The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Archangel is an interesting bit about Stalin. Worth giving it a try.

I will...I forgot I even had it !! *headslap*

I like to joke that it's James Bond meets Harvey Specter
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This is an interesting discussion, if completely unbefitting of Lord Craig's thread (I love the bastard).

I think the factors that contribute to a lack of star power are partly down to a lack of young stars and aging old stars, and also the industry and where it's at now. We're in the period of remakes and reboots, and it's no surprise why so many films sink now, like Cruise's Mummy film that is one of those wretched things. I think that, no matter who is in a film, audiences are speaking with their wallets more than ever (and rising cinema prices won't help get people out to the screens) and it doesn't matter who the big star is. Just because Tom Cruise is in a film is no guarantee of its quality, and it isn't a motivator for many to see it like it once was.

In a way audiences are being more critical about movies and what they see. They want to be told good stories and seem to get more offended when a movie is just mindless or doesn't add up to an interesting narrative. I feel like audiences of the past were much more likely to see a film, shut off their brains and accept flaws. In the age of the internet where everyone is a critic, people now have a more harsh outlook on how their money is being spent and that correlates with the rising costs of movies and the climate the industry is in where originality is often unrewarded and rehashing old ideas is the running motto. In some ways, it's nice to see, as people should be smarter about how they spend their time and money. It's also great that no actor can just sail by doing mediocre work and expect to get paid for it. It's a more level-playing field on the whole, where quality is the true qualifier for a good legacy.

This. Also the rise of Rotten Tomatoes has assured you can't get away with making a bad film anymore. RT has become gospel for movie goers nowadays, for better or for worse.

At the end of the day, the studios will "give the people what they want". This whole reboot crap is not what people want, and because of this I'll wager they slow down on them in the near future.

And also to be fair, SF had a lot of flaws but it was publically praised. Even non-James Bond fans think that movie was great, even if they haven't remembered it or not.

@dominicgreene, it'll be interesting to see how the studio system changes down the line. I'd like to live in hope that originality will be valued again in the industry, but I still don't think we're at the doorstep of a revolution in filmmaking. Movies are bigger and more expensive now and you have these studios who saddle themselves to old ideas rather than new ones because they think it's more risky to throw money at an untested IP than running with something that already worked decades back. The problem is that these remakes and reboots often produce stinkers and there are very few franchises or films that actually feel like they were worth being reassessed for a more contemporary time.

I don't think Hollywood have caught on to how bad their strategy is so far, but they're quickly learning it now. Audiences don't want to be fed garbage or things recycled from a film or series that most likely already did it better years or decades before, and they certainly don't like be fed political messages by a bunch of bean counters who assemble movies by what they think hits certain demographics. It's a slimy, slimy business and it's a shame that more original minds aren't being pushed to do their work rather than the same old hacks.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Yes, Anne Reid. Its really worth checking out.
    Creasy, have you seen Copenhagen?

I have not. It's this TV movie with Craig from 2002, yeah? He looks so young in it. I'll have to add that one to the list, as well.

I could use a rewatch of 'Defiance,' as well. Haven't seen it in years now, but I loved that movie. Was happy to catch it in theaters.

I don't think it was a TV film, pretty sure it was a cinema release. A very brave performance from Anne Reid, who had to strip off despite her advanced years.
    Yes, cinema.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    A part of being a Bond actor that I feel gets overlooked by fans is in the marketing of the brand during their tenures. We know of the famous ads with Sean, like those for various drinks the world over, the great commercials Roger did like the one set during a masked ball in Italy that felt ripped from one of his movies and the Lark cigarette poster ads with Pierce that felt like mini adventures all on their own that his Bond experienced between the big missions.

I have enjoyed much of Dan's own promotional materials, especially when he is working with Sony. These two commercials especially dazzle me, the first for Sony Bravia TVs around the time of Quantum of Solace and the second around Skyfall's release that had a wider advertising goal of pushing a bunch of Sony products via the film's marketing:

The Bravia commercial is actually one of my favorite commercials of all time, from the photography and framing of the overall action to how sound is used to show off the features of their TVs and to create a cinematic viewing experience. Dan gives a performance as compelling and interesting as any of his Bond films in it, really visualizing the kind of exhaustion Bond goes through to survive. The commercial literally bombards the man with all sorts of debris and shakes him with explosions, but he still keeps standing as he does in the movies themselves. I also love the rapid and overlaid mix of voices and sounds that play over the commercial, like Bond is taking in every pin drop of his environment as a predator would in order to know when danger is coming.
    A part of being a Bond actor that I feel gets overlooked by fans is in the marketing of the brand during their tenures. We know of the famous ads with Sean, like those for various drinks the world over, the great commercials Roger did like the one set during a masked ball in Italy that felt ripped from one of his movies and the Lark cigarette poster ads with Pierce that felt like mini adventures all on their own that his Bond experienced between the big missions.

I have enjoyed much of Dan's own promotional materials, especially when he is working with Sony. These two commercials especially dazzle me, the first for Sony Bravia TVs around the time of Quantum of Solace and the second around Skyfall's release that had a wider advertising goal of pushing a bunch of Sony products via the film's marketing:

The Bravia commercial is actually one of my favorite commercials of all time, from the photography and framing of the overall action to how sound is used to show off the features of their TVs and to create a cinematic viewing experience. Dan gives a performance as compelling and interesting as any of his Bond films in it, really visualizing the kind of exhaustion Bond goes through to survive. The commercial literally bombards the man with all sorts of debris and shakes him with explosions, but he still keeps standing as he does in the movies themselves. I also love the rapid and overlaid mix of voices and sounds that play over the commercial, like Bond is taking in every pin drop of his environment as a predator would in order to know when danger is coming.

And the heavy breath of a female
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Re Craig's age;

Being 50 today isn't the same for an actor as being 50 was three decades ago. Many actors stay in excellent shape, look after themselves and hit the gym when their next film starts pre-production. I have faith that Daniel Craig is one of those actors.

Even then, my Bond doesn't need a six-pack or arm muscles the size of a basket ball. As long as he's not wearing ten extra layers of fat, he could be just fine. Moore was excellent in OP, even without a bare chest that spelled "work-out junkie".
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Love that Bravia commercial with Craig. You explained it best.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Re Craig's age;

Being 50 today isn't the same for an actor as being 50 was three decades ago. Many actors stay in excellent shape, look after themselves and hit the gym when their next film starts pre-production. I have faith that Daniel Craig is one of those actors.

100% spot on

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, I always loved that Bravia ad. That's the Craig Bond I love and miss terribly; and yes his suit is a perfect fit.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I've never seen those ads before. They're both excellent. I personally liked the SF one. Craig's so much cooler in that (imho) than he is in the whole of SP and the control room is more Adam'esque than the one in the lair in the last film too. Perhaps they should get some of these guys involved in the next Bond film.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Re Craig's age;

100% spot on

True. But DC's age is an issue if he keeps throwing himself into the role the way he has been. He doesn't want to play Bond if he can't take on the physical part of it--and that is admirable. He needed knee surgery during the SP shoot.

If Babs and Michael can convince him to pull back a little on the stuntwork, he could do it for another 6-8 years, for sure.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Re Craig's age;

100% spot on

True. But DC's age is an issue if he keeps throwing himself into the role the way he has been. He doesn't want to play Bond if he can't take on the physical part of it--and that is admirable. He needed knee surgery during the SP shoot.

If Babs and Michael can convince him to pull back a little on the stuntwork, he could do it for another 6-8 years, for sure.

Dan gets injured both major and minor on his shoots, so it's not a sign of age, just that he gives it his all every time, often when he's warned not to. Fresh into it around QoS he had a serious shoulder injury that resulted in him needing shoulder reconstruction surgery, and he also sliced off the tip of one of his fingers somewhere along the line too. Sometimes it happens, but you get it fixed and move along. He operated the same as a younger man as he has an older one.
    Re Craig's age;

100% spot on

Dan gets injured both major and minor on his shoots, so it's not a sign of age, just that he gives it his all every time, often when he's warned not to. Fresh into it around QoS he had a serious shoulder injury that resulted in him needing shoulder reconstruction surgery, and he also sliced off the tip of one of his fingers somewhere along the line too. Sometimes it happens, but you get it fixed and move along. He operated the same as a younger man as he has an older one.

I am not saying that his age has caused the injuries. I am saying that recovering from them is harder on you when you're older. I know. This stuff kicks your arse as you get older.
    Re Craig's age;

100% spot on

I am not saying that his age has caused the injuries. I am saying that recovering from them is harder on you when you're older. I know. This stuff kicks your arse as you get older.

I think he'll be fine. He got his knee injury, got the surgery and was back in two weeks so that the film wouldn't be delayed to 2016, so he has pain management on lockdown. He's also an old fashioned kind of man, back when male leads sucked up what happened to them and marched on.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 2,081
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Daniel Craig never broke character during the production of 'Logan Lucky':

http://www.businessinsider.com/daniel-craig-logan-lucky-character-2017-6

Character is not the same thing as mere voice. Keeping the voice and accent throughout a shoot (even off camera) doesn't mean not breaking character. Whether or not he never broke character on this shoot I don't know (GL probably does - does he ever actually do that complete staying in character thing?), but this article only actually talks about the voice - apart from its headline. My guess would be he most likely did break character, pretty much everyone does, and why wouldn't they. Usually when actors supposedly "don't break character" they actually just keep the accent, because they find it easier than switching back and forth. It's a way to serve energy, and then one doesn't need to think about the accent while filming - they just talk like a person normally doesn't think about their accent when they talk. Or maybe keep some mannerisms, so that those, too, are just natural when the cameras are rolling. Most actors don't behave like the character all the time, though, which is how I understand "being in character" - they talk as themselves even if they use the character's accent, joke between takes even on deadly serious movies, and so on.

Unless you're Daniel Day Lewis, of course. Even still, as serious as he takes the roles he does, he breaks character like all of the others eventually. He'd run a sickness on the set of 'Gangs of New York' because he refused to bundle up with coats and whatnot that were made after the time era, while subsequently using Eminem's music (of all things) to pump himself up and get into character.

That's why I said "pretty much everyone". He's the only actor I know of who supposedly keeps in character all the time on set. I've never really looked into it, though, so I have no idea how much of what gets written someplace is actually true (I'm sure some of it isn't), and how much is just typical internet/media exaggeration (which is common as hell, anyway).
    Probably because he is doing so few films. You cant go through this ordeal a couple of times a year.

That, too, I'm sure. But I assume he just feels he needs to do it that way. (And if that's the only way he can act then it makes sense he makes so few films.) Most actors just don't. It also doesn't seem sensible, but oh well. It doesn't make an actor "better" if they can't operate as themselves anymore on set - socialize with people as themselves or put on sensible clothing when needed between takes in order not to become sick. I think it's an overly serious approach, taking yourself and your job far too seriously, but maybe he just can't do it another way. (I once saw somebody say they'd want to see DDL work with Terrence Malick, just because it's sort of an unthinkable and crazy even as an idea, and DDL would be so out of his comfort zone. I can't even imagine...)
    Probably because he is doing so few films. You cant go through this ordeal a couple of times a year.

Definitely not, it'd certainly take its toll. Regardless of how the article's titled, I'm sure the length that Craig went to "keep in character" was, like you two said, maintaining the voice and perhaps a bit of that personality. No way he took a role like this as seriously as, say, some major Oscar contending role.

I don't think it's that, really. Even with very serious roles and movies actors normally joke around on set, talk about stuff as themselves, etc. Awards consideration and whatnot doesn't really come into it, they are just different ways of working - dependent on the actor more than the role/movie I mean.
    This is an interesting discussion, if completely unbefitting of Lord Craig's thread (I love the bastard).

I think the factors that contribute to a lack of star power are partly down to a lack of young stars and aging old stars, and also the industry and where it's at now. We're in the period of remakes and reboots, and it's no surprise why so many films sink now, like Cruise's Mummy film that is one of those wretched things. I think that, no matter who is in a film, audiences are speaking with their wallets more than ever (and rising cinema prices won't help get people out to the screens) and it doesn't matter who the big star is. Just because Tom Cruise is in a film is no guarantee of its quality, and it isn't a motivator for many to see it like it once was.

In a way audiences are being more critical about movies and what they see. They want to be told good stories and seem to get more offended when a movie is just mindless or doesn't add up to an interesting narrative. I feel like audiences of the past were much more likely to see a film, shut off their brains and accept flaws. In the age of the internet where everyone is a critic, people now have a more harsh outlook on how their money is being spent and that correlates with the rising costs of movies and the climate the industry is in where originality is often unrewarded and rehashing old ideas is the running motto. In some ways, it's nice to see, as people should be smarter about how they spend their time and money. It's also great that no actor can just sail by doing mediocre work and expect to get paid for it. It's a more level-playing field on the whole, where quality is the true qualifier for a good legacy.

This. Also the rise of Rotten Tomatoes has assured you can't get away with making a bad film anymore. RT has become gospel for movie goers nowadays, for better or for worse.

At the end of the day, the studios will "give the people what they want". This whole reboot crap is not what people want, and because of this I'll wager they slow down on them in the near future.

And also to be fair, SF had a lot of flaws but it was publically praised. Even non-James Bond fans think that movie was great, even if they haven't remembered it or not.

Just some movie goers. Maybe more so of certain age or nationalities. I'm very interested in movies, and watch more movies than anyone I know (irl), but I don't give a crap about RT, nor does anyone I know (again: irl). I'm pretty sure some friends I've gone to movies with wouldn't even know what the heck RT is - and no reason they should as far as I'm concerned.

@dominicgreene, it'll be interesting to see how the studio system changes down the line. I'd like to live in hope that originality will be valued again in the industry, but I still don't think we're at the doorstep of a revolution in filmmaking. Movies are bigger and more expensive now and you have these studios who saddle themselves to old ideas rather than new ones because they think it's more risky to throw money at an untested IP than running with something that already worked decades back. The problem is that these remakes and reboots often produce stinkers and there are very few franchises or films that actually feel like they were worth being reassessed for a more contemporary time.

I don't think Hollywood have caught on to how bad their strategy is so far, but they're quickly learning it now. Audiences don't want to be fed garbage or things recycled from a film or series that most likely already did it better years or decades before, and they certainly don't like be fed political messages by a bunch of bean counters who assemble movies by what they think hits certain demographics. It's a slimy, slimy business and it's a shame that more original minds aren't being pushed to do their work rather than the same old hacks.

Yeah. It's pretty tragic.
    Re Craig's age;

100% spot on

I think he'll be fine. He got his knee injury, got the surgery and was back in two weeks so that the film wouldn't be delayed to 2016, so he has pain management on lockdown. He's also an old fashioned kind of man, back when male leads sucked up what happened to them and marched on.

Yes, but it does get much harder with age. Body doesn't heal as quickly, or indeed as well, so it'll be tougher all the time the older anyone gets. Not that actors can't acquire chronic pain from injuries on set (or off set for that matter) even at a much younger age, but it gets worse later on.
    Everything is worse/harder when you get older, so I'd say that's a given. Accept for maybe senior benefits and discounts at diners.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Everything is worse/harder when you get older, so I'd say that's a given. Accept for maybe senior benefits and discounts at diners.

Not everything is harder. Some things are softer.
    It's all about conditioning. If someone is continually in good fit shape (like an athlete) then their body can repair faster. As one ages, the ability to come back from an injury or to retrain to peak condition after letting it go for a time is more difficult. Same goes to recovering from a bender.

It can be done, but as has been mentioned, it's more difficult each time.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Unless Craig has some serious, chronic injury, of which we are unaware, his physical fitness and ability to meet the demands of playing Bond are a non issue. He's got great genetics and knows how to get in shape. 50 is not what it once was
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »
    As one ages, the ability to come back from an injury or to retrain to peak condition after letting it go for a time is more difficult. Same goes to recovering from a bender.

What is that? Is it slang for a boner?
    As one ages, the ability to come back from an injury or to retrain to peak condition after letting it go for a time is more difficult. Same goes to recovering from a bender.

No, although that becomes more difficult with time too apparently, or so I've heard. By bender I meant an evening of wild drinking.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

No, although that becomes more difficult with time too apparently, or so I've heard. By bender I meant an evening of wild drinking.

I knew that
    Bender-smoking-and-drinking.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Redneck city. Gotta love it.

I just realized that Soderbergh seems to love his heist films. One of the earlier ones I saw was The Underneath, which I quite enjoyed.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 1,162

I just realized that Soderbergh seems to love his heist films. One of the earlier ones I saw was The Underneath, which I quite enjoyed.

I consider him the most fun loving of the really great talents of present. Especially out of sight to me displayed some genuine and brilliant narrating and filming approach. Contrary to it -and I know I'm in a minority with it - I consider the oceans movies a pseudo clever letdown.

I consider him the most fun loving of the really great talents of present. Especially out of sight to me displayed some genuine and brilliant narrating and filming approach. Contrary to it -and I know I'm in a minority with it - I consider the oceans movies a pseudo clever letdown.
    Out of Sight is an excellent film, and I agree that Soderbergh used the back and forth timeline very well.

Like Tarantino, he really seems to get the best out of his actors, and that is quite a skill.

I only really liked the first Oceans film. I'm not too keen on the sequels.
    I agree that the first is by far the best. The second one I considered almost an insult plot wise.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    'Logan Lucky' is among the official selection and will have its European premiere at the 12th Rome Film Festival from October 26th to November 5th 2017 at the Auditorium Parco della Musica.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,690
    EDIT: @Red_Snow posted the same video at the same time as me.