It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    QoS deserves a good sequel. It's not like another George Lazenby issue has occurred again as in OHMSS-DAF-LALD being very unrelated films.

What I wouldn't give to have received another installment in 2010 with Forster directing once more.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I like QoS as much as the next fan. But, what more there is to tell?

He closed that case, encountered the people behind the conspiracy in the latest film, and is now moving forward.

He closed that case, encountered the people behind the conspiracy in the latest film, and is now moving forward.

I didn't notice the comment I replied to wanted a sequel - yeah, there's really no more story to tell past having Camille return in some format, which in itself isn't a sequel. But having Forster return to direct and having the same crew alongside him for another general installment would've been great.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I didn't notice the comment I replied to wanted a sequel - yeah, there's really no more story to tell past having Camille return in some format, which in itself isn't a sequel. But having Forster return to direct and having the same crew alongside him for another general installment would've been great.
    As long as they use more traditional camerawork to justify the intensity of the scenes, I'd welcome the same crew back as well as a Bond film in a very similar tone to QoS.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

As long as they use more traditional camerawork to justify the intensity of the scenes, I'd welcome the same crew back as well as a Bond film in a very similar tone to QoS.
    Same here. But two hours plus, please. The more Bond, the better.
    QBranch wrote: »

Personally, I'd rather they stick to just two hours. Not more. Don't want the film to drag like the other three did in their third acts.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 40,459
    QBranch wrote: »

Personally, I'd rather they stick to just two hours. Not more. Don't want the film to drag like the other three did in their third acts.

I think those were simply pacing issues. OHMSS stretches beyond two hours and doesn't feel that way at all. I think that might be yet another aspect of QoS I love - its shorter run time makes a rewatch that much more inviting.
    As Creasy said, duration shouldn't be an issue if the film is crafted well. I'm looking at you, Maj and CR.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Guy Haines. The Intel sweated from Yusef and the mission(s) it led to. The Canadienne. Felix Leiter, promoted and enabled. Greg Beam, fired and pissed off. Gemma, Mathis' suddenly single ladyfriend, likewise. Camille, maybe seeking the solace Bond found.
  • PEOPLE, please!

We have had to wait years and years between movies with one of the best actors to play Bond yet, Daniel Craig. People are not going to the movies as often these days for a variety of reasons including cost of tickets, bad scripts, and predictability in studio centered formulas, and also overuse of CGI...

A three hour Bond movie is the least we could get in return for having to wait so long for the producers and Daniel Craig to have enough confidence to go ahead and make the film. Having more time to develop characters and story is better than having a 2-hour movie every two years. If the series was working at the same pace as it was in the 80's and last half of the 90's, it wouldn't have survived much further than another movie past DAD.

Please...appreciate what we've got and let's do more with this asset.
    People are not going to the movies as often these days for a variety of reasons including cost of tickets, bad scripts, and predictability in studio centered formulas, and also overuse of CGI...

People are consistently lining up for superhero fare with constant records being shattered by them, so I'd say this is the polar opposite of reality, as unfortunate as that is. I'd say those of us that wholeheartedly seem to love QoS as much as we do are in a tiny minority.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    QoS deserves a good sequel. It's not like another George Lazenby issue has occurred again as in OHMSS-DAF-LALD being very unrelated films.

What I wouldn't give to have received another installment in 2010 with Forster directing once more.

While Forster is up for another sequel, he did say in an interview that he'd have made the next movie more traditional-esque...so the best we have now is Cary Fujinaka to keep originality and follow up upon the CR story arch which QoS also did as well.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    People are not going to the movies as often these days for a variety of reasons including cost of tickets, bad scripts, and predictability in studio centered formulas, and also overuse of CGI...

People are consistently lining up for superhero fare with constant records being shattered by them, so I'd say this is the polar opposite of reality, as unfortunate as that is. I'd say those of us that wholeheartedly seem to love QoS as much as we do are in a tiny minority.

While the Marvel universe has a loyal following, the higher prices of movie tickets really have driven up the sale figures of movie attendance. People who like character-driven dramas and dramedy films including some which were based on comic books such as the legendary movie Ghost World, have had to take a back seat for the last decade.

Even the comic book superhero movies are starting to have their characters die off, getting third reboots (i.e. Spiderman and Hulk), Suicide Squad getting rebooted too). As Steven Spielberg once said, these comic superhero movies will go the way of the Western and have already seen their zenith by now.

QoS fanbase had only grown since it was released...life exists beyond the release and its fanbase has grown unlike SF. Similar to that fresh feeling which the set designs and visuals provide in QoS....life exists beyond QoS when you see Jeffrey Wright's travel documentary about peppers and you connect that with his scene where he talks to Beam about drinking the water in Bolivia.
  • I like QoS as much as the next fan. But, what more there is to tell?
    Guy Haines. The Intel sweated from Yusef and the mission(s) it led to. The Canadienne. Felix Leiter, promoted and enabled. Greg Beam, fired and pissed off. Gemma, Mathis' suddenly single ladyfriend, likewise. Camille, maybe seeking the solace Bond found.

Thank you @RichardTheBruce

That's right.

While Forster is up for another sequel, he did say in an interview that he'd have made the next movie more traditional-esque...so the best we have now is Cary Fujinaka to keep originality and follow up upon the CR story arch which QoS also did as well.

I really do hate being a pessimist but a continuation of SP was the last thing I wanted. My interest in the series has never been so low, and I sincerely do loathe admitting that. I wish it wasn't the case, but who knows, maybe the film will shockingly surprise me with expectations so diminished.
    You do all realize Haines was arrested and all the Quantum tentacle was dismantled by now? Beam would hardly pose as a threat, even though he could be brought back but only in a small part. I can't see a slimebag coward like him being any sort of a problem for Bond, and many people at the CIA will have his head on a platter, so at best he'd be getting a burn notice and left somewhere to wither and die. Mathis' girlfriend? What about her? A simple civilian retconned as a master plotter of conspiracies? Come on. Yusef was nothing more than a means to an end. Some lackey who dragged women into a honeypot and didn't do much else. Corrine Veneau (if that was her name) was just a small-time officer guarding some information somewhere, much like Vesper. What importance would she have? Hell, after knowing she was played out, the service would part ways with her.

And for suggesting Bond to be a character-driven drama, you're in the wrong place. Even the Bond novels were escapist thrillers in their respective times, an era where hard-boiled investigators and assassins were the cool of the time, taking after several pulp characters. For wanting Bond to be like Shakespeare is nothing short of ridiculous. If you want "personal" stories, there are a lot of character dramas from books to films and beyond: Othello, Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet, Macbeth, need I go on?

Bond is an instrument to preventing worldwide chaos. He's not Batman. He's not some lord almighty looking over London. He's not the messiah or "the chosen one" sent to stop all the villains out there linked to his existence so he would do right by it. He's an intelligence agent and an enforcer of Her Majesty's Secret Service, an agent like any other who happens to be damn good at his job. That's James Bond.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 1,280
    @Creasy47

That's what happens when predictability and formula presents itself. Not since DAD did a film like SP which was trying to be a sort of TWINE remake try to force Craig into past Bonds' shoes. SF did the same thing, going so far to suddenly make his Bond all old that it started crediting him for stuff that Craig's Bond was here to move away from, not continue.

Craig's Bond is not some superhero like his past predecessors, and not since Connery was someone ambiguous with whether he really was a good guy or not just by "face value" of actions etc...

There's still a chance with Cary Fujinaka wanting to continue the CR story arch instead.

The only things I liked about SP were the cinematography in the dessert, and all the references to CR and QoS including having Mr. White come back.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I really do hate being a pessimist but a continuation of SP was the last thing I wanted. My interest in the series has never been so low, and I sincerely do loathe admitting that. I wish it wasn't the case, but who knows, maybe the film will shockingly surprise me with expectations so diminished.
    I trust that whatever we get, it will be be much fresher & more inventive than SPECTRE (and I actually still like SP a WHOLE lot, btw...).
    That'll be the crowning highlight going forward for me: no more Mendes-helmed installments.
    chrisisall wrote: »

I trust that whatever we get, it will be be much fresher & more inventive than SPECTRE (and I actually still like SP a WHOLE lot, btw...).
    I like SP a lot too. And despite its ties to SP, B25 will be a very different beast.
    I'm really at a disadvantage for discussion--I relish formula and call-backs alongside new content and directions. These are Bond films after all, I can't predetermine what can't be done.

Another one: Fields' sister out for revenge. Poppy. Elysian. Raspberry, even.
    David Arnold track on the score: "Killing Fields".

Played by the beautiful Hannah Arterton.
    AN68570593LONDON-ENGLAND---.png
    I'm really at a disadvantage for discussion--I relish formula and call-backs alongside new content and directions. These are Bond films after all, I can't predetermine what can't be done.
    Same. I like the various directions, but ultimately I want something with less personal connection to Bond.

Not sure if anyone read my comment on the last page (or perhaps it's been suggested already), but you could probably tie QOS to B25 without bringing back a previous character by having the actor currently tipped to play the B25 villain as Yusef's brother... Personally I don't care either way if QOS is referenced moving forward - just throwing thoughts out there is all.

Or maybe, they could bring back the old Italian woman on the stairs who dropped her crate of vegies. The major, albeit predictable plot twist being that some of them were bruised and had to be thrown out.
    Well she seemed more the despairing type--rather than vindictive.
    xh
    But her beautiful Italian daughter...
    A 3 hour Bond film, rather than a 2 hour film every 2 years ?

No way.
  • Quality Craig-style Bond movies that are longer but done with care, either way.

QoS came out only two years after CR but it was done with care and done well. In fact, the producer, Wilson, had already begun production on it as CR was in post-production, so that tells you something.
  • RC7RC7
    Quality Craig-style Bond movies that are longer but done with care, either way.

QoS came out only two years after CR but it was done with care and done well. In fact, the producer, Wilson, had already begun production on it as CR was in post-production, so that tells you something.

They wanted to strike while the iron was hot, which was understandable. It was rather tumultuous, in the vein of TND, but they made it their goal to capitalise on CR. Personally, I’d have waited another year for a better film, but there’s never any guarantee of that, so we are where we are.

I’m aware there are some who regard it as the best of the bunch, but when you look at the ‘big picture’, SF really had it’s work cut out after the relatively lacklustre response to QoS. QoS should’ve been the Dark Knight to CR’s Batman Begins, as it turned out SF ended up stepping up in that regard.
  • Problem is....SF was over-marketed and had NOTHING to do with CR....even the critics who favored the movie on websites like What Culture were listing Quantum organization as something they wanted back in Bond movies.

Notice throughout the series....the Bond movies that made the most money weren't always the best ones in terms of quality...OP made more money because of FYEO having been a decent Bond flick that Moore rarely had been given. Plus, the threat of NSNA was lingering, which made people think that OP would be the best film but instead it turned out to be more of a party bandwagon with more of the same that turned the series into what eventually culminated with DAD.
    SF,as with Connery’s 3rd film , was a welcome move away from Quantum,and gave CraigBond a stand alone film (as I will always see it).
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    SF,as with Connery’s 3rd film , was a welcome move away from Quantum,and gave CraigBond a stand alone film (as I will always see it).

Agreed. I don't even consider SP canon when I watch CR-SF.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited March 2019 Posts: 732
    I fhink I may not watch SP ever again. With some exceptional scenes excluded (PTS, Mr. White, all Q scenes, L‘Americain) I find it more and more terrible and to some degree it ruins CR-SF.

Looking at it now, it would have turned out so great if there was a connected film to QoS, hinting Quantum was taken over or evolved into a new organization (SPECTRE) ... and then SF exactly like it is. It would have been the perfect closing to Craig‘s tenure in absolute style: „With pleasure, M. With pleasure.“. Well - we‘ll see what B25 will bring us.