Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    It's a shame Pierce won't be in it. (He's in the comic, for those who haven't read it).
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Here's the second trailer:

Now that was entertaining! One question i do have is about Sam Jackson's henchwoman? Is it the same person from the first 2 Mummy films?
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    Dunno, I don't like this kind of OTT action, not outside superhero flicks. I may see it anyway, but I'd rather they'd played it a little less ludicrous.
    Campbell2 wrote: »
    Dunno, I don't like this kind of OTT action, not outside superhero flicks. I may see it anyway, but I'd rather they'd played it a little less ludicrous.

Like being shot twice and then fall down from a rather high bridge and walk about some time later, it must not be JB but JC. :D
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    SaintMark wrote: »

Like being shot twice and then fall down from a rather high bridge and walk about some time later, it must not be JB but JC. :D

Depleted uranium rounds, no less.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Laughable VFX at 2:24 mark. Microsoft Paint might do a better job of pasting the actor's head on the stuntman's body.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This trailer is certainly much better but I'm still a bit torn on it.

Yeah, seems legit enough. But I meant more in terms of how stylized the action looks. Too much Spider-Man for me.

• edited November 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Saw the trailer in cinema and immediately sat up and took notice.
    The second trailer posted in this thread has me completely sold.
    I do like what's going down with this movie. It's classic '60s Bond derivative spyfy.
    It's in the Avengers and Uncle tradition - escapist Bond-inspired action, spy fantasy. Firth's character echoes John Steed.
    If this movie catches on, along with the new Uncle, we could be looking at a '60s spyfy inspired renaissance.
    I even see some Remo Williams fight type skills in Firth, at least with the special effects we saw.
    What makes these films work, and what makes Bond so great, is they combine fantasy escapism wth real danger and suspense.
    As much as I can enjoy the '60s Matt Helm and Flint films, they were Bond spoofs - pure camp entertainment- no real danger.
    The Avengers and Uncle TV series in contrast though,caught the danger element that 007 brought.
    With any luck this new film, and possibly Uncle, might lighten up the Bond films some, and move us away from the darker themes and moods of recent films, and back to a lighter approach BUT with the real danger and suspense intact.
    In fact, if Uncle and Kingsman would echo '60s Bond, it wouldn't be the worst thing if the Bond films did stay a tad edgier, to provide some separation from the imitators, but the QoS template does need to be tossed in the trash, IMO.
    I am hoping Uncle and Kingsman might move Bond away from its recent character-drama pretensions, and Bourne and Dark Knight influences, and closer to the landmark territory that it alone charted in its original Fleming inspired heyday.
    Bond doesn't need to go quite back to TSWLM and MR territory, but Bond needs to flirt with this type of escapism from time to time. But there is nothing wrong with more grounded FYEO or TLD type pictures either.
    The Fleming derived '60s films had the balance down perfect I thought.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2014 Posts: 9,117
    Hmm - I cant really stomach a film that features a chav as the hero.

However given that Vaughn will probably now never direct a Bond film I'm interested to see what we might have got and given that I thought Kick Ass was a fantastic piece of work I have enough good feeling towards Vaughn to maybe give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also Firth looks to be having a ball and Sam Jackson as a Rog era Blofeld type villain cant be bad can it?

If they could only lose the chav I'd be pretty happy with how this is shaping up.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 12,837
    The kid is the center of the film. The whole idea is that this normal, working class kid has to be moulded into a Bond esque secret agent. Lose him and I think you'd lose most of the film.

Besides, I'd rather have a chav than some annoying posh kid.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    4 new posters with reference to FYEO and The BladeRunner

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm598997248/rg2851117824?ref_=hm_phg_sm
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have read the comic book and I'm really looking forward to this film, despite the fact that it may not be entirely the same thing.
    I think Bond's name will be more than dropped. The comic book author already has dissed Bond, and I think Vaughn harbors ill will toward EON for not hiring him for CR. The film will in part be his answer. I think he is making it everything he thinks new bond isn't. If it works, it will put some pressure on EON to make Bond well, a little more Bond of the early decades. Craig is a terrific Bond, but they badly need to lighten up and get some beautiful Bond Girls in Bond24 with plenty of screen time with Craig. And please, not more MP, less please. She is no Bond Girl.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,619
    smitty wrote: »
    If it works, it will put some pressure on EON to make Bond well, a little more Bond of the early decades.

I don't think so. Maybe if it makes more than a billion US dollars world wide but that's not going to happen.
    Was that Mark Hamill?!!!! :-O
    Looks awful. No, won't bother.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @RogueAgent

The comic even begins with Hamill. :D
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I have to say this looks utter junk, seriously hope Bond never descends into this OTT tosh.

I'm sure it will appeal to the new generation with dialogue like "Sick" in it but as a 42 year old I'm not impressed with this at all, Spectre has nothing to worry about.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Looks like unpretentious fun entertainment.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I have to say this looks utter junk, seriously hope Bond never descends into this OTT tosh.

I'm sure it will appeal to the new generation with dialogue like "Sick" in it but as a 42 year old I'm not impressed with this at all, Spectre has nothing to worry about.

Spectre has its own problems without being compared with any movie that comes around in a similar genre.

I have no prediction for either movie and will probably see both, and reserve judgement on them after I have seen them both.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Looks like unpretentious fun entertainment.

Correct. Looks like a fun romp that want to serve an entertaining time without taking itself too seriously.
    Will be a dvd watch for me at some point in the distant future!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Read the comic and loved it, and this movie is shaping up to be very, very little like it, which is a shame. They even have Hamill cast in the film, but not playing himself (as he "does" in the comic); they've got him as a different character. The relationship between the two mains isn't the same, which I thought was a large part of the theme of the comic.
    If it were similar to the comic I'd be way more excited; as it stands, I'll definitely see it but have quite low expectations.
    Shardlake wrote: »

Spectre has its own problems without being compared with any movie that comes around in a similar genre.

I have no prediction for either movie and will probably see both, and reserve judgement on them after I have seen them both.

Well the trailer isn't selling it to me, it's just not for me, it looks juvenile and I'm afraid the cinema is just too damn expensive for me to toss my money away on something like this, I go less as time goes on.

Some unpretentious fun? Is this a pop at the current Bond series by any chance, well if that's pretentious I'll take it over childish stuff like this with the likes of Samuel I'm just here for my paycheck Jackson, looks more like Die Another Day.

I suppose those who miss the most OTT Bond entries might get some joy from it but I guess I'll just stick with this current pretentious film series this web site is devoted to.
    It looks like a serious version of Austin Powers with a hipster thrown in to have someone the audience relate to. I'll pass.
  • There isn't a hipster in it. At least I didn't see one in the trailer.

It's not "a serious version of Austin Powers" (which in itself is a piss take version of Bond, so isn't a serious version of Austin Powers just an MR/YOLT type Bond film?), it's a modernised tongue in cheek R rated Roger Moore Bond film. This film is to spy films what Kick Ass is to superhero films

None of the trailers have blown me away but I think it looks fun and after Layer Cake (fantastic film) and Kick Ass (which this film is meant to be similar to), I have full faith in Matthew Vaughn. I'm really excited for this.
    Here in the states Chav's are called hipsters. :))
    I actually usually like Matthew Vaughn but he's lost me with this one.