The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    But, Bond destroyed the base, Nine Eyes was stopped, and the Big Cheese was captured. I'd say Bond thinks he destroyed Spectre?

It's just a personal preference to book-end DC's run: I'd love to explore his arrogance from the end of the spectrum: he thinks he's seen and defeated all of the challenges set before him, he's overcome, and, usually, ends up victorious, or at least even. He leaves with his girl, and then WHAM, he's hit by a tsunami that makes him question everything about who he is...

I dunno @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'm speaking more from a place of concepts in my head, rather than tangible plot points. In the end, I always think the more obstacles in the hero's path (both psychological (self-doubt in this case), and physical), the more exciting; we all know 007 has to win the day, but to watch DC's last one and are unsure if he will be victorious at the end (kind of like how many felt during CR), is a perfect way, in my opinion, to end DC's tenure...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @peter, Bond destroying a base and stopping one SPECTRE operation doesn't equate to the end of the organization, though. All the agents we saw in Rome, and any others around the world that weren't there would still be at large, and SPECTRE's high seat would be up for grabs in a battle for the crown. To me, SPECTRE is far from dead, and their power could be portrayed well in Bond 25. I'd like to have a plot that showed how ingrained in world governments they are, even inside MI6 and MI5 themselves, etc.

But just because Blofeld is captured doesn't mean all that goes away. If anything, they'd be more active to either get their leader back or find a new one. It depends on how loyal the agents are to their top dog.
    I'd like to have a plot that showed how ingrained in world governments they are, even inside MI6 and MI5 themselves, etc.
    I'd like that a lot, to see some follow-up on all the officials and figures who were outed as Quantum members in QoS. Presumably the same sort of people are also members of Spectre. However, I could really do without any more monkey business back at MI6. That was already tired when they trotted out the C character in SP.

Anyway, kind of off topic, lol. How 'bout that Daniel Craig? He's pretty cool, isn't he?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Milovy, he's the cooliest.

(I think that's what the kids are saying these days)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Milovy wrote: »
    Anyway, kind of off topic, lol. How 'bout that Daniel Craig? He's pretty cool, isn't he?
    There was another thread created yesterday which asked broader questions about Craig's tenure. It was merged into this one, which surprised me because the discussion on that thread (from the preamble) was intended to be broader than pure appreciation. So here we are.
    @bondjames Oh I see, that explains it.
    Since I opened this Thread, I can Chance the title. Its pro and Con now, but certainly Not meant to become a slaughter fest. And Not meant for Mendes to turn it into a Turner appreciation gig either. But I also thought, in the new Thread was a nice discussion going in, which was staled by morfing those two.

• peterpeter Toronto
    very pro (even with a little mis-step in SP).
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Since I opened this Thread, I can Chance the title. Its pro and Con now, but certainly Not meant to become a slaughter fest. And Not meant for Mendes to turn it into a Turner appreciation gig either. But I also thought, in the new Thread was a nice discussion going in, which was staled by morfing those two.
    I wanted to keep the six appreciation threads the same, but if you think the word 'Appreciation' should be removed to allow for broader criticism then let's have some feedback. I don't really want this one at odds with the other five.

Removing appreciation is allowing for pros and cons by it's very nature.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    NicNac wrote: »
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I wanted to keep the six appreciation threads the same, but if you think the word 'Appreciation' should be removed to allow for broader criticism then let's have some feedback. I don't really want this one at odds with the other five.

Removing appreciation is allowing for pros and cons by it's very nature.
    @NicNac, the other newly created thread (which was merged into this one) was meant to be broader, and I think by its nature would spark interesting back and forth.

Merging it into the Appreciation thread could cause some future issues, as I know some prefer an Appreciation thread to be purely for 'love' as it were, as a sanctuary from some of the (sometimes) heated debate that others (including myself) enjoy.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    bondjames wrote: »
    Merging it into the Appreciation thread could cause some future issues, as I know some prefer an Appreciation thread to be purely for 'love' as it were, as a sanctuary from some of the (sometimes) heated debate that others (including myself) enjoy.

I, for one, am very much in favour of Appreciation threads for Appreciation only. (A Dalton fan speaks.)
    But there is Never really anything interesting going on in DCs purely appreciation thread and since he is the current Bond actor, I would think he could have a slightly different thread. As soon aus it turns into a hate thread, I will change the title again. I see it als my thread in the way, Nobody interfers with jakes Production thread either.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    The Orchard Acquiring ‘Kings’; Halle Berry-Daniel Craig Drama Set Against Backdrop Of LA Riots – Cannes
    https://deadline.com/2017/05/kings-halle-berry-daniel-craig-movie-the-orchard-1202098062/

After heated bidding from multiple places after a strong promo reel, The Orchard has acquired Kings, the Deniz Gamze Ergüven-directed drama that stars Halle Berry and Daniel Craig. The film is described as a drama about a foster family in South Central, a few weeks before the city erupts in violence following the verdict of the Rodney King trial in 1992.

A release date has yet to be set.
    Logan Lucky Trailer was released https://youtube.com/watch?v=aPzvKH8AVf0&t=3s
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Looks fun.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Yes, it does. Craig's role seems interesting. I'm planning to watch this.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    dunda wrote: »
    Logan Lucky Trailer was released https://youtube.com/watch?v=aPzvKH8AVf0&t=3s

DC moving as far from Bond as possible. This is his quirkiest role since Hotel Splendide or Some Voices.
    This is exactly what I need.

Craig steals this trailer. I'm really looking forward to this film now, it looks as though Soderburgh is going back to his Ocean's 11 style but with a hint of the Coen brothers.

It's also great to see Craig play against type. In the last decade, he's only really played James Bond or other cool silent types. This looks like the sort of mischievous and fun performance we have all been waiting for.

The guy has range - but I hope he doesn't become overly slapstick. There seems to be a mild threat that he's on the verge of going into an SNL skit.

I do hope, Craig can get back into the big leagues - I mean, why can't he get the same acting offers as Christian Bale or Bradley Cooper? Here's hoping he returns to form.

Also, I'm a big fan of this cast. Especially Riley Keough...anyone who has seen American Honey can attest to her talent. I hope Craig has built up a good relationship with Soderburgh and gets him to do Bond 25.

1297a7a272f856c83cb6b598a68ddb2f.jpg

(Though it may just be me, but there is some really ugly digital photography in that trailer........)
    From The Guardian :

Breaking the Bond: six roles to distance Daniel Craig from 007

The ballad of James Bond has just taken its latest twist. Daniel Craig, by his own admission, would “rather slash his wrists” than play 007 again. He’s seemingly resisting intergalactic amounts of money to sign on for more films. To the outsider, it appears Craig is doing everything in his power to distance himself from the role.

That notion was reinforced last weekend, when the trailer for Steven Soderbergh’s comeback movie, Logan Lucky, was unveiled. Craig features in it, playing a tattooed, bleach-blond, high camp criminal named Joe Bang, whose voice seems to be modelled on Zach Galifianakis’ Seth character. Joe Bang is a far cry from James Bond – he speaks in actual sentences, for a start – but it may not be far enough.

Sean Connery, to truly escape Bond, had to dress up in a mankini to play an uncivilised “Exterminator” who flies around in a giant stone head in Zardoz. Forget bleaching his hair – that’s the level of commitment Craig needs if he wants to disassociate himself from 007. Here are some suggested roles for him.

Sean Spicer

The exact opposite of James Bond. Where Bond is suave and sophisticated, Spicer is frayed and angry. Bond is the master of the killer comeback, Spicer reacts to everything with a series of exasperated sighs. Bond always looks impeccable, Spicer has inspired a GoFundMe campaign to get him a suit that fits. Surely, if he’s really done with Bond, Craig should be pushing for a Sean Spicer biopic.

Nimrod

I suspect that money is the reason Craig hasn’t already ditched Bond. He hates the role, but likes the planet-sized pay packet that it brings. So let’s direct him to where the big money is these days: Marvel. The least Bond-y Marvel character is probably the shape-shifting, time-travelling genderless robot Nimrod, so let’s make a franchise out of that. Someone sign Craig up for a seven-movie deal. He loves those.

Tupac Shakur

No, wait, hear me out. Ask yourself this: how did Pierce Brosnan finally cut his ties to 007? That’s right – by bellowing like a sexless buffalo in the Abba jukebox musical Mamma Mia. Maybe that’s what Craig needs to do, too. Let’s sign him up for the lead in the adaptation of the short-lived 2014 Tupac Shakur musical Holler If Ya Hear Me and see how he does.

The pulsating brain tree from Twin Peaks

Unless David Lynch pulls the rug out from under us by giving it a subplot where it infiltrates a Russian supervillain’s base in a tuxedo before having sex with a beautiful woman, the nightmarish pulsating tree monster with a fleshy brain for a head from the new series of Twin Peaks is currently the least Bondish character in the world. Daniel Craig should push for a mid-season recast.

A dog in a funny hat

James Bond has been many things, but he has never been a nice dog in a funny hat. Coincidence?

Covfefe

At time of publication, it’s been six hours since Donald Trump enigmatically tweeted the non-word “covfefe”, causing a worldwide spike in bad Twitter jokes on the subject. This is more than enough time for Hollywood writers to knock out a series of pitches for a hapless cash-in Covfefe movie. Craig should attach himself to one of these lickety-split. Unless it turns out that Covfefe is actually a suave British superspy, in which case he should probably avoid it.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    barryt007 wrote: »
    A dog in a funny hat

Obviously I would watch this.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Daniel Craig never broke character during the production of 'Logan Lucky':

http://www.businessinsider.com/daniel-craig-logan-lucky-character-2017-6
    I love Craig's accent and high voice in that trailer....he looks on form I must say !
  • RC7RC7
    Craig looks excellent in LL. Can't wait to see him in the tux again.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yeah, at the Lucky Logan premiere!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Yeah, at the Lucky Logan premiere!
    Oy.
    hahaha well said..

This might actually rejuvenate DC and make him think about Bond from a fresh angle,and decide to do Bond 25.

I think he will,as long as its soon.
  • RC7RC7
    A belting actor. He could play Bond as long as he wants.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Music to my ears @RC7