FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• Vertigo
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have given this thing a lot of thought. My initial choice would be Psycho, but then there are so many more great Hitchcock films to choose from: Vertigo, Rear Window, The Birds, North By Northwest, Marnie, … But, I have selected Dial M For Murder. This is not only the one Hitchcock I watch most often, it’s also the one I think has the strongest dialogue, the best acting, Hitch’s most beautiful leading lady… and a superb finale.

Dial-M-pic-1.jpg
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The Birds. It's just a thrilling experience. One of my top ten films of all time.
  • "Even better than Titanic", my wife declared after seeing Psycho for the first time. Big words for her, and I tend to agree.

Hitchcock is definitely one of the greatest, and naming my favourite would likely be a toss-up among contenders like Strangers on a Train, North by Northwest, Psycho, Dial M for Murder, Vertigo, Rear Window, Notorious and possibly The Birds. Too many brilliant films to decisively pick one. But I keep coming back to Psycho. So lean, so sly in playing with the expectations and sympathies of the audience, so disorientating, so fiendishly funny and so brutally effective. And what's more, the intangible element making it even more than the sum of its parts, aptly underlined by its devastating absence in Van Sant's remake. Pure brilliance as far as I'm concerned.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Hard to choose. For today, I'll pick North by Northwest ... because of Cary and Eva Marie Saint, the locations, the sparkling dialog, memorable scenes, the whole package. I enjoy this one the most = favorite.

Pyscho and The Birds were, in m opinion, game changers. So eerie, so different and dark and thought provoking. Superb shots, direction, acting, script, all of it. And both built suspense palpably. Honestly they are strong classics.

Several of Hitchcock's films are just masterpieces. Hard to rate one over the other. but I'll say my very favorite is North by Northwest.
    Not that this is a particularly surprising pick, but I'll go with Psycho. Terrific film, one of my all time favorites.

I really liked The Birds as well.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    A tie between
    Vertigomovie_restoration.jpg

And

alfred_hitchcock_rear_window_movie_poster_2a.jpg

Two stunningly brilliant films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    N by N/W.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 3,336
    Nice choices benny. Both Vertigo and Rear window are in my top 10 all time list. 6th and 7th place
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>009</b>
    What is your favourite Hitchcock film?</font></center>

For me i think it would have to be "The Birds".
  • It's always hard to choose a Hitchcock movie, because you know you're letting others which are really brilliant !
    So I'd picked Vertigo, because among all the Hitchcock films I love, it's the one who had the biggest effect on me as a spectator, and still does today ! From the music to the actors and the stories, it gives me thrills from head to toes !
  • North By Northwest is my favourite but I also love some of his early work. The 39 Steps, Strangers On A Train, Rope and Shadow Of A Doubt among them.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I know its a bit of a cliche but Psycho has to be my favourite of his. The music and cinematography are incredible.

As is the dialogue:

"I think that...we're all in our private traps. Clamped in them...and none of us can ever get out. We scratch and claw...but...only at the air...only at eachother...and for all of it...we never budge an inch"
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 7,653
    To catch a Thief with an impossible hot Grace Kelly and a brilliant Cary Grant as a cat burglar on the run. A great tale filmed in beautiful glorious colours.

The lady vanishes is a great spy-movie as is the 39 steps, great early m,aterial from hitchcock.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 5,767
    To catch a Thief is the only one I have on DVD.
    N by N/W, Vertigo, The Iron Curtain all left a very strong impression on me.
    If I had to chose I´d put To catch a Thief or N by N/W on the top spot, for their rather light-hearted atmosphere, and for the granite stone interior design.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Rebecca (1940)
    Those Hitchcock film posters are classic!
    Hard to pick one. So many that I just love. What film do I most think of when Hitchcock's name is mentioned?

PSYCHO
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited September 2014 Posts: 7,567
    I'm not going to be clever about this and offer up some obscure early movie. As much as I love Notorious , Suspicion and Rear Window they don't make my top 3.

Third place - Psycho. The original slasher movie is still a terrific piece of suspense, thanks in no small part to Anthony Perkins. Talk about a performance ahead of it's time.
    Yes Hitchcock was clearly inspired by Les Diabolique (which is better IMHO) and that is always commented on, but Psycho is still a great film.

Second Place - North By North West - Glamorous, exciting, suspenseful - everything a Bond film should be ;-). This is a film that stands up to umpteen repeat viewings. Terrific.

First - Rebecca. Is this the most achingly romantic film ever made? Probably not, but it's Hitchcock at his assured best. None of his annoying camera gimmicks, none of his clumsy use of props to create suspense. Just a great story, great acting, real, proper, genuine suspense and a Mrs Danvers to scare the heeby jeebies out of the toughest one of us. My favorite Hitchcock by a mile.
  • Rebecca for sure.
  • Very tough question going to have to say Foreign Correspondent. Watched this film numerous times when young really captured my imagination.
    I must confess I have never watched "Rebecca" but given all this love from you folks for that film, I've ordered the DVD. ;-)

<center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>010</b>
    What's the biggest positive U-turn you ever experienced in your appreciation for an actor?</font></center>
    edited September 2014 Posts: 23,447
    Mine is for Tom Hardy.

shinzon.jpg

I first saw Hardy as Shinzon in Star Trek Nemesis and found his performance so acidic he could have bitten off the rust from a bolt nut with it. Bad timing, a serious case of overacting, spitting out his lines like an amateur who fails to convey anger in a credible way... I looked him up immediately after the film and decided that was going to hate this boy for the rest of my life.

Then came Inception. And Bronson. And TTSS. And TDKR. And I was impressed. I was more than impressed! I had an epiphany. I didn't see a good actor, but a great actor. And Inception wasn't accidental, it was nothing less than a testimony of the man's abilities as an actor. I might even accept him for Bond.

tom_hardy_19839.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Dimi first time I saw Hardy was in Layer Cake. To be honest I didn't really notice him. Then I saw Bronson, and I was amazed. In 2010 I saw him in Inception and he quickly became my favorite character in the movie. He blew me away in 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy', and he was awesome in TDKR!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited September 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Mine is David Soul. As an orange villager in "The Apple" Star Trek episode I found him to be utterly uninteresting (Vol was better than he was), but later on Starsky & Hutch his heroine addiction episode had me respecting him greatly.
  • Tom Hardy gave a very good performance in Locke too.
    Mine would be Tom Hanks
    Prior to 1987 I hated him. Especially his role in that short lived sitcom, "Bosom Buddies",
    After seeing his work in "Nothing In Common" (one of my all time favorite films) I changed my attitude about him and have nothing but praise for his work. Forest Gump, Philadelphia, etc
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    (deleted)
    (deleted)