Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @ClarkDevlin, I agree that Cavill (almost) saved it. I didn't have a problem with him in the film, but as I've said before elsewhere, there was something missing (in addition to a credible Ilya) for me. It came across like actors reading a part rather than embodying the characters. Surface gloss. A better, more consequential script may have avoided this.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    And you're right, @bondjames. The lead actors did seem like they were reading their parts rather than embodying them, and that's very obvious. The film's atmosphere saves it for me, however. Just like the case was for The Avengers (1998).
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    It's interesting that you mention the 1998 Avengers film @ClarkDevlin, because to a degree TMFU reminds me very much of that effort (at least in terms of the leads trying to reflect the greats who they were emulating). Now that I think about it, Hammer may have decided to take a different approach so as not to create direct (and potentially unfavourable) comparisons with McCallum.

I agree that it was a classy looking film with a great score.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Precisely, @bondjames!

The one cast member I can say that excelled at the part she was playing was Elizabeth Debicki. It was the first time ever I saw her in anything but have been a fan of her ever since. She played the villainess in the image of what would be a villainess in a Disney princess film like the Maleficent character, for instance, and that's why I loved it. In many other ways, as well, she reminded me of Daniela Bianchi in the third official Agent 077 film, Special Operation Lady Chaplin.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @ClarkDevlin I'm a huge fan of Debecki as well. She's a great actress, and quite demure yet statuesque.

She was amazing in the The Night Manager (I actually preferred her there to TMFU).

She's 6ft 3, so unfortunately can't be a Bond girl for the time being, but I'd love to see her get a role in a future film once they recast.
    She'd be perfect for a character like Victoria Hunt. A character from the Bond comic entitled Hammerhead. You should get a copy of that, @bondjames.
    Will do @ClarkDevlin, and thanks for the recommendation.

She has a very classy old school vibe to her.
    Indeed! And you're welcome!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited February 2018 Posts: 7,969
    Personally I completely agree with @ClarkDevlin views on this, with the added bonus of not beeing hampered by the passion for the old series (I only ever saw parts of episodes) and the addition of beeing very impressed by Alcia Vikander's acting (next to Debicki).
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I didn't know where else to put this link:

Basically, a Kingsman universe cometh.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/kick-ass-reboot-kingsman-universe-coming-matthew-vaughn-new-studio-exclusive/
    Happy for Kingsman 3, couldn’t care less for anything Statesman. My guess is a prequel has a former Bond as the villain or Arthur.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/kick-ass-reboot-kingsman-universe-coming-matthew-vaughn-new-studio-exclusive/

A trilogy sounds about right, and the early 1900s setting might just be different enough for that spinoff to work.

Outside of that it just seems like milking it massively imo, and I say that as someone who loved the first two. Kingsman was successful because it was something fresh and new but that won't last forever. The novelty will wear off. It's a violent self aware take on Bond, but I don't think it's original enough to be a big franchise in its own right. The novelty will wear off quick, especially if they drag it out over a whole TV series. I think he should finish Eggsy's story with a third film then just leave it be, not everything has to be a universe. I mean does anyone really want a Statesman film? The 'it's like Kingsman but American' idea was fun in the second one but it seems like they did pretty much all there was to it there. Don't think there's any need for a spinoff.

And why a Kick Ass reboot? The last one only came out a few years ago. Might not have done very well but they have a great cast there. I would have liked another sequel and a Hit Girl solo film does sound cool but a reboot already?

Big fan of Vaughn but he's really lost me here. I've got pretty much no interest in most of those films and to be honest I have a hard time believing all this will actually happen. I just don't think there's much of a demand for most of what he's describing and I think announcing a massive plan for a big Marvel style universe is just asking for it to blow up in your face (what's happening with Tom Cruise's mummy one now?). It's just cocky I think.

How about something back to basics instead. Layer Cake 2? There's a sequel book isn't there? I remember rumours flying around that Jason Statham was doing that but as much as I like the guy I'd really prefer Vaughn and Craig.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    As far as Kingsman. Just take my money already

A trilogy sounds about right, and the early 1900s setting might just be different enough for that spinoff to work.

Outside of that it just seems like milking it massively imo, and I say that as someone who loved the first two. Kingsman was successful because it was something fresh and new but that won't last forever. The novelty will wear off. It's a violent self aware take on Bond, but I don't think it's original enough to be a big franchise in its own right. The novelty will wear off quick, especially if they drag it out over a whole TV series. I think he should finish Eggsy's story with a third film then just leave it be, not everything has to be a universe. I mean does anyone really want a Statesman film? The 'it's like Kingsman but American' idea was fun in the second one but it seems like they did pretty much all there was to it there. Don't think there's any need for a spinoff.

And why a Kick Ass reboot? The last one only came out a few years ago. Might not have done very well but they have a great cast there. I would have liked another sequel and a Hit Girl solo film does sound cool but a reboot already?

Big fan of Vaughn but he's really lost me here. I've got pretty much no interest in most of those films and to be honest I have a hard time believing all this will actually happen. I just don't think there's much of a demand for most of what he's describing and I think announcing a massive plan for a big Marvel style universe is just asking for it to blow up in your face (what's happening with Tom Cruise's mummy one now?). It's just cocky I think.

How about something back to basics instead. Layer Cake 2? There's a sequel book isn't there? I remember rumours flying around that Jason Statham was doing that but as much as I like the guy I'd really prefer Vaughn and Craig.
    You've hit the nail right on the head, mate.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Kingsman 3 to start filming in January 2019.

http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/08/exclusive-details-on-kingsman-3/
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Awesome. Loved both of them. But a t.v. series and a flashback film might be overkill. Looking forward to a concluding film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I just noticed that the article states Ralph Fiennes is the main candidate for the role of the new senior Kingsman agent.
    If so, then expect minimum involvement in B25
    Interesting news about Fiennes. I'm really looking forward to a third installment. I absolutely loved the first one but felt the second didn't quite live up to expectations.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yeah I'm not sure what angle they're taking here exactly, but I hope the conclusion to the trilogy ends up solid.
    If it's as good as the first two then that's a really entertaining trilogy .
    barryt007 wrote: »

Agreed, I've enjoyed them both so far. I recall being extremely disappointed and unimpressed in the trailers for the first one, but gave it a shot finally a few months later and loved it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »

Agreed, I've enjoyed them both so far. I recall being extremely disappointed and unimpressed in the trailers for the first one, but gave it a shot finally a few months later and loved it.

I'm the same,i watched it with low expectations and was very pleasantly surprised,same with the 2nd film.
    Hmmm, idk, as long as the movies are fun like the previous 2 and they keep the formula while adding some new flavour to it...it may work..we'll see.

First let's see what the 3rd one will do on the boxofice and that will tell us if the crowds want a Kingsman Universe

Also if it's filming in January doesn't that mean the third one will be released in 2020?
    I think if they want to create a universe they should have one movie every year or 2 years at most. In 2020 it would be 3 years since the 2nd one so idk if the crowds will be all that hyped up for it
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    That release date rings a bell, can’t quite place it
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Well, a spy film, anyway......
    That release date rings a bell, can’t quite place it
    I didn't notice that. Good catch!

I hope I like this next one better than the second one. It was ok, but nowhere near as good as the original imho. The whole Statesman thing didn't really work for me.

I presume they will continue with their approach of using American villains (it makes a welcome change from the more common Brit or Euro).
    @bondjames, I believe shortly after the release of The Golden Circle, Vaughn noted he wanted Dwayne Johnson to play the next villain.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    That's really interesting @Creasy47. To paraphrase Drax, "Well if they could get him of course..."

I think he would be fantastic. He's got some real presence and it would make a welcome change from his recent 'hero' roles.