It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    A. I loathe the retcon in SP. I'd like that movie more if it didn't try to tie everything together. Luckily, I'm able to watch CR and QOS without the thought of Bloberhauser's daddy issues.

B. I'd rather they take out Quantum prematurely at the end of QOS than totally retcon them in SP. I didn't even wanna see SPECTRE return to be honest.

B. I don't think it would've necessarily been better. Just a cool way to end the movie with Bond killing Mr. White and the shot segueing into the gunbarrel sequence like it did in CR. It ends the way it began and we go back to completely standalone films. And I NEVER bought the fact that Mr. White would grow a conscious.
    I respect your opinion though.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I like the QoS ending like it is (and they cut out the original one). The Mr. White scene in SP is one of the few scenes I truly like in SP and I like the idea of Bond falling for his daughter and vice versa ... OHMSS reference intended and welcome.

IMHO, SP should have shown/told us where Quantum ended and SPECTRE began. Maybe Quantum should‘ve been one party at that meeting in Rome (liked that in SP) next to other organizations and they as a whole formed SPECTRE, controlled by #1 in the shadow. This would in a way resemble what we saw in TB - subdivisions somewhat operating on their own but controlled by the „master organization“. It would have explained Quantum and still brought SPECTRE on the table.

From there on it would have made more sense what happened to Mr. White. And to me all of this including his daughter etc. would make more sense for the viewer.

Of course the whole last third of SP would still need a total rewrite ... but that‘s something different ... don‘t get me started on the MI6 maze or basically everything past the desert train station ...
  • You need to consider the fact that nobody expected Bond to be delayed for four years before what turned out to be the overrated SF which had nothing to do with QoS.

We were owed a film in between which would give some better closure to the events of QoS although there's still a chance to help do that with Bond 25.

Even websites like What Culture wanted to see Quantum and other aspects return from the film.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    In some ways I like that Quantum was not part of SF and that we had a stand alone adventure. Then SP comes along and in a ham handed way shoe horns in QOS. I would have liked it better for them to end the Quantum story on it's own. Though I would love to know why did they call themselves Quantum? I don't think it stands for anything and it sure doesn't strike fear into people's hearts.

To me I would have preferred if they kept Spectre for a new Bond. It would have been a better way to introduce a new Bond. They could do a TB, OHMSS, and YOLT type trilogy with Spectre and Blofeld.

Sadly they have now squandered that opportunity.

As for Quantum it's grown on me over the years. I must admit the ending of the necklace falling into the snow with the "I never left" gives me goosebumps. In fact all of the DC endings have been rather good.
    SF and SP are both ham fisted messes IMO.

What happened to the potential of CR and QOS?
    Getafix wrote: »

Mendes came along................
    Yep.

Craig's mate. Bad move
    I've come to enjoy SF but it really killed the momentum of Craig's first two IMO. Apart from the cinematography, it was a step backwards.
    I think many will agree that if we would have had a third movie as energetic as CR/QoS were for some sort of conclusion of the story arc then SF would have been the *perfect* ending for Craig‘s tenure. The „with pleasure M, with pleasure“ was terrific 😊 I like SF, but for one it‘s motives are not well chosen for a Goldfinger-like standalone adventure and there is definitely something missing before that one. A film like B25 seems (!!!) to become would have needed to end the general story arc and then close this tenure with a big bang (and like it or not, SF was exactly that).
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    I think many will agree that if we would have had a third movie as energetic as CR/QoS were for some sort of conclusion of the story arc then SF would have been the *perfect* ending for Craig‘s tenure. The „with pleasure M, with pleasure“ was terrific 😊 I like SF, but for one it‘s motives are not well chosen for a Goldfinger-like standalone adventure and there is definitely something missing before that one. A film like B25 seems (!!!) to become would have needed to end the general story arc and then close this tenure with a big bang (and like it or not, SF was exactly that).

My thoughts exactly @SeanCraig
  • Isn't Bond 25 going to continue into the story arch of CR?
    Isn't Bond 25 going to continue into the story arch of CR?

So did SP.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Remington wrote: »
    Do you think the original ending with Mr. White should've been used? I do.

At the time, especially around SF, I did. But not anymore, since it gives Mr. White some more relevancy in SP and coming up in Bond 25.

It's too bad that the original ending hasn't been included as a bonus feature at least. It would be enough to encourage audiences to buy the DVD if this scene included a retrospective interview with Marc Forster or Daniel Craig for commentary.

Then again, at least the scene addressed the issue of Guy Haines which Bond 25 has an opportunity to do if it takes advantage of it.

Honestly, I hated how they used Mr. White in SP.

Me too @Remington ... Two great actors/characters growling and shouting at each other (but somehow making it feel like it's in slo-mo)
    peter wrote: »
    Do you think the original ending with Mr. White should've been used? I do.

At the time, especially around SF, I did. But not anymore, since it gives Mr. White some more relevancy in SP and coming up in Bond 25.

It's too bad that the original ending hasn't been included as a bonus feature at least. It would be enough to encourage audiences to buy the DVD if this scene included a retrospective interview with Marc Forster or Daniel Craig for commentary.

Then again, at least the scene addressed the issue of Guy Haines which Bond 25 has an opportunity to do if it takes advantage of it.

Honestly, I hated how they used Mr. White in SP.

Me too @Remington ... Two great actors/characters growling and shouting at each other (but somehow making it feel like it's in slo-mo)

Lol that about sums it up.
    Amidst the composer conversation for Bond 25, I was bumming around YouTube appreciating the QOS soundtrack, but then came across a Hans Zimmer piece from Inception called "Old Souls."

This song is clearly inspired by David Arnold's "Night at the Opera" track. Similar melody, instrumentation (use of drawn out melody over tremolos)...

So if David Arnold is good enough to borrow ideas from for Hans Zimmer, why isn't he good enough to bring back for B25?

It's kind of a funny thought considering that Thomas Newman borrowed the Hans Zimmer sound... Newman borrowed some Zimmer who borrowed some Arnold.
  • @JamesStock

Thomas Newman also borrowed directly from David Arnold in one of his Bond movies as well. Funny thing is that both Hans Zimmer and Thomas Newman both rely on simplistic percussions as opposed to the complex level of details and care that Arnold would give.
  • Hey everyone.....let's celebrate the fact that Jeffrey Wright and DC are reunited for the first time since QoS!!!!! They're filming scenes this week!
    Hey everyone.....let's celebrate the fact that Jeffrey Wright and DC are reunited for the first time since QoS!!!!! They're filming scenes this week!

+1
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 13,929
    Wright on, brother! \m/
    Hey everyone.....let's celebrate the fact that Jeffrey Wright and DC are reunited for the first time since QoS!!!!! They're filming scenes this week!
    +1
  • I want to see some peppers in one of the frames in a scene where Leiter is at, that would be funny....this is how the Bond movies could incorporate humor similar to Felix and Beam's chemistry, rather than the forced humor which was punchline style in many of the films.
  • Seeing Felix Leiter by Jeffrey Wright is always awesome, but for Bond, he represents a time when Vesper was still alive or a time when she had just passed.

Having seen him before settling down with Mr. White's daughter may have stirred up some of his melancholy which was visible in the very air of QoS. What do you all think?
    No offense, but this is something of a spoiler for those of us who are trying to stay spoiler-free for Bond 25. I'm sure you didn't mean to do so.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    No offense, but this is something of a spoiler for those of us who are trying to stay spoiler-free for Bond 25. I'm sure you didn't mean to do so.

It doesn't relate to the plot so I don't really see how it could be considered a spoiler.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Seeing Felix Leiter by Jeffrey Wright is always awesome, but for Bond, he represents a time when Vesper was still alive or a time when she had just passed.

Having seen him before settling down with Mr. White's daughter may have stirred up some of his melancholy which was visible in the very air of QoS. What do you all think?

I mean, they most likely did meet a few times after QoS. Bond says Felix is a friend of his in SPECTRE, so I assume they spent some time together.
  • SaintMark wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

Mendes came along................

Yup!
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 1,280
    High hopes for David Arnold who did his best job on the QoS score to return for Bond 25.

That song, The Dead Don't Care is a whole new Bond theme on its own.

Years after QoS, MI6 website did an article about Crawl End Crawl or Oil Fields, and in the following movie, his work was used....that's how good he did the job!
  • Has anyone ever had a "Camille Moment"? That's when you drop someone off at a depressing location and never see them again but you wonder if they are doing fine.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    For god sakes lets put this thread out of its misery.

This film had an appreciation thread already this just fan wankery.
  • PB has recently commented that the new Bond films are not his cup of tea but praised DC.

While every actor has their style of approach to the films, the ones that stand the test of time better are the dark ones with more realism and less reliance on things that easily can be used to parody the franchise.

It's not surprising that someone who didn't really have much involvement with the creative process as DC does and whose last film was just a s--- show called Die Another Day would make such a comment. You can tell PB misses the role and there is still some forgivable and understandable insecurity.

CR-QOS......true quality films of the franchise that shows when an actor and the production team work hard, good results come about.