The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

mattjoes wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'd rather not, actually. I just want him to look like Bond.

But if Daniel Craig is Bond, then isn't it the case that whatever he looks like is what Bond looks like?

article-1299585392921-0d849d43000005dc-177175_636x300.jpg

That's one way of looking at it. However, say had Sean done NSNA sporting his "Man Who Would Be King" look I probably would have been disappointed in spite of the fact he was playing a retired Bond. He certainly considered doing it without the toupee and possibly wearing a beard, but in the end chose to keep Bond as he was, only older.
    I'd rather see Daniel the same, but older.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    mattjoes wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'd rather not, actually. I just want him to look like Bond.

But if Daniel Craig is Bond, then isn't it the case that whatever he looks like is what Bond looks like?

article-1299585392921-0d849d43000005dc-177175_636x300.jpg

This video, along with the Olympics short with the queen, might be the only instances in which Bond has been used as a fictional character, invading real world space.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Watching that Craig montage was so depressing. His first 2 Bond outings were so promising and gave us great stuff and then....lets hope Bond Bond 25 captures the magic that we started off with.
  • How about this look for Bond?

Sure, if they want to kill the franchise forever. Some of you are giving me constant nightmares.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited December 2017 Posts: 7,966
    The plot device of Bond being too old in SF was terrible; at this point it , somewhat, paints them into a corner. If he was too old then, where would he be nearly a decade on? A better approach would have been no mention of age and stressing burn out and disengagement.
    Daniel+Craig+Annette+Bening+Museum+Moving+OCwgeNuG7ATl.jpg

To the right, Dan! To the right!

He looks well, but prefer no beard to be honest.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »
    The plot device of Bond being too old in SF was terrible; at this point it , somewhat, paints them into a corner. If he was too old then, where would he be nearly a decade on? A better approach would have been no mention of age and stressing burn out and disengagement.

Agreed. It shouldn't have been a topic of discussion, especially in his third film.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Well, when not playing Bond, many of the actors grew beards, mustaches, wore longer hair, or, in the case of Sean, ditched the hair altogether. When the cameras roll, he will look like 007.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Exactly. It's such a simple route to have taken but idiocy prevailed that day. Honestly, the Craig era post QoS is such a let down and disappointment.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I always see it as characters calling Bond an old dog playfully, without those comments being what the story is really about; it's there perspective on what Bond is facing, but those comments don't get to the heart of what's really going on. We've talked about this before but I think SF is far more focused on Bond's mental hangups than his physical ones; he takes a few bullets to the shoulder that make it hard to fall back into the work, but his trust has been eroded and that is the real blockade and core of the story. He certainly doesn't stay hidden away because he was shot, he's pissed at M and doesn't feel like his work is respected or trusted anymore, and trust is everything to him (the Vesper issue).

As for the age thing, I've not minded it. Craig's Bond would be nearing voluntary retirement for a 007 is he was in a Fleming novel by SF time (and was already quite old in CR), so the story's focus on other characters wondering if he's through are somewhat in line with a story Fleming would have to write if he did write Bond as a 45 year old man. I think the same sorts of things would happen; Moneypenny would tease him about being an "old dog," a superior would question if he's past in and needs to resign his work, etc. Craig Bond is a lot closer to that retirement age and so more of those questions present themselves but I think a lot of of the doubt in him is also driven by the British government's feelings who don't think we should have spies no matter their age. So Bond is fighting not only his employees to prove himself, but also the government culture that he serves who are both wondering how long any of them can stick with it.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    I have a little more money I can spend on movies. Usually I'm not interested at all in newer content as you know.

But I would like to get one movie of each Bond actor outside their Bond catalogue.

Nothing that is dramatically different to Bond unless it's really considered one of the best.

I'd be very grateful for suggestions for Daniel Craig as I have no knowledge whatsoever about the man outside of Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    My favourite non Bond Craig film is The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Very moody and atmospheric thriller.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    bondjames wrote: »
    My favourite non Bond Craig film is The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Very moody and atmospheric thriller.

I agree, absolutely.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    At least with Craig it seems an easy choice ha ha...

Dragon Tattoo...purchased.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Layer Cake. No contest.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Shit; LC & DT
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I know I'm in the minority here but I just love Cowboys and Aliens. :-bd
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,721
    Munich - I saw that at the cinema and then soon after he was cast at Bond - and I can proudly say I was in the 'he's going to nail this role' camp. (Which at the time was a minority - at least vocally!) If Layer Cake showed he had the looks of Bond, Munich proved he had all the ruthless assassin attributes. He is driven and ice cold in that film. I knew he would deliver in CR - I thought 'it's Fleming's debut 007 novel, they'll do the torture scene justice and the bloke they've cast is physical as hell and intense.' Munich also has the bonus of being Speilberg on top form and both Hugo Drax and Dominic Greene show up in it!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,185
    I really liked him in Tomb Raider.
    He looked good in Layer Cake but his TR character was much closer to Bond.

Only when I saw Tomb Raider, it made me understand why he might be a good Bond.
    And he blew it out of the Park with CR of course.

I would recommend TR to you @Andi1996Ruegg as i think it's exactly the sort of fun that you are looking for ;)
    And Angelina Jolie is outstanding, in all sorts of ways.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yes, @00Agent , she's the breast...
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    That joke is actually inappropriately applied to Ms. Jolie, can't tell if you're aware, @peter.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2018 Posts: 8,083
    That joke is actually inappropriately applied to Ms. Jolie, can't tell if you're aware, @peter.

And what makes you the arbitor, may I ask?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    it was a typo @RichardTheBruce ...

That's my story-- and I'm sticking to it.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,185
    lets calm our t*** everyone
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You took the words right out of my mouth, @00Agent ; now it's time for me to hiss off...
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Layer Cake's probably his best non Bond movie but I think any Craig fans on here who haven't seen it should watch Our Friends In The North, it's a BBC TV series that went out in the 90s. It's really good and he's brilliant in it.

I think it'd be great if Craig could get Christopher Eccleston cast as the villain in Bond 25 (Mark Strong would be cool too but him as the bad guy feels a bit obvious nowadays). He's a Bond fan and an amazing actor, I'd love to see him and Craig work together in anything but in Bond especially it'd be a dream come true and it seems like he has enough pulling power/creative control to make it happen.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I personally like Craig's Sword of Honour as well.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    And what makes you the arbitor, may I ask?
    I actually can't tell if folks are aware, so I'll post this.
    telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/10055488/Angelina-Jolie-I-had-a-double-mastectomy-to-reduce-my-breast-cancer-risk.html

This is a more complex scenario today for better or worse and I'm not going to pursue the details. But my awareness of the original story is why I commented what I did.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Feature releases:

1. TGWTDT
    2. Layer Cake
    3. Logan Lucky
    4, Munich
    5. Enduring Love
    6. The Mother (you will never look at DC the same way again)
    7. Road to Perdition (ranked lower because DC's role is fairly minor)
    8. Cowboys and Aliens
    9. Flashbacks of a Fool (DC appears in the first and final acts; the film suffers because of it. He's a tour de force, especially in his restaurant scene with friend Mark Strong, see below)
    10. Sylvia

• peterpeter Toronto
    @RichardTheBruce , I wasn’t even thinking of real life when I made the comment. My wife, a Masters Level Pilates Instructor, fit and sexy as hell, is also a cancer survivor. So I understand your sensitivity. However, in the end, it was a purposefully childish joke that found humour more in the man that said it (me being self-deprecating and purposefully pulling the stereotypical chain of the Alfa male).

We all gotta take a breath and laugh.

Honestly if you’d like to chat more, please PM me. My wife will also chat with you too. My joke was more of a characterization of a man than it was of Jolie’s real life medical history. And the “guy” (character) saying the joke was remarking more on the chesty Lara Croft image than it was on Angelina’s medical issues.