Unfinished Fleming Bond Stories

BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
edited April 2014 in Literary 007 Posts: 29,587
I'd be surprised if these bits have never surfaced on these boards before, but I searched and could find no pertinent thread.
This information has been published in various places over the years, but this site consolidates several ideas, paragraphs and some dialogue from Fleming's writings that were to possibly be used as the basis for future Bond novels or short stories, from his scrapbook. It was very exciting when I first stumbled across this stuff several years ago. Quite enjoyable and tantalizing tidbits. I wouldn't mind seeing some of this stuff (as limited as it may be) worked into future films. Just follow the link below.

http://jamesbond.ajb007.co.uk/scrapbook/

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Interesting.
    A tragedy he did not finish them. They seemed to be heading to greatness in their own right and of course they would have made for valuable film material. Zographos and Szasz are great names for villains, and the masquerade ball (without the clowns as it was used in OP) would make for a stunning setting.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I also wrote a paper on this subject at The Bondologist Blog here:

http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/ian-flemings-second-uncompleted-short.html
    I need to add this to the Bond 24 wish list: a masquerade ball.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Paradox Hotel
    Dragonpol wrote:

http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/ian-flemings-second-uncompleted-short.html

I have read it before, and very interesting as always.
    Dragonpol wrote:

I have read it before, and very interesting as always.

Thank you - it's a fascinating subject for the Bond fan.
    I like the sound of:

“Bond, as a double agent, has to shoot his own assistant in order to keep his cover…”

It's the sort of thing we've seen frequently with Jack Bauer but not with Bond - collateral damage. Can easily seen the literary Bond do this but not sure if they would push the film Bond this way.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Not exactly his own assistant, but what about the member of Special Branch in QoS?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 It was this or the priesthood.
    Not exactly his own assistant, but what about the member of Special Branch in QoS?

Bond didn't shoot him, Greene's man did... :-/
    Interesting stuff.
    I'd also like to know more about Fleming's involvement with; "The Man From Uncle".
    It's covered briefly in Andrew Lycett's Fleming biography but, like all things interesting, it was only briefly mentioned were as the boring went on forever.
    Evidently Fleming was commissioned by a US production company to create a new 'Bond' for them with a terrorist organisation as a nemesis as opposed to a country. Ian did some work and called the project SOLO. Hence Napoleon's family name.
    Perhaps there is more to Fleming's work than we know?
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Fleming's involvement with Uncle is well covered in extras on Complete Man From Uncle TV series dvd collection, which I have thoroughly digested.
    Here's the bit from my own post, on Page One of this sites Man From Uncle Thread.

The Season One extras disc devotes some quality time discussing how Ian Fleming and Bond were the impetus for the series. Uncle is truly a child of Bond. When Robert Vaughn first read the Uncle pilot script, he remarked it was "Bond on TV."
    Producer Norman Felton says that the success of DN on screen is what prompted him to approach Fleming to help create a Bond-like TV show. Felton describes his initial meetings with Fleming. The two met in New York City, but because of Fleming's recent heart problems, Fleming insisted they walk and talk, as he needed the heart exercise. Felton recalls that Fleming spent much of their time together recounting his own intelligence exploits and really didn't offer up much in the way of developing a new series. It was Felton and Sam Rolfe who ultimately created the series, but Fleming did offer up the name Solo. Meanwhile, as Felton explains, when Eon caught wind of the project, they dissuaded Fleming from continuing, prefering he concentrate on Bond. Eon was also concerned that use of the character Solo would conflict with the upcoming GF, which of course included a Solo character. The compromise that was reached was that the name Solo would not be included in the title of the series, hence the dropping of the Pilot title "Solo" in favour of the iconic title that followed. Good move.

The Man From Uncle TV series was launched fall of 1964, shortly before the release of GF in cinema.
    It seems Fleming inspired the creation of the series, but it was Uncle Producers who ultimately conceived and designed the show. But Uncle is clearly a child of Bond, as was the rejigged Avengers TV series, which swtiched to a spyfy bent in response to Bond.
    From Wiki
    Though executive producer Norman Felton and consultant Ian Fleming had conceived the character of Napoleon Solo, it was producer Sam Rolfe that created the U.N.C.L.E. hierarchy. Unlike nationalistic organizations like the CIA and James Bond's MI6, U.N.C.L.E. was a global organization of agents from many countries and cultures. The character of Illya Kuryakin was created by Rolfe as just such an U.N.C.L.E. agent, one from the Soviet Union.
    Also from Wiki
    the show was originally titled Ian Fleming's Solo and later just Solo. However, in February 1964 a law firm representing James Bond movie producers Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli sent a cease-and-desist letter demanding an immediate end to the use of Fleming’s name in connection with the planned Solo series, and an end to all use of the name and character "Solo", "Napoleon Solo" and "Mr. Solo". At that time filming was underway for the Bond movie Goldfinger, where Martin Benson was playing a supporting character named "Mr. Solo". The claim was the name "Solo" had already been sold to them by Fleming, and Fleming could not again use it. Within five days Fleming had signed an affidavit that nothing in the Solo pilot infringed on any of his Bond characters, but the threat of continued legal action resulted in a settlement where the character name of Napoleon Solo could be kept, but the title of the show had to change.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Eh, close enough.

Eh, close enough.

Quite a sizable difference actually; astronomical, even. Someone needs to brush up on the film's many details before referencing them in discussions, methinks. ;)
    When I've got more time on my hands.
    When I've got more time on my hands.

Only joking, of course. For the most part... :)>-
    I was reading this the other day: http://for-your-eyes-only.com/Site/UNCLE_history.html

Apparently during the sightseeing visit he wrote a dozen or so plot lines but ultimately sold all rights to Felton for £1.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 802
    timmer wrote:
    Fleming's involvement with Uncle is well covered in extras on Complete Man From Uncle TV series dvd collection, which I have thoroughly digested.
    Here's the bit from my own post, on Page One of this sites Man From Uncle Thread.

Very interesting and informative @ timer.
    I'm looking forward to this new 'Uncle' movie. I was a huge fan of the TV series back in the day.
    Villiers53 wrote:
    Interesting stuff.
    I'd also like to know more about Fleming's involvement with; "The Man From Uncle".
    It's covered briefly in Andrew Lycett's Fleming biography but, like all things interesting, it was only briefly mentioned were as the boring went on forever.
    Evidently Fleming was commissioned by a US production company to create a new 'Bond' for them with a terrorist organisation as a nemesis as opposed to a country. Ian did some work and called the project SOLO. Hence Napoleon's family name.
    Perhaps there is more to Fleming's work than we know?

Oh, that's an interesting detail indeed.
    Zographos isn t all off page. He is mentioned in CR.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 29,587
    That is off-page. It means we never actually deal with him as a present character. He exists out of the narrative action; off-page.
    I see. Interesting that he toyed with the idea of exploring this character further.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    There's an article appearing on ianfleming.com soon about Fleming's involvement with The Man From UNCLE....
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I need to add this to the Bond 24 wish list: a masquerade ball.

Masquerade balls always work.

• KyruKyru UK
    Does anyone have a mirror for the links? They are all dead now and I've been trying to find as much about the unfinished/unreleased Fleming Bond stories as possible.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 13,393
    Kyru wrote: »
    Does anyone have a mirror for the links? They are all dead now and I've been trying to find as much about the unfinished/unreleased Fleming Bond stories as possible.

My article link still works (complete with excerpts from the two unfinished Fleming Bond short stories):

I've been meaning to write a follow-up article on the James Bond novels that Ian Fleming sadly never lived to write.

Not sure what happened to the other two links above though.
  • KyruKyru UK
    Dragonpol wrote: »

My article link still works (complete with excerpts from the two unfinished Fleming Bond short stories):

I've been meaning to write a follow-up article on the James Bond novels that Ian Fleming sadly never lived to write.

Not sure what happened to the other two links above though.

Thanks, excellent article and very informative. Do you happen to know if anything else is out there floating on the internet? I'm very curious about his TV script ideas (Murder on Wheels and the stuff being used in Horowitz' novels)
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 29,587
    I just received the special Waterstone edition of Horowitz's latest Bond novel, FOREVER AND A DAY, and in the back it contains Fleming's page and a half outline for the episode entitled RUSSIAN ROULETTE (I guess that's now fodder for a film title). Of course I'm ecstatic to get ahold of any unseen Fleming Bond, but I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get a full eight page script like the one included with the Waterhouse edition of TRIGGER MORTIS (episode: MURDER ON WHEELS).

Still three unpublished episode synopsis sitting in the vaults.
    Do the others have known titles?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 13,393
    Do the others have known titles?

No, it seems they're being held back, presumably to be used in future Horowitz Bond novels. It all depends on the sales of Forever and A Day I suppose. In fact, these five TV treatments weren't even known to exist in the Bond fan community until Trigger Mortis was announced in October 2014. It all makes you wonder what else may lie hidden in the vaults at IFP...