum exists so we wouldn't have to regurgitate facebook drivel. I generally have a very low opinion of the credibility of anything that gets posted on facebook. So I'm with you, @Benjamin_Weekly69: please, keep the utter garbage known as facebook as far away from this forum as possible.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    One more time: Bond is retired, he's kicking it in South America. So if she'll play 007, it'll be temporary and only in the beginning of the film.

And if she keeps it, the 007 code number would be... the property of a lady.

Wonderful. :-O
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    edited July 2019 Posts: 1,828
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    This story is all over the place: https://www.allure.com/story/lashana-lynch-new-007-james-bond-25-details

Bond is being replaced (temporarily perhaps) by a black woman. Our franchise is getting woke, ya'll! I said it before and now it's happening.

It isn't your franchise. Nor is it mine.

You pay to watch these film and don't get paid as a result of them.

The people who love the idea of Lashana as 007 have money and there money is as good as yours.

If this move entices new fans and keeps the series going for another 50 years whilst encouraging new people to watch the older films, then I'm down.

This is precisely what momentarily casting her as 007 won't achieve.

How do you know this?

I've been scanning the trending #JamesBond hashtag (mind you, it's exceptionally rare for Bond to trend on Twitter) and there were many people who said that they had never in their entire lives cared about the character and/or watched the films and that Lynch's casting as 007 was the only reason they're now planning to see B25.

Bond 25 will still feature all the traditional beats and formula like every other JB film has. It goes without saying, naturally. These new 'fans' will come to watch B25 solely for Lynch's arc and when the film is over they'll probably never think about it ever again, assuming she isn't teased for another EON project. (I think we all agree that this is a one film kind of thing because Craig will likely end his tenure, thus being the end of his 'universe' by the time B26 arrives.) Anyways back to my point: this new audience will forget about the film because of the formula. If they never liked Bond films before, and B26 is going to return to the status quo, then why would they suddenly think the opposite?

And let's be honest here: the last thing that this new audience is going to do is seek out the older films. As I've said before, they never cared for the legacy.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    This story is all over the place: https://www.allure.com/story/lashana-lynch-new-007-james-bond-25-details

Bond is being replaced (temporarily perhaps) by a black woman. Our franchise is getting woke, ya'll! I said it before and now it's happening.

The people who love the idea of Lashana as 007 have money and there money is as good as yours.

If this move entices new fans and keeps the series going for another 50 years whilst encouraging new people to watch the older films, then I'm down.

How do you know this?

I've been scanning the trending #JamesBond hashtag (mind you, it's exceptionally rare for Bond to trend on Twitter) and there were many people who said that they had never in their entire lives watched, or cared for, the Bond character and/or films and that Lynch's casting as 007 was the only reason they're now planning to see B25.

Bond 25 will still feature all the traditional beats and formula like every other JB film has. It goes without saying, naturally. These new 'fans' will come to watch B25 solely for Lynch's arc and when the film is over they'll probably never think about it ever again, assuming she isn't teased for another EON project. (I think we all agree that this is a one film kind of thing because Craig will likely end his tenure, thus being the end of his 'universe' by the time B26 arrives.) Anyways back to my point: this new audience will forget about the film because of the formula. If they never liked Bond films before, and B26 is going to return to the status quo, then why would they suddenly think the opposite?

And let's be honest here: the last thing that this new audience is going to do is seek out the older films. As I've said before, they never cared for the legacy.

I personally do care, very much.

But I can take some changes (even the gb in front of the credits haha)... Some of the fans cannot... And it's not that all the previous Bondmovies were "true to the source material", had no controversial moments, etc...

A franchise does not survive so long without. And then, Disney buys it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe JenaMaloneforBond.comModerator

How do you know this?

I've been scanning the trending #JamesBond hashtag (mind you, it's exceptionally rare for Bond to trend on Twitter) and there were many people who said that they had never in their entire lives cared about the character and/or watched the films and that Lynch's casting as 007 was the only reason they're now planning to see B25.

I have actually seen people on other sites, not Bond centric, refer to Bond as 'rapey' among other things. The kind of people who, to use an old term, wouldn't touch Bond with a barge pole. And now those people are... what.... going to become fans just because Lynch is 007 for one film?

How do you know this?

I have actually seen people on other sites, not Bond centric, refer to Bond as 'rapey' among other things. The kind of people who, to use an old term, wouldn't touch Bond with a barge pole. And now those people are... what.... going to become fans just because Lynch is 007 for one film?

Yes. And what's wrong with that?
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    antovolk wrote: »

How do you know this?

Yes. And what's wrong with that?

That wasn't the point. It's just that @Pierce2Daniel thought that this bold move was going to be bringing in new fans.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

How do you know this?

I know how you feel
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited July 2019 Posts: 6,661

How do you know this?

I think this is just another example of a repeated cycle. I know plenty of people who saw Skyfall just because Adele sang the title song, but didn't bother with Spectre. Granted, comparing someone who sees a film for a singer isn't comparable with a minority taking on a leading role, but the "bringing in new fans" thought train is similar.

Craig in his Speedos in CR was oft-referred to as a changeable moment for the series. The first time Bond himself had been sexualised and not just the Bond women, showing how the series was growing or at least was publically self-aware of its "sexual politics". But alas, the old criticisms of misogyny still remained and are still there to this day.

There is no winning with this kind of stuff. Nomi's place in the film will undoubtedly add something to this entry, but once the film is over and we potentially go back to the previous status-quo, those people are unlikely to stick around.

Because most casual Bond fans are exactly that, casual.

But, as has been pointed out, Lynch could simply have been cast because she was the best person for the job. And that's it. ;)
    And that has been my point from the beginning: I'm not all in on this idea yet because I'm doubtful it will have the effect it is intended to have. So Bond will prove he is superior to Nomi and get his number back for instance? Or she messes up like Moneypenny in SF and is demoted? How is that a great look for Nomi? I think those skeptics might see this as a way for EON to work around the fact that they won't cast a POC or female actor for James Bond.

It's a very fine line they'll be treading and I wish them the best.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Snake on a plane of being
    Isn t the term "casual fan" a self contradiction?
    And that has been my point from the beginning: I'm not all in on this idea yet because I'm doubtful it will have the effect it is intended to have. So Bond will prove he is superior to Nomi and get his number back for instance? Or she messes up like Moneypenny in SF and is demoted? How is that a great look for Nomi? I think those skeptics might see this as a way for EON to work around the fact that they won't cast a POC or female actor for James Bond.

It's a very fine line they'll be treading and I wish them the best.

Absolutely. I personally think it's going to be great and will give the film something extra memorable, but it absolutely does have potential to backfire if she ends up being killed or ultimately needs saving from James Bond, Double Oh Nothing.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 6,661
    Isn t the term "casual fan" a self contradiction?

Maybe in a specific instance, but not when you're talking about a long-running franchise, no.

Sorry for the double post.
    Good god I'm sick of hearing about this whole thing. Just who is this insider who started this whole female 007 thing? We don't even have a name. It's an unconfirmed rumor by some nobody that is probably not even true. The clickbait article titles that the media is coming out with are not helping either.

Everyone chill the f**k out and watch the damn movie.
    Good god I'm sick of hearing about this whole thing. Just who is this insider who started this whole female 007 thing? We don't even have a name. It's an unconfirmed rumor by some nobody that is probably not even true. The clickbait article titles that the media is coming out with are not helping either.

Have you got a link for it?

Technically it was sassilive who started this thing saying Bond would meet a "replacement" in a church in Matera.

Who do you think leaked this news? ;)

Who do you think leaked this news? ;)

Hehe, touché.

It would be rather amusing if it turned out to be completely incorrect though, wouldn't it?

Nomi is actually Moneypenny's secretary, and becomes Bond's stalker after glimpsing at his file.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS Remember when it was "confirmed" that the Rapide E was Bond's new car? Where is it on set? Huh? Where? That's what I thought.

Unless I hear it from Babs, Mickey, Danny or Cary it ain't true.
    Well, let's face it, this news is what has gotten more people to talk about this movie, for better or worse.
    A good point @TopGearJB007, though that makes me wish it had been. Electric or not, it's a better looking car than the Valhalla.
  • robcoperobcope St. Petersburg, FL
    I would imagine this is a way for Broccoli, Wilson, and co. to throw a bone to those wanting to see a female or black James Bond by simply adding a plotline in that direction. How long was Bond gone after being presumed dead in Skyfall? Was 007 reassigned? To whom? Well, culturally, there wasn't a need to be more "inclusive" then, and now there is, so now there's just an opportunity to, frankly, placate and get them off the hook. Pretty smart move, IMO.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Joanna Lumley: 'What I'm doing is all I dreamed of, why would I give it up?'
    https://smh.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/joanna-lumley-what-i-m-doing-is-all-i-dreamed-of-why-would-i-give-it-up-20190710-p525r5.html

You were actually the first female Doctor Who before Jodie Whittaker, when you played the role in a Comic Relief skit. There is talk now as to whether we should have a female Bond. As a former Bond girl, what are your thoughts on that?

The difficulty about the James Bond thing for me is that I did a documentary about Ian Fleming and his writing of James Bond. I went out to where he wrote most of the principal characters, out in Jamaica. I followed his family, his life and went down to his school and to Bletchley Park, where he worked during the war, and read a lot of what he wrote.

He actually describes James Bond and I think that one's got to pay some respect to a character. He took great trouble to say what James Bond looked like, which was good-looking-ish but not dazzling. And he had cold eyes and quite a hard face. He was a thin, cold man with a hard face. And you go, "Oh, that's interesting. Why have we lost sight of that, trying to make him into some luscious hero?" So I think we should keep looking for that.

Anyway, it's not up to me. It's up to Barbara Broccoli, who I can remember as a little girl coming on to the set of On Her Majesty's Secret Service. We had to do one of the takes again because "the brat" had made a noise!
    Hi, how do I put something in spoilers? I don't post here much, and I don't want to post something that might upset someone.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited July 2019 Posts: 2,594
    robcope wrote: »
    Hi, how do I put something in spoilers? I don't post here much, and I don't want to post something that might upset someone.

Press the ¶ button above where you would make a comment and spoilers is one of the options. Otherwise stick your spoiler into [s poiler] [/s poiler] (Remove the space after the 's' first).
    Thanks!
    So, is the gun barrel going to start, the blood comes down, the screen opens, and Bond and Swann are just... what, sipping coffee? This will be the first movie that opens where Bond <i>can't</i> be able to be a part of a pre-title sequence without something happening first, right? Or could it be like Live and Let Die where there's a scene that doesn't involve Bond but opens the plot? Then Felix shows up?
    Ok. I'll humor this rumor.

1.) The movie opens up with Nomi as 007 because Bond retired and they filled his position. Nomi 007 dies at the end of the PTS trying to fight Evil Freddie Mercury and that's why Bond comes back, gets back the title of 007 and defeats Malek. He then re-retires or just keeps going on with the job. Bond 26 is a soft reboot.

2.) The same as above but at the end Nomi becomes 007, and thus creates a Dark Knight style Bond pentalogy and Bond 26 is a soft reboot.

3.) Bond dies at the end either ambiguously or explicitly and then Nomi becomes 007. A hard reboot will occur and Lashana Lynch stars as Nomi Bond 007 in Bond 26.