The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,020
    Damn, I also posted a topic about the EuroJury......

Results so far:

h1LSjlz.png

Tomorrow more results in here:
    https://eurovoix.com/2017/04/16/eurojury-2017-results-iceland/

By the way, these were the EuroJury results from previous years :-):

2016:
    RLYt7os.png

2015:
    HFvDlKM.png

2014:
    azcdiYy.png
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They are pretty bad, but they are great fun and put you in a good mood, which is sometimes all it takes.
    The big four/five:
    The name already shows how wrong that whole concept is.

Nonetheless, let's have a look at 2010:

Lena with Satellite. There was probably never a more obvious winner than that in recent times. Maybe Loreen comes to mind as well. But let's stay with Lena.

Lena showed that it doesn't take a big light show, gadgets and perfect English to be a true winner. Lena won the hearts of millions, and politics was not on the mind of the viewers, not once did the audience choose a winner for political reasons. Remember, last year Russia clearly won the televote.

The voting result for Lena:
    Televote: 243 points (second place had 174 points) that's what I call a landslide.
    Jury vote: 187 points (second place had 185!!! points)

Let's have a look at Belgium that almost won the Jury vote, with only 2 points less than Lena.
    Tom Dice: Me and my Guitar, nothing against this little sweet song, but imagine THIS had won.

Tom was 14th in the televote by the way. So now imagine he'd won and how that would have looked to the audience.

2010 also saw huge differences in Jury and televoting in some cases that have almost grotesque proportions. A clear early sign of trouble that was ignored and in 2011 almost led to Italy's win over Azerbaijan, and shows very similar signs of system failure. Italy was 11th in televote and won the Jury vote in a landslide. After that the EBU should have realised this system will get them into big trouble sooner or later. Oh well...

Again, you don't go into the specifics. And you don't analize why this result happened. First of all, I think it's clear that Germany was the winner of 2010. Raising doubts about that, and that's what you are actually doing here, is ridiculous.

The reason Belgium didn't do so well eventually, has to do with the televote. If you can't win the televote in a much smaller semi-final, from a better running order (151 points: Greece - 149 points: Iceland - 146 points: Belgium), then that doesn't bode well for the eventual grand final. Especially if you draw a lot saying "starting slot #7". It simply isn't a very positive running order for the less critical televoter (as compared to juries).

I tried to make this clear to you on so many occasions, but you flat out ignore this fact. You make Eurovision look bad for all the wrong reasons I think, especially when you keep seeding doubts about the voting process. Televoters Judge differently than juries. They prefer the larger and happier stage outbursts over smaller songs. Basically you're saying now "If the result was 100% based on juries, then Belgium could have won".

So imagining how things would have been if Belgium would have won, is IMO rather pointless. There are good reasons, as you can now see with Belgium 2010, that there are juries. And vice versa.

Just....accept this fact a bit more, instead of seeding this constant negative doubt. You sound like a Russian or Ukrainian these days. @GBF .
  • GBFGBF
    I really dislike many of the Swedish songs... I don't know why but I just feel nothing when listening to them. This is especially the case with "popular" or "undo". I have never understood the hype... the latter is just a screamy mess and the former is just a cheap and arrogant Euro pop song.

Of course, "Euphoria" was great and "Heroes" had a creatiive staging. I even quite enjoyed the calm song last year by Frans which was actually the only ESC16 song that was played on the radio afterwards...
    First Eurovision I saw was 1974. All I remember is Waterloo winning.
    I love these guys...how dare you call them bad? This is pretty good. Idk if this type of music is your cup of tea but I really dig it personally. I found other songs from this band thanks to this song which I loved. We lack songs like this at Eurovision
    I too have checked out other songs by them. Like this one.
    Well, ok, since we're only posting videos as of late, let me start a post with high-quality, stylish Eurovision entries that are for once not ridiculous or dodgy or don't let Terry Wogan rise from his grave to utter another insult.... So again, warning for your eyes.....this might 'hurt' your eyes from....decency and style:

France 1981 (3rd out of 20 finalists; 125 POINTS):

Luxembourg 1983 (my favourite winner of the 1980's. 1st out of 20 finalists; 142 POINTS):

France 1991 (joint 1st out of 22 finalists; 146 points, but not procclaimed the winner):

The Netherlands 1993 (6th out of 25 finalists; 92 POINTS):

Norway 1995 (1st out of 23 finalists; 148 POINTS):

Norway 1995 (2nd out of 23 finalists; 114 POINTS):

United Kingdom 1997 (What an fff-ing good winner this was!):

Latvia 2000 (3rd out of 24 finalists; 136 POINTS):

France 2002 (4th out of 24 finalists; 104 POINTS):

Next post: 2003 until now lol :-P

• edited April 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Here are the results of the 2017 EuroVoix EuroJury :-)!
    WnJdhEK.png
    6btsruX.jpg

By the way, here you can rewatch the show:
    https://eurovoix.com/2017/04/22/eurojury-2017-the-results/
    https://www.eurojury.com/
    According to that chart Italy once more will be fucked over by juries this year while Sweden AGAIN wins? It would be so sad if it were not that laughable.

Interesting how the EBU now has accepted that this year's ESC will be a propaganda show by the Ukraine.
    Money is more important than reason, democracy, fairness and justice. The ESC has adapted to the EU it seems, and has no backbone left whatsoever.
    Even with the current voting system that is corrupt and wrong on all levels.

That is not the ESC I learned to love. I'm done with it until the EBU learns it, probably the hard way.

At least the music stays. Congratulations once more to all the participating countries who give their best every year to make it a wonderful experience to listen to the CD.

Dammit can you please STOP all your whining? This is a EuroJury poll, not the real contest. You have a new love partner no? Would be nice if some of that joy shows off in here. It's just fucking annoying to read all your ranting. Sorry! I think one of the reasons that it is so quiet in here lately, is probably because of your negativity.
    Anyway, I have something positive to post, UNLIKE @BondJasonBond006 !

This is the scoreboard design of the 2017 contest:
    PeWz6TP.jpg
  • GBFGBF
    @Gustav_Graves

do you have an own final ranking?

Mine would be:

01. Italy
    02. Macedonia
    03. Hungary
    04. Belgium
    05. Azerbaijan
    06. Czech Republic
    07. France
    08. Finnland
    09. Australia
    10. Portugal
    11. Belorussia
    12. Iceland
    13. United Kingdom
    14. Montenegro
    15. Bulgaria
    16. Austria
    17. Sweden
    18. Poland
    19. Ukraine
    20. Netherlands
    21. Norway
    22. Serbia
    23. Moldova
    24. Slovenia
    25. Malta
    26. Latvia
    27. Georgia
    28. Spain
    29. Lithuania
    30. Germany
    31. Albania
    32. Armenia
    33. Ireland
    34. Israel
    35. Cyprus
    36. Croatia
    37. Denmark
    38. Switzerland
    39. San Marino
    40. Greece
    41. Romania
    42. Estonia
    What do you like to have @GBF? A prediction? Or my personal favourites ;-)?
  • GBFGBF
    Personal favorites...
    GBF wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves

do you have an own final ranking?

Mine would be:

01. Italy
    02. Macedonia

Macedonian here, and it's weird to see us being really liked in something :D

I personally think our song is just alright and I don't think it's fun or a song that you'll have stuck in your head..
    We never had a fun upbeat song at the Eurovision :/
    I'm just glad to see us back in the finals

btw I was just thinking about our Eurovision songs and I think this is our best for my taste

GBF wrote: »
    Personal favorites...

Is it okay I first post my final predictions before the rehearsals start this Sunday ;-)? I will put some changes in my prediction during the rehearsals.

As my lists are in Dutch a short legend is necessary:
    --> star rating in the most right column: rating of the staging potential (visuals, expected cinematography) and all other elements like vocals, charisma, etc. but not the rating of the song (50%).
    --> star rating in the center column: rating of the actual song (studio version) (50%).
    --> star rating in the most left column: average combined rating, the ' effectiveness of the total audiovisual package' of all entries, of what we can expect on May 9th, 11th and 13th (100%).
    --> in case of a tie: ranking of total packages comes 1st, ranking of song comes 2nd, bit like in the real contest.
    --> if tie still exists: my personal favourite outranks the other song.

So here there are:

Semi-Final #1 (Tuesday May 9th):
    JfFY49K.png

Semi-Final #2 (Thursday May 11th):
    ks5COAp.png

Rating of the 6 Auto-Qualifiers (to be performed on Saturday May 13th):
    CWaH899.png
    Hhere's a great documentary about Eurovision. Connection Eurovision with historical events. And then you find out that Eurovision....has always been showing the cultural and political trends of its time:

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    dragonsky wrote: »

btw I was just thinking about our Eurovision songs and I think this is our best for my taste

The song is mediocre, but certainly the best singer. One of the greatest. A real shame he died so young.
  • GBFGBF
    Hhere's a great documentary about Eurovision. Connection Eurovision with historical events. And then you find out that Eurovision....has always been showing the cultural and political trends of its time:

great documentary !! with a happy ending for Germany :-)
    Today the rehearsals start :-D! Finally, we get an idea of how the acts are going to look like:
    https://songfestivalwerk.wordpress.com/2017/04/29/kiev-2017-■-pre-repetitie-voorspellingen-notities/
    repetities-2017.png

You can follow the rehearsals here:
    https://eurovision.tv/

In the meanwhile, I am catching up with girl group LUV from The Netherlands :-P. They were quite big in the 1970's (Always wonder why they never participated in Eurovision):
    @GBF, @Superintendent, @Dragonsky, @Thunderfinger, @BondJasonBond006 . This year, for the very first time, eurovision.tv releases official camera footage that will be more or less the same from what we will see on TV next week. Today, the 2nd set of rehearsals for all semi-finalists started. And today the first 15 countries from semi-final #1 came on stage. These are my favourites and could very well be sen on the left hand side of the scoreboard on May 13th:

#1: FINLAND:

Comment: Remember those 'celtic myst' entries from the 1990's? Well, music is timeless they say, and the atmosphere of this entry is truly emotional and dreamy. A contender with Armenia for the victory of this semi-final.

#2: AUSTRALIA:

Comment: The thing that grabs me most about Australia this year is Isaiah himself. Gosh, does his cute face emote fantastically. I get goosebumps when he sings, so charisma seriously works here.

#2: SWEDEN:

Comment: Sheer, competent fun! That's what it is. A fantastic slick choreography that will make televoters and especially juries smile. In contention to win this semi final as well.

#4: CYPRUS:

Comment: The press in Kiev says this entry stands no chance of qualifying. Probably they are right, but I find the Icelandic entry fierce and modern, reminiscent of Swedish singers like Robyn. If a surprise country qualifies, then this is the one.
    I won t be able to watch the semi finals as I am working, but I do hope Armenia and Belgium make it to Saturday.