DAD is Brosnan's MR (EDIT : Now including TB,SP) all the 4th film for each actor.

edited June 2019 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
Watching DAD tonight i feel that this,also being his 4th film,is the fantastical film of his tenure,but is it any worse than Moore's Moonraker ?
Both were their 4th films but it looks like Brosnan got the shit end of the stick in a much less fantastical film.
comments ?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Agreed. DAD is much more entertaining for ME than MR ever will be.
    Lemme do the math:
    DAF X MR - 1/2 the silly = DAD
    I prefer DAD to MR by a little, but they're both in my Top 3 least favorite Bond films, along with AVTAK. It does have some good stuff, and may be hated on a little bit too much, but definitely not even near the series' best.
    Duh...
    I absolutely hate both films. MR came in dead last in the Mi6 survey that ranked the 22 films in 2012. DAD finished at 20...only AVTAK and MR came in behind it.
    Nuff said.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Don't you mean that Moonraker is Moore's Die Another Day
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited May 2014 Posts: 7,314
    barryt007 wrote:
    Watching DAD tonight i feel that this,also being his 4th film,is the fantastical film of his tenure,but is it any worse than Moore's Moonraker ?
    Oh yes. MR is just pure fantasy, a fun adventure film with great cinematography and a wonderful score. DAD actually opens with an intriguing premise and then makes the most baffling choices into the realms of the absurd.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 1,280
    Both movies almost killed the franchise.

It sounds ironic given the boat loads of money they made but the dissatisfaction they provided for moviegoers and the reputational risk that each of this filthy films brought the series caused major damage.

MR is the reason subsequent Bond movies had less budgets. DAD was a fake and predictable noisefest. Robert Wade apologized to me (sorry I keep mentioning this) for DAD. Even though the director is the main blame, the writers played part too. The producers had to reboot the series because of it.
    Both movies almost killed the franchise.

Not a bit of it; both films made tons of cash!!!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Die Another Day is Brosnan's Over the top film. Each actor has had one for better or worse.

Connery's was YOLT/DAF. Both had very unrealistic plots.
    OHMSS is Over the top in all the right places. Great locations, unique plot and fun all around.
    Moore's was Moonraker. Crazy plot and space. Nuff said. still enjoyable flick though.
    Dalton's was Licence to Kill. It's very over the top but in good ways. It upped the violence and the villains are fun and sinister.
    Craigs is Skyfall. Silva, crazy plot. nuff said.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Moonraker is easily superior...but both are pretty dumb nonsensical films.

At least Moonraker is well made.

For me I can't decide whether to put DAF or DAD at the very bottom. Both have pretty laughable special effects.
    Is MR well directed? Yes
    Does MR have great cinematography? Yes
    Does MR have the most amazing sets by Ken Adam? Yes
    Does MR have a simply gorgeous John Barry soundtrack? Yes
    Does MR have brilliant special effects, which earned Derek Meddings a well deserved Oscar nom? Yes

Does DAD have any of the above? NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Lemme do the math:

Looks like someone needs to go back to math class! ;) :P
    Is MR well directed? Yes
    Does MR have brilliant special effects, which earned Derek Meddings a well deserved Oscar nom? Yes

chrisisall wrote:
    Lemme do the math:

I cannot do but agree with you Willy, well formulated.

Is MR well directed? Yes

chrisisall wrote:

But DAD has Halle Berry, Madonna an invisable car and Mr Kil ;)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Is MR well directed? Yes

chrisisall wrote:
    Lemme do the math:

This.

Both come in at the bottom of my ranking, but DAD is miles away from Moonraker.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Let's see:

MR: great score - DAD: noise, chaos, backwards recording, ... in a word: rubbish
    MR: great Shirley Bassey song - DAD: something squeezed out of a computer and voiced by an over-arrogant Madonna
    MR: Roger Moore in one of his best performances - DAD: a tired Brosnan
    MR: practical effects, worthy of Academy Awards - DAD: CGI crap
    MR: lovely Lois Chiles - DAD: Halle "yo momma" Berry
    MR: charismatic Michael Lonsdale - DAD: RoboToby

Worst joke in MR: double pigeon take - Worst joke in DAD: Madonna's "cameo"

IMO, MR holds up pretty well. Even Jaws is vastly more enjoyable than Mr. Kil ("Now there's a name to die for.") People may take a dump on MR all they want, I can still enjoy the power of Ken Adam and John Barry, the magnificent contributions of Derek Meddings, John Richardson and many more, the breathtaking stunt work, ... What does DAD offer? Rosamund Pike. I suppose that counts for something.
    Yep. Can't argue there DD (although I'm not all that big a fan of Chiles* she's still better than Halle).

Also I think MR is one of Moore's weakest performances (I wish someone would wipe that bloody smirk off his face sometimes - annoying, ageing poser).

* she's like a yummy mummy trying to impress the kids by acting tough.
    Murdock wrote:
    Die Another Day is Brosnan's Over the top film. Each actor has had one for better or worse.

Connery's was YOLT/DAF. Both had very unrealistic plots.
    OHMSS is Over the top in all the right places. Great locations, unique plot and fun all around.
    Moore's was Moonraker. Crazy plot and space. Nuff said. still enjoyable flick though.
    Dalton's was Licence to Kill. It's very over the top but in good ways. It upped the violence and the villains are fun and sinister.
    Craigs is Skyfall. Silva, crazy plot. nuff said.

Oh dear god. I have heard it all now.

Dalton, Laz and Craig did not have OTT plots.

With DAD it went stratospheric and the franchise had to be rebooted. Even MR didn't quite trip it up after every scene like DAD did

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Hogwash. DAD is not fit to clean Moonraker's shoes.

MR had a superb soundtrack (one of Barry's best), well shot locations and stunts and only let's itself down in the final third.
    DAD, on the other hand, let's itself down from the moment Madonna starts violating my eardrums.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Moonraker wouldn't have been bad a film if they stayed on Earth.

Die Another Day started off fine, but when down the toilet when Madonna started singing.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I think Brosnan is a better James Bond than Moore (although Moore was great too). I also think Die Another Day has better action scenes and is better paced.

Other than that, MR beats it in pretty much every department. I do think it's a fair comparison though, both are the actors fourth films, both start well but really fall apart towards the end, both are very OTT with some real cringe worthy moments and both were followed by grittier, more down to earth films.

I also think they're similar because in both films, there's a really good Bond movie buried underneath all the shit. DAD has some great action scenes, a really good premise (Bond getting captured), some great lines and it's really well paced. MR has some fantastic scenes, great cinematography, great set design and one of the best scores of the series.

I think in both cases, it's not really that the bad outweighs the good, it's just that the bad stuff is so bad that the rest of the film really suffers for it.
    Kerim wrote:
    Moonraker wouldn't have been bad a film if they stayed on Earth.

I'd argue it'd still be pretty bad. A lot of the cringe worthy stuff in the film takes place on earth. Bondola (with double taking pigeon), most of the stuff with Jaws, Dolly turning up, etc. There's a lot that needs fixing with MR.
    In some ways i would argue that,apart from the first 3rd of the film,that the sequences in space are all serious,as is the score that John Barry composed for it,especially the space battle.

But no,007 should not be in space....
    I suppose Drax's speech has a pretty sinister tone to it. Nonetheless I can't take those astronauts seriously with their silly helmets and yellow spacesuits.
    Is MR well directed? Yes
    All true.
    DAD may be really over the top in way too many aspects, but I'm always gonna like a movie that makes me wince here & there better than one that makes me shut it off.
    :))
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I suppose Drax's speech has a pretty sinister tone to it. Nonetheless I can't take those astronauts seriously with their silly helmets and yellow spacesuits.

Well it WAS 1979 dont forget...we found that trendy in those days ;)

barryt007 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

In the 70s you also found Britt Eckland hilarious comic relief and Jimmy Savile a top entertainer for all the family. All I can say is thank bloody god I wasn't around then ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

In the 70s you also found Britt Eckland hilarious comic relief and Jimmy Savile a top entertainer for all the family. All I can say is thank bloody god I wasn't around then ;)

My sister and I even applied to go on Saville's 'Jim'll fix it' show.....frick me talk about dodging a bullet...
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 2,341
    MR does not look cheap. The money is on the screen. Unlike DAF that just has a cheap and all around shit look to it. MR also has that great PTS, good title song, and those lovely Binder titles.

DAD has those horrible looking scenes with that damned Madonna song launching a frontal assault on our auditory sensors.

Despite these few highs, I still find MR the most detestible film in the series. DAD is so bad that I find it hard to choose it over MR and vice versa. I also hate DAF.
    I just cannot think of enough bad things to say about MR, a particular foul entry in the Bond canon. DAD is just offensive and it is the type of movie nobody wanted.

I might watch the first act of DAD but seeing Pierce Brosnans puss all over it ruins it for me.
    Why is Moonraker more foul to you than DAD?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Why is Moonraker more foul to you than DAD?

Lois Chiles
    Slapstick
    Drax is so boring
    Jaws ' Herman Munster imitation
    Dolly
    Stupid Gadgets

Maybe MR does not try to take itself too seriously and that should raise it in my opinion. DAD is so stupid, silly, ridiculous and the kicker : Everyone is taking this horseshit serious!

MR knows it's a crock and does not try to be anything else.

Aside from the great PTS that I enjoy watching and Moore in the Centerfridge(sp) and the good locations, the silliness of the above just really turns me off. Just when the film starts to show promise (The action of the PTS, Chang, the centerfrudge scene), the film manages to step on it's own dick with some OTT comedy.
    The silliness does go too far in MR. Moore annoys me too actually, but I do think those positives you mention redeem the film a bit. Moonraker looks like a competently made film. That's what stops it from being on the same level as DAD or DAF.
    This is nonsense. DAF is way better than either MR or DAD. This is an absolute FACT (IMHO)!