Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Looks very good.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm very much looking forward to The Front Runner, as I'm a big political junkie. From what I understand, Hart had a real shot at it prior to the revelations breaking. Merely 4 years later Slick Willy rewrote the book on surviving adultery. One wonders if Hart should have let it play out rather than doing the honourable thing and committing political Seppuku.

Reprisal looks great. Willis back in form hopefully.

Of course Creed 2 is going to rock.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2018 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames Don't forget that this year we are also getting the Dick Cheney biopic Backseat, directed by Adam Mckay (The Big Short), starring Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Steve Carrell, Eddie Marsan, Sam Rockwell, Bill Pullman, Shea Whigham.

te_le_chargement_8.jpg
    Capture_d_e_cran_2018_06_20_a_08_49_18.png
    rexfeatures_2103279ac_e1457052297936.jpg
    I did indeed forget about Backseat @DaltonCraig007. Thanks for reminding me. I'm really looking forward to it. Bale is completely unrecognizable and it appears as though he will give this his all.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,280
    bondjames wrote: »
    I did indeed forget about Backseat @DaltonCraig007. Thanks for reminding me. I'm really looking forward to it. Bale is completely unrecognizable and it appears as though he will give this his all.

So will the makeup department, it looks like! That's some incredible work.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames @doubleoego @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe @Creasy47

The upcoming sports biopic Ford vs Ferrari has been given a June 28, 2019 release.

The film is directed by James Mangold (Logan), and stars Matt Damon, Christian Bale and Jon Bernthal.

The plot follows the true story of the battle between Ford and Ferrari to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966.
    Bale is such an incredible force, I recently watched him in Hostiles, and he was unbelievably good.
    @boldfinger Hostiles is one of my favorite films I’ve seen this year so far.
    @DaltonCraig007, I feel the same. I was initially reluctant because I knew it wasn´t going to be all sunshine, but the film is also easily Cooper´s best so far IMO. The subtlety with which he turns things around slowly is marvellous. The film moved me emotionally like only a few other films, expecially
    when Bale calls Yellowhawk "my friend".
    And I love how the ending went on in a comforting direction without being kitschy.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    mattjoes wrote: »

9irj5jw95az01.jpg

DTV films don't have a great reputation, but I have enjoyed (and not in a "so bad they're good" way) most of JCVDs latter films. Black Water looks like it won't disappoint.
    Looking forward to Black Water, too.

Speaking of DTV, 6 Bullets is a legitimately good DTV film.

---

Remakes have to live up to higher standards than other films, to justify their existence by taking the original film and adding something to it. A couple of remakes that do so, regardless of whether they turned out good or bad on the whole, are Sleuth and Cape Fear.

@mattjoes , 6 Bullets was directed by a friend of mine, Ernie Barbarash. I actually find most of his DTV work slick and well executed. For every buck he gets, he makes it look like ten bucks on the screen.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007, I feel the same. I was initially reluctant because I knew it wasn´t going to be all sunshine, but the film is also easily Cooper´s best so far IMO. The subtlety with which he turns things around slowly is marvellous. The film moved me emotionally like only a few other films, expecially
    when Bale calls Yellowhawk "my friend".
    And I love how the ending went on in a comforting direction without being kitschy.

The ending is fantastic. The shootout parallel to the start. The stabbing. When bale gets on the back of the train. Amazing
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    peter wrote: »

9irj5jw95az01.jpg

DTV films don't have a great reputation, but I have enjoyed (and not in a "so bad they're good" way) most of JCVDs latter films. Black Water looks like it won't disappoint.

---

Remakes have to live up to higher standards than other films, to justify their existence by taking the original film and adding something to it. A couple of remakes that do so, regardless of whether they turned out good or bad on the whole, are Sleuth and Cape Fear.

@mattjoes , 6 Bullets was directed by a friend of mine, Ernie Barbarash. I actually find most of his DTV work slick and well executed. For every buck he gets, he makes it look like ten bucks on the screen.
    Cool!

I must check Assassination Games one of these days.
    The upcoming sports biopic Ford vs Ferrari has been given a June 28, 2019 release.

The film is directed by James Mangold (Logan), and stars Matt Damon, Christian Bale and Jon Bernthal.

The plot follows the true story of the battle between Ford and Ferrari to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966.
    Damon, Bale and Bernthal in one film? This should be great! I remember seeing a Steve McQueen film on the same topic many years ago and of course loved Rush.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    peter wrote: »

9irj5jw95az01.jpg

---

Cool!

I must check Assassination Games one of these days.

You should. And it's another JCVD film with Scott Adkins, this time playing a second lead.
    Love Denzel as The Equalizer so I'll be there on July 20.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

It's good to see Caine still going strong, the man is a British acting icon. The rest of the cast looks good too.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Yeah, that doesn´t look bad. But I wonder when it will be possible again for slightly aged actors to play slightly aged people without having to make fun of age all the time.

That looks better than the first trailer and the first film. Guess I´m gonna see it :-).

Both King of Thieves and The Equalizer 2 look very good indeed.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Despite not releasing for another two months, Mile 22 is already getting a script treatment worked on for a sequel:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/954517-mile-22-sequel-gets-a-screenwriter

New trailer for the latest Indonesian action film, Buffalo Boys:

----

1st English subtitled trailer for the South Korean spy thriller The Spy Gone North:

----

A new trailer for The Predator will drop today.

----

The long-awaited trailer for the latest Nicolas Cage film, Mandy, will drop tomorrow.

YIo9QkN.jpg
    Capture_d_e_cran_2018_06_26_a_08_44_33.png

----

bad_times_at_the_el_royale_ver2_xlg.jpg
    bad_times_at_the_el_royale_ver3_xlg.jpg
    bad_times_at_the_el_royale_ver4_xlg.jpg
    bad_times_at_the_el_royale_ver5_xlg.jpg
    bad_times_at_the_el_royale_ver6_xlg.jpg
    bad_times_at_the_el_royale_ver7_xlg.jpg
    bad_times_at_the_el_royale_ver8_xlg.jpg
    bad_times_at_the_el_royale_ver9_xlg.jpg

The 1960's set drama Green Book has received a release date of November 21, 2018.

Directed by Peter Farrelly, starring Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen.

The plot: Mortensen portrays an Italian-American bouncer with a seventh-grade education who is hired to drive a world-class pianist, played by Ali, on a concert tour from Manhattan to the Deep South. They must rely on the “Negro Motorist Green Book” to guide them to the few establishments that were then safe for blacks. Confronted with racism, danger — as well as unexpected humanity and humor — they are forced to set aside differences to survive and thrive.

This release date announcement pushes back Robert Zemeckis' Welcome To Marwen from Nov 21 to December 21, 2018.
    And here's the 2nd trailer for The Predator:

QfYJjtv.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That poster looks good, but the movie itself looks meaningless.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yep, I have no interest in the movie itself. Shane Black overhyped how "special" it would be.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Those posters for Bad Times at the El Royale have such an amazing backdrop, I might just go see the film.

Either that Predator film is rather mediocre, or the studio hasn't got a clue how to market it. Since it's a Shane black film, I could even believe the latter.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Those posters for Bad Times at the El Royale have such an amazing backdrop, I might just go see the film.
    Agreed. The posters remind me of a psychological thriller I saw in the early 2000's entitled Identity, starring Ray Liotta, John Cusack, Alfred Molina and Amanda Peet. I'm not sure if this film itself will be similar plot-wise, but the character posters evoke that film.
    @bondjames did you watch the trailer for Bad Times at the El Royale?

No, I hadn't seen it before @DaltonCraig007. Thanks for posting. Intriguing trailer, which certainly whets my appetite for the final product. I didn't realize it was set in the past. The rain filled night-time scenes are definitely reminiscent of Identity but the plot looks to be quite different.