Do you have any concerns or niggles about NTTD ,or are you full of confidence ?

edited September 2019 in No Time To Die Posts: 19,339
I thought this might be a good idea for a thread to voice any concerns over this so called 'troubled production'.

A place where opinions can be discussed and maybe soothed by another member (no chance of that haha).

So........what's bothering you about NTTD ? anything ? or are you full of confidence about it.

Comments

I am 100% filled with confidence. I couldn’t care less about any production issues as I have full faith in Barbara, Michael, Daniel and Cary. The behind the scenes video looked so fresh and exciting, plus that promo image of Craig strutting through London cements the fact that Bond is back!

Exciting times ahead.
    Although there are a lot of positives re. Bond 25, like locations, cast (Jeffrey Wright, David Dencik – who's a fantastic actor), there's still one thing that bothers me about the film - a thing that will keep me from enjoying it as much as I should:

That is the fact that they have to address SP, since Madeleine returns. I hate that they're making a continuation of the events of that film in any form – but that's the Craig era for you.

(This is nothing against Léa Seydoux, by the way. She's a good actress, but I find Madeleine a bad character, and I never bought the romance between her and Bond.)
    Although there are a lot of positives re. Bond 25, like locations, cast (Jeffrey Wright, David Dencik – who's a fantastic actor), there's still one thing that bothers me about the film - a thing that will keep me from enjoying it as much as I should:

That is the fact that they have to address SP, since Madeleine returns. I hate that they're making a continuation of the events of that film in any form – but that's the Craig era for you.

(This is nothing against Léa Seydoux, by the way. She's a good actress, but I find Madeleine a bad character, and I never bought the romance between her and Bond.)

Exactly my thinking,Torg...he should have just got a really big blockbuster stand-alone film to see him off,not more emotional baggage.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Exactly my thinking,Torg...he should have just got a really big blockbuster stand-alone film to see him off,not more emotional baggage.

Definitely agree. I wonder if the Danny Boyle film would have picked up where SP left in one way or the other – or at least referred to the events of the previous film?

If I get around to writing my own review after I've watched Bond 25, I might end up giving two different ratings; one for the film as a continuation of SP, and one for the film as it stands on its own.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    To be honest, it would have been odd to leave the Madeleine thread dangling behind if they just ignored it, given that SP had Bond quitting the service to be with her. At the very least, I hope the filmmakers improve the character in the writing. It’s not impossible.

My only concern is if they end up killing her. I have issues with that. I don’t want another Tracy getting killed scenario, but fear they might go that route. If they do, they better get it right for me to roll with that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I just re-watched Beasts of No Nation, and, as I told @talos7, the filmmaking is so uncompromising-- a trait found in all of Fukanaga's work to date-- that if he brought just half of that to B25 we're in for one twisted ride.

I have no reservations. With the quality of writing that has joined since P&W worked on it, I doubt the original writers will recognize 90% of what will be on screen. And then there's Cary and his team, and the actors in front of the cameras.

I am sincerely and without reservation, looking forward to this entry.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The only small concern I have is related to all this rumors about cameos. I don’t like that. Especially the idea of having Green back in some form. She shouldn’t be a question of concern for James after QoS and SP. We’ll see.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I am locked, cocked and ready to rock. Bring on Bond 25!
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I don't like how they're not starting from a clean slate, too many references to previous films
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 1,661
    w2bond wrote: »
    I don't like how they're not starting from a clean slate, too many references to previous films

You'll need a new Bond actor for a clean slate. Bond 26 is most likely to be a soft reboot.

I'll have to see a teaser trailer (with title!) before I make any judgement on the film. If this is Daniel Craig's final Bond film - I'm guessing it is - he'll want to leave on a high note. I'm sure a bit of ego will play a part and he'll want everyone involved on Bond 25 to deliver their best work so I'm feeling reasonably confident. I don't think Craig's final Bond film will be like Brosnan's final film. I'm sure Bond 25 will get greater praise than DAD.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    My only concern (especially after seeing the V8 Aston in the London shots) is that there will be too many references to previous films.

Also from a plot perspective this looks like it could be heading down the OHMSS re-imagining route. I hope i'm wrong.

I would have preferred a stand alone film as this 'continuation' stuff doesn't suit Bond IMO.
    Continuation would work if there was a much shorter time between films.
    Expecting people to remember everything from 5 years ago is a bit arrogant and complacent to me.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Expecting people to remember everything from 5 years ago is a bit arrogant and complacent to me.

Exactly. If they were shot back to back all well and good but 5 years is pushing it!!!
    My biggest concern is that Bond will get "woke" and go down the same road as Dr. Who, Star Wars, Star Trek, and other franchise that have become feminist/SJW propaganda machines. Looking at the cast it is starting to feel that way. Maybe it's just the director's thing to hire black actors but the diversity level of this film just feels like tokenism, something Bond has now suffered from for decades.

We had to have a female M in the 90s, had to make MP black, Felix Leiter black, now we may have a black female MI6 agent (or main Bond girl depending on how things shake out), and other cast members who fill some quota. Sure, the location in Jamaica means there will be a higher percentage of black people but is this a decision to improve the story or keep make the PC Nazis happy? I dunno. I will hope for the best but if Bond goes down this road I'm done with the series.

I remember having to explain the video tape from SP to my friends after seeing the film at the theatre. Explaining all re. Vesper, their response was: "Who's Vesper?".
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 19,339

I remember having to explain the video tape from SP to my friends after seeing the film at the theatre. Explaining all re. Vesper, their response was: "Who's Vesper?".

Exactly.
    There are a lot of members appearing in this thread who are treating this as a last resort for Bond or considering boycotting the film,for many reasons,from a female 007 to becoming too PC,and I agree with all of them.

They basically should have left Craig go at the end of SP and rebooted Bond from this film,his character had closure at the end of that film,and they have had 5 YEARS to get a new Bond actor up and running.

But they all seem to have a real hard-on for Craig,its almost embarrassing.

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

Exactly.
    There are a lot of members appearing in this thread who are treating this as a last resort for Bond or considering boycotting the film,for many reasons,from a female 007 to becoming too PC,and I agree with all of them.

They basically should have left Craig go at the end of SP and rebooted Bond from this film,his character had closure at the end of that film,and they have had 5 YEARS to get a new Bond actor up and running.

No actor is bigger than the role of James Bond
    - Cubby Broccolli

Exactly.

As much as I love Craig and am excited that he will get at least 5 films as Bond, I'm starting to think this way as well. Not only would we have gotten Bond 25 in 2019 most likely, they would have fast-tracked the next one to give the new actor another movie soon after. At the very least we would have gotten Bond 26 for the 60th anniversary in the year 2022. That won't happen now because they waited 5 years from Craig to get his act together. It's annoying.
    My biggest concern about this movie isn't necessarily about the movie itself, but that it's going to rightly or wrongly be compared to Mission: Impossible Fallout. A lot of general audiences may go in expecting another MI film rather than a Bond film, which may lead to B25 being dismissed in a similar way LTK was.

Previously on 007.........
    vzok wrote: »

Hahaha wouldn't surprise me if we got that,just after the gunbarrel !!
    vzok wrote: »

Hahaha wouldn't surprise me if we got that,just after the gunbarrel !!

Instead of the gunbarrel surely.
  • RC7RC7

Depends on how effective the storytelling is. The only ‘official’ link thus far is Madeleine, who will almost certainly feature in the PTS. Whether one remembers her or not, with good storytelling it will be largely irrelevant, as it will be kick-starting a new narrative. I really think we know far too little at this juncture to make a call. The proof will be in the pudding ultimately. I find it fruitless surmising what I ‘may’ hate.
  • NeverOnTheFirmsTimeNeverOnTheFirmsTime A plane tree'd square off the Kings Road
    edited July 2019 Posts: 34
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/do-want-bond-25-fail-public-turned-against-daniel-craigs-007/amp/

Anybody seen the above BS article in the online version of The Torygraph? Jeez, some people need to get a grip.... 🙄🙄
    Only read the first portion, mind (as I'm not paying good money to read more of the drivel it's spewing), but I for one am not in the slightest bit concerned at this stage. As someone once memorably said: 'From this angle, things are shaping up nicely' 😉😂
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    They put Mr. White in SP without much of an explanation, and it had been 7 years since QOS. Also, more callbacks to Vesper, 7 years later. In this day and age, they know many of us are keeping track...
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185
    I'm 100% confident. What's the point of worrying? Not interested in any 'production issues' or tabloid drivel. Eon keeps marching on and everything seems to be fine. I want to celebrate the shoot of another Bond film, as it has become such a rare event sadly. I am still planing to go to Matera in August or September, and hopefully see some action there.

Everyone involved seems to be 100% engaged and I believe this will be an amazing finished product.

Of course i thought the same of Spectre and left the cinema scratching my head, so sure there is always the possibility that it will suck but i rather choose to believe it will be a classic. Daniel's whole Reputation as Bond is on the line here and he knows it. If this film sucks, his era will be seen by the public as average. He could have stepped down after Spectre and he came back because he thought it was a film worth doing.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    100% confident this won't be another fiasco like SPECTRE. Cary is not Mendes and is going to deliver and entirely different type of film.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The media and certain fans of the franchise wanted nothing to do with Craig in ‘06. He and EoN heard the noise back then. They kept quiet and only responded with the film they delivered.

He and EoN hear the same noise today.

I have no doubt their true response will be seen in the film we get to see...

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    IMO they have even earned the right to throw in a quick, mocking reference to the Craigisntbonders or to those who cried "James Blonde" or "James Bland" like five-year-olds who aren't getting any candy from mom and dad. Something subtle of course. ;-)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm actually quite confident about this film. My only real concerns (and these are minor) are Dan Romer's score and whether the script and dialogue can be as good as CR or SF.