Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Ah very excited for this one. Can’t wait to see what 200 million dollars looks like for a drama.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    March 2019 preview:

• edited February 2019 Posts: 4,600
    I think I just got a heart attack. I am excited.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    They did a good job building excitement with this teaser. I'm certainly pumped for it!
    March 2019 preview:
    I had no idea a film about this attack was being made. Looking forward to this.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    March 2019 preview:

I would love to see Huppert as a Bond villain, she has a fearsome screen presence, all she'd need is a Hinx type henchman to carry out the physical stuff.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Lion King (2019) poster with American release date

MV5BMjIwMjE1Nzc4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg4OTA1NzM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6105098/mediaviewer/rm2458872832
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I think I just got a heart attack. I am excited.

Me too. Wow, just, wow.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,690

BDPS8-Am-TL2-Fmq-Vxf-A049v-XBf-VB9i-BLGa-Zg36-Ajpw2y-Q.jpg
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The Irishman is got to be as incredible as we hope.

You don't get one of the greatest directors of all time back with his original leading man, (De Niro). Then throw Pacino, Keitel & Pesci into the mix with a quality supporting cast for it to be a disappoint do you?

I'll definitely be looking for a screening of this, no way I'm waiting for Netflix.

Fine for repeated views once I've seen it but the big screen is the first place to see this. I missed Wolf of Wallstreet at the cinema at my peril not making this the same case.

This and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood are my films for 2019.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Shardlake wrote: »

You don't get one of the greatest directors of all time back with his original leading man, (De Niro). Then throw Pacino, Keitel & Pesci into the mix with a quality supporting cast for it to be a disappoint do you?

I'll definitely be looking for a screening of this, no way I'm waiting for Netflix.

Fine for repeated views once I've seen it but the big screen is the first place to see this. I missed Wolf of Wallstreet at the cinema at my peril not making this the same case.

My understanding is that it'll work the exact same way as Roma: limited theatrical release kicking off the same day it drops on Netflix. I'm sure it'd be much better in theaters, but those limited releases never release anywhere near me so Netflix will be my method of viewing, I suppose.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »

My understanding is that it'll work the exact same way as Roma: limited theatrical release kicking off the same day it drops on Netflix. I'm sure it'd be much better in theaters, but those limited releases never release anywhere near me so Netflix will be my method of viewing, I suppose.

I had heard they would be looking for a bigger roll out for this than they did with Roma.

Roma is fantastic but the potential for this on the big screen is going to be bigger with the director and cast involved.

I guess we'll see, I know they are considering doing screenings before it hit Netflix, so it will hit them a few weeks or so after it's had a Ltd theatrical run.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 40,470
    Hopefully so, I'll gladly catch it in theaters if that's the case, but I don't mind catching it on Netflix, either. Will be nice knowing it's there for viewing the morning I wake up, I'm sure I'll instantly cave and have to press play.

I'll forever be bummed out that I missed Roma in cinemas (or rather, I didn't have an easy opportunity to see it without driving hours and hours away to see it). It was my favorite film of 2018, no question.
    The upcoming installments of Shaft and Hellboy have officially been given an R Rating.
    The upcoming installments of Shaft and Hellboy have officially been given an R Rating.
    I don´t care for this seeming Shaft abomination, but I´m sure glad Hellboy gets an R Rating!

@bondjames @MajorDSmythe @doubleoego @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @Creasy47

Taylor Sheridan (Sicario, Soldado, Hell or High Water, Wind River) has confirmed his next project as director & writer: Fast (current working title).

The film follows a former special forces commando, who is recruited by the DEA to lead a black ops strike team targeting drug dealers who are protected by the CIA.

Chris Pratt is in final negotiations to portray the lead role.

Update: Gavin O'Connor (Warrior, The Accountant) will be replacing Taylor Sheridan in the director's chair.

Sheridan will instead direct Those Who Wish Me Dead with Angelina Jolie in the lead role. The film is described as a hard-boiled chase thriller set against a wildfire in the Montana wilderness.

----

First poster for Midsommar, the new horror film from Ari Aster, the director of Hereditary:

vc4s8ttkgbj21.jpg

A young woman reluctantly joins her boyfriend on a summer trip where things quickly go awry.

Release date: August 8, 2019.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 5,808
    Funny, I misread the title. Of course, there's going to be a few murders there :D
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm getting The Wicker Man vibes from that one.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 5,767
    That Looks so bad it could actually be fun. If the Animation style goes on throughout the whole film and doesn´t interchange with realistic Looking frames it could fit.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 15,690
    boldfinger wrote: »
    That Looks so bad it could actually be fun. If the Animation style goes on throughout the whole film and doesn´t interchange with realistic Looking frames it could fit.

It looks like a nice throwback to 1990's pure, no-nonsense & non-stop entertaining action/adventure films, say like the recent Jumanji film with Dwayne Johnson.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    That's a much better trailer than the first, anyway. I'm trying very hard to push Perlman from my mind but I can't, and the film will likely unfairly suffer because of it. However, it looks pretty decent and the R-rating is very welcome!
    Furie, the latest Asian action/revenge flick (from Vietnam), is getting very positive
    reviews.

'“Furie” is perhaps the most entertaining film of its type since “The Raid 2: Berendal” blasted out of Indonesia five years ago"'

'"Furie doesn’t boast the most original setup or break any new ground, leaning heavily on formula, but it makes the most of what it has. The action is strong, and Veronica Ngo gives her character’s ass-kicking depth and motivation—hopefully this will be the star-making turn she deserves. Kiet Le-Van and company deliver a slick, stylized, exciting martial arts ride"'

'"Anyone interested in modern day cinematic hand-to-hand combat is urged to check out Furie. It is a faithful modernization of 80’s Hong Kong hard-boiled female action flicks."'

'"Furie is a film that takes a rather generic and predictable plotting and raises it to the next level with a fantastic lead performance, jaw dropping action, and a great sense of style that takes the visual cues and color swaths of John Wick and embeds it into the gritty and neon powered underworld of Vietnam.''

''At the end of the day, most audiences just want to be entertained. That’s a solid metric and, with most films, that’s the perfect way to look at cinema. In this sense, Furie absolutely delivers the goods. Kiet’s script is focused, the action is intense, and Ngo delivers the performance necessary to anchor the whole experience. Nothing about the film feels manufactured or hyped: not the intelligence of the characters, not the reactions from the police, not the somehow superhuman physical ability of near everyone Hai takes on. By grounding Furie, the losses are undeniably heartrending and the wins are deliciously victorious."

''Kiet and Ngo deliver some juicy red meat for action fans. This is a lithe, street smart movie that only has one speed: full throttle. So, it’s a simple, straight forward review for an unfussy, gleefully violent film. Highly recommended for fans of martial arts films and Vietnamese cinema."''

edited March 2019 Posts: 40,470
    First poster for Midsommar, the new horror film from Ari Aster, the director of Hereditary:

vc4s8ttkgbj21.jpg

A young woman reluctantly joins her boyfriend on a summer trip where things quickly go awry.

Release date: August 8, 2019.

The first trailer for this will arrive Monday, March 5th. If it's half as crazy as Aster's previous film, Herditary, it's going to be insane.

Also, work has officially begun on the Edge of Tomorrow sequel:

https://deadline.com/2019/03/tom-cruise-emily-blunt-edge-of-tomorrow-sequel-doug-liman-warner-bros-science-fiction-all-you-need-is-kill-1202567549/
    @bondjames @Creasy47 @doubleoego @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe @ClarkDevlin

Frank Grillo is officially onboard The Hitman's Bodyguard 2, alongside Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L Jackson and Salma Hayek.

----

Guillermo Del Toro will direct the ninja movie Zanbato.

Plot details are thin, but sources say that Zanbato centers around a young female ninja — a character who could be anywhere between 10 and 15 years old.

http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro-jj-abrams-zanbato/
    Guillermo del Toro filming a ninja movie? Sign me up.
    I think I'll give it a pass.