The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• That's actually one of the few movies in 2019 I'm curious to see. I like murder mysteries.

Same. Big fan of Looper as well so I'm interested.

I think Craig is probably the best actor to have played Bond so it's weird how poor most of his other stuff has been since he took over. Most of his best none Bond work (OFITN, Layer Cake) came before he was cast. A lot of the stuff he's done since has been dire imo and he hasn't done much at all the last few years. Which is weird because he's been a very popular James Bond and the most critically acclaimed one since Connery, so I'm sure he gets offers. But he doesn't do many films. Fair play to him, he's probably happy just enjoying his money and doing bits of theatre, but it's a shame imo because the few films he has done since becoming Bond usually tend to be poor (to be fair I haven't seen Logan Lucky actually, I know that's supposed to be good). Just seems like a bit of a waste of his talents.

I'd like to see him in more stuff. He's a great actor. Still lives in London doesn't he so maybe after Bond he could have a Sean Bean sort of career. Balancing the occasional Hollywood film with British stuff. I'd love to see him back on British TV again actually doing something he can really sink his teeth into, working with Jimmy Mcgovern or Russell T Davies or someone.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    That's actually one of the few movies in 2019 I'm curious to see. I like murder mysteries.

I think Craig is probably the best actor to have played Bond so it's weird how poor most of his other stuff has been since he took over. Most of his best none Bond work (OFITN, Layer Cake) came before he was cast. A lot of the stuff he's done since has been dire imo and he hasn't done much at all the last few years. Which is weird because he's been a very popular James Bond and the most critically acclaimed one since Connery, so I'm sure he gets offers. But he doesn't do many films. Fair play to him, he's probably happy just enjoying his money and doing bits of theatre, but it's a shame imo because the few films he has done since becoming Bond usually tend to be poor (to be fair I haven't seen Logan Lucky actually, I know that's supposed to be good). Just seems like a bit of a waste of his talents.

I'd like to see him in more stuff. He's a great actor. Still lives in London doesn't he so maybe after Bond he could have a Sean Bean sort of career. Balancing the occasional Hollywood film with British stuff. I'd love to see him back on British TV again actually doing something he can really sink his teeth into, working with Jimmy Mcgovern or Russell T Davies or someone.

DC on TV would be great, not forgetting Fincher's TGWDT, it's subjective but I thought DC's Blomvist was by far the most convincing literary faithful version. It's only Rapace that stands out in the Swedish version for me, Fincher's film is in another class and definitely the best film DC has been in outside of his time in Bond.

Logan Lucky is OK, DC is definitely a standout and outside of his comfort zone, shows a real talent for comedy in this, you've not seen him like this before I assure you.

I'm not going to get my hopes right up for Knives Out as I thought DC would make that splash into films outside Bond before and outside TGWTDT he's not. Though I feel the stars have aligned on this one, the cast is terrific and a world-weary detective sounds like something Dan will have a ball with, to see a proper modern day whodunnit done properly is something that gets me quite excited.

Although as it is with the internet the Rian Johnson factor has some calling this rubbish already due to him ruining their lives with TLJ. I hated SPECTRE but if there was a film that Mendes approached that I was genuinely interested in I wouldn't boycott it because of that.

If Sam was to dip his toe in another genre or take on a project I felt invested in I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, I mean I loved SF and his back cat shows he's a talented film maker. To be honest some of these hurt SW fanboys probably hadn't even heard of RJ before he was announced to direct TLJ. Now they are dismissing this film which is completely different to that because he didn't deliver the film they had in their heads.

Fair enough you didn't like TLJ but dismissing a totally different type of film because of the director that you most likely had no prior knowledge up to that point, oh well that is the worldwide web for you.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    That's actually one of the few movies in 2019 I'm curious to see. I like murder mysteries.

Given Rachel's comments re: the baby, I'm wondering if that has been his main priority the past few years. Both of them have taken on roles filmed close to their homes and with a really quick turn around. As soon as the baby came along, he's straight back to work with back-to-back films.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

What Bond did is allow DC to experiment and do what he wants without needing every film to be a huge success. TGWTDT is DC at his best, and I would argue that it is the best performance by a Bond actor in a non-Bond film during his tenure. (Brosnan in The Thomas Crown Affair is up there too).

I liked Cowboys and Aliens (a big film) and Defiance (a small film).
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 12,256
    https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/gallery/best-daniel-craig-bond-films

An interesting, somewhat controversial ranking of Craig's Bond outings.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/gallery/best-daniel-craig-bond-films

An interesting, somewhat controversial ranking of Craig's Bond outings.

Quite refreshing.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, surprisingly refreshing.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    Indeed controversial.

Bond wasn't really seeking revenge in QoS in my opinion. He was seeking answers and solace.

He's incorrect about the film being a precursor to the continuity driven films we have today as well. That was going on in major franchises long prior to QoS. Bond films just used to stay away from that before QoS, and thankfully in my view.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Indeed controversial.

Bond wasn't really seeking revenge in QoS in my opinion. He was seeking answers and solace.

He's incorrect about the film being a precursor to the continuity driven films we have today as well. That was going on in major franchises long prior to QoS. Bond films just used to stay away from that before QoS, and thankfully in my view.

If you ask me, QOS should have been the only connected Craig film. They should have gone back to standalone films afterwards. It worked for SF.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Remington wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Indeed controversial.

If you ask me, QOS should have been the only connected Craig film. They should have gone back to standalone films afterwards. It worked for SF.
    Even though I would have preferred if they didn't do that with this film either, I agree that after it was attempted they should have moved on from this approach. That's what I understood everyone wanted at the time too (I remember Craig commenting that he was happy to be done with that element of the story for good, but he expressed it in his usual colourful manner).
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,554
    It sure is curious how QoS has been looked at quite differently as time passes. I always thought the film got a raw deal. Though for me, it needed a little more charm, a little more Fields, a little more Leiter, I thought it packed a wallop.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,541
    Loved about what he said - “It’d be a pretty cold bastard who didn’t want revenge for someone he loved" they built the entire film on that line
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I feel like QOS could've used 20 or so minutes to flesh out its characters a little bit more and allow the action scenes to settle itself. The Bond girls of this film were underdeveloped and I feel like the villains (Elvis and Greene) could've done more to establish themselves.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I feel like QOS could've used 20 or so minutes to flesh out its characters a little bit more and allow the action scenes to settle itself. The Bond girls of this film were underdeveloped and I feel like the villains (Elvis and Greene) could've done more to establish themselves.

One of the issues with the Craig films is that they were either too long or too short.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Daniel Craig to star in Todd Field’s The Creed of Violence

http://collider.com/daniel-craig-todd-field-the-creed-of-violence/

Set in 1910 during the Mexican Revolution, The Creed of Violence follows an assassin named Rawbone (Craig) and a young government agent named John Lourdes as they travel from Texas to Mexico to stop a smuggling ring.
    Craig looked good and ready to go at this year's Oscars.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It's a one-night "reading." Not sure how he'll manage to do this with Bond 25 upcoming. This must be occurring prior to when filming begins.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TripAces wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It's a one-night "reading." Not sure how he'll manage to do this with Bond 25 upcoming. This must be occurring prior to when filming begins.

The article says March 10th, so yes.
    A quick trip home to see the wife and kid, do the reading, and then return to start filming. That doesn't seem strange at all. Good for him.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 4,554
    I didn't expect DC to be mentioned in here but he is (though not directly) ...

Happy Birthday, Mr. Craig!
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 3,126
    didn't really get this scene what was bond meaning?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Do you mean concerning religion or her status as single?
    talos7 wrote: »

Religion
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited March 2019 Posts: 7,959

Religion

Personally, I think that is more of a throw away line, part of the banter, and not meant to be taken to seriously ; if looked at more literally, I guess the whole subject of the Catholic Church and it’s stance in pre-marital sex could come into play.
    The real substance, where Bond becomes more serious and less glib, is mentioning that Vesper is not his type because she’s single. The implication is that Bond doesn’t want the emotional entanglements of being involved with s single woman. Married women are less complicated because in most cases they’re only looking for an afternoon diversion.

Religion

Personally, I think that is more of a throw away line, part of the banter, and not meant to be taken to seriously ; if looked at more literally, I guess the whole subject of the Catholic Church and it’s stance in pre-marital sex could come into play.
    The real substance, where Bond becomes more serious and less glib, is mentioning that Vesper is not his type because she’s single. The implication is that Bond doesn’t want the emotional entanglements of being involved with s single woman. Married women are less complicated because in most cases they’re only looking for an afternoon diversion.

Ok
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Damn, Craig is really greasy in that scene.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Damn, Craig is really greasy in that scene.
    I remember someone said he looked like a swollen tomato. Must have been ill that day.