Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

It is very similar to THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD from 1951, which is a much better film.

They were both loosely based on a novella from the 30s called WHO GOES THERE?

Hadn't heard about that film before. You learn something new every day!

Both films are excellent! Carpenter movie is closer to the novella. Saw it in the cinema at the time. Rob Bottins effects were superb.
    And it has a great cast with Kurt Russell in the lead.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames @doubleoego @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe @Creasy47

Sylvester Stallone will start production on Rambo 5 later this summer (once he finishes working on Creed 2), before moving unto Expendables 4, which is now confirmed to start filming in early 2019.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    It is very similar to THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD from 1951, which is a much better film.

They were both loosely based on a novella from the 30s called WHO GOES THERE?

Hadn't heard about that film before. You learn something new every day!

Both films are excellent! Carpenter movie is closer to the novella. Saw it in the cinema at the time. Rob Bottins effects were superb.
    And it has a great cast with Kurt Russell in the lead.
    Totally agree @Mathis1. To say that John Carpenter's The Thing is awful proves just how big the gap is in what some of us perceive as great cinema.

Sisters Brothers looks good. Read the book by Patrick Dewitt a long time ago. Not sure what Riz Ahmed is doing in a western, but I'll just put it down to hokey casting?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

9irj5jw95az01.jpg

DTV films don't have a great reputation, but I have enjoyed (and not in a "so bad they're good" way) most of JCVDs latter films. Black Water looks like it won't disappoint.
    Looking forward to Black Water, too.

Speaking of DTV, 6 Bullets is a legitimately good DTV film.

---

Remakes have to live up to higher standards than other films, to justify their existence by taking the original film and adding something to it. A couple of remakes that do so, regardless of whether they turned out good or bad on the whole, are Sleuth and Cape Fear.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »

9irj5jw95az01.jpg

DTV films don't have a great reputation, but I have enjoyed (and not in a "so bad they're good" way) most of JCVDs latter films. Black Water looks like it won't disappoint.
    Looking forward to Black Water, too.

Speaking of DTV, 6 Bullets is a legitimately good DTV film.

And Assassination Games, especially that one.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm excited for this one. :D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    So many great films in the works. If we can get even a sliver of the sort of cool, grit and intensity so readily apparent in the trailer above in the next Bond effort I may just be able to forgive a lot
    Sicario: Day of the Soldado and MI: Fallout are the two standout movies that are top of my must-see list. The rest perhaps less so.
    MI: Fallout is the standout for me. Haven't seen the first Sicario film yet.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 40,462
    bondsum wrote: »
    Sicario: Day of the Soldado and MI: Fallout are the two standout movies that are top of my must-see list. The rest perhaps less so.

Off the top of my head, they're the only two films I plan on seeing in theaters this year. The latter seems to be an IMAX must-see, so hopefully I can manage a trip.

2nd trailer for the action flick Upgrade:

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That looks really horrible.
    That looks really horrible.
    I agree with you there, Thunders. That does look truly awful.

Trailer for the Hong Kong gangster crime film Ash is Purest White:

Looks interesting enough!

The 1st trailer for Peppermint, the new revenge action flick from Pierre Morel (Taken) & starring Jennifer Gardner in the lead role, will be released next week.

Peppermint is a revenge story centering on a young mother who finds herself with nothing to lose, and is now going to take from her rivals the very life they stole from her.

----

The 1st trailer for Peppermint, the new revenge action flick from Pierre Morel (Taken) & starring Jennifer Gardner in the lead role, will be released next week.

Peppermint is a revenge story centering on a young mother who finds herself with nothing to lose, and is now going to take from her rivals the very life they stole from her.
    Should be good. I hope her 'special set of skills' are up to snuff.
    ----

This Pooh film looks good. I've been a fan since childhood so I may check it out.
    robin_hood_ver4.jpg

----

VOJ0VBf.jpg
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2018 Posts: 4,441
    New trailer Ocean's 8

Screentime is set on 110 minutes.

Dutch release date is 21 June.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 15,690
    June 2018 preview:

First poster for Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, the new film from Kim Jee-Woon (A Bittersweet Life, The Good The Bad The Weird, I Saw the Devil, The Age of Shadows):

lJktYc8.jpg

The plot: Set in the distant future where both North and South Koreas agree to establish a joint government, which has been in preparation for a duration of 7 years, the plot focuses on political uprisings on opposing sides which grow fierce when a special police unit is formed to stop the chaos.

1st official image of Josh Harnett in Gut Instinct:

y9k2fdffoo011.jpg

The plot: Ex heroin junkie, Daniel Léger, gets involved in a drug deal with the wrong people for the wrong reasons. When the deal goes sour, Daniel gets thrown into a Thai prison and slapped with a 100-year sentence. While he tries to survive his Bangkok incarceration, the news of his conviction captures the attention of Globe and Mail journalist Victor Malarek, who decides to go after the shady undercover cops responsible for wrongly accusing Daniel.

----

Traler for the Russian-set Chinese action flick The Blizzard:

Full trailer tomorrow:

5hdxm2ba13111.jpg

----

Dave Bautista will play the lead role in the big screen adaptation of the comic book Dogtown. It will be an action/comedy.

Bautista will play Mack Delgado, a professional bounty hunter tough enough to be called a “body bagger.” Things take a turn for him when the teenage daughter he never knew he had turns up on his doorstep, hoping to reconnect with the father she lost long ago.

Filming to start this fall.

----

TV spot for The Meg:

----

Tom Cruise confirmed via his Instagram that production for Top Gun: Maverick has started, as of today.

32541007_214589685999810_8705151449107005440_n.jpg

----

Director Bong Joon-ho ('Snowpiercer', 'Okja') has started production on his next film, Parasite.

The film is a drama about a family of four, in which each member has unique characteristics. Bong says that, despite the title, the film does not include either parasites or alien creatures.

To be released in 2019, this will be Bong Joon-ho's first Korean-language film since Mother (2009).

----

u79PcZo.jpg
    ----

Tom Cruise confirmed via his Instagram that production for Top Gun: Maverick has started, as of today.

32541007_214589685999810_8705151449107005440_n.jpg

----
    I haven't seen the first one yet. I have to get on that.

Full Trailer for Peppermint

This doesn't look too bad. A bit heavy on the melodrama but the action at least is enticing.