Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 13,882
    I didn't mean that as a criticism, I enjoyed both of those films, and this looks like yet another thrill ride from Neeson/Collet-Serra.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I didn't mean that as a criticism, I enjoyed both of those films, and this looks like yet another thrill ride from Neeson/Collet-Serra.
    Me too. Looking forward to it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,686
    3 trailers coming within the next week:

- Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again
    - Ocean's 8
    - Sicario 2: Soldado

Get Collet-Serra to do a Bond film. I just have this feeling it'd be damn good.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767
    3 trailers coming within the next week:

- Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again
    - Ocean's 8
    - Sicario 2: Soldado
    I´m a big fan if Sicario, and I´m totally in love at the moment with the tv series Gomorrha, so I´m very pumped for the Soldado trailer!

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »

Get Collet-Serra to do a Bond film. I just have this feeling it'd be damn good.

I have suggested him in the past, I feel he would be a good choice to steer the series away from the drama it is drowning in, and back to well crafted spy (/action) thrillers.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames

Announced runtimes for 2 very interesting films:

Hostiles (the Christian Bale western): 2 hours and 13 minutes.
    All the Money in the World: 2 hours and 15 minutes.

And, of course, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle clocks at exactly 2 hours.
    The first two are on my list @DaltonCraig007, and especially All The Money In The World. I have to say that from the trailers at least, I much prefer Plummer to Spacey. Just the way he delivers "Nothing" shows what a great actor he is.

I'm not so sure about Jumanji. I've not seen the first one and may only catch this on home video.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @Creasy47 @ClarkDevlin

New english-subtitled trailers for 2 upcoming true-story South Korean crime films:

The Outlaws

1987: When the Day Comes

bondjames wrote: »
    The first two are on my list, and especially All The Money In The World. I have to say that from the trailers at least, I much prefer Plummer to Spacey. Just the way he delivers "Nothing" shows what a great actor he is.

I prefer Plummer's sly delivery, too, but the concept behind Spacey's delivery --a certain overt defiance to the idea of paying-- was also valid, though I think Spacey tries to hard to sell it. And he looks a tad weird with that makeup-- I can't shake the idea off my head that Spacey is underneath all that, so there is a layer of artifice to his performance that probably hurts it a little.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    The first two are on my list, and especially All The Money In The World. I have to say that from the trailers at least, I much prefer Plummer to Spacey. Just the way he delivers "Nothing" shows what a great actor he is.

I prefer Plummer's sly delivery, too, but the concept behind Spacey's delivery --a certain overt defiance to the idea of paying-- was also valid, though I think Spacey tries to hard to sell it. And he looks a tad weird with that makeup-- I can't shake the idea off my head that Spacey is underneath all that, so there is a layer of artifice to his performance that probably hurts it a little.
    I agree completely. That's exactly what I felt too.
    Whoever in Hollywood keeps buying the idea that such heavy prostetics (Foxcatcher, LBJ, The darkest Hour, this film) are a good idea, I think they´re fools. Where it did work for me was in Austin Powers and Eddie Murphy films, and I think that says all.
    I´m not sure at all about the film, but it sure has the best line of posters in decades. Are all those posters official or fan work?
    Yes, I agree. What's great about that above poster is it gives the feeling of a train in motion. The clear photo is reminiscent of the train stopped at the tracks and the others are more in keeping with it in motion (less clear).
    All posters of The Commuter released so far (and yes, @boldfinger, all of them are official posters ;) ) :

commuter_ver2.jpg
    commuter_ver3.jpg
    commuter_ver4.jpg
    commuter_ver5.jpg
    commuter_ver7.jpg
    commuter_ver6.jpg
    commuter.jpg
    Those are all great. In particular I love the first one, which gets inspiration from the NY Transit Metro signs.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    There’s something very Saul Bass about the last one.
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007! I'll spend the rest of the year scrolling up and down between them :-).
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @Creasy47 @ClarkDevlin

1st teaser for Psychokinesis, the new film from the director of 2016's South Korean zombie flick Train to Busan:

Robert Pattinson is set to star in French director Claire Denis' first English-language film (and her first sci-fi movie as well): High Life.

The plot: A death row inmate is sent on an isolated, no-return mission to explore a black hole.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm curious but also cautious. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Actually looks pretty solid, but I'm already tired of teasers that only showcase an entire sequence in a minute or two.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Mortal Engines. I had no idea.

Ridley Scott, straight off after managing the monumental task of re-casting Kevin Spacey in the true-story thriller All the Money in the World a mere month before the film's release on December 25th, has announced production on his next film will most likely begin in March 2018: a gangster film titled The Cartel.

The plot: Based on the novel written by Don Winslow, the film follows the story of the engrossing friendship-turned-rivalry between DEA agent Art Keller and Mexican drug kingpin Adan Berrera and the crushingly cyclical nature of the war on drugs.

Ridley Scott is aiming to get Leonardo Dicaprio and Benicio Del Toro in the lead roles, respectively as the DEA agent and the Mexican drug kingpin.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Actually looks pretty solid, but I'm already tired of teasers that only showcase an entire sequence in a minute or two.
    I´m not, and I agree with you on the first point :-).

Ridley Scott, straight off after managing the monumental task of re-casting Kevin Spacey in the true-story thriller All the Money in the World a mere month before the film's release on December 25th, has announced production on his next film will most likely begin in March 2018: a gangster film titled The Cartel.

The plot: Based on the novel written by Don Winslow, the film follows the story of the engrossing friendship-turned-rivalry between DEA agent Art Keller and Mexican drug kingpin Adan Berrera and the crushingly cyclical nature of the war on drugs.

Ridley Scott is aiming to get Leonardo Dicaprio and Benicio Del Toro in the lead roles, respectively as the DEA agent and the Mexican drug kingpin.
    That´s Winslow´s most boring novel IMO. Combined with recent Ridley Scott, this looks like it´s going to be a boring version of American Gangster.
    Makes me wonder who bought the rights to Power of the Dog, which is Winslow´s novel that tells the story before The Cartel and is pure dynamite in many regards, kind of like Scorsese on a high.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    And to think Sicario himself would be the Mexican drug kingpin. :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    And to think Sicario himself would be the Mexican drug kingpin. :D

AND he's got the sequel coming next year, Soldado. Seems we'll get a lot of cartel-driven del Toro flicks in the next year or two then, can't complain about that.