7. Main Bond Girl - 8
    8. Bond - 8
    9. Sets - 9
    10. Music - 6
    11. Cinematography - 8
    12. Fleming - 10
    13. Supporting Cast - 4
    14. Main Titles - 2
    15. Plausibility - 4 (by Bond standards)
    16. Pace - 2
    17. Editing - 1
    18. Tilt - 2

Overall - 103/150

Percentage - 68.7%

I was surprised at this score as Dr. No isn't really a favourable one for me. But, I suppose you can't really fault such a solid film, and it justs comes down to your personal opinion.

EDIT: I have re-reviewed Dr. No today to give a more accurate result, and there has been a slight change in the scores.
    00Beast wrote:
    Before I embark on the ranking process, could someone assist me in informing me of what a screenplay is? All the other categories I seem to have a good grip on.

Creasy outlined the difference between a screenplay and a script just a couple posts up.

Thank you @Soundofthesinners and Crease!

@royale65: I think this is going to be a ton of fun! Thanks for putting it together; I'm very much in favor of ranking, as it is quite entertaining for me, so I'm looking forward to this thread greatly!

Without further delay, here's my rankings for Dr. No:

1. Direction: 9- Terrence Young worked his magic!
    2. Script: 9- the dialogue is awesome, especially in such scenes like Bond's dinner with Dr. No, Bond's interrogation of Professor Dent, Bond's briefing with M, and the meeting at Pussfeller's bar
    3. Screenplay: 9- goes hand in hand with the script, from what I can tell
    4. Plot: 10- the story is plain and simple- Bond searches for a missing agent and stumbles upon a massive plot aimed at destroying the USA space program- easy to follow and quite entertaining!
    5. Action: 3- Yikes....compared to what follows it in the years to come, DN is a snooze fest on action; the only really thrilling scenes we have are the car chase (ruined by back projection), the Dragon Tank shoot-out, and Bond's battle with Dr. No (entirely too brief)
    6. Main Villain : 10- There's no arguing this one! Wiseman introduced the quintessential Bond villain for the series opener, and one by which all others are judged, frankly!
    7. Main Bond Girl: 6- pretty to look at? Yes! Contribution to the movie? Hardly, except for the famed bikini rise from the ocean. That drags her down a few points for me.
    8. James Bond: 10- Connery doesn't take any time getting comfortable in the role- he just jumps in and takes it! I love the brutality and rigid dedication Connery gives 007 in DN, especially scenes such as the killing of Dent and his search for Honey during the climax
    9. Sets : 5- other than Dr. No's underwater facility, which is sensational, there's little to be desired.
    10. Music: 1- my goodness, the soundtrack is awful. Whenever I watch DN, I have the urge to mute the television and keep it muted until the movie's conclusion, even at the expense of the terrific dialogue, if that tells you anything!
    11. Cinematography: 4- Jamaica's fine and dandy in some shots, but most of it is fairly drab, unfortunately. Only in the Crab Key scenes is it truly worth much.
    12. Fleming: I'm not very familiar with Ian Fleming's Bond novels, having only fully read Moonraker and portions of Goldfinger, so I'll leave this category blank, since I don't have the expert opinion, hahaha.
    13. Supporting Cast: 4- not bad for the debut! We get some mighty fine characters to complement the main three, such as Professor Dent (one of my favorite henchmen), Quarrel (one of my favorite allies), Miss Taro, Jack Lord's incarnation of Felix Leiter (a real treat!), and, of course, M and Moneypenny in all their glory.
    14. Main Titles: 2- Although I usually skip over these in every Bond movie, I have watched them at least enough to know that DN's are pitiful, and horribly yawn-inducing.
    15. Plausibility: 4- I'm not an expert on rocketry or the capabilities of an underwater lair, but everything else seems to be perfectly plausible to me. It's certainly a far cry from the likes of DAF, MR, DAD, etc!
    16. Pace: 2- dreadful in the first half, but a lot more thrilling in the second half
    17. Editing: 2- @StirredNotShaken was right when he said that the back projection and jump cuts take this category down a few notches; however, I'll recognize its merits in such scenes like the fight between 007 and Dr. No- at least we can tell what's going on, unlike any action sequence in QoS, hahaha.
    18. Tilt: 2- DN is not entirely too near and dear to my heart, though I did have a nice liking for it upon first viewing and some of the viewings shortly thereafter. I'll give it a somewhat medium tilt for at least that remembrance.

Overall Score: 92/140
    Percentage: 0.657 = 66%
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 4,421
    Thanks peeps, loving your reasons to giving each category the ratings you did :-)

@MayDayDiVicenzo - the final six categories are out of 5, not 10. :-)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    royale65 wrote:
    Thanks peeps, loving your reasons to giving each category the ratings you did :-)

@MayDayDiVicenzo - the final six categories are out of 5, not 10. :-)

Ah, my mistake. I thought it was too high for Dr. No!
    No problem @Mayday. Thanks for going back and changing it :-)
    edited December 2013 Posts: 4,421
    Only a few days to go to get your votes in folks!

@Soundofthesinners @0013 - remember the final six categories are out of five, so you'll have to amend them. ;-)

• edited January 2014 Posts: 1,817
    Dr No
    1. Direction - 9
    2. Screenplay - 9
    3. Script - 8
    4. Plot - 8
    5. Action - 7
    6. Main Villain - 9
    7. Main Bond Girl - 8
    8. Bond - 9
    9. Sets - 8
    10. Music - 3
    11. Cinematography - 6
    12. Fleming - 9

13. Supporting Cast - 4
    14. Main Titles - 3
    15. Plausibility - 4
    16. Pace - 3
    17. Editing - 4
    18. Tilt - 3

Overall - 114/150

Percentage - 76.0%
    Ok, here is our overall ratings/percentages for Dr No -

75.4%

So, there it is. A few questions -

What do you think?

Is it higher/lower than your own ratings?

What is your favourite category/element/thing in Dr No?

What surprised you the most, while reading other peoples ratings?
    My favourite category would be the supporting cast and villain. They really made some inspired choices in actors for this film, most of all Joseph Wiseman.

I think this is a bit low for Dr. No. I'd gladly give it an 85 - 90% (and true to that, my score was 84 on the dot). I think it got the series off to a fantastic start and was a major stepping stone to the series' success. It's great nostalgia 51 years on.

I think what surprised me the most was the high scores several gave to the editing/cinematography; that's where the film fails for me.
    Thanks @StirredNotShaken

I agree the rating is too low, but the community has spoken! (well six of us anyway... ;-)) Like you I'd have it at around 85-90%. Dr No is a great way to start the series, and full of iconic moments.

For me, what makes Dr No a success is Sean Connery and Terence Young.

Regarding your comments about the editing, Peter Hunt and Young revolutionised the way films were edited, hence my high marks.

Other than that, I can't find fault with the users ratings.

royale65 wrote:
    Thanks @StirredNotShaken

I agree the rating is too low, but the community has spoken! (well six of us anyway... ;-)) Like you I'd have it at around 85-90%. Dr No is a great way to start the series, and full of iconic moments.

For me, what makes Dr No a success is Sean Connery and Terence Young.

Regarding your comments about the editing, Peter Hunt and Young revolutionised the way films were edited, hence my high marks.

Other than that, I can't find fault with the users ratings.

That they did, but this was a rather poor start in my opinion. FRWL takes leaps in the measure of light years forward with its' editing/cinematography work.
    @royale65: I don't want this thread to get lost in the shuffle of the "more popular" threads- can we keep this one going? I still think it's a great idea with lots of fun potential!
    Don't worry. Come the new year, I'll get this one back up on it's feet. :-)

In the mean time, what did you think of Dr No's rating? ;-)
  • Well, mine was a fair amount higher, but that could be chalked up to over-enthusiasm on my part or warming up on the part of the others. I'd need to see what other movies got to get a true understanding of how Dr. No fits in.
    That is true. I feel 75.4% is low, however, for a classic such as Dr No.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Great thread, @royale65! :-)

1. Direction - 9
    2. Screenplay - 7
    3. Script - 7
    4. Plot - 6
    5. Action - 6
    6. Main Villain - 10
    7. Main Bond Girl - 9
    8. Bond - 9
    9. Sets - 8
    10. Music - 5
    11. Cinematography - 7
    12. Fleming - 9

13. Supporting Cast - 4
    14. Main Titles - 3
    15. Plausibility - 4
    16. Pace - 5
    17. Editing - 5
    18. Tilt - 5 Because I'm absolutely fond of this film!

Overall: 118/150

Percentage: 79 %
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited December 2013 Posts: 2,044
    Let me high up the ante:

Dr. No:

1. Direction - 10
    2. Screenplay - 9
    3. Script - 9
    4. Plot - 9
    5. Action - 7
    6. Main Villain - 10
    7. Main Bond Girl - 9
    8. Bond - 10
    9. Sets - 9
    10. Music - 1
    11. Cinematography - 8
    12. Fleming - 9

13. Supporting Cast - 5
    14. Main Titles - 3
    15. Plausibility - 4
    16. Pace - 5
    17. Editing - 5
    18. Tilt - 5

127/180

I love Dr. No, the series couldn't have started better!
    Ah, some late arrivals hey? Good show. Perhaps the ratings for Dr No will go up... ;-)

Thanks @DarthDimi, and @MrBond, if you could change your final six scores, that'd be nifty, like Dimi has done; the final six categories are all out of 5, not 10.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    royale65 wrote:
    Ah, some late arrivals hey? Good show. Perhaps the ratings for Dr No will go up... ;-)

Thanks @DarthDimi, and @MrBond, if you could change your final six scores, that'd be nifty, like Dimi has done; the final six categories are all out of 5, not 10.

Ah, well certainly. I will fix that!
    Thanks @MrBond
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    royale65 wrote:
    Thanks @MrBond

I've noticed @0013 has done the same mistake.
    Yes. I've just approximated his results for the group % ratings....
    @royale65, will the various percentages be averaged and listed up somewhere, so we can basically keep track of the overall best scoring film? ;-) Could be fun!
    yes, could do. We rated Dr No, without yours and Mr Bond's rating of course, as 75.4%. With time, we should have a "complete"/"ultimate" guide to the Bond universe!

Any suggestions, Darth? Coming from a purely scientific background such as your self, I mean... ;-)
    Uh... :-B

Perhaps the opening post of this thread can keep track of the averages? ;-)
  • The originals thread keeps a running tally of where each film lands after each evaluation or reevaluation. A lot of it is copying and pasting, of course, but it's a good way to keep track of things.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I think this is a rather good thread @royale65. The rating comes from "true" Bond fans who know every film well and who have watched them numerous times. Its great to see how the Bond films fair against eachother!

Also, will this ranking include NSNA and CR57?
    Why, thanks guys. :-)

Yes, I'm going to pinch that idea from the originals, and Dimi's idea of course.

@MayDayDiVicenzo - I don't think so. One, I have not seen either NSNA, CR 67 or CR 54 in donkeys years, and two I don't want to exclude anyone participating, like the "Fleming Rating", as I'm aware that some people have not read the books, and I don't this thread to be exclusive.

I'm going to hold off posting the results for Dr No until the new year, just in case other people are going to participate.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 1,817
    MrBond wrote:
    royale65 wrote:
    Thanks @MrBond

I didn't noticed that the last categories were rated out of 5. I did it out of 10 but I divided the total between 180 so there's no problem at all. It seems more elegant to me if the range were the same for all.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    0013 wrote:
    MrBond wrote:
    royale65 wrote:
    Thanks @MrBond

I didn't noticed that the last categories were rated out of 5. I did it out of 10 but I divided the total between 180 so there's no problem at all. It seems more elegant to me if the range were the same for all.

Yes, well i thought so too to be honest.