Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited April 2022 Posts: 8,000
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I'm sure the film is probably FX-heavy which requires extensive post-work but I'd love if they gave us something similar to the teaser for Crystal Skull even to whet appetites.

It's Indy so it's pretty much guaranteed to do well, so maybe they're happy to hold off as long as they can before starting any campaigns.

I could see it flopping or at least “ underperforming “ to be honest.Young people today won’t have much affection for the character especially after the last instalment which is almost universally seen as the worst of the series.Also,Harrison Ford is nearly 80 and not the box office draw he used to be.

People flocked to KOTCS when it came out because the classic trilogy was so popular but the stink of that film means there won’t be as much desire for a new one.Indeed ,a lot of people find the idea of a new Indy film at Fords age ridiculous.Also add in the bad rep Kathleen Kennedy and Disney have in the public right now and ( especially if it turns out the film is yet another bait and switch ) it could easily be a disaster.

I don't think Kathleen Kennedy nor Disney have the bad rep amongst the public that your Youtube channels would have you believe. Most people don't care. They just see Indy.

I highly doubt that any boycott is even of a slight concern to Disney; especially one being called for by a vocal minority over an opinion on a bill that I hadn't even heard of til now.

Again, I don't think the consensus among the public aligns with what your favourite Youtube channels say. 200 million subscribers to their streaming service and an increase in profits in the last quarter says more than enough.

Do you think they're going to make Indiana Jones gay all of a sudden?

And let’s not forget a lot of these dorks on YouTube are making their own profit by fanning the flames of an irate group of fans that crave internet bias. It’s all a big exploitation, and the sad thing is these viewers don’t seem to be wise to realize they’re being duped by these brave YouTubers.

“Kathleen Kennedy secretly fired for the fifth time!”
    “Brie Larson triggering white hetero male fragility!”
    “James Cameron fans’ sudden realization that James Cameron was always a feminist!”
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2022 Posts: 14,861
    It does seem a bit suspect that one (or several) of these random YouTubers operating from his mum’s spare bedroom had exclusively discovered that Phoebe Waller Bridge was taking over as the lead (somehow!) even though no one has discovered what the film is about, what the characters are called, what the title is, even which years it’s definitely set in etc. And yet somehow he knows that she (whatever her character is called) is somehow stealing the lead role.
    It’s pure grift. Good luck to him for getting that sweet advertising revenue I guess; the gullible folk will have long forgotten his lies by the time the film comes out as there will be some new female superhero/Star Wars heroine to get hot under the collar about by then.
    They’re exploiting male fragility by suggesting that Kathleen Kennedy is coming to kill their male childhood heroes so that she can one day reduce men to breeding stock, locked under the dungeons once the feminazis have taken over the world.
  • Can't wait for Indy 5whatever the corporate shananigans behind the scenes. What exactly has Kathy Kennedy done wrong? She's not Kevin Spacey.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Anyway, there is apparently a Lucasfilm panel at the next Star Wars Celebration, so some are saying that might mean some Indy content. I’m a bit more dubious though, James Mangold hinted on Twitter that we’d see a trailer in winter.
    Can't wait for Indy 5whatever the corporate shananigans behind the scenes. What exactly has Kathy Kennedy done wrong? She's not Kevin Spacey.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    0t5pntt5au2i.gif
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Benny wrote: »
    0t5pntt5au2i.gif

This is a nice summation.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Let’s talk about Indiana Jones.

One thing I learned the other day, and which had always been a bugbear of mine about the film, is that Indy’s knowledge about not looking into the Ark actually comes from the Bible: there’s a passage where several men are struck down by God for looking into it (1 Samuel 6:19). I still think that should have been mentioned in the film somewhere, but maybe the filmmakers expected the audience to have gone to Sunday School?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I agree it probably should have been mentioned. Even afterwards it could have been dropped in, in a "how did you know not to look into it, Indy?" kind of way. It would have been a nice way to show off the character's knowledge about subject matters that just happen to be important, the same way Bond does so often.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah for me it’s just too pivotal a bit of knowledge -it saves the lives of our heroes- to not be seeded or, as you say, explained later. Why it’s not in the big info dump scene in the school hall with the two FBI guys I don’t know.
    I think it’s the one single flaw in the movie.

Another possibly more interesting observation about this new film: the new Mission Impossible film had its trailer revealed at CinemaCon last week: that film comes out after Indiana Jones 5.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah for me it’s just too pivotal a bit of knowledge -it saves the lives of our heroes- to not be seeded or, as you say, explained later. Why it’s not in the big info dump scene in the school hall with the two FBI guys I don’t know.
    I think it’s the one single flaw in the movie.

Another possibly more interesting observation about this new film: the new Mission Impossible film had its trailer revealed at CinemaCon last week: that film comes out after Indiana Jones 5.

Not only that, but Simon Pegg confirmed that the trailer will be attached to Top Gun: Maverick this month, so I can't imagine we'll get to the end of the summer at the latest without having seen a first look from this. I can't wait.

I haven't rewatched the series in ages so I'll have to do that sooner rather than later. I'd love to just buy the 4K set and dive through them again in really fine detail and color.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, I don’t have a 4K setup but I must say I’m tempted for that. And oddly it might actually be Crystal Skull which tempts me the most: I really want to see the new regraded version with all of the golden sunny blooms dialled way down- it looks so much nicer from what I’ve seen.
    Yes, I don’t have a 4K setup but I must say I’m tempted for that. And oddly it might actually be Crystal Skull which tempts me the most: I really want to see the new regraded version with all of the golden sunny blooms dialled way down- it looks so much nicer from what I’ve seen.

Definitely. The 4K screenshots alone have me excited for a rewatch (one I never thought I'd return to; I've seen it enough over the years and it's not for me, but maybe after having avoided it for so long, I'll be able to enjoy it for what it is now).

However, I guess we'll get a set with all of the films in 4K once this new one releases on the format in late 2023, so maybe I'll just wait for that and stream them in the meantime. Too many films I need to watch but never enough free time.
    I’ll be interested if there’s a five film set down the line, given that Paramount still holds the distribution rights to the first four films. Though I understand they were able to get THE INCREDIBLE HULK included in boxes sets.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I’m sure something will get sorted out with regards to that. I imagine Disney + will probably license the old films too or something.
    It’s possible. Some of the early Marvel films that Paramount originally were involved with like THE AVENGERS have appeared on BOTH Disney+ and Paramount+ simultaneously. Right now the first four films and Young Indy are currently only on Paramount+. I can’t imagine Disney doesn’t want to at least make a joint deal of sorts.
    Now, instead of an opening shot of a mountain, we'll get an opening shot of a castle.
    I’m willing to bet Paramount’s logo will still appear, as if did for THE AVENGERS and IRON MAN 3 despite those two being Disney productions.
    I hope so.

Followed by a gopher!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Now, instead of an opening shot of a mountain, we'll get an opening shot of a castle.

I doubt it, there’s no castle before Star Wars or Marvel films.
    mattjoes wrote: »

I doubt it, there’s no castle before Star Wars or Marvel films.

Yeah, I think when it comes to the Disney owned studios, the castle only appears before Pixar productions. The castle has always been absent when the movies were branded as Touchstone, Marvel, LucasFilm, and now 20th Century Pictures.
    Been a while here ! Nothing new on the next Indy film ? In the meantime - with the time machine perhaps being a plot component, might they go back and, sure, have Indy and Marion re-unite, and keep the Soviet lady available as a villain, but zap the rest of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Long-Awaited and Terribly Disappointing Movie" ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    First official photo:

Ford has been onstage at Star Wars Celebration, played in by John Williams conducting an orchestra playing the Indy theme.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2022 Posts: 23,105
    Awesome just watching Star Wars celebration Live they just showed Indy image.
    Looks nice.
    Wow, what a gorgeous shot
    Beautiful shot, indeed. I'm happy to finally get something official for this! I can't wait to see some proper footage in a matter of months.
    Lovely shot, hoping for a teaser trailer some time soon!
    First images are usually a good sign that things are gearing up. I wouldn't be surprised if we get the first teaser by the end of the summer at the latest.