SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    And that's what makes this tread so interesting! Thanks for sharing @BeatlesSansEarmuffs!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I just saw the QoS appreciation thread resurface. Interestingly enough I hadn't read anything in it since 2012 (how memory can trick you!) and I ended up reading @SirHenryLeeChaChing 's comments as if he'd posted them yesterday. It struck me again how balanced, positive and thoughtfull his posts always were. He's still very much missed!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    SirHenry's whole presence is missed. He participated in many threads and had such a great personality. B-)
    I will posting on here later today, my initial impressions of more Bond films (as seen first time in the theater). Cheers!
    Still hopefully waiting dear @4EverBonded ! ;-)
    I never saw that clip with Peter as Clousseau in a gunbarrel; at least not that I remember. Though I did see that film and enjoyed it a lot.

My recollections of my first impression - briefly - of Bond films ... okay, let me try a few:

DAF - My first film that I saw, with my parents (ugh!), and I was totally dazzled. And this in spite of my dislike for Las Vegas (we had visited it when I was younger). I wanted to be Jill St. John! In every way. I remember wearing hot pants to school (high school) and molding myself after her and Stephanie Powers (earlier in The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.). I thought DAF was great fun and I remember thinking Wint and Kidd were so great. It was kitschy and Sean was out of shape, which I did vaguely notice - but my enjoyment of the film overall was huge. I had already read at least one novel by then. I always felt the stories were serious and the films much more glamorous and fun.

LALD - my 2nd Bond film, and I loved Roger Moore in the role. I had read all the novels and short stories by now and I remembered Roger from The Saint - I did have an open mind as to who come possibly come after Sean, though I knew it would have to someone special who would really make me believe this was Bond. Roger brought a very suave, subtly ironic and cool sense of humor, and I had no doubts about him continuing as Bond. I also loved the music and thought it was overall a very fine Bond film.

TMWTGG - aha! I walked out of the theater totally disgruntled. I remember muttering to myself about him dropping the gun and how stupid much of it was. I went in a Roger Moore James Bond fan and came out fairly annoyed, even pissed off at the movie. I felt Mary was a complete dippy blonde, which also annoyed me a lot. At that time I was worried about the franchise continuing and what direction it would take.

TSWLM - Thankfully saved the series (I think more than just my opinion on that) and was a dream of a Bond film for me. I loved it. I forget how many times I saw it in the theater. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and thought Roger was at the top of his game; never more handsome, charming, relaxed (not forced), perfect balance. This film sparkled. I consider it a classic Bond film, nearly flawless.

I will stop for now and return later with other thoughts on my initial impressions from when I saw Bond movies in the theater, during first run. Thanks, @Birdleson.

Never realized you were also an U.N.C.L.E. agent.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 12,459
    Just got home after a long, tiring (but good) day and now I have three days in a row off work. I'd cheer loudly at this point, but I am too wiped out. ;) So I may get around to finishing or at least doing a bigger chunk of my list; my initial impressions when I saw Bond films in the theater. Thanks, @CommanderRoss .

Did Moonraker dazzle and entertain me, after that sublime TSWLM?
    Did I find Roger's Bond in FYEO compelling, and how about that lead Bond girl?
    Did Octopussy keep the hot air balloon fires burning in my heart for Q?
    Did Dalton cut the mustard when I saw him turn towards the camera in that PTS?

Well, I have answers to that and more pressing questions you can think of.
    To be continued (tomorrow, I hope). B-)

P.S. YES, I was a huge Girl from U.N.C.L.E. fan, @delfloria! And Man from U.N.C.L.E. (heavy and lasting crush on David). Come to think of it, don't you have an U.N.C.L.E. thread on here??
    I didn't want to double post, but wanted to share with anybody interested a post I made in the OHMSS appreciation thread about my viewing of the film 40 years ago today and its impact on my becoming the Bond fan I am today. In the spirit of this thread, it also mentions my first viewing in a theater.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,706
    Just got home after a long, tiring (but good) day and now I have three days in a row off work. I'd cheer loudly at this point, but I am too wiped out. ;) So I may get around to finishing or at least doing a bigger chunk of my list; my initial impressions when I saw Bond films in the theater. Thanks, @CommanderRoss .

Did Moonraker dazzle and entertain me, after that sublime TSWLM?
    Did I find Roger's Bond in FYEO compelling, and how about that lead Bond girl?
    Did Octopussy keep the hot air balloon fires burning in my heart for Q?
    Did Dalton cut the mustard when I saw him turn towards the camera in that PTS?

Well, I have answers to that and more pressing questions you can think of.
    To be continued (tomorrow, I hope). B-)

P.S. YES, I was a huge Girl from U.N.C.L.E. fan, @delfloria! And Man from U.N.C.L.E. (heavy and lasting crush on David). Come to think of it, don't you have an U.N.C.L.E. thread on here??

Yep, as CommanderRoss pointed out. I also run "The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Inner Circle" Facebook group. Love to have you join us. Thanks for all your insightful postings here at MI6.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I didn't want to double post, but wanted to share with anybody interested a post I made in the OHMSS appreciation thread about my viewing of the film 40 years ago today and its impact on my becoming the Bond fan I am today. In the spirit of this thread, it also mentions my first viewing in a theater.

I don't think anyone would mind that post in here. On the contrary! Looking foreward to your experiences!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hadn't seen this thread bumped in a while so thanks for that, @Birdleson. Been sifting through the last few pages, some great stuff and stories posted here. I love reading about everyone's journey into hardcore fandom of the series.

Hopefully you lot don't let the thread die out, it's always been a great thread to visit and read through.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I’d like to pick with my story, it was funny writing in chunks of my life. But if no one else is doing likewise, or at least involved in the discussion, it kills my enthusiasm quick.

Pretty much my motto for the forum as a whole and why I haven't put as much time and dedication into posts - if others aren't doing similar in a given thread or there's not much feedback, my interest and enthusiasm is shot.
    Go ahead, @Birdleson. I'd like to read your experiences with Bond films, and I'll try to get my own first impressions done within a day.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’d like to pick up with my story, it was funny writing in chunks of my life. But if no one else is doing likewise, or at least involved in the discussion, it kills my enthusiasm quick.

I'm digging your personal history with Bond as laid out. It's reminding me of how I slowly delved into Bond growing up during middle school/high school years, though I'm FAR from the original generation of fans (my first exposure to Bond was when I was 10 years old in 1997. You do the math.)

Do cover the 80s, and how you felt about that decade in comparison to the 70s, especially going from MR to FYEO! I can only imagine it felt like what my generation experienced with CR bringing things back to basics after the excess of DAD.
    I'm very looking foreward to your, and others' stories @Birdleson ! I have little time on these boards, but this thread is definately one I go to first. And I may not always have time to comment, nor be of the right age group, but this plce has been a safe haven to relax and read since @SirHenryLeeChaChing set it up.

Perhaps @delfloria can join in too?
    Given that NTTD is left hanging, it may be a good time to get back to this. Rather than speculate its fate, which we have no control or say over, let's have fun with nostalgia.

I've had the entire time of lockdown and all that I could've been contributing but didn't follow up. I'm all for this thread as it's a special, forgive me, bond for some of us.
    Cool! Looking forward to it!
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    As am I.
    Great stuff as always. You could probably craft a book out of your experiences, journeys and stories, especially the concert-centric ones.

I always forget that you where in Chambersburg for a while, it's barely 90 minutes from my place.
    I can imagine how one who hopes for more Fleming inspired films felt like a buzzsaw yo-yo in the 80s. That's pretty much LTK for me. It can be brutal and serious, but then there's the silly elements that just butt in the film like an unwelcomed guest. It's like EON can't help themselves. Given the low box office turnout, I imagine there were a lot of Bond fans back then who likely saw the films alone in theaters. That only happened with me just one time with QOS, which seems fitting for that film.
    You can’t cut out the overacting French taxi driver though. It's integral to the film.

BxBZwIU.png

On another note, this was me watching DIE ANOTHER DAY.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited July 2020 Posts: 280
    Another engaging read @Birdleson!
    Birdleson, your tale is EPIC. Thanks for sharing. I thought of posting but it would pale in comparison. Having said that I would say that my 007 journey started with a first run viewing of Goldfinger at the Chinese theatre in Hollywood. From the gun barrel to the final scene with Bond and Pussy is was enthralled. This 13 year old had never seen anything like it before. I was hooked and in-between each consecutive Bond release there was also "The Man from UNCLE" (Which I preferred to Bond, then as I do now. It's that international agency working for all nations kinda thing that did it for me). As the years passed my fascination with 007 and UNCLE lead me to learn scuba diving, learn martial arts, try hang gliding, learn to ski, visit japan, appear in "Diamonds Are Forever", own a silver Aston Martin DB-5, visit Pinewood Studios and more. It's been a wild ride ever since that fateful night at the Chinese theatre oh those many years ago.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Great stuff as always. You could probably craft a book out of your experiences, journeys and stories, especially the concert-centric ones.

I always forget that you where in Chambersburg for a while, it's barely 90 minutes from my place.

You're not that far from Baltimore then.

Not at all, I actually worked the Gibson Island Club one summer with my ex, whose sister and husband lived right in Baltimore.
    Birdleson, fantastic read. I look forward to the next installment.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Birdleson, your tale is EPIC. Thanks for sharing. I thought of posting but it would pale in comparison. Having said that I would say that my 007 journey started with a first run viewing of Goldfinger at the Chinese theatre in Hollywood. From the gun barrel to the final scene with Bond and Pussy is was enthralled. This 13 year old had never seen anything like it before. I was hooked and in-between each consecutive Bond release there was also "The Man from UNCLE" (Which I preferred to Bond, then as I do now. It's that international agency working for all nations kinda thing that did it for me). As the years passed my fascination with 007 and UNCLE lead me to learn scuba diving, learn martial arts, try hang gliding, learn to ski, visit japan, appear in "Diamonds Are Forever", own a silver Aston Martin DB-5, visit Pinewood Studios and more. It's been a wild ride ever since that fateful night at the Chinese theatre oh those many years ago.

Agree with Birdleson, I'd love to read your stories. Since I didn't get to live through those days, I'm fascinated by those who got to experience the spymania days firsthand and stayed life-long fans.

What I like about a thread like this is not just hearing the varied stories of other hardcore fans' experiences, but it kind of bonds us (sorry) and is a sort of safe space as I know I went through years when it seemed like being a Bond fan was pretty lonely and here we can all relate in a special way.

And its a nice distraction from when will we ever see NTTD.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Birdleson, fantastic read. I look forward to the next installment.
    delfloria wrote: »

Agree with Birdleson, I'd love to read your stories. Since I didn't get to live through those days, I'm fascinated by those who got to experience the spymania days firsthand and stayed life-long fans.

What I like about a thread like this is not just hearing the varied stories of other hardcore fans' experiences, but it kind of bonds us (sorry) and is a sort of safe space as I know I went through years when it seemed like being a Bond fan was pretty lonely and here we can all relate in a special way.

And its a nice distraction from when will we ever see NTTD.

Indeed! On top of that these stories give a glimpse of normal life in a far-away country to me as well. @Birdleson, thank you for sharing and I'm looking foreward to the next episode!
    Funny thing is, as humans we usually find the lives of others more interesting than our own. People have told me I've lived an exciting life, even though I'm not impressed at all. When I read these stories, I find others did way better. But that's life, and that's why it's fun when people share their stories.
    @delfloria so feel free to add your stories to the ones already here, there's an attentive audience!
    You can’t cut out the overacting French taxi driver though. It's integral to the film.

BxBZwIU.png

On another note, this was me watching DIE ANOTHER DAY.

There's no overacting when it comes to French Taxi drivers ;-)
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 3,564
    I placed my own history with 007 long ago on this thread, and I hate to repeat myself... but what the heck, here goes again:

My first awareness of James Bond came on a Saturday morning sometime in 1965. At that time, cartoons were the order of business on television of a Saturday morning. I was accustomed to watching reruns of Mickey Mouse, Popeye, Bugs Bunny and the lot -- cartoons that had originally been released theatrically a decade or two earlier, and were now making the rounds on TV to keep the kiddies amused while Mom & Dad got a bit more sleep over the weekend. Suddenly, in the middle of all that cartoonish mayhem, came a commercial for a toy inspired by a current movie, along with a few moments taken directly from that movie. The toy was the James Bond attache' case, the film clips were of Desmond Llewellyn giving Sean Connery the case, and of Connery with Pedro Amendariz using the gun from that case. The movie, of course, was "From Russia With Love." To say I was intrigued by the film, and the Bond character, is to severely understate the case.

A very brief while later, the theme song to "Goldfinger" was blasting out of every radio speaker in the USA. I suspect most fans who are aged under 50 don't realize the general nature of broadcasting in those times. Today's media is narrowly focused: audiences are defined by age and expected interest. Science fiction films have their own channels, western (that is, cowboys vs. indians and/or rustlers) films have their own channels; fans of current pop music have their radio stations, fans of "classic" rock have THEIR own stations, and fans of Sinatra-era crooners can just go and... well, they've probably got something online to satisfy them if they know how to work their kids' computers. Back in the '60s, there were far fewer stations and (believe it or not) no internet. Programming was far more general-interest at that time. The radio station my parents listened to carried SF Giants Baseball games as well as music and news, and the ramblings of a now-legendary disc jockey named Don Sherwood. Musically it played Sinatra as well as Alan Sherman (humorous songs) as well as a bit of classical and every now & then, a few songs by those long haired newcomers from England, the Beatles. And movie themes. GOLD-FINNGAH! got a lot of play there...but really, it was everywhere. As was everything to do with Bond. Suddenly Sean Connery and his Walther PPK were on the cover of every magazine on the racks. You simply couldn't get away from 007 in those heady days.

So with Bond trading cards, movie ads, TV specials and toy tie-ins, I was well aware of much of the Bond story before I ever attended my first 007 film. And when I finally made it into a theater, one film just wouldn't be enough! (More to come.... BeatlesSansEarmuffs will return!)
    I placed my own history with 007 long ago on this thread, and I hate to repeat myself... but what the heck, here goes again:

My first awareness of James Bond came on a Saturday morning sometime in 1965. At that time, cartoons were the order of business on television of a Saturday morning. I was accustomed to watching reruns of Mickey Mouse, Popeye, Bugs Bunny and the lot -- cartoons that had originally been released theatrically a decade or two earlier, and were now making the rounds on TV to keep the kiddies amused while Mom & Dad got a bit more sleep over the weekend. Suddenly, in the middle of all that cartoonish mayhem, came a commercial for a toy inspired by a current movie, along with a few moments taken directly from that movie. The toy was the James Bond attache' case, the film clips were of Desmond Llewellyn giving Sean Connery the case, and of Connery with Pedro Amendariz using the gun from that case. The movie, of course, was "From Russia With Love." To say I was intrigued by the film, and the Bond character, is to severely understate the case.

A very brief while later, the theme song to "Goldfinger" was blasting out of every radio speaker in the USA. I suspect most fans who are aged under 50 don't realize the general nature of broadcasting in those times. Today's media is narrowly focused: audiences are defined by age and expected interest. Science fiction films have their own channels, western (that is, cowboys vs. indians and/or rustlers) films have their own channels; fans of current pop music have their radio stations, fans of "classic" rock have THEIR own stations, and fans of Sinatra-era crooners can just go and... well, they've probably got something online to satisfy them if they know how to work their kids' computers. Back in the '60s, there were far fewer stations and (believe it or not) no internet. Programming was far more general-interest at that time. The radio station my parents listened to carried SF Giants Baseball games as well as music and news, as the ramblings of a now-legendary disc jocket named Don Sherwood. Musically it played Sinatra as well as Alan Sherman (humorous songs) as well as a bit of classical and every now & then, a few songs by those long haired newcomers from England, the Beatles. And movie themes. GOLD-FINNGAH! got a lot of play there...but really, it was everywhere. As was everything to do with Bond. Suddenly Sean Connery and his Walther PPK were on the cover of every magazine on the racks. You simply couldn't get away from 007 in those heady days.

So with Bond trading cards, movie ads, TV specials and toy tie-ins, I was well aware of much of the Bond story before I ever attended my first 007 film. And when I finally made it into a theater, one film just wouldn't be enough! (More to come.... BeatlesSansEarmuffs will return!)
    Good stuff. I'd love to see that attaché case commercial. The only Bond toy commercial from back then I've seen is the one on the TB disc with the exploding pen and vapor paper with voiceover actors doing Bond and Q. Interesting that they actual clips of the actors using the case.