SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The reason I kick-started this thread, and asked others, such @chrisisall , to return to it, is that, as a mod, I have been dealing with so many of the problem children and so much strife that I needed a reminder of why I come to this site, and how much fun it can be.

That's what has always intrigued me about this thread: completely Bond-driven, respectful, and filled with hearty discussions. It's more than appreciated seeing it in such a consistent manner.

And yes, don't let me step on any toes or tweak the discussions in a given direction or anything, I'd just be happy to participate, particularly discussing the future of the series without being spoiled over and over again. A "spoiler-free oasis" is just what I need.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    You can help by thinking of some Bond topic you'd like to talk about, or ask us older fans about. I won't change the topic for a few more days, just think it over - and thanks.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2019 Posts: 17,687
    How about the most 'I'll kill you before the end of this film' look? I nominate Dalton. Look at that dead-eye glare...
    mZFUq5s.jpg
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    i second Dalton. I'm watching TLD right now and the first thirty minutes is full of them. Not to mention the one he has after Saunders' death.
    For most surprising such look, I'll take Sir Roger's at Scaramanga during the dinner sequence when Scaramanga is baiting him about killing. His serious side was always interesting because we saw the ironic and humorous side so much more.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    This thread is once again the bastion of sanity.

Indeed.

Now where the **** is Bond 25 and why is Barbara Broccoli not telling ME about the production? She OWES me, and if she could just FOR ONCE IN HER LIFE get off her backside and email me some information like when is the press conference, then maybe, just maybe I can be convinced that Eon isn't a dead duck.

As I say @Birdleson this is a refuge away from the madness of the production thread.

ps - Broccoli OUT
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Dalton was the darkest Bond, its all in the eyes. Dalton's undercurrent was phenomenal, Craig at the Miami Airport in CR is worth a mention when restrained Craig looks menacing.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well I don't want to stay out of news completely. I'm always interested (and by defenition dissapointed) by the cast. Allthough with SP I wasn't dissapointed by the cast itself, that was very impressive. So perhaps beeing dissapointed by the cast is actually the best thing possible.
    Anyway, next is the trailer, allthough I agree they give away too much these days. But I love the trailers as they give the feel of the film, which will highen my appetite. That's so much better than dry facts like shooting locations or set photo's.

Thankfully this thing called 'life' is keeping me busy enough so I can't even frequent the boards much these days. That helps too ;-)

I think Dalton had the best killer look, allthough RM did quite well in places. I love the look he has on his face when he kicks Locque off the cliff. Connery and Lazzers looked tough but seldom had this anger in their faces. Allthough, come to think of it, Lazzers and his 'it's Blofeld!'.... But not as much as TD or RM. Craig is too cool and Brosnan for me never was that though. It's funny but I love him far more in The Tailor of Panama or The Thomas Crown Affiar than in Bond. I agree with those that say with DAD he finally found his stride, but then that film destracts way too much from him beeing Bond (the heartbeat stop doesn't help either) that you hardly pay attention to his acting.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 17,687
    Broz shot a mean look while Elecktra was choking him on that gizmo... Rog did do a nasty one at Scaramanga too. Dan does that I-could-pop-any-second that I like. But Tim just had a way with that fire behind the eyes thing.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Dalton's reaction when Saunders dies as mentioned by others, that scene is one of my favourite from the entire series.
    Dalton's reaction when Saunders dies as mentioned by others, that scene is one of my favourite from the entire series.

They cut the bloody shot out... it was pretty graphic. It would have lent more meaning to that look...
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,105
    chrisisall wrote: »

They cut the bloody shot out... it was pretty graphic. It would have lent more meaning to that look...

What we got was still great, Dalton gets intensity. Me and my brother watched Rocketeer at the weekend, both of us thought he should have made one more Bond.

Listening to James Horner's Rocketeer score now for the ten thousandth time, awesome score

What we got was still great, Dalton gets intensity. Me and my brother watched Rocketeer at the weekend, both of us thought he should have made one more Bond.

Listening to James Horner's Rocketeer score now for the ten thousandth time, awesome score

Agreed on both counts!!!

Agreed on both counts!!!

Still listening to the score, there are some Bernard Hermann nods which always surprise me in the Rocketeer. James Horner died too soon

Agreed on both counts!!!

Still listening to the score, there are some Bernard Hermann nods which always surprise me in the Rocketeer. James Horner died too soon

Rocketeer is an amazing movie not just for Horner's peerless score but also Dalton's fantastic turn as a period piece Bond-like villain. And yeah, we lost Horner all too soon.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,105

Agreed on both counts!!!

Rocketeer is an amazing movie not just for Horner's peerless score but also Dalton's fantastic turn as a period piece Bond-like villain. And yeah, we lost Horner all too soon.

Dalton could have taken Bond deeper into uncertainty which worked very well for Dalton's Bond. Unfortunately the 90's happened
    I just ordered the Blu Ray of CR. I only had the DVD before. My bad. This is how I will avoid spoilers. A full Bond marathon (minus MR- sorry, I still can't deal) in a new home.
    I was doing a reverse Bondathon though got stuck on the Brosnan films, I really need to resume leading up to the new film. CR looks stunning on Bluray
    I was doing a reverse Bondathon though got stuck on the Brosnan films, I really need to resume leading up to the new film. CR looks stunning on Bluray

It looked great on my DVD so I'm sure I'll be stunned with the BD.
    I think doing our own Bond film marathon countdown is a great way to spend time while we wait for major news, press conference, etc. I'll be reading the novels again. Getting to OHMSS within a week, I hope.

Bond's killer looks - that's a bit interesting.
    1) I first think of Roger's chat and subsequent kicking of Locque's car off that cliff. I love that scene.
    2) Dalton in TLD and LTK had true laser focused killer moments.
    3) I can't really dig that up for Sean or Pierce, not offhand.
    4) Craig is totally believable as a killer. Yet I'm not coming up with a particular scene. Interesting, because I think Craig is a quite realistic Bond. I'm also really tired at the moment, so not remembering anything with sharp focus just now.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 3,564
    Dalton's intensity always made him one of my favorite Bonds. I'm sorry things didn't work out for him to have a few more outings as 007. Yes, Craig is totally believable as a killer & that's an important quality for a good Bond to have. Sean looked like he didn't really care one way or the other, if you got in his way maybe he'd knock you out or maybe he'd toss you into your boss' piranha pool. Either way was fine, just don't make him spill his shaken-not-stirred. Roger was never entirely convincing to me as a killer. When he had to be ruthless he'd make a joke about it to diffuse the tension -- as with the gunsmith in TMWTGG, where he aims a rifle between the man's legs and tells to "speak now or forever hold your....piece." Kicking Locque's car off the cliff is one of the few points where Roger's 007 actually seems like a fellow with a license to kill. For my money, FYEO is one of Roger's best outings precisely because of the emotional complexity of this script. Roger begins the film at Tracy's gravesite and is quickly shown exacting his final revenge on (can we finally acknowledge it?) Blofeld. He then moves on to a position where he is urging Melina NOT to pursue a path of vengeance against her parents' killers -- not because he's a hypocrite, but because he knows the psychological and emotional toll that path has cost him.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Actually I've always lovd the scene in the gunsmith's workplace as well. Roger turns from his frivolous self into this ice-cold killer, and even though it's a joke, it doesn't come over as one to me. One of the most effective threats Bond's ever made.

Love FYEO exactly for that. One of the most fascinating films as it has a light and dark tone and at the same time is very effective, none of it is out of place.
    Actually I've always lovd the scene in the gunsmith's workplace as well. Roger turns from his frivolous self into this ice-cold killer, and even though it's a joke, it doesn't come over as one to me. One of the most effective threats Bond's ever made.

Love FYEO exactly for that. One of the most fascinating films as it has a light and dark tone and at the same time is very effective, none of it is out of place.
    Only the disco beats.... ;)

I think the ONLYy thing I'd changed in that film is the computer and soundtrack, yes. I enjoy FYEO a lot and I think the cast is excellent.
    Even the disco beats didn't bother me much when I last saw it on the big screen. Somehow it's part of the film. I know that makes me a hypocrite as I really don't like the techno-sounds in the Brosnan films, and blame it on the fact that I was too young to see the film in it's oiginal theatrical run, so seeing it in the cinema made it a quite special occasion, but still. Roger Moore films get away with far more than all the others combined I guess ;-)
    This film is strong enough in all other areas, that I am not seriously disturbed by the music. I just wish it were better; it's a flaw in an otherwise very well acted, exciting story.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 3,564
    Roger Moore films get away with far more than all the others combined I guess ;-)

Roger could get away with double-taking pigeons and slide whistle car stunts...but he couldn't get away with slapping a woman. Sean got away with taking the top of a woman's bikini and using it on her as a garrote.
    This film is strong enough in all other areas, that I am not seriously disturbed by the music. I just wish it were better; it's a flaw in an otherwise very well acted, exciting story.

Yes! And I love the PTS too!
  • chrisisall wrote: »

Yes! And I love the PTS too!

But how do you feel about a delicatessen... in stainless steeeeeeeeeeeellllll...........
    edited April 2019 Posts: 12,459
    This film is an interesting mix, yes!
    Serious moments and then blammo! Disco music, pseudo Blofeld (but cannot be mentioned by name), comic moments (like the lovely "ride in the countryside" and more) - then calm, serious scenes. Quite a mix. ;) I love FYEO.