No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

matt_u wrote: »
    At least then we would have been waiting five years for something different and exciting.

Everything regarding 25 sounds and looks exactly like something different and super exciting. The movie seems to have an uncanonical structure for a Bond movie and will definitely look more gorgeous than anything Boyle ever directed, thanks to Fukunaga visually driven directing style and Sandgren glorious cinematography.

Plus, since all the Craig movies are now loosely connected, makes perfect sense that this movie will consider the previous ones, since will 99.9% be Craig's last.

Don't forget that the movie is based on a P&W draft but then has been re-written over 6 months by Fukunaga, Burns and the amazingly skilled Waller-Bridge.

They can have the best cinematography in the world and it wouldn't win me over unfortunately. QoS was a gorgeous film to look at, but it's still my least favourite in the series. And personally I think the visually frentic and fast paced style that Boyle has used for some of his films would have been a welcome change after the beautiful but very ponderous, arty look of the Mendes movies (I'm expecting a similar sort of style from Fukunaga based off True Detective, but to be fair haven't seen anything else of his so maybe I'm being unfair).

Didn't know that they were playing with the structure so that gives me a bit more hope, but the basic premise is just doing nothing for me. The love of Bond's life is killed by a new villain entirely unrelated to the guy they tried to convince us was his real arch enemy, setting up a YOLT type story but instead of the weird surreal gothic and introspective vibe of that novel we have Bond in yet another nostalgia baiting classic Aston Martin helping the CIA on a globe trotting mission. It could be that the story from there is actually brilliant, I'm just saying that that set up/premise doesn't fill me with hope. Nice to see Felix back though.

And Waller Bridge came on too late for me to be excited about her involvement. I'm sure she'll add some funny lines and a nice sense of quirkiness to it, but surely the basic story must have been pretty set in stone by then? I'd hope so anyway as they were gearing up to start filming by the time she joined weren't they?

I'm sure once the trailer drops I'll be eating my words and getting as excited as the rest of you. But the rumours and what we know so far aren't really hyping me up.

I get where you're coming from. But let's hope you're wrong.

And I don't see Fukunaga being a similar film maker to Mendes personally. Could never have seen Mendes directing (or writing) True Detective.
    and will definitely look more gorgeous than anything Boyle ever directed, thanks to Fukunaga visually driven directing style and Sandgren glorious cinematography.
    Umm, I love Fukunaga just as anyone here, but the Fukunaga + Sandgren team can NOT beat the Boyle + Anthony Dod Mantle team when it comes to visuals. What could have been: https://youtube.com/watch?v=QW4ztNwesCk
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    and will definitely look more gorgeous than anything Boyle ever directed, thanks to Fukunaga visually driven directing style and Sandgren glorious cinematography.
    Umm, I love Fukunaga just as anyone here, but the Fukunaga + Sandgren team can NOT beat the Boyle + Anthony Dod Mantle team when it comes to visuals. What could have been: https://youtube.com/watch?v=QW4ztNwesCk
    I mean it's impossible to say when you haven't seen what they've come up with :)

I really, really don't like what they've done there. Doesn't resonate with me, not one bit. And I bet you the night club scene alone in Bond25 will blow that out of the water. And you'll be hailing Fukunaga as the great Fukunaga in no time ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I don't know how that clip in any way indicates Boyle's ability to direct a great Bond film. There isn't a single aspect of that scene that's remotely Bondian (aside from Robert Carlyle). That said, a Boyle Bond film would have no doubt been unique, and extremely polarizing.
  • wetnellywetnelly Nearby
    edited June 2019 Posts: 18
    I know I’m a huge Aston fan but can’t help but wonder why the DB5 (DC was described in great detail to HRH) is actually a carbon fibre skin over a BMW. (For anyone wanting to see the real 1964 car from the end of SP, it’s at The Aston Martin Works in Newport Parnell and belongs to Aston and Eon.) That surely has the makings of a prop car ready for destruction, possibly like the end of OHMSS. I wonder if this is the PTS;
    the flashback of the men that came to kill her as told previously in SP; a possible brief wedding montage, the DB5 being put out of commission, and as brief as possible, the end of Madeleine. Then we get ageing returning agents; Bond & Leiter; their own agenda seen to be clashing with MI6/ CIAin an old fashioned way against their present counterparts (hence the use of a returning V8 Aston) and quickly providing the end of the Mendes era story arc with Bond returning to the UK after licking his wound post titles in Jamaica, and then being formally invited back to action.
    Those endless rumours and comments that dominated the press in the last 12 months about a possible black actor or a woman portraying 007 both appear to have been neatly and cleverly handled by the producers and the writers, if the 007 character does indeed have a new identity in Lashana.
    Visually it looks exciting and the rumour of Porten Down weapons research facility being a feature, keeps the realism of a very scary villainous plot grounded in the real world.
    I only hope it doesn’t try and mimic the Russian Salisbury poisoning in any way.
    Really enjoying trying to piece together bits and pieces and it’s still so early in the process.
    Great to see the filming in London today. The official image shown in this thread of DC striding in front of the V8 already looks as cool as anything McQueen and Newman did and could be the defining DC 007 stock image for the future.

Mod edit: Added spoiler tags.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I don't know how that clip in any way indicates Boyle's ability to direct a great Bond film. There isn't a single aspect of that scene that's remotely Bondian (aside from Robert Carlyle). That said, a Boyle Bond film would have no doubt been unique, and extremely polarizing.

Indeed, and I know in which pole I'd be (-). I really, really don't like his style of film making. Unique indeed, but not for Bond, IMO.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Univex wrote: »

I really, really don't like what they've done there. Doesn't resonate with me, not one bit. And I bet you the night club scene alone in Bond25 will blow that out of the water. And you'll be hailing Fukunaga as the great Fukunaga in no time ;)

Exactly. The only thing that I love in that scene is Queen.
    That mirror rumor was always my biggest fear. It's repetitive and unlikely to be very effective because their relationship in SP left me utterly unconvinced.

I think it might be false though because the synopsis says Felix gets Bond out of retirement, not his wife getting killed. I have hope.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 12,435

There's an additional Bond connection however. Jonny Lee Miller is Bernard Lee's grandson.

On a side note, I'd really like to see Jonny Lee Miller in a Bond film. As a future Bill Tanner, for example.

Exactly. The only thing that I love in that scene is Queen.

Definitely! ;)
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine

C'mon, @PanchitoPistoles ) Cary is not only a very talented visually director, he is tremendeous cinematographer (nominee of American Society of Cinematographers) + Linus (Oscar winner, 2-times ASC nominee, famous for his colours, romantic, lyric cinematography). I dont see how Danny and Anthony are better visually than this pair of extremely talented visualists. And Cary is famous for not typical, art, Hollywood visuals, but for his multi-layered shots, raw image and very creative visual decisions.

As an example.
    I think Madeline is presumed dead in the beginning or abducted and comes back in the 3rd act in mAtera
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I think Madeline is presumed dead in the beginning or abducted and comes back in the 3rd act in mAtera

Doesn't Matera open up the film?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

As far as we know, yes.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 4,221

As far as we know, yes.

I'd say:
    Film opens in Matera. Bond's wedding. Chase ensues in the DB5. Madeleine doesn't die, but the couple are faced with the fact they will never be free from danger. They part ways. After the titles, the story is set up with the scenes they have shot in Norway. Meanwhile, Bond is in Jamaica. He's approached by the CIA, by his old pal. At the same time, an Mi6 agent (Lynch) is keeping tabs on him, fearing he'll do something, giving the recent events - Madeleine has a daughter now and they get caught up in the villain's plot. Bond agrees to help Felix and goes to Cuba, where he makes quite a Bang. He then is called to Mi6, as a visitor, to be scalded by M. He agrees to help him unofficially. Bond gets the V8 and some stuff from Q. Goes to Norway. I just hope the girl isn't Bond's daughter.

Something like that. Does it make any sense? :)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

As far as we know, yes.

I'd say:
    Film opens in Matera. Bond's wedding. Chase ensues in the DB5. Madeleine doesn't die, but the couple are faced with the fact they will never be free from danger. They part ways. After the titles, the story is set up with the scenes they have shot in Norway. Meanwhile, Bond is in Jamaica. He's approached by the CIA, by his old pal. At the same time, an Mi6 agent (Lynch) is keeping tabs on him, fearing he'll do something, giving the recent events - Madeleine has a daughter now and they get caught up in the villain's plot. Bond agrees to help Felix and goes to Cuba, where he makes quite a Bang. He then is called to Mi6, as a visitor, to be scalded by M. He agrees to help him unofficially. Bond gets the V8 and some stuff from Q. Goes to Norway. I just hope the girl isn't Bond's daughter.

It does, except,
    The girl in question is 5-12 years older than Madeleine's child would be.

As far as we know, yes.

I'd say:

It does, except,
    The girl in question is 5-12 years older than Madeleine's child would be.

That's true. Can't seem to understand who the girl is. What a mystery this film is.
    I think the film is going to conclude in matera Italy. Nobody has guessed what happens to bond at the end. I’m guessing he rejoins mi6 as an agent for the rest of his days as I doubt he retires again at the films end.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    antovolk wrote: »
    I honestly still find it hard to believe that they'll go through with fridging Madeleine like this, not only of course Craig's Bond has gone through it in CR/QoS, as much as they may take inspiration from OHMSS I think there really must be something more to it or a twist to it. I'm sure Waller Bridge and Fukunaga know how overused and frowned upon this trope would be.

The exploration mental health/struggling with depression thing is something we heard before with Boyle and is definitely very welcome with the Craig version of the character though.

I think they may go with the obvious choice......

I think it will work quite similiarly to the opening of the YOLT novel.

The pre-titles will be Madeline's death. Then we flash forward a number of years and instead of 'seeking revenge', Bond has been holed up in Jamaica. He's solitude, lonely and suffering with depression. Perhaps, he's stopped fighting for a reason to live and now simply is waiting to die......(which works with the slightly morose title rumour).

I fact, we saw a very similar character trait explored in 'The Last Jedi' with Luke Skywalker. That film even ended with the character essentially committing suicide.

Male mental health - especially with supposedly macho figures - is an important topic. Just watch any Tyson Fury interview.
    This would definitely explain why Bond is alone in Jamaica...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 2,576
    @Univex
    The girl won't be James Bond's daughter, for that girl to be the daughter of Bond and Madeleine's, the film would have to be set 12 to 15 years after Spectre, which would be extremely unrealistic with Craig and the recurring characters. Plus, I think Naomie Harris confirmed the film is set five years later, the same period between the films themselves.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    @Univex
    The girl won't be James Bond's daughter, for that girl to be the daughter of Bond and Madeleine's, the film would have to be set 12 to 15 years after Spectre, which would be extremely unrealistic with Craig and the recurring characters. Plus, I think Naomie Harris confirmed the film is set five years later, the same period between the films themselves.

Thanks, @Denbigh. And thank heavens for that ;)

Who do you think she is?
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 12,208
    Nobody has guessed what happens to bond at the end. I’m guessing he rejoins mi6 as an agent for the rest of his days as I doubt he retires again at the films end.

I think this is the most interesting thing to speculate about, and I agree that he can't just go back into retirement. The way I see it, there are two options: either he comes back, resigning himself to life as a spy ala the MR novel, or they kill him off. Don't think he'll retire again.

Personally, my money's on them killing him off, which I think could be a great ending if done right. There have been lots of rumours about this. I've read that Boyle/Hodge wanted to kill him while EON/DC didn't, but I've also read that it was the other way round. Even if this is all bollocks and Boyle's leaving had nothing to do with the idea, I bet it's crossed their minds.

If you read the SP leaks, when they didn't know DC would be back for another, they talk about it being Bond's last mission. They wanted to tie his whole era together and give him a closed off ending (retirement). Now obviously things have changed and they're doing another, but I reckon they might still want that sense of finality to it. They can't achieve this by ending it with him back in action, because they're definitely going to make more Bond films. As long as he's alive and in action at the end, there's no reason to think that the next guy isn't just picking up where they DC off, and I don't think that's what they want out of this era. I think they see it as its own self contained story with a beginning, middle and end. The other thing to think about here is that they've made a point of emphasising Bond's age in the DC movies. Craig looks great but he's in his 50s and he was already an "old dog" in Skyfall, and this film is taking place nearly 8 years after that. Connery, Moore and Brosnan got away with it because Bond was essentially an ageless character then, but DC's Bond isn't, he's more of a real person. So I think him going back to being a full time agent at the end would stretch credibility.

The new female 007 rumours will help us call this too I think. If that's true then I can't see them introducing her just to kill her off (especially if they're killing off Madeline in the same film) nor can I really see them introducing her only to retire or relinquish her number. I also don't think they'd end it with Bond being an agent again and not being 007. So I think if that rumour is true, then that rules out the film ending with Bond being back in action. He'll be passing the torch to her.

But then what? He passes the torch and goes back into retirement? It's pretty much the same ending as SP, potentially minus Madeline. Not very satisfying imo. Him dying is the only other option so I really do think if there's a female 007 then that's what they'll be doing. I think A Reason to Die being considered at the title adds more merit to this as well.
    Oh God... I hope not.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,221
    Oh God... I hope not.

I second that hope.

It would be abysmal.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Oh God... I hope not.

I second that hope.

It would be abysmal.

Thirded.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Consider that forthed.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Well, If it happens, I’ll need a fifth...
    For a potential ending...
    A lot of rumors point to elements from the OHMSS/YOLT novels being used. What if Craig’s Bond ending is similar to the YOLT novel where he gets amnesia after slaying the main villain, then we are left on an ambiguous note like the novel of if he’ll rediscover his identity someday? I think this could prove satisfying among the hardcore fans if executed well.