No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited July 2019 Posts: 17,241
    One has to admit, a clone would be a bit…

mike-myers-austin-powers-the-spy-who-shagged-me-2.jpg

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time they entered Austin Powers territory:

tumblr_nja9o30EAQ1rawb5do1_1280-1024x428.jpg
    giphy.gif
    Don't tell me that Bond will be knighted or something terrible like this at the end?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Bounine wrote: »
    Don't tell me that Bond will be knighted or something terrible like this at the end?

Johnny English did that.

Surely Purvis and Wade wouldnt rip off their own script?
    Mallory wrote: »

Johnny English did that.

Oh, okay. What do you think all this stuff with all the kings horses and all the king's men invloves?

Johnny English did that.

Oh, okay. What do you think all this stuff with all the kings horses and all the king's men invloves?

Probably just an establishing shot or two
    antovolk wrote: »

Johnny English did that.

Perhaps it has something to do with Fukunaga's sensibility as a American abroad. he could be a little more enamoured with the pomp and ceremony of England than previous directors. Though, everything I've seen of his suggests he channels the darker parts of the soul.

Personally, I liked Mendes's take on London. I'm from the city and getting to see the locations in a more honest and authentic way was refreshing. There is only so many twee red buses and phonebooths one can handle.

Personally, the combination of

- Cary Fukunaga
    - Linus Sandgren
    - Dan Romer

has me excited.

This could be the edgiest and most experiential Bond film yet. Mendes did his A+ job adding prestige with SF, but now we need something more iconoclastic and irreverent.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Okay so what evidence do we have that cloning will be in the movie?

And after the codename theory, are we going to have the clone name theory?

There is none per-se,i just mentioned it a few pages back as a suggestion re Bond capturing Blofeld.
    Okay so it's pure fan speculation. Good, good.

My hypothesis regarding the girl, which is highly speculative : she is the young Madeleine, the masked killer is Malek’s character when he was a rookie (the mask will help make more believable the time gap) he failed his murder attempt and years later out of pride he wants to finish the job.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans

There is none per-se,i just mentioned it a few pages back as a suggestion re Bond capturing Blofeld.

My hypothesis regarding the girl, which is highly speculative : she is the young Madeleine, the masked killer is Malek’s character when he was a rookie (the mask will help make more believable the time gap) he failed his murder attempt and years later out of pride he wants to finish the job.

YES ! Exactly what I’ve been saying.... so it must be right ;)

talos7 wrote: »

So you both go with the 'flashback' theory ?

I do think it’s the most likely.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

I'm thinking its the scene that Madeline talks about on the train when she tells Bond that someone came to her house when she was young to kill her father. Now, I understand that Blofeld elaborates on that later on that it was him, but it still can be the whole scene that's unfolded. It didn't say that he came alone. My guess, Malek's villian is Spectre's number 2. Either now or the flashback scene is him in training to prove himself worthy.

Same here. Although I want to qualify this: 1)this is according to the very little info we have so far, 2)it is not contradicted by other info we have (Malek’s and Léa's ages for instance) and 3)I'm not sure I like the idea of such flashback as a lot could go wrong in the execution.

I thought so but then those Range Rovers showed up in the background making it look like a present day shot

Same here. Although I want to qualify this: 1)this is according to the very little info we have so far, 2)it is not contradicted by other info we have (Malek’s and Léa's ages for instance) and 3)I'm not sure I like the idea of such flashback as a lot could go wrong in the execution.

That's what concerns me.
    The CR flashback in the PTS worked because it was a big moment in Bond's history and they didn't elaborate it after that,they just used it to establish him.

This one,if it is to be used,is going to be a big part of the story AND linked to SP as well,so it has to work correctly and not take over the film itself.

edited July 2019 Posts: 7,889
    I can imagine someone involved with the production reading these speculations and either thinking, ‘ hmmm, some of these guys are on the right track ‘, or, they’re laughing hysterically. 😆

That's what concerns me.
    The CR flashback in the PTS worked because it was a big moment in Bond's history and they didn't elaborate it after that,they just used it to establish him.

This one,if it is to be used,is going to be a big part of the story AND linked to SP as well,so it has to work correctly and not take over the film itself.

GE worked too, but even there were things that were a bit far fetched : Bond and Trevelyan not really ageing, for one. Now we'd have about 20 years between then and now. A lot could go wrong.

Then again I'd rather have a sloppy flashback than Blofeld clone running after Madeleine clone and the next Bond actor to be a Bond clone.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,241
    I can imagine someone involved with the production reading these speculations and either thinking, ‘ hmmm, some of these guys are on the right track ‘, or, they’re laughing hysterically. 😆

Or "What have we done! They're already finding weaknesses in the plot without knowing the full story!" :D

Just joking of course, but I hope there's more to the story that our fan fiction predictions/speculations.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,834
    antovolk wrote: »

Johnny English did that.

Perhaps it has something to do with Fukunaga's sensibility as a American abroad. he could be a little more enamoured with the pomp and ceremony of England than previous directors. Though, everything I've seen of his suggests he channels the darker parts of the soul.

Personally, I liked Mendes's take on London. I'm from the city and getting to see the locations in a more honest and authentic way was refreshing. There is only so many twee red buses and phonebooths one can handle.

Personally, the combination of

- Cary Fukunaga
    - Linus Sandgren
    - Dan Romer

has me excited.

This could be the edgiest and most experiential Bond film yet. Mendes did his A+ job adding prestige with SF, but now we need something more iconoclastic and irreverent.
    I completely agree @Pierce2Daniel, while I understand people's hesitations when these things are announced because the person's work might not seem fitting to you or you'd prefer someone else, but with a crew like this it's difficult to guess what we're in for, and each of these guys could deliver the best film, cinematography or score, and if they each do it's gonna be amazing so I'm all in.
    Seen in the other thread (spoiler alert). Lots of Fleming elements there, if true :
    Im not sure I like that.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,834
    Seen in the other thread (spoiler alert). Lots of Fleming elements there, if true :
    Hmm very interesting stuff @Ludovico. I'm not really sure whether to take this with a pinch of salt or not because I don't really understand where this has come from...

Although if I take this as what will happen, there is no-one better to handle it than Phoebe Waller-Bridge. If any of you have seen Fleabag or Killing Eve, especially the first seasons, then you'll know how well Bridge deals with grief and those darker moments. Both series deal with the loss of a friend in their own way, so I'm sure she could handle the death of a loved one just as well. Plus I'm not too against seeing this aspect of 007 dealt with again as it wasn't handled very well in QoS, and I'm sure won't feel reductive with the amount of talent and awareness these creatives have.

From what we've heard so far it feels like OHMSS meets DN or TB, like Skyfall was inspired by TMTGG and YOLT.
    From some other article I read, there will be a fair deal of YOLT in it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    If there is a flashback in Bond 25, of a young Madeleine and the events that she described to Bond on the train in SP, then after five years, we'll have to have a flashback to the story on the train in SP, then a flashback further to when Madeleine was a little girl. You couldn't expect the average moviegoer to recall Madeleines story from SP.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,921
    If we are in a cloning world--very Matt Helm, I'm not in favor--could it be that the clones grow faster than normal humans?
    So Madeleine's daughter (?) could be older than a normal human?

I like the flashback idea much better than cloning.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Benny wrote: »
    If there is a flashback in Bond 25, of a young Madeleine and the events that she described to Bond on the train in SP, then after five years, we'll have to have a flashback to the story on the train in SP, then a flashback further to when Madeleine was a little girl. You couldn't expect the average moviegoer to recall Madeleines story from SP.
    I don't think they'd have to do that @Benny . As long as it's communicated well to us that it is a flashback and that the little girl is Madeleine, the Spectre scene won't really matter, because her story is now important in this context and the train scene is just something extra that fans and certain people will remember.

That's what concerns me.

CR wasn't a flashback. It plays in continuity with the story. We see Bond earn his 00 licence and then go on his first mission,

The first flash of colour being the blood is meant to be a symbolic moment for the character. The black-and-white is not indicative of it being a flashback.

I'm not a fan of the Madeline flashback theory. I think 'flashback' scenes rid actors of great moments to perform. Think of a movie like 'Tinker Tailor Solider Spy' a film laden with flashbacks. However, the most impactful scene is where Smiley recounts an encounter with the villain.

It would have been an easy trick to do a flashback here. But by letting Oldman explainit to the audience, it becomes so much more impactful.

If it's a flashback and it is a young Madeliene, I hope it last a minute and is part of some nightmare she is having.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    I don't think they'd have to do that @Benny . As long as it's communicated well to us that it is a flashback and that the little girl is Madeleine, the Spectre scene won't really matter, because her story is now important in this context and the train scene is just something extra that fans and certain people will remember.

That's what I was about to say.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

That's what concerns me.

PLus, the CR pts isn't much of a flashback: what occurred was maybe just two or three days earlier. Not years.

That's what concerns me.

CR wasn't a flashback. It plays in continuity with the story. We see Bond earn his 00 licence and then go on his first mission,

The first flash of colour being the blood is meant to be a symbolic moment for the character. The black-and-white is not indicative of it being a flashback.

I'm not a fan of the Madeline flashback theory. I think 'flashback' scenes rid actors of great moments to perform. Think of a movie like 'Tinker Tailor Solider Spy' a film laden with flashbacks. However, the most impactful scene is where Smiley recounts an encounter with the villain.

It would have been an easy trick to do a flashback here. But by letting Oldman explainit to the audience, it becomes so much more impactful.

If it's a flashback and it is a young Madeliene, I hope it last a minute and is part of some nightmare she is having.

Of course it’s a flashback in that it’s showing something that had happened prior to the scene in which it’s presented.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    CR is definitely a flashback. It "flashes back" to Bond killing the guy in the bathroom.

OHMSS also had a brief flashback when Tracy is dragged out of the avalanche.

The difference here appears to be that the flashback is primarily about the love interest, not Bond.