Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This looks actually pretty fun:

It doesn't look too bad, but I stopped viewing these in the theatre after the second one. It's not really my thing although the effects work looks really good here.
    The latest zombie flick Overlord, set during the D-Day operation of WW2, is getting extremely good buzz/reactions after its premiere at the Fantastic Fest this weekend.

I'm not surprised, because the trailer is quite interesting. I'll be seeing this for sure.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @DarthDimi @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @ClarkDevlin @doubleoego @Creasy47

The latest zombie flick Overlord, set during the D-Day operation of WW2, is getting extremely good buzz/reactions after its premiere at the Fantastic Fest this weekend.

Basically Wolfenstein meets Outlast. I'm in!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I am too. Sounds delicious!
    Don't know if this has been ^posted before, but :

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2018 Posts: 15,690

Very first on-set picture of Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick

top_gun_maverick_tom_cruise_set_photo_1.jpg
    Very first on-set picture of Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick

top_gun_maverick_tom_cruise_set_photo_1.jpg
    The man, the myth, the legend. Looking good, and 2020 can't get here soon enough.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Capture_d_e_cran_2018_09_24_a_16_19_15.png

First reviews are in for The Night Comes For Us, the latest Indonesian action flick starring Iko Uwais.

"All you need is a girl, a gun, and 30 million gallons of blood.

Bullets, knives, and fists come in handy, too, in Timo Tjahjanto's extremely violent action picture The Night Comes For Us. The violence is brutal and explicit: broken bones burst through the skin, sharp-edged weapons slash their way into and out of body parts, and thousands of bullets thump into and fly out of bodies that take more punishment than is humanly possible.

An early sequence, set in and around a butcher shop, establishes the dramatic tone. The action choreography by Iko Uwais is exquisitely elegant and murderously malevolent, colorfully captured by director Tjahjanto and cinematographer Gunnar Nimpuno. The violence -- the snapping of limbs and the chopping of chests and the smashing of heads and the explosion of blood, oh, the blood -- soars so far beyond reality and into the comic book realm that it's impossible to take seriously.

Given those parameters, the film is a spectacular success."

"The action choreography by Iko Uwais and his team is often astonishing, but it all works thanks to the framework designed and masterminded by Tjahjanto. One can only imagine that the cuts and bruises during production were excessive and extremely painful, especially over the course of long shooting days and repeated takes. For the most part, such brief thoughts about reality are swatted away as one wonders at the marvels of The Night Comes For Us."

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Not only is Netflix delivering Orson Welles' last film on November 2nd, but they'll also drop (on the same day) a documentary titled They'll Love Me When I'm Dead, which mainly focuses on the last 15 years of his life and the progress he made on The Other Side of the Wind:

More reviews for The Night Comes For Us:

"When attending a festival, one must be cautious to use qualifiers and tamper excitement as the festival environment can often amplify your experience and make one prone to grand, sweeping claims. This particular issue need not apply to The Night Comes For Us, the latest action opus to hail from Indonesia. This isn’t simply the most violent film at Fantastic Fest (or of 2018)… it’s the most gory action film I’ve ever seen in my entire life as an action cinema aficionado. And it’s not even close. Truly, writer/director Timo Tjahjanto has crafted an action film for the ages, giving the Indonesia-produced Raid franchise a legitimate run for its money."

"And let me tell you, this film is truly awash in viscera. Every act of violence is shown to have a physical consequence. No body part is spared. It honestly borders on body horror and the squeamish will need to turn their heads. But let’s be frank: The squeamish should never come anywhere close to watching this film. It’s a revelation of gore."

"The Raid films have a place in my heart forever, and have become somewhat of a benchmark for what modern action cinema can achieve. Those films also essentially birthed an industry in Indonesia and put a host of Indonesian talent out there onto the international market for all of us to experience. The Night Comes For Us is the remarkable next level for that group of talent. We’ve already known that several breakout careers were born out of The Raid. But this film reshuffles the deck, doubles down on its inherent Indonesian-ness, and inherits the title as the latest international contender to show the world what action cinema can be. It’s hard to say where this film will rank among the action pantheon, but it’s certainly a new benchmark in rip-roaring, crowd-pleasing, on screen violence."
    Nice moves in that Clip, but the viscerality Drops massively with this one-on-one bs. If it´s not a game, then why don´t the attackers go for the one guy several at once? The first The Raid had that, so it must be possible to film it. The second one had it in the first half hour, after that it was all Video game.

edited September 2018 Posts: 40,459
    https://www.slashfilm.com/the-raid-3-not-happening/#more-510246

What a shame, but as the years have gone by I've set myself up to expect this being the inevitable outcome.
    Horrible that a Remake is planned. And of Course Mel Gibson could prove to be the redemption if he directs. He would be About the only one justifying a Remake somewhat.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    https://www.slashfilm.com/the-raid-3-not-happening/#more-510246

What a shame, but as the years have gone by I've set myself up to expect this being the inevitable outcome.
    Good for Evans. Apostle appears to give him ample opportunity to open up his spectrum of possibilities. As much as I´m probably not going to watch Apostle because it´s too much Horror for me, I feel happy for Evans to be, as it seems, so successful at this differing Approach.
    And, from a rather selfish Point of view: If Evans shouldn´t succeed with different Projects over the next few years, he still has a full Concept for The Raid 3 in the drawer ;-).

Confirmed by Sylvester Stallone himself: Rambo 5 will begin filming this Friday.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I wish he'd focus on fast tracking his sequel to POTC.
    Confirmed by Sylvester Stallone himself: Rambo 5 will begin filming this Friday.
    I just watched the last one for the first time a couple of months ago and was really impressed with it. Much better than I anticipated. So I'm looking forward to what he comes up with for this one, which is sure to be his last.
    The Girl In The Spider's Web: A New Dragon Tattoo is the new title because who knows why:

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-girl-in-the-spiders-web-title/

• As much as I thought part 4 had a perfect ending, I’m still excited for part 5!
    The Girl In The Spider's Web: A New Dragon Tattoo is the new title because who knows why:

Sony are such a bunch of jokers. I can't tell you how happy I am that they don't have the Bond franchise anymore.
    bondjames wrote: »

Sony are such a bunch of jokers. I can't tell you how happy I am that they don't have the Bond franchise anymore.

They manage to botch just about any property they have their hands on. It's impressive in the worst ways.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

That is hilarious in the worst possible way. I'm on the fence about the film as is, because the book upon which it is based is rubbish, but it does look stylish. They've made an arse of yet another decent property in terms of just telling a good story though.
    New trailer for Creed 2 arriving tomorrow.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    New trailer for Creed 2 arriving tomorrow.

This and Fantastic Beasts 2 are my most anticipated films for the rest of the year.
    Dn8zPxpV4AAdFiz.jpg
    Happy Death Day 2U, the sequel to the 2017 film Happy Death Day, gets an official release date: February 14, 2019.

Here is the trailer for the previous film:

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Happy Death Day 2U, the sequel to the 2017 film Happy Death Day, gets an official release date: February 14, 2019.

Here is the trailer for the previous film:

I still haven't seen that one. I've seen the Dead Meat: Kill Count episode of it, now I should watch the film itself (should have done it first, but, oh well..).
    Trailer updates:

1st teasers for Holmes & Watson, Hellboy, Vice, Rocketman, X-Men: Dark Phoenix and Ad Astra are all coming in next couple of weeks.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Curious about Hellboy and X-Men.