The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• edited February 2013 Posts: 2,081
    ^^ I was just going to add Road To Perdition, but you beat me to it. :D

Brady - yes, true about Flashbacks, but I thought it was a good movie.

Personally I loved Defiance btw.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have heard a lot about his work in Perdition. Funnily enough, that performance made it clear to Sam that he shouldn't accept the Bond role! Good thing Dan didn't listen, considering how much Sam has been fed his own words. ;)
    Yes... :P ....but his reservations were really because of the way the Bond character had mostly been in recent times. Sam has explained he was thinking of the Brosnan and Moore Bonds and that Daniel would be uncomfortable playing that kind of a character. It was not, however the character Daniel was ever expected to play, the producers specifically wanted a different kind of Bond - for which he was perfect... and thank goodness they managed to convince him to accept the offer, eventually. Sam did admit that he realised his mistake within about 30 seconds of CR. Clever chap. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    It just goes to show, even sharp men like Sam make mistakes. And not just little mistakes, but BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG mistakes (in this case, of course). :)
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    Daniel Craig rocks :)

My second fave Bond I think, after Connery.

Brosnan is in third. ^^
    0Brady, well, yes and no. The point I was trying to make was that I understand his reasoning. I don't think Sam knew in advance what kind of a Bond Daniel was expected to play. If he had been told it was to be a rough, brutal, bad-ass, tormented and flawed one, his opinion likely would have been a different one to begin with. :)
    Tuulia wrote:
    0Brady, well, yes and no. The point I was trying to make was that I understand his reasoning. I don't think Sam knew in advance what kind of a Bond Daniel was expected to play. If he had been told it was to be a rough, brutal, bad-ass, tormented and flawed one, his opinion likely would have been a different one to begin with. :)

Yes, I see your point.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,817
    One of the first one he did was "The Power of One". I saw it a long time ago and at that time I didn't knew who Daniel was. It was a good movie though.
    From Craig I've seen unfortunaly only a few movies... the usual ones that get mentioned: Road to Perdition, Layer Cake (one of my favorite movies of all time) and Bond's.
    Edit: I forget of Munich, great film with non other than Daniel and two more Bond alumni.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 6,601

Brady and others, who are interested:

Like mentioned above
    - Enduring Love
    (interesting topic with Ifans as a gay and mentally ill guy stalking Dans character)
    - The Mother (interesting topic of an english family, there problems and Dan basically getting it on with a woman in her 60's. Great Anne Reid)
    _ Absolutely Infamous (the film about Truman capote. He is brilliant in that and got an Indie Award nod for it. He is Perry Smith..the killer)
    - Defiance (good film, not brilliant but some great acting scenes in it)
    Flashbacks (Love him in it, but just because its him. The film plot is lacking. His friend Baillie walsh wrote it with Dan in mind many years before they got it off the ground after Bond. They were in love with the project and didn't see its faults)
    - Ice House (GREAT. Try to get it. really good TV film in which he has the best chemistry with his co-star)
    -Archangel (again TV. Plays in Russia, plots around Stalin, him being a professor getting into trouble) Good show.

..more later ;)
    Thanks, @Germanlady. I think I will just go ahead and put every film he is in on my IMDb watchlist for good measure. :)

I have heard of Infamous, and I would watch it just to see Dan with jet black hair. One could almost get an idea of how his Bond would have looked if they went with the classic darker hair instead of his normal locks. I love the aspect of him playing the baddie, and I will definitely try to watch all these you listed both now and in the future. Hats off to you again, milady.
    hi.gif
    Thanks Brady. I will go on with the list of films, I personally consider worthy to be seen and will give a short comment why.

Daniel with black hair - for me - is something to bring me off my fangirlhood. Doesn't suit him at all. But the film is marvellous including him singing "There's a goldmine in the sky"
    Wow, he is really good! I would buy his album if he ever dabbled in music. He seems to be a good fit for folk music. As I hear his vocals I picture a veteran gunslinger singing all alone beside a campfire as the sky is filled with bright stars all around him.

Very calming music.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    doubleoego wrote:
    I can't believe road to perdition has been mentioned. Craig plays a slimey git perfectly in that film.

One of his best performances ever, for sure. And a great film altogether.

Sylvia is amazing, but rather depressing (for obvious reasons).
    OK, just for fun. Here is my list of his films worth watching IMO, starting with the early ones

“The Power of One” – his first movie. Playing in South Africa. Young DC gives a very mean soldier, hating and beating up the black.. 1992 – age 24.
    My verdict: Quite a strong performance for one so young

Our Friends in the North – a 10 hour TV epic stretching over a period of 30 years from 1964 – 1995. His portrayal of Geordie Peacock gave him a necessary push. He was THE tragic character, people really cared about.
    My verdict: One of his best performances.

Kiss and Tell – a nice, little TV crime story, that I personally found interesting plot wise.
    My verdict: Good performances, nothing special, but I like it

The Hunger (TV series) - very strange story, where DC gets raped - by a girl - in a very horrible way. Interesting though
    My verdict: If you can get it, try it.

Shockers: The Visitor - DC being a REAL bad little shit. But doing a good, convincing job
    My verdict: Try..

This is really it for me during the time from 92 – 96.
    There is a film about Moll Flanders, he is in, that I find one of his lesser performances, if not almost bad.
    Vedict: Nope from me, not worth the watch.

The Ice House: TV crime/drama after the Minette Walters novels. Interesting plot, VERY good dialogue.
    “I have no problems with dykes, Miss Cattrell, I just wouldn’t stick my finger in one” LOL
    No, seriously, that film HAS great dialogue and DC and Kitty Aldridge do have one of the best chemistries in his whole career so far.
    My verdict: A must see.

Love is the Devil – Not my cup of tea, but strong performances from Dan and Derek Jacobi as painter Francis Bacon.
    My verdict: If you like dark, atmospheric, slightly off films, this is the one.

Some Voices
    – as a mentally ill young man, trying to find back into life, even find love.
    My verdict: One of his top five performances, if not the best. If you compare the character Ray in this film and then switch to Bond, you can see, what he is capable of doing. If DC says, he is nothing like Bond, then Ray is even some more lightyears apart.
    A must see.

Hotel Splendide – not my cup of tea, but if you like black, scuril british humor, this is the one to watch.

Road to Perdition
    – as the weak son of Paul Newman, who is a gangster. Memorable scene, when he is at the table and has to apologize for cocking up something.
    My verdict: Very good acting – apart from that, if you like these 30’s gangster stories, see it.

Copenhagen – One of my favourites. Its almost like a play. Only three people in the whole movie. Its a television adaptation of Michael Frayn's celebrated and award-winning stage play about the meeting between physicists Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg (DC) in 1941.
    ALL the actors give worthy performances and even tough, I am not interested in nuclear physics, it did hold my attention throughout. The dialgues are wonderful.
    My verdict: A must see

The Mother - interesting topic of an english family, their problems and Dan basically getting it on with a woman in her 60's. Great Anne Reid. It’s a very curageous movie, that might not be everybodies taste.
    My verdict: Give it a try

Sylvia – the love story of poets Sylvia Plath and Ted Huges. Both give thrilling, convincing performances in this sad story.
    My verdict: The one film, I like him with dark hair. See it, its good

Enduring Love - interesting topic with Ifans as a gay and mentally ill guy stalking Dans character. A thought provoking film.
    My verdict: A strong, laid back performance from DC with great supporting actors. Give it a try
    The full film

Layer Cake
    – well, most know this film. If not, see it..

Archangel
    – TV film with an interesting plot, that sees DC as a british college professor working in Russia, who investigates certain mysteries surrounding the life and death of Joseph Stalin and gets in danger doing so.
    My verdict: It holds your interest. See it, if you get access.

Munich
    – same as with LC. Most know this film.

Infamous – another best of performance from him here as the killer Perry Smith against Toby Jones brilliant Truman Capote. They both act their socks of.
    My verdict: Must see.

Defiance – good, interesting story with very good performances, that somehow still is lacking. I dunno, what it is, but its something, that Blood Diamond and The Last Samurai have had.
    My verdict: Still very watchable with some really great scenes.

The rest – everybody with half an interest in him has seen these films. Everything else is either very short – as a scene or as a short film or is just not on my fave list. Others may disagree and add these films. :)
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    What about the golden compass? It's really bad but he's in it quite abit lol
    DCisared wrote:

Oh, the irony ;), but being IN IT isn't enough to make my list - quel surprise...
    But this COULD have been a good film, if they had bothered to develop the characters and hence give us a longer film.
    I almost forgot this. Its only 10 minutes, but telling a touching story. Its a little gem actually
    Germanlady wrote:

- Ice House (GREAT. Try to get it. really good TV film in which he has the best chemistry with his co-star)

Yes, fabulous chemistry. (I'm now grinning here thinking of the "Because my crotch is ruling my brain" - dialogue and the accent that goes with it... :P )

I wouldn't recommend Moll Flanders, either. I just didn't like the way it was done as a whole.

I also really liked Copenhagen.

I really enjoyed Hotel Splendide, myself. I like weird stuff like that. :) And talking of weird, I need to watch Love Is The Devil again to decide what I think... he did get an award for it, and yes he was good, but I'm not sure what I think of the movie... sorta depressing for sure.

On the other hand, I enjoyed The Trench despite it being depressing, too - in a different way... knowing enough about the real events to realise all the characters were doomed whether they were aware of it or not... it must have been even worse for those who knew, and Daniel did that very well... I-know-we'll-all-soon-die-miserably-in-a-carnage-but-I'll-pretend-I-don't-know.

Like I said I loved Defiance myself. A fabulous true story, and great acting. For anyone who likes the film I'd also recommend the director's commentary. I had to check who were the other leading stars he had directed... So, he thinks Daniel doesn't act like a star on set, isn't vain about his looks in a way that would interfere with the story (heck, I find it ridiculous that any actor would insist on trying to look good when they're supposed to look like shit, being sick or whatever in the story), and isn't jealous and possessive of his lines and important scenes if they are given to others if the story so demands. I assume some of the star actors Zwick has had in his movies must have caused him to do some eye rolling... not that he'd name any names, obviously. But it does make one wonder who... ;) Oh and I had to laugh at someone having asked if they had done something to enhance Daniel's eyes, and he said no, that's their natural colour. :D (There was a time with some other movie where I had thought of that myself... "they're not that blue, surely? they are? Oh, ok then... :P )

Yes, Ten Minutes Older is a little gem.
    DCisared wrote:

Eh? He's barely in it. But yes, not a great movie.
    @Tuulia - yes, Icehouse has some remarkable dialogue LOL. What I love is Kitty Eldriges timing. She is wonderful in delivering her lines. Too bad, she gave up acting to become a wife and mother.

I will see, from which films I have clips of the whole thing. Later today...
    He's quite frightening in Channel 4's Shockers - The Visitor, I think it's on You tube
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Layer Cake does it for me, every time. One of my favorites.
    Layer Cake does it for me, every time. One of my favorites.

Strangely enough, its far from being among my very favs. But its a good film, so its on the list.
    hisqos wrote:
    He's quite frightening in Channel 4's Shockers - The Visitor, I think it's on You tube

The best of inteviews of recent IMO - more honest and insidefull then we are used to get from him. Its been posted before, but should be here, too. I deleted the http: from the links, because I don't like filling this up with the vids showing all the time. So - if you wanna see it, just add http: again and its there.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrQY3CBEb7k
    //www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcEz8IwXlRE
    //www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-HxPlLg1uY
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 161
    Love is the Devil is a amazing film (a bit art house) but Craig's performance is heartbreaking as a gay man from a working class background going downward on an addiction of drinks and drugs. He's also naked in it if thats you're thing lol.

Enduring love is a really underated film with Craig playing it real straight rfan ifyans stealing the show as a man strangely obessed with Mr craig and a young Q (Ben wilshaw) in a small role

Our friends in the North is just amazing from going from a confindent young man to broken down old drunk shows what a actor Mr craig is.

Just saw Shockers The Vistor damn Craig can play creepy and scary pretty damn well and loved the ending to it.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I am overwhelmed by great cinema. 8->

Thanks so much, @Germanlady. I take your word as gospel.
    Craig has been in some fantastic movies. I'm convinced that when his Bond days are over, he'll still have a great career ahead of him (only Connery could say that at the moment)
    Favorite non Bond films that I've seen

Dragon Tattoo- Never read the book or saw the other adaption, but a really impressive movie with two really impressive performances. A great story with great direction by Fincher. Hoping for the sequel

Road To Perdition- Mendes's third best movie (after American Beauty and Skyfall) with great performances to all involved. Craig is in true form as a villain. I have love for this movie as it takes place in my hometown Chicago (although a 1930s version)

Defiance- A movie I like more than a lot of other people. Possibly because I'm Jewish and it's a film that makes me incredibly proud to be so. In my opinion, Craig's best non Bond performance that Hollywood should be ashamed of for overlooking it for awards

Adventures of Tintin- I really want to see footage of Craig doing the MC for this role because it's by far the most over the top thing he's done and it's great! Movie is classic Speilberg

Cowboys and Aliens- Guys...it's not THAT bad. It's actually really entertaining that gets a bad rap because of the awful title. They really should of changed it. But Craig gives a stern performance along with Harrison Ford. Direction is really good and I only wish more people liked it

A Kid in King Aurther's Court- I actually watched this movie all the time as a kid and had no idea Craig was in it until I saw it on TV again a few years ago. A small part along with Kate Winslet (yes, really)

Tomb Raider- Eh...entertaining but leaves a lot to be desired. Craig's American accent is fine but weird now that we all hear him with an English one all the time.

Yes I know I have to see more but for what it's worth, it's a fine list in my opinion
    I think, even though its a fine list, there is a lot to discover for you. In Defiance there were great moments of seeing him deliver a fine, nuanced performance, but something was missing in this film, that other films of Zwick have had. Unfortunately. It started off fine though with being on the list of the 10 best reviewed films by the Board of Reviewers. For some reason, it went downhill from then on.

If you can get to watch some of the films I listed, you will enjoy them, I think.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Shardlake wrote:
    I very much doubt Craig will top Geordie Peacock in OFITN he's astounding and so are his other cast members Christopher Eccleston & Mark Strong and Gina Mckee with great support from Peter Vaughn, David Bradley and Malcolm McDowell.

I can rarely say that UK televison is on a par with the U.S in the last 2 decades but with OFITN it is, up there with The Wire & Soprano's in my view and for me the best thing the BBC has ever produced.

Agreed completely. Brilliant TV and I think it's definetly Craig's best performance (and probably Strongs too, not sure about Eccleston since he's given so great performances over the years), and the best thing Craig has ever done.

I don't think he's ever topped that, acting wise.
    Germanlady wrote:

Copenhagen – One of my favourites. Its almost like a play. Only three people in the whole movie. Its a television adaptation of Michael Frayn's celebrated and award-winning stage play about the meeting between physicists Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg (DC) in 1941.
    ALL the actors give worthy performances and even tough, I am not interested in nuclear physics, it did hold my attention throughout. The dialgues are wonderful.
    My verdict: A must see

I really want to say this one no only for great acting but also because I'm very much into Physics.