The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Remington wrote: »
    I don't recall reading a scene that parallels this in any of the leaked scripts, but I wonder if this was actually shot or just happens to be a BTS promotional still from Spectre.

CbNfph2WAAEtISG.jpg-large.jpg
    I think I read somewhere that that was a deleted scene.
    I know there was a scene where Madeleine was baffled that Bond was travelling with a tuxedo in his spare, but didn't catch a glimpse of Bond dressing up.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Yes it was a deleted scene I read about it in leaked script and there was another scene were Hinx boarded train with them.
    I better check it, again.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Remington wrote: »
    I don't recall reading a scene that parallels this in any of the leaked scripts, but I wonder if this was actually shot or just happens to be a BTS promotional still from Spectre.

CbNfph2WAAEtISG.jpg-large.jpg
    I think I read somewhere that that was a deleted scene.
    I know there was a scene where Madeleine was baffled that Bond was travelling with a tuxedo in his spare, but didn't catch a glimpse of Bond dressing up.
    Yes it was a deleted scene I read about it in leaked script and there was another scene were Hinx boarded train with them.
    Both scenes would have helped the film imho. I've always felt that Hinx suddenly appearing doesn't work too well and needed more setup. Similarly a tuxedo scene prior to the dinner carriage sequence could have helped to set up the post fight intimacy between Bond and Madeline, which I've also always found too sudden (and yes, I've heard the arguments for the sudden passion, but it doesn't work for me).

Having said that, the scene from above may have been too similar to the hotel room scene in CR, which was a fantastic scene btw (Eva without her Goth eyeliner is truly a sight to behold).
  • peterpeter Toronto

Yes, I believe this deleted scene was quite good when I read it. Very subtle in its nod to the past and the present:

Madeleine comes into his cabin while he dresses. She admires the jacket but asks why it's white.

"Named after your father, perhaps?"

"No seriously" she says through a giggle.

"There are dinner jackets, and there are dinner jackets," nods over at his, "That's the latter."

Madeleine points at his gun holster, "Must you always wear that thing?"

And so on... it was a lovely scene...
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I wasn't aware that they even used the same line in the deleted scene. Just the photo above evoked that great CR scene for me.

Now that I know, I'm glad they didn't use it, because I already felt too many similarities between CR and SP with the dinner carriage scene (including nudges about having a choice etc.).
  • peter wrote: »

Yes, I believe this deleted scene was quite good when I read it. Very subtle in its nod to the past and the present:

Madeleine comes into his cabin while he dresses. She admires the jacket but asks why it's white.

"There are dinner jackets, and there are dinner jackets," nods over at his, "That's the latter."

Yikes.

That is some bad writing....featuring one hell of a desperate strain to reference CR and why the hell would Madeline giggle at the suggestion of her father's code name for killing people?! I know she wasn't the greatest written character but this scene further examples the notion that SP's writers phoned it in.

Also, we don't know the context of Knives Out or Bond 25 yet. There may be a reason Craig looks like that. There may be important character reasons why Bond needs to look older and more grizzled. I'd be kind of down for seeing a bearded Bond in the next film. Craig suits stubble.

?width=630&version=343124
  • peterpeter Toronto
    bondjames wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that they even used the same line in the deleted scene. Just the photo above evoked that great CR scene for me.

Now that I know, I'm glad they didn't use it, because I already felt too many similarities between CR and SP with the dinner carriage scene (including nudges about having a choice etc.).

That scene was my poor attempt at humour.

If it was anything close to that I would have dropped to the cinema floor, curling into the fetal position, rocking myself into a gentle sleep, hoping that when I awoke, the scene was just a bad dream and didn't exist.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

Yikes.

That is some bad writing....featuring one hell of a desperate strain to reference CR and why the hell would Madeline giggle at the suggestion of her father's code name for killing people?! I know she wasn't the greatest written character but this scene further examples the notion that SP's writers phoned it in.

Also, we don't know the context of Knives Out or Bond 25 yet. There may be a reason Craig looks like that. There may be important character reasons why Bond needs to look older and more grizzled. I'd be kind of down for seeing a bearded Bond in the next film. Craig suits stubble.

I should have saved this one up for April Fools...!

Yikes.

I should have saved this one up for April Fools...!
    :))
    bondjames wrote: »

That scene was my poor attempt at humour.

If it was anything close to that I would have dropped to the cinema floor, curling into the fetal position, rocking myself into a gentle sleep, hoping that when I awoke, the scene was just a bad dream and didn't exist.
    Ah, I see. You'll forgive me for being a little slow on the uptake, but as mentioned there was something so trite and familiar about everything in that train carriage sequence for me (white dinner jacket, the dialogue, the fight with the thug, the overhead kick, the post-fight coitus etc. etc.) that it wasn't so hard to believe. The callbacks were just too obvious for me, and coming after similar nods to prior films during the plane chase and car chase among other things, it was too much. Fight itself was brutal enough though.
    Much of the scene I recall from the script(s) play as in the final product, only difference is that Bond and Madeleine have a joint cabin rather than two separate ones. Before Bond gives his tuxedo to the bellboy, Madeleine spots the tuxedo and asks Bond "You always travel with a tuxedo?" to which Bond simply responds with an "Of course."

There's nothing alarming in that scene. Lol!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Much of the scene I recall from the script(s) play as in the final product, only difference is that Bond and Madeleine have a joint cabin rather than two separate ones. Before Bond gives his tuxedo to the bellboy, Madeleine spots the tuxedo and asks Bond "You always travel with a tuxedo?" to which Bond simply responds with an "Of course."

I like my scene better, lol!

I like my scene better, lol!
    So do I. :))
    I wouldn't have mind if hinx was shown properly boarded train with them and came when we least expect it.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I think the deleted scene with Hinx was filmed as well. After Bond hands the employee his tuxedo, the camera keeps moving to the next room where Hinx is before abruptly cutting to Bond. It's been a while since I watched it so I could be mistaken.
    It was actually in the leaked script like this- "The valet carries the tuxedo along the corridor revealing Hinx in a neighbouring compartment". Later - " Bond hangs his tux on the back of the door, smiles to himself".
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I would have liked a casual reveal of Hinx; it would have created a a tension that would have benefited the sequence.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Yes, just a glimpse of him would have made the scene more suspenseful.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    talos7 wrote: »
    I would have liked a casual reveal of Hinx; it would have created a a tension that would have benefited the sequence.

I needed some sort of explanation as to why Hinx was there at all. Blofeld was eagerly awaiting and planning Bond's arrival at the crater. Furthermore, Hinx's pursuit of Madeleine didn't make much sense either. His only job was to take care of the Pale King. Hinx found him dead--so, mission accomplished.

I can assume, reasonably, that Hinx was asked to tie up White's loose ends, too. But even so, he could have killed Madeleine on the train without Bond ever knowing it.

I just think Hinx went rogue. And it would have been nice for Blofeld to deliver a line to that effect. "I'm sorry about all the fuss caused by my friend, Mr. Hinx. He took on some job responsibilities that weren't part of his contract."
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    The 50 Best-Dressed Men of 2019
    https://gq-magazine.co.uk/gallery/best-dressed-men-2019

DC is listed at No. 36.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    The 50 Best-Dressed Men of 2019
    https://gq-magazine.co.uk/gallery/best-dressed-men-2019

DC is listed at No. 36.

Everything I wear is modeled after DC...in fact, today I am wearing a black knit shawl cardigan, with a white dress shirt, tan Levis 514 jeans, and dark brown suede desert boots (the QoS outfit). I think his style has slacked a little the past couple of years. But from 2006-2015, he almost always looked terrific.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I tried to ape his style for the longest time after QoS, he was always looking sharp around that time, both in and out of the films.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Rian Johnson's Knives Out with Daniel Craig has an official release date: November 27, 2019.
  • Ana De Armas’ Instagram post hints that Knives Out finishes filming sometime this week. It looks as though the film has had its wrap party already and she posted a photo of her clowning around with the cast (including Craig):

I know Craig has been looking a tad out-of-shape recently – and I’m sure he’ll use the next 2 and a bit months to hit the gym – but be aware that we don’t actually know the story direction of Bond 25. It might be that Eon want to do ‘Old Man Bond’. Hugh Jackman looked very different in ‘Logan’ compared to his other ‘X-Men’ films.

I know there is a contingent of fans who dislike Craig’s more earnest and thoughtful Bond – but, you have one more film till the inevitable reboot which will probably be more escapist and Marvel-like. Personally, I much prefer the Craig era.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Craig looks good in that picture. And compelling.

Hope he saves some for BOND 25.
    Ana De Armas’ Instagram post hints that Knives Out finishes filming sometime this week. It looks as though the film has had its wrap party already and she posted a photo of her clowning around with the cast (including Craig):

I know Craig has been looking a tad out-of-shape recently – and I’m sure he’ll use the next 2 and a bit months to hit the gym – but be aware that we don’t actually know the story direction of Bond 25. It might be that Eon want to do ‘Old Man Bond’. Hugh Jackman looked very different in ‘Logan’ compared to his other ‘X-Men’ films.

I know there is a contingent of fans who dislike Craig’s more earnest and thoughtful Bond – but, you have one more film till the inevitable reboot which will probably be more escapist and Marvel-like. Personally, I much prefer the Craig era.

LOVE IT!!!!!!
    It'll be a good film.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    That's actually one of the few movies in 2019 I'm curious to see. I like murder mysteries.