Rambo: Last Blood (September 20, 2019)

Comments

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Another nice shot of him from Stallone's Instagram:

wsXH5rH.jpg

I'm wondering the likelihood that his hair really is long and it's tied up under that hat.... I mean, it really wouldn't be the same without it, right??

Don't expect long haired Rambo in this one.
    In all the previous movies Sly had always let his natural hair grow out, he never used wigs or anything like that.
    This time around you could see on his instagram that he kept his hair short, up until shooting started.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I feel bad for those responsible for this one, trying to one-up the brutality and kill count of the last one; that's going to be a challenge.

I don’t think that will necessarily be the goal. First Blood was not a bloodbath of stacked corpses; there’s no doubt that there will be action and violence, but something tells me that Sly is shooting for something different with this one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I feel bad for those responsible for this one, trying to one-up the brutality and kill count of the last one; that's going to be a challenge.

I don’t think that will necessarily be the goal. First Blood was not a bloodbath of stacked corpses; there’s no doubt that there will be action and violence, but something tells me that Sly is shooting for something different with this one.

I never said it was, but given that most people tend to applaud the last one for just how many kills they manage to cram into such a short runtime, I can only assume they'll be aiming for something even higher.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Shooting for something different. Aiming higher. Definitely sounds like Rambo.
    How come?

How come they are retarded? What else can you call them?
    The first one is anything but retarded. It´s an emotional Drama with Action and a bit of Horror.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    boldfinger wrote: »
    How come?
    How come they are retarded? What else can you call them?
    The first one is anything but retarded. It´s an emotional Drama with Action and a bit of Horror.
    +1
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 4,599
    First Blood is multi layered. When I first saw it, at the age of 17, it was a classic action movie. But as you grow up, you see more regarding his back story and how it represents a whole generation of "vets", plus the whole "small town" culture, plus he spares them rather than kills them. You also appreciate the acting more with Brian Dennehey a standout for me. The direction is great with tension/stakes building and the set pieces are really well edited (escape from the Police station).

Its a great example that "you can have your cake and eat it". An action movie with serious and dramatic themes. Just love it. Its a shame they went down hill and First Blood tends to be tarred with the same critical brush.
    I’d love for them to go down the Logan route with this film and have it be Rambo’s Last Stand.
    I think that's the route they'll go.
    patb wrote: »
    First Blood is multi layered. When I first saw it, at the age of 17, it was a classic action movie. But as you grow up, you see more regarding his back story and how it represents a whole generation of "vets", plus the whole "small town" culture, plus he spares them rather than kills them. You also appreciate the acting more with Brian Dennehey a standout for me. The direction is great with tension/stakes building and the set pieces are really well edited (escape from the Police station).

Its a great example that "you can have your cake and eat it". An action movie with serious and dramatic themes. Just love it. Its a shame they went down hill and First Blood tends to be tarred with the same critical brush.

Agreed. The first is one of my favourite action movies! The rest are forgettable. Director Ted Kotcheff does a great job on the first one! To think that he was considered for Bond 17 when Dalton was still attached.....!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Agreed. The first is one of my favourite action movies! The rest are forgettable. Director Ted Kotcheff does a great job on the first one! To think that he was considered for Bond 17 when Dalton was still attached.....!

The first one is a great film, not just a great action film. The others, not so much...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Hmmm.... old man Rambo. It might just work. We shall see!
    Enough with this old man dying depressive stuff. Why should the old man die? Do old People not have the Right to live?
    Doesn´t Rambo ring the doorbell of his dad at the end of the last one? Have him and his dad, played by Bruce Dern or Robert Duvall or Tommy Lee Jones, take down the cartel. That way neither Rambo nor his dad would have to die. It would be sad and a waste if Rambo died, after all the closure he achieved. The quest for closure is a main element in the more serious parts of the Franchise. Rambo dying at the end made sense in David Morrell´s first novel, but the films over the Course of time took a different route. This new film should end with a guy from the Government visiting Rambo on his horse farm and pleading for his help, and Rambo tells him he´s too old for this sh**, kicks back in his rocker on his porch, and clinks glasses with his dad.
    I think the use of the word "last" in the title is a pretty big clue that something will draw a line under the series. Nothing draws a line better than death. Plus SS knows how to do great death scenes and use these to engrose the audience.

Plus Rambo is a hero and the ultimate end to a hero within the movies is death via heroism. The ultimate sacrifice.

I also like the look of the background in the last photo. The evergreen, lush fotest. A throwback to the first movie.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Enough with this old man dying depressive stuff. Why should the old man die? Do old People not have the Right to live?
    Doesn´t Rambo ring the doorbell of his dad at the end of the last one? Have him and his dad, played by Bruce Dern or Robert Duvall or Tommy Lee Jones, take down the cartel. That way neither Rambo nor his dad would have to die. It would be sad and a waste if Rambo died, after all the closure he achieved. The quest for closure is a main element in the more serious parts of the Franchise. Rambo dying at the end made sense in David Morrell´s first novel, but the films over the Course of time took a different route. This new film should end with a guy from the Government visiting Rambo on his horse farm and pleading for his help, and Rambo tells him he´s too old for this sh**, kicks back in his rocker on his porch, and clinks glasses with his dad.

He walked down the road to his father's house in the last one.

As far as his old man dying goes, it's understandable. Sly (and thus John Rambo) isn't a young man himself and it's been 10 real life years since he walked that long road to his father's house. While it'd be interesting to see a father/son back-to-back badasses moment between them, it could also play into this being Rambo's last fight if he has nothing left to live for.
    Can't say I'm too intrigued by this. Rocky revivals work better for whatever reason.

That last Rambo film was totally pointless, just nothing but gratuitous violence and no redeeming characters or features from what I recall of it. If they can send the character out on a decent note then do it, but why? Is anybody clamoring to have closure to Rambo's story?

At least they've spared us rebooting the series with Vin Diesel or John Cena or somebody.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Can't say I'm too intrigued by this. Rocky revivals work better for whatever reason.

That last Rambo film was totally pointless, just nothing but gratuitous violence and no redeeming characters or features from what I recall of it. If they can send the character out on a decent note then do it, but why? Is anybody clamoring to have closure to Rambo's story?

At least they've spared us rebooting the series with Vin Diesel or John Cena or somebody.

A reboot of Rambo just couldn't work for me. And I personally loved the fourth film.
    BT3366 wrote: »

A reboot of Rambo just couldn't work for me. And I personally loved the fourth film.
    +1
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Rambo (4) could easily have been a disaster- I remember seeing the trailer and lots of people who weren’t huge Stallone fans like me could be heard whispering ‘he’s too old, is he kidding me?!?’ or something similar.
    But Stallone knows his craft and I know he’ll make this worth our while

(Edit) for the record I LOVED Rambo
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,767

He walked down the road to his father's house in the last one.

As far as his old man dying goes, it's understandable. Sly (and thus John Rambo) isn't a young man himself and it's been 10 real life years since he walked that long road to his father's house. While it'd be interesting to see a father/son back-to-back badasses moment between them, it could also play into this being Rambo's last fight if he has nothing left to live for.
    Nothing left to live for? How about appreciating life itself? No matter how old he is, what should keep him from finding himself a nice cowgirl?

"How about appreciating life itself?"

Another classic theme for movie heroes is the hero who knows his time is running out. (Gran Torino great example and Logan) Remember that Rambo's friend in First Blood had died of cancer (implied from Agent Orange) so fair to assume that Rambo was also exposed. Perhaps he follows his friend's route and, knowing this, "goes out fighting".

Love guessing these plots, I'm sure Im a millon miles away.
  • Oh I love that idea!
    "How about appreciating life itself?"

Another classic theme for movie heroes is the hero who knows his time is running out. (Gran Torino great example and Logan) Remember that Rambo's friend in First Blood had died of cancer (implied from Agent Orange) so fair to assume that Rambo was also exposed. Perhaps he follows his friend's route and, knowing this, "goes out fighting".

Love guessing these plots, I'm sure Im a millon miles away.
    Bah, that sounds depressing. Not that you´re guessing, but life running out. I´m also not too fond of Eastwood´s Approach to the final stages of life, as much as I love his films.

Based on the trailer for Eastwood's "The Mule", he is continuing his exploration of regret.
    I think it's fair that when characters reach a certain age, they look back and think about how their life could have turned out (sometimes for the better). Rambo sacrificed so much to serve his country. It's a perfect opportunity for SS to go to a more classy action movie with some emotional depth rather than just blowing up everything in sight.

There is also the option of the "Unforgiven/Josey Wales" approach where our hero has had enough of killing/violence and will do anything for a peaceful life but something dreadful happens that he just can't ignore and he gets dragged back into his previous lifestyle.

But we do need a great actor as the villain.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 7,888
    I

There is also the option of the "Unforgiven/Josey Wales" approach where our hero has had enough of killing/violence and will do anything for a peaceful life but something dreadful happens that he just can't ignore and he gets dragged back into his previous lifestyle.

But we do need a great actor as the villain.

@patb I agree 100% , the casting of the villain is crucial.

For some time I’ve followed the evolution of this film ; from what I can gather, you are spot on about the Unforgiven/Josie Wales approach.
    Rambo is living a peaceful existence when the horror of human trafficking effects him on a very personal level. Reluctantly the rancher yields to the warrior.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Based on the trailer for Eastwood's "The Mule", he is continuing his exploration of regret.
    Yes, but, without knowing more Details than the Trailer gave away on first sight, there are many ways to go About it. Regret doesn´t mean lost hope. Quite the opposite, regret can be a powerful Motivator towards a better life, no matter if there are only a few years or even days left.

• SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I love „First Blood“ and liked Parts 2 and 4 (3 I think is not that great).

Rocky Balboa was such a great movie and even I liked „John Rambo“ it was more a conclusion to „First Blood - Part II“ so I would love to see a true throwback to the original „First Blood“.
    @talos7 Ive just been guessing, any links to script details? cheers