The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Official website for 'Knives Out' has launched.

https://knivesout.movie/
    'Knives Out' is featured among the special presentations at this years Toronto Film Festival, Sept. 5 -15, 2019.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/toronto-film-festival-joker-ford-v-ferrari-hustlers-lineup-1203275868/
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm aiming to go this year. Hopefully I'll see him.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I'm aiming to go this year. Hopefully I'll see him.

Get some photos !
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Nothing I've heard about this is putting me off although the childish entitled Star Wars fanboys can't help referring to its director as Ruin Johnson.

Maybe we missed a trick and around SPECTRE should have called him Sham Mendes.

No, because as Bond fans, as bad as some of us can be, we wouldn't be as ridiculous as these idiots.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Shardlake wrote: »

Nothing I've heard about this is putting me off although the childish entitled Star Wars fanboys can't help referring to its director as Ruin Johnson.

No, because as Bond fans, as bad as some of us can be, we wouldn't be as ridiculous as these idiots.

@Shardlake: what is the issue these "fans" have with The Last Jedi?
    TripAces wrote: »

@Shardlake: what is the issue these "fans" have with The Last Jedi?

That is a joke right?
    Even if they didn't like TLJ and that is putting it mildly.
    Knives Out is totally different film yet they can't help but stink up the internet with their hate for Rian Johnson because he ruined their franchise in their opinions. Look I bloody hate SPECTRE but I don't go around slagging 1917 off because of it.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Perhaps it's because Mendes didn't antagonize Bond fans by responding harshly to criticisms. He's smart enough not to do that.

P.S. I don't give a toss about these fan reactions, I'm just drawing conclusions.
    Why David Fincher Never Made The Girl Who Played With Fire
    https://screenrant.com/david-fincher-girl-played-fire-movie-cancelled/
    Perhaps it's because Mendes didn't antagonize Bond fans by responding harshly to criticisms. He's smart enough not to do that.

P.S. I don't give a toss about these fan reactions, I'm just drawing conclusions.

Am I spotting someone who doesn't like Johnson here?

I've not been made aware of RJ being particularly ungracious, considering the vitriol poured on him I wouldn't be surprised if he sniped back though.

Plus Mendes got nowhere the hate that Johnson got, SPECTRE wasn't received brilliantly but compared to the collective toys thrown out the pram over TLJ it was nothing.

I don't personally love TLJ but I certainly don't hate, it was more satisfying than watching A New Hope (Star Wars in my day) being remade.

That aside I can't wait for Knives Out.

Yep. This was the general sense. Fincher never could get the script right, and he decided to leave the project. It's a shame, really, because TGWTDT is (in my estimation) one of the very best films of the decade. But I am biased: I love almost everything Fincher does.

Interestingly, I went into TGWTDT to see Rooney Mara. Back then, I was rather ho-hum about Craig, and while I liked him as Bond, I was not enthralled. That all changed in December 2011, after seeing this film. I walked out of the theater more intrigued by Craig's performance than Mara's. I re-watched CR and QoS, got ahold of Layer Cake, watched Road to Perdition and Munich.

I became a HUGE fan.

And then along came SF. The rest is history.
    TripAces wrote: »

Yep. This was the general sense. Fincher never could get the script right, and he decided to leave the project. It's a shame, really, because TGWTDT is (in my estimation) one of the very best films of the decade. But I am biased: I love almost everything Fincher does.

Interestingly, I went into TGWTDT to see Rooney Mara. Back then, I was rather ho-hum about Craig, and while I liked him as Bond, I was not enthralled. That all changed in December 2011, after seeing this film. I walked out of the theater more intrigued by Craig's performance than Mara's. I re-watched CR and QoS, got ahold of Layer Cake, watched Road to Perdition and Munich.

I became a HUGE fan.

And then along came SF. The rest is history.

It will always be one of those what if moments.

To have had Fincher back directing with Craig & Mara in their respective role and others returning to their supporting roles would have been fantastic.

To be honest the books aren't masterpieces by a long shot but entertaining, I though DF took TGWDT and elevated it.

The idea of condensing the next 2 books seems a smart idea.

As for Craig as Blomvist he was great and the chemistry between him and Mara was key to making that film work, she got the showy role that got all the notices but without a actor of Daniel's ability alongside her that performance would not be what it was.

I've not even bothered with the new film with Claire Foy in, it looked generically awful.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Am I spotting someone who doesn't like Johnson here?

If you are referring to me, the answer is - no, I have no such feelings towards Johnson. I don't even know much about him. I know he made Looper and I liked that film. So there's really no need to pull me into an argument by calling me a hater.

I don't care much about Star Wars too, I was just trying to offer a possible explanation to why Johnson gets the hate from fans, and Mendes doesn't. That's all. No feelings attached to it. I thought I made that clear in my response.

BTW, I am going to see Knives Out when it comes out. That's because of Craig and the cast, not Johnson.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Mendes brought „us“ Skyfall ... a Bond film some may not rank highly but many did and still do. But he also brought us SPECTRE ... which had enormous potential but in my book the final film makes one feel the missing supervision and missing enthusiasm of him for the project - he should never have done it. In the end I think the movie equals the other a bit and that‘s it. I appreciate his input to the series, especially Skyfall and some aspects that I really like in Spectre.

Johnson ... and sorry for that, just my opinion ... headed an insulting movie that killed Star Wars. In my opinion every male character is an idiot in this movie and this has nothing to do with creating „interesting and strong female characters“. Princess Leia was a strong character back in the 70s/80s in my book and a male fantasy at the same time. Same goes for Bond: Honey Rider was a strong female character yet a male fantasy as Bond was a strong male character yet a female fantasy. In my opinion SW9 therefore was just insulting and deserved all the (non-personal!!) blame it got because what they did with it was (again, imho) just wrong in many ways.

If B25 gets the balance right with strong female characters like Honey, Vesper or Fiona with good wit and still being sexy ... I see nothing wrong with that. Same goes with that forever-popular scene escaping the waves of the Bahamas in his swim trunks ... Bond was an interesting male character, portrayed with more depth than in previous movies and yet the female audience had something to smile about... nothing wrong with that in my book either the male or female characters if portrayed this way. Making Bond an anachronism and portray the „new 007 Lashana“ as the only sane and „good“ spy would be the very same mistake SW9 did ... and I doubt they will make this mistake.
    Rian Johnson’s ‘Knives Out’ Sells To KKR-Backed Indie Group For Germany & Austria
    https://deadline.com/2019/08/knives-out-rian-johnson-daniel-craig-germany-deal-1202672145/

'Knives Out' Sells to KKR-Owned Media Giant for Germany, Austria
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/knives-sells-kkr-owned-media-giant-germany-austria-1233201
    RIAN JOHNSON'S 'KNIVES OUT' TO CLOSE FANTASTIC FEST 2019
    fantasticfest.com/news/entry/behold-the-fantastic-fest-second-wave

Fantastic Fest is proud to announce its second wave of programming, led by a closing night screening of writer-director Rian Johnson’s hotly anticipated new Lionsgate and MRC mystery KNIVES OUT. A tribute to the work of Agatha Christie, KNIVES OUT stars Daniel Craig as debonair Detective Benoit Blanc, sent to investigate the death of a renowned crime novelist played by Christopher Plummer. KNIVES OUT will be Fantastic Fest 2019’s closing night film with Johnson in attendance for a special presentation at Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar in Austin, TX on Thursday, September 26th.
    2019 Toronto International Film Festival: Celebrities coming to the fest
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5819698/tiff-2019-celebrities-attending/

Other A-listers expected to attend include Joker star Joaquin Phoenix; Daniel Craig for the murder mystery Knives Out; Matt Damon and Christian Bale with the racing biopic Ford v Ferrari; Nicole Kidman for the art forgery drama The Goldfinch; and Natalie Portman with the space story Lucy in the Sky.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Knives Out is screening as part of the BFI London Film Festival.

Download the programme (page 11)
    2019 Toronto International Film Festival: Celebrities coming to the fest
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5819698/tiff-2019-celebrities-attending/

Other A-listers expected to attend include Joker star Joaquin Phoenix; Daniel Craig for the murder mystery Knives Out; Matt Damon and Christian Bale with the racing biopic Ford v Ferrari; Nicole Kidman for the art forgery drama The Goldfinch; and Natalie Portman with the space story Lucy in the Sky.

The lineup is unbelievable. I wish I could go to this thing.
    Mark Strong on living with Daniel Craig, family and his new TV show
    https://dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-7406557/Mark-Strong.html
    'Knives Out' Director Rian Johnson on Shifting From 'Star Wars' to Agatha Christie-Style Whodunnit
    https://hollywoodreporter.com/news/knives-director-rian-johnson-tackling-a-whodunnit-1236039

Am I right that you cast Daniel Craig first, in the Hercule Poirot-style role of Benoit Blanc? That looks like casting against type.

Yeah. Well obviously I had seen him, and loved him, in the Bond movies, but I'd also seen work he had done on the stage. His work in Lucky Logan I thought was incredible. I just knew he was an incredible actor who had a phenomenal range. And from just socially meeting him a few times I knew he was quite funny. And then there was a scheduling thing where the Bond movie pushed a few months. He suddenly had a window and we jumped right in there and were off to the races.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,043
    "I just knew he was an incredible actor who had a phenomenal range."

Quite few of us have known this for a quite a while, anyone that thinks DC is one note needs to see Our Friends In The North and see his range there, still the very best performance of any actor who's played Bond.

I look forward to him stepping back into the character actor shoes again and giving us some truly great work, stay away from the blockbusters and really show us his craft.

I don't see him playing Bond lite action heroes in films that barely reach the cinema.

I guess we'll be seeing reviews of Knives Out tomorrow, they must be quite confident with this having it premiering months before it goes on wide release at the end of November.

If the studio thought they had a disaster, I doubt they'd agree to have it premiere at a high profile film festival like TFF.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Quite right @Shardlake. The premier is being held fifteen minutes away (via streetcar). I will be wandering over a couple of hours before the 6 pm start time to see if I can catch our man on the red carpet
    peter wrote: »
    Quite right @Shardlake. The premier is being held fifteen minutes away (via streetcar). I will be wandering over a couple of hours before the 6 pm start time to see if I can catch our man on the red carpet

That would be great Peter, I'm sure you'll let me know if you succeed.

• peterpeter Toronto
    I was successful!!! Saw the man!!! U have a pic in your inbox and more on Instagram. If any rabid Craig fans would like to see the man in action, please DM or else I may just pass the pics onto one of our techie guys and have them put them on this site (I’ve never been successful at doing it, lol)
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 17,241
    peter wrote: »
    I was successful!!! Saw the man!!! U have a pic in your inbox and more on Instagram. If any rabid Craig fans would like to see the man in action, please DM or else I may just pass the pics onto one of our techie guys and have them put them on this site (I’ve never been successful at doing it, lol)

You can post a direct link to the Instagram images in a comment. No need for embedding or anything like that! ;-)
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited September 2019 Posts: 2,630
    From @peter

• peterpeter Toronto
    @AgentJamesBond007 went on my instagram and will pull them over to this site.

As I said to Agent, more will be incoming, once I calm down. I have been in meetings with actors and I have been an outsider introduced to others (Pacino, Cage), but I lost my sh*t when I saw Craig step out of the limo
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    It’s still early and festival reviews aren’t the most reliable I don’t think, but it seems like the audience at TIFF really enjoyed Knives Out.