Rambo: Last Blood (September 20, 2019)

Comments

• Rhinestone Rambo ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Nevada Rambo. ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Rhinestone Rambo ;)
    I think there’s a song there!

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Old Man Logan Rambo
    As in “ Unforgiven” and “Logan” the saga of an old warrior going on one last quest where he has to call on a side of himself he believed had been put to rest, fits Rambo to a tee.
    The end of a long road.
    Oh yes...
    edited October 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I hope Dan Hill comes back on board to record an updated version of the theme song. It definitely needs to add that emotional depth to the character, which was felt only in the first and fourth films. And - of course - bring back Brian Tyler to compose the score for this one. His effort for the fourth was tremendously brilliant.

There is clearly a market for movies that reference Western themes plus the whole thing of age, looking back etc etc. This does open up possibilities for franchises/stars who could have been thought of as "past it"

SS is a clever guy and the success of Logan would not have been lost on him. There is huge potential for an intelligent, multi layered action film here (much like First Blood - the best of the series by miles IMHO).
    The second and the third films are enjoyable action adventures for me, I love them. But, there's no shadow of doubt First Blood is by far the best entry in the series, followed closely by the fourth.

What makes the Rambo series so compelling is its melancholic tone where you sympathize with the protagonist and feel sorry for him. He's a tragic hero. The second and third films downplayed that aspect a lot.
    If you think about it the Rocky series somewhat follows the same pattern with the original and the 6th having the same tone.
    Periodically I watch Rocky and Rocky Balboa as one film.
    Indeed they do. That’s a very accurate assessment.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Fourth one was messy I thought. Kept the OTT action of the second and third films but tried to shift things back to a First Blood sort of tone and be really bleak and topical (I know 2 and 3 reflected real issues/warzones too but that just felt like a jumping off point for the setting, misjudged quote at the end of 3 aside, they weren't trying to be anything more than over the top action movies). I feel bad criticising a film where Stallone literally cuts a guy in half with a machine gun because that sort of thing is right up my street, but I just don't think that mix of styles really worked overall.

Still love the series though and really happy this has finally got off the ground. Those pictures are a surprise. Know he compared the idea to Unforgiven a lot but I didn't think they'd be that on the nose with with the cowboy gear. Rambo with short hair feels weird to me so I'm hoping that's just to get things in motion and then maybe there's some sort of time skip while he prepares for a war and then we see him with his traditional look.

Here's hoping he does Expendables 4 next. I'm sure they could find a part for Pierce.
    talos7 wrote: »
    If you think about it the Rocky series somewhat follows the same pattern with the original and the 6th having the same tone.
    Periodically I watch Rocky and Rocky Balboa as one film.

The original Rocky is my favourite film and Rocky Balboa is perfect. That ending gets me every time. Loved Creed to bits as well, really hoping they keep the quality up with the new one.
    Just rewatched Rambo. This film, for many reasons, is a tear-jerker. Much like the first one.

I really hope the fifth film will be just as good, if not better.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    If Rambo V is the last film I wonder if any consideration was given to incorporating the original novels ending into the film, or at least a reworking of it.
  • Interesting thought- though I’m not sure how well that would fit this late in his life.
    He’s a lot more stable than he was in First Blood.

I always used to have a funny scenario in my head, at the end of the last Rambo, when he’s standing by the mailbox in his old Army jacket- a cop pulls up and asks if he needed a lift. Rambo immediately says NO. ;)
    True it was just a thought, and admittedly John Rambo character has moved on in the films narrative.

Lol that ending @Master_Dahark would be a good bookend.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I don’t think it’d be done. He may die and all, but not in the way it was done in the novel. Rambo is no longer a loose cannon becoming an enemy of the state which he was in First Blood. He evolved from that and let what he had out of his chest in that film. But, a scenario in which he’d die by sacrificing himself for the greater good rather than doing suicide by cop due to emotional instability, that I can see working.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I find these Rambo movies quite retarded.
  • How come?
    I don’t think it’d be done. He may die and all, but not in the way it was done in the novel. Rambo is no longer a loose cannon becoming an enemy of the state which he was in First Blood. He evolved from that and let what he had out of his chest in that film. But, a scenario in which he’d die by sacrificing himself for the greater good rather than doing suicide by cop due to emotional instability, that I can see working.

Yeah I agree. I can see him dying, I'd say it's likely even (how else do you end it? He's already found peace, him going back to war then just finding it again at the end would be a bit samey imo), but not in the same way as the book. Probably go out in a blaze of glory saving the girl/mowing down her kidnappers at the end.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How come?

How come they are retarded? What else can you call them?
  • Can I just say how happy I am that they're giving us another Rambo movie with Stallone, instead of that bullshit idea that was thrown around a year or two ago, involving a TV series about his SON?!?
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,270
    First Blood is one of my favourite films in the genre, and Rambo was a pleasant surprise. This next film I suspect Sly will deliver a great film.
  • Another nice shot of him from Stallone's Instagram:

wsXH5rH.jpg

I'm wondering the likelihood that his hair really is long and it's tied up under that hat.... I mean, it really wouldn't be the same without it, right??
    Yeah I agree. I can see him dying, I'd say it's likely even, but not in the same way as the book. Probably go out in a blaze of glory saving the girl/mowing down her kidnappers at the end.
    My thoughts exactly. I think it’s very likely they’ll be going down that road, especially when Logan was loved in that manner, and the same template really works for Rambo, too, as he’s pretty much cut from the same cloth. Or at least one that’s similar.
  • If Rocky dies in Creed 2, they CAN'T kill Rambo too. I think the world would literally end! :))

But...... I'm betting one of them will bite the dust.
    Can I just say how happy I am that they're giving us another Rambo movie with Stallone, instead of that bullshit idea that was thrown around a year or two ago, involving a TV series about his SON?!?

Didn't realise it was his son, thought they were just going to recast. We really dodged a bullet there.
    Another nice shot of him from Stallone's Instagram:

wsXH5rH.jpg

I'm wondering the likelihood that his hair really is long and it's tied up under that hat.... I mean, it really wouldn't be the same without it, right??

Hope so. What I'm thinking could happen is he has this cowboy thing going on for the opening, or maybe even most of the film, paving the way for a proper badass bit where we see him finally adopt the classic look with the bandanna again when things really kick into gear.

Proper excited for this. I'd almost given up hope on getting another one.
    First Blood is one of my favourite films in the genre, and Rambo was a pleasant surprise. This next film I suspect Sly will deliver a great film.

When it comes to Rambo and Rocky he always knows what he's doing imo. He might not have invented Rambo but it's pretty much his baby now, just like Rocky is. He really cares about both of them, he knows what the fans want and he's a really good writer and director (not sure if he's directing this one though?). Even the fourth one, which I'm not a huge fan of, has a lot going for it and you can see what he's trying to do, his heart was in the right place. He's had years to mull this one over and decide where to go with it as well. I think it'll be great.
    In recent years Sly has taken his two legacies very seriously. I take his hat off for him in that regard... To reveal long Rambo Hair ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I feel bad for those responsible for this one, trying to one-up the brutality and kill count of the last one; that's going to be a challenge.