Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

Comments

• Murdock wrote: »
    Here in the states Chav's are called hipsters. :))

Nah chavs
    These trailers display the absolutely worst type of people Britain has to offer to the world: chavs and men in suits who behave like it's still the 50s. I simply don't find this stuff funny at all...
  • Murdock wrote: »

Nah, chavs and hipsters aren't the same thing, we have hipsters over here too. Dunno what the US equivalent to a chav would be.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I actually usually like Matthew Vaughn but he's lost me with this one.

Trailers look a bit cheesey but trailers often make a film look worse than it is. I don't think we should judge until we see it, especially since the reaction from people who have seen bits of the film is very positive.
    RC7 wrote: »
    It's a shame Pierce won't be in it. (He's in the comic, for those who haven't read it).

Maybe he is but they're keeping his involvement a secret so it's a surprise cameo for those of us who haven't read the comic. They didn't advertise him in The Worlds End either but he was in that.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Murdock wrote: »

Nah, chavs and hipsters aren't the same thing, we have hipsters over here too. Dunno what the US equivalent to a chav would be.
    I actually usually like Matthew Vaughn but he's lost me with this one.

Trailers look a bit cheesey but trailers often make a film look worse than it is. I don't think we should judge until we see it, especially since the reaction from people who have seen bits of the film is very positive.
    It's a shame Pierce won't be in it. (He's in the comic, for those who haven't read it).

Maybe he is but they're keeping his involvement a secret so it's a surprise cameo for those of us who haven't read the comic. They didn't advertise him in The Worlds End either but he was in that.

If any movie could do with some sweet James Bond stunt casting, this is it! :)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
  • I knew this would be good. Looks like I wasn't wrong to have faith after all, thanks @talos7. This is going to be a fantastic film, can't wait to see it. My favourite bit of the reviews was this

"The fifth and, yes, best film from [director Matthew Vaughn], “Kingsman: The Secret Service” is a startlingly enjoyable and well-made action film leavened by humor and slicked along by style, made by, for, and about people who’ve seen far too many Bond films"

:D
  • 100% on rottentomatoes atm. The reviews have made me even more excited for this, I hope it gets a sequel if it's good.
    Saw this tonight - my review here: http://avindustries.co.uk/post/107729362176/kingsman-the-secret-service-review-train-of

TL;DR - sets the bar REALLY high for this year. Extremely enjoyable and satisfying. Trailers definitely don't do this film justice. 2015's GOTG for spy movies to be very blunt but better in a lot of if not every aspect.

The big centrepiece is the chemistry between Firth and Egerton, they do everything brilliantly, from the big action scenes to the more dramatically heavy stuff.
  • Thanks for that @antovolk. Can't wait to see this.

It's out on the 12th in the UK, which is lucky because I want to see it opening night and my wife never would've agreed to that if it was coming out on Valentines day :P

This is by far my most anticipated film of the year atm (SPECTRE is going to be brilliant but it's too far away for me to really get pumped up for, this one is right around the corner). Can't wait.
    Thanks for that @antovolk. Can't wait to see this.

It's out on the 12th in the UK, which is lucky because I want to see it opening night and my wife never would've agreed to that if it was coming out on Valentines day :P

This is by far my most anticipated film of the year atm (SPECTRE is going to be brilliant but it's too far away for me to really get pumped up for, this one is right around the corner). Can't wait.

Actually no, it's out January 29 in the UK :)

Was only open yesterday IIRC :(
  • RC7RC7
    antovolk wrote: »

Was only open yesterday IIRC :(

Ah, balls. Never mind.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I expected the success of this film. It's basically a Bond spoof (references to "You Only Live Twice", "Austin Powers", Moore's Bond films from the 70's) packed into a dark comedy/crime thriller a la "Snatch", "Kick-Ass" and "Layer Cake".

And because it can be compared with so many movies, it's actually rather unique. It maintains a movie with its own heart.

The "Spy/Action" movies of 2015 ("SPECTRE" included):
    09.01.2015: "Taken 3" (action, thriller) --> with Liam Neeson, already very good reviews
    16.01.2015: "Blackhat" (espionage, thriller) --> with Chris Hemsworth
    13.02.2015: "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (action, spy spoof) --> director Matthew Vaughn
    20.03.2015: "The Gunman" (espionage, thriller) --> with Javier Bardem
    03.04.2015: "Furious 7" (action, thriller) --> with the late Paul Walker
    22.05.2015: "Spy" (spy spoof) --> with Melissa McCarthy as Susan Cooper
    31.07.2015: "Grimsby" (spy spoof) --> with Sacha Baron Cohen, Mark Strong and Penélope Cruz (!)
    14.08.2015: "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." (espionage, action) --> directed by Guy Ritchie[/color]
    28.08.2015: "Hitman 2: Agent 47" (action, thriller) --> with Zachary Quinto
    02.10.2015: "London Has Fallen" (action, thriller) --> with Morgan Freeman
    16.10.2015: "St. James Place" (espionage, thriller) --> director Steven Spielberg
    06.11.2015: "Bond 24: SPECTRE" (espionage, thriller) --> directed by Sam Mendes
    12.11.2015: "Survivor" (espionage, thriller) --> with Pierce Brosnan, director James McTeigue
    25.12.2015: "Mission: Impossible 5" (espionage, thriller) --> with Tom Cruise

in blue --> The movies that could pass the $1.50 Billion Dollar mark
    in green --> The movies that could pass the $1.00 Billion Dollar mark
    in purple --> The movies that could pass the $750 Million Dollar mark
    in red --> The movies that will could the $500 Million Dollar mark

So which of the above 14 "spy" movies will be in your "TOP 5 Must See List"?

"Taken 3": Liam Neeson returns in his 3rd outing as ex-covert operative Bryan Mills. This time he's out on revenge as his ex-wife (Famke Janssen) gets killed.
    Also starring: Forest Whitaker, Dougray Scott
    570_Liam-Neeson-discusses-the-possibility-of-Taken-3-3531.jpg

"Blackhat": A man (Chris Hemsworth) is released from prison to help American and Chinese authorities pursue a mysterious cyber criminal. The dangerous search leads them from Chicago to Hong Kong.
    Also starring: Viola Davis, William Mapother
    Chris.jpg

"Kingsman: The Secret Service": Directed by Matthew Vaugh. A veteran secret agent takes a young upstart under his wing. Based on the succesful comic book series "The Secret Service".
    Also starring: Colin Firth, Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Caine
    Kingsman-the-movie.jpg

"The Gunman": An international spy (Sean Penn) must clear his name in order to save himself from the organization that he used to work for. Only then so he can settle down with his longtime love.
    Also starring: Idris Elba (rumored to play James Bond), Javier Bardem
    the-gunman234.jpg

"Furious 7": The 7th and last installment of the franchise featuring the late Paul Walker as Brian O'Connor. But it is Deckard Shaw (Jason Statham) who seeks revenge for the death of his brother.
    Also starring: Kurt Russell, Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson
    PHDVYHkR2Vi2HH_1_m.jpg

"Spy": Actress and comedian Melissa McCarthy ("The Heat", "Saturday Night Live") is becoming troubled secret agent Susan Cooper. Usually a deskbound CIA-analist, but now she needs to take over work from a compromised spy.
    Also starring: Jude Law, Jason Statham, Rose Byrne
    0.jpg

"Grimsby": A new assignment forces a top spy to team up with his football hooligan brother. And that football hooligan is played by Sacha Baron Cohen.
    Also starring: Mark Strong, Penelope Cruz
    Sacha-Baron-Cohen-Grimsby-2.jpg

"The Man From U.N.C.L.E.": After 50 years absence, secret agent from U.N.C.L.E., Napoleon Solo (an Ian Fleming character), returns. It is the early 1960s, and Solo joins KGB operative Illya Kuryakin to participate in a joint mission against a sinister syndicate. Directed by Guy Ritchie
    Also starring: Henry Cavill, Jared Harris, Hugh Grant
    article-2426517-1BEBD380000005DC-540_634x918.jpg

"Hitman 2: Agent 47": Rupert Friends steps in the shoes of hitman, secret agent 47, after Timothy Olyphant left. Agent 47 teams up with a woman to help her find her father and uncover the mysteries of her ancestry.
    Also starring: Ciarán Hinds, Zachary Quinto
    Hitman-Agent-47-Movie-2.jpg

"London Has Fallen": Gerard Butler (TND) returns for his 2nd outing as US agent Mike Banning. This time he discovers a plot during the funeral of the British PM to assassinate all the attending world leaders.
    Also starring: Gerard Butler, Melissa Leo, Morgan Freeman
    Gerard-Butler.jpg

"St. James Place": It is based on the 1960 U-2 Incident, in which James Donovan (Tom Hanks) is thrust into the center of the Cold War when he is given a mission to negotiate the release of Francis Gary Powers, a pilot whose plane was shot down in the Soviet Union. Directed by Steven Spielberg. Written by the Coen Brothers
    Also starring: Sebastian Koch, Amy Ryan, Mark Rylance
    1410276404400_wps_96_Tom_Hanks_shoots_scenes_f.jpg

"SPECTRE": The 24th Bond film starts with a cryptic message from Bond's past. It sends him on a trail to uncover a sinister organization. Bond peels back the layers of deceit to reveal a terrible and sinister truth behind S.P.E.C.T.R.E.
    Also starring: Daniel Craig, Léa Seydoux, Christoph Waltz, Dave Bautista. Directed by Sam Mendes
    daniel-craig-bond-15dec14-01.jpg

"Survivior": A Foreign Secret Service Officer in London (Milla Jovovich) tries to prevent a terrorist attack set in New York, but is forced to go on the run after she is framed for crimes she didn't commit.
    Also starring: Pierce Brosnan, Emma Thompson, Angela Bassett
    Survivivor+Teaser+Poster.jpg

"Mission: Impossible 5": It is the fifth film in the Mission: Impossible-franchise. Tom Cruise reprises his role as IMF secret agent Ethan Hunt. He will be joined by his IMF-team once again.
    Also starring: Jeremy Renner, Paula Patton, Alec Baldwin, Simon Pegg, Rebecca Ferguson, Ving Rhames
    193960.jpg
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    5. MI:5 - loved the last one, great locations and stunts (dare I say, both better than in recent Bond's...)
    4. Man from UNCLE - cast a bit meh but love that 60's style
    3. Blackhat - looks great from the trailer, Mann usually delivers too
    2. Kingsman - looks a lot of fun and stylish to boot. Vaughan was no.1 on my wish list for Bond after seeing the way he dealt with the Fassbender's 'hunting Nazis' scene in X-Men First Class.
    1. Spectre....obviously
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Wow, I didn't realise just how many films of the genre are being released this year. I'll try to see them all. Kingsman comes out on my birthday so I'll definitely be seeing that. It looks great and I do hope MY gets to direct a Craig Bond movie.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,043
    Being a Mann fan I had high hopes for Blackhat but the reviews have not been promising.

I'm glad Kingsman is out there to sate those missing the more OTT Bond adventures but this film is not for me, I saw the trailer when we went to see Gone Girl and was left cold.
    Also comments on every other bus that goes past advertising it like "More Badass than Bond" from Alex Zane don't sell it to me.

Out of all of those mentioned Spectre is the only one I intend catching on the big screen, blockbusters are just not appealing to me anymore, Interstellar was a huge disappointment and apart from Bond and The Force Awakens I can't see much in 2015's overcrowded blockbuster roster that really makes me want to part with my cash to see it on the big screen.

Possibly the new Spielberg with Hanks but that would be about it.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,441
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't realise just how many films of the genre are being released this year. I'll try to see them all. Kingsman comes out on my birthday so I'll definitely be seeing that. It looks great and I do hope MY gets to direct a Craig Bond movie.

Taken 3 and The Kingsmen are 2014 movies, but moost of time released in 2015 in other country's. Mi5 wil be released in some country's in 2016. But stil it a lot, whyle i think that there wil a lot of them who wil not get much promotion/fail at boxoffice.
    Being a Mann fan I had high hopes for Blackhat but the reviews have not been promising.

I'm glad Kingsman is out there to sate those missing the more OTT Bond adventures but this film is not for me, I saw the trailer when we went to see Gone Girl and was left cold.
    Also comments on every other bus that goes past advertising it like "More Badass than Bond" from Alex Zane don't sell it to me.

Out of all of those mentioned Spectre is the only one I intend catching on the big screen, blockbusters are just not appealing to me anymore, Interstellar was a huge disappointment and apart from Bond and The Force Awakens I can't see much in 2015's overcrowded blockbuster roster that really makes me want to part with my cash to see it on the big screen.

Possibly the new Spielberg with Hanks but that would be about it.

And "The Gunman", with Javier Bardem and Sean Penn? I think it's a more realistic spy thriller. It's directed by the man behind "Before Sunset" and "The Dreamers", so expect some beautiful camerawork as well.

And the Steven Spielberg spy thriller.....don't forget the screenplay is from the Coen Brothers. This could be quite the realistic espionage we recently saw with "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" and "A Most Wanted Man".
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,164
    @shardlake the trailers really undersold/missold the film IMO. I don't know if you've seen some of Vaughn's previous work (most notably in ref to Kingsman which @M_Balje is 2015 as it isn't out anywhere until this month, Kick-Ass and X-Men: FC) but if you enjoyed those, you'll really like this film. It's not Austin Powers type OTT parody, it's a spy film in its own right, and even though it has some OTT stuff which you're 100% sold on, it has its brilliant dramatically deep and tense moments too.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    antovolk wrote: »
    @shardlake the trailers really undersold/missold the film IMO. I don't know if you've seen some of Vaughn's previous work (most notably in ref to Kingsman which @M_Balje is 2015 as it isn't out anywhere until this month, Kick-Ass and X-Men: FC) but if you enjoyed those, you'll really like this film. It's not Austin Powers type OTT parody, it's a spy film in its own right, and even though it has some OTT stuff which you're 100% sold on, it has its brilliant dramatic and tense moments too.

I do like Vaughn although X-men FC did seem not so good in the light the return of Bryan Singer to the franchise with DOFP, which was an altogether more satisfying film than it's predecessor.

I did enjoy Kick Ass but something about it doesn't gel with me, maybe a rental, not been to the cinema since Interstellar and I can't see when I'll be going again, it's just too expensive, I'm open to being proved wrong when I see it though
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,797
    I literally can't wait to see this in the cinema. It's the premiere at the Odeon in Leicester Square, London tonight and Take That are performing their song for the film there (according to Heart Radio of London). 2015 is going to be a very good year for spy films. :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Due to the reviews, and now I understand the premise better, I am really looking forward to this one!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It looks good.
    Bar fight scene

despite it being a little OTT, this was a great and entertain fight; better than the rubbish we got in SF.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,164
    @doubleoego wait till you see the church scene...and the scene that will probably become the new epic
    mind-blown
    meme/gif :D As Mark Strong's character says in his epic Scottish accent immediately after, "fooking spectatulah"!
    edited January 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Yeah?? I was eager to see this but now I'm itching like crazy to see it even more!

Edit: I just saw bits of the church scene in a feature clip and it looks deliciously bananas. MY really needs to direct a Bond movie.
    Bar fight scene

despite it being a little OTT, this was a great and entertain fight; better than the rubbish we got in SF.

Now take it easy :-). Despite being it a great and entertaining fight sequence, I do think stuff like that belongs in this fantastic first Kingsman-movie, not in James Bond.

Because how entertaining that fight scene in Kingsman is, it still is an odd mixture of gangsta rap vs. a way too thick sauce of a "Bond" style that we actually never saw in a Bond film. And compared to the more realistic fight sequences in SF, it are actually special effects, Matrix-esque slow motion shots, and other over-enhanced cinematography choices that focus on visuals instead of realism. Not to mention the use of that umbrella. Although it had a cameo in FYEO, it should forever stay a cameo. I really can't see Bond using such a ridiculous weapon. Nor can I see Bond fighting a bunch of football hooligans.

And I do wholeheartedly disagree with you that the fight sequences in SF were rubbish. I loved them. The fight sequence in Kingsman is a fight sequence for Kingsman. Different, but also equally good. In its own way. Just not for Bond. Period.

If Matthew Vaughn is considered doing a Bond film, then I think he will have a difficult time working within the constraints of the Bond franchise. Because he really used Kingsman as an instrument, as a vehicle for his own fantasies. You can't do that with Bond. Martín Campbell knew that, Peter Hunt did, even Sam Mendes does know that.

So how fantastic Kingsman may be, and I think it's going to be a hit, which I predicted many times, it is NOT a Bond film. Comparing it with Bond is what everyone will do, but as you can read in this post one needs to be nuanced and careful when comparing it to a Bond film.
    With respect, I don't think I need to take anything easy. I'm well within my right to express my enthusiasm about the movie and the fight scene itself. You of all people should know and appreciate that. However, as expressed, the fight is a little OTT and as you said works for the movie but the degree of violence in the fight, the slickness and creativity of it is entertaining and satisfying and resonates with me better than any fight that took place in SF.
    With respect, I don't think I need to take anything easy. I'm well within my right to express my enthusiasm about the movie and the fight scene itself. You of all people should know and appreciate that. However, as expressed, the fight is a little OTT and as you said works for the movie but the degree of violence in the fight, the slickness and creativity of it is entertaining and satisfying and resonates with me better than any fight that took place in SF.

I sad "Take it easy" with a big friendly smile buddy, so don't worry too much about that ;-). I think this is also a matter of taste. And taste doesn't necessarily mean something is less or more creative. The stunt choreographers for SF were also very creative. Hence fighting in the dark, like in FRWL. Alas, that creativity didn't capture your taste. You didn't like it, I loved it.

In any case, you are clearly a Kingsman fan ;-). Lovely to see that. There will be more Kingsman movies huh? Did you know that? It's only the first film of an entire franchise.