SOLO by William Boyd - Reviews & Feedback

1131415161719»

Comments

• edited December 2014 Posts: 2,531
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    As this thread has evolved, I have the feeling that Solo and perhaps the other celebrity author offerings may have been better received by lovers of the movies and casual/infrequent readers than by habitual thriller readers?
    If Solo lovers would like to comment it would be very interesting.
    Maybe I'm just not the audience?

I much prefer the Bond books to the films and enjoy reading thrillers in general. In terms of SOLO, I just think it has some fun Bondian segments but the book as a whole, is lacklustre, with no real plot. Obviously I could never say that I am a SOLO lover so maybe I shouldn't have even made this post. :)

My parents are regular thriller readers like me and they didn't think SOLO was bad but they far from raved about it either, not unlike me. It just has some enjoyable, interesting extracts but overall isn't a good book.

• Bounine wrote: »
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    As this thread has evolved, I have the feeling that Solo and perhaps the other celebrity author offerings may have been better received by lovers of the movies and casual/infrequent readers than by habitual thriller readers?
    If Solo lovers would like to comment it would be very interesting.
    Maybe I'm just not the audience?

I much prefer the Bond books to the films and enjoy reading thrillers in general. In terms of SOLO, I just think it has some fun Bondian segments but the book as a whole, is lacklustre, with no real plot. Obviously I could never say that I am a SOLO lover so maybe I shouldn't have even made this post. :)

My parents are regular thriller readers like me and they didn't think SOLO was bad but they far from raved about it either, not unlike me. It just has some enjoyable, interesting extracts but overall isn't a good book.
    I can understand how people could say that they liked "segments".
    As an avid reader, the only reason I slogged my way through it was because I couldn't believe how bad it was - particularly coming from William Boyd.
    That said, if an occasional reader and lover of the movies picked it up and actually enjoyed it then I suppose that would be understandable. Given their lack of comparative.
    One go forward question could be substitute the names of Fleming's characters and leave everything else in place — how many would he have sold and how would it have been reviewed. Hypothetical but interesting?
    My view — not a lot and many critics would have said that Boyd had lost the plot!