SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

I'll have to think thru your comment, @delfloria. I need to watch the movie again. It does have an incredibly lovely theme song. :)

AND my news is I just got back from our cinema - NTTD tickets go on sale Sept 29th (2 days, not 1 day before viewing). But unsure when mall opens. I think separate door, then elevators to 5th floor cinema. I'll have a Japanese friend call. First viewing Oct. 1st. I am taking the 29th off work. Ticket window open at 9 a.m. so I need to be there 8:00 a.m. It will sell out fast and people are buying tickets online, too, of course. I cannot - so I'll do my best on the 29th. Wish me luck!

Wishing you luck.

Don't mull it over too hard, the entire script is filled with holes once you start to peel away the layers. Enough so to drive one insane but it does have a lovely theme song.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    First viewing Oct. 1st. I am taking the 29th off work. Ticket window open at 9 a.m. so I need to be there 8:00 a.m. It will sell out fast and people are buying tickets online, too, of course. I cannot - so I'll do my best on the 29th. Wish me luck!
    Good luck! Mask up!

• Good luck to us all re: finally seeing NTTD. Yes, YOLT does have a lovely theme song, one of my favorites. Yes, the whole "turning Japanese" bit just doesn't work for me at all. Good thing the volcano's interior/Spectre base is such a stunner, otherwise YOLT would be one of the lesser films in the series; instead, it's definitely mid-rank to me. Yes, Daniel would be fine in FRWL or either of Dalton's offerings. He wouldn't fit at all in LALD or TMWTGG. Kung Fu schoolgirls -- rescuing Mr. Craig? I don't think so...

And yes, it's good to have you back, 4Ever. We've missed you...
    Kung Fu schoolgirls -- rescuing Mr. Craig? I don't think so...
    Craig's smirk (What? Okay, whatever) would have been priceless.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2021 Posts: 12,459
    I almost can picture Daniel in TSWLM. Almost. Can anybody see that work?
    Moonraker, though? Nope.

Thanks to all for your good luck wishes on me getting a ticket for NTTD.
    I may still try to find out if I can buy one on line quicker (I'd need a Japanese friend to assist). I think I'll need to just be there. Hopefully get a ticket for some time that weekend. First day may be sold out by the time I get to the ticket window. But I WILL get to it! And I hope to see it twice in the cinema. B-) Won't be long now!
    I hope to see it twice in the cinema. B-) Won't be long now!
    I'm betting this one will break records (given the pandemic still in progress). What I've seen of the trailer make it look VERY cool....
    Cinematically, it looks to be one of the best Bond films. Splendid. I am hoping the story is sound. I still have faith in Cary.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Cinematically, it looks to be one of the best Bond films. Splendid. I am hoping the story is sound. I still have faith in Cary.

Seeing those trailers actually made me feel this guy (Cary) sure knows what he's doing. I'm having more faith than I had with spectre.
    I feel a LOT better about this one compared to being about to watch Spectre.
    I recently watched True Detective, 1st season again. Cary is a stunning director.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 3,564
    This exchange brings up an issue I'd been thinking about recently. Most of us on this thread are agreed that we want to know as little about the plot of upcoming films as we possibly can manage before actually seeing the films for the first time in the theater. How much (or in what ways) has that standard practice altered this time around, seeing NTTD more than a year later than we had originally expected to? We've had several rounds of trailers to tide us over -- and give us an awful lot more of the plot than we've had from official sources at any time in the past few decades. Are we still hoping to see NTTD with relatively virgin eyes -- or is this one a different kettle of shaken-but-not stirred?
    edited September 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Good point, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs - so let me clarify.
    This thread will NOT contain any spoilers of any kind related to No Time To Die. Not for weeks. Not until most members have had a chance to view it, so probably end of October we can open it up here.

I'd like no reviews, no comments on it at all until then.
    We kept all comments off for the previous Bond films. This is a great place to review and discuss it later. But not at all till a few weeks after it opens.

Let's say October 30th open it up (I don't want it on Halloween!) - and we could even wait till first week in November, if most Originals would like to wait till then.

Everybody, please note this:
    For now, NO COMMENTS at all, please on NTTD. That means no discussion about trailers or anything. This is to be completely spoiler free still, and NTTD not to be discussed on this thread until later. Thanks!

I am pretty much spoiler free so far and intend to stay that way. B-)
    Really? I am, as I have been for Skyfall and Spectre, without much idea at all. I have not seen the recent trailer, and I don't plan to. Only a few weeks to go! :)
    For past films, I've always watched the theatrically-released trailers, and the commercials advertising the films on television, and still been able to see the films once they were released while still feeling reasonably "fresh" to each film upon my first viewing. This time around... well, I don't feel quite as spoiled as @Birdleson but I have seen more in advance than has ever been the case in the past. Interesting times...
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I've seen quite a few trailers, but I've avoided all articles about the plot, so I feel relatively fresh. The trailers have been quite extensive though, so I've probably seen more than I'd like. I however, considering the run-time of the film itself, I think there's plenty to surprise me yet.
    BTW, an interesting point of discussion came up in the controversial opinions thread that we may discuss later: how were the gadgets in the early films perceived by the public and how well did they age?
    BTW, an interesting point of discussion came up in the controversial opinions thread that we may discuss later: how were the gadgets in the early films perceived by the public and how well did they age?
    They were perceived as borderline science fiction by most of us, but they have been morphing into 'Just today's high tek stuff' I think.
    Also, I only saw half of one trailer so I'm only half spoiled. ;)
    The GPS tracker in Goldfinger was definitely science fiction at the time and hardly anybody knew that lasers actually existed.
  • I've heard that somebody in the military (Navy?) contacted the Bond team about the oxygen re-breather tube from Thunderball. "How long does it provide oxygen?" was the question. "We'd be interested in getting our hands on something like that." The answer: "None at all -- we made it up ourselves. Nothing like that actually exists."
    I've heard that somebody in the military (Navy?) contacted the Bond team about the oxygen re-breather tube from Thunderball. "How long does it provide oxygen?" was the question. "We'd be interested in getting our hands on something like that." The answer: "None at all -- we made it up ourselves. Nothing like that actually exists."

That one always amuses me. Did they actually believe filmmakers, as creative and talented as they were aside, actually came up with something like that that would be worth big money on the market? Maybe the fact they used a working jet pack gave them confidence that was also real.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I've heard that somebody in the military (Navy?) contacted the Bond team about the oxygen re-breather tube from Thunderball. "How long does it provide oxygen?" was the question. "We'd be interested in getting our hands on something like that." The answer: "None at all -- we made it up ourselves. Nothing like that actually exists."

That one always amuses me. Did they actually believe filmmakers, as creative and talented as they were aside, actually came up with something like that that would be worth big money on the market? Maybe the fact they used a working jet pack gave them confidence that was also real.

Yes, I do expect the jet pack had something to do with them taking the oxygen device seriously. For my part, I expected the jet pack to be commercially available to the public at some point in the future. Where's my jet pack, Cubby?
    BT3366 wrote: »

Yes, I do expect the jet pack had something to do with them taking the oxygen device seriously. For my part, I expected the jet pack to be commercially available to the public at some point in the future. Where's my jet pack, Cubby?

Cubby told me to check this link, and go have some fun:
    https://gravity.co/

Personally I think Bond's gadgets should be on the fringe of reality. So no smart blood or invisible car (in the snow, with those tracks, even if cars could be invisible you'd definately not use them in the snow!) but yes to the rebreather and jetpack. Even though the first one doesn't actualy work, it's just a miniturisation of something that does, hence making it far more believable.

Personally I think Bond's gadgets should be on the fringe of reality. So no smart blood or invisible car

That's actually on the fringe. Just sayin'. It's being worked on. 20 years from now it will be like GPS was in Goldfinger.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Personally I think Bond's gadgets should be on the fringe of reality. So no smart blood or invisible car

That's actually on the fringe. Just sayin'. It's being worked on. 20 years from now it will be like GPS was in Goldfinger.

Good point.
  • BT3366 wrote: »

Cubby told me to check this link, and go have some fun:
    https://gravity.co/

Until you point one of your arms the wrong way when you're 40 feet off the ground.

Not quite, it's been beeing worked on for decades now. The problems lie with the wheels, windows and direction you're looking from. Adaptive camouflage does get closer (but is far from projecting the background on the side you're looking at) but works for the infra red signature, and only by pretending to be something else, not to the naked eye:
    https://www.baesystems.com/en-us/feature/adativ-cloak-of-invisibility

As you can see, the 'invisible car' is far from invisible:
    https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/mercedes-creates-invisible-car-using-leds-video-05-03-2012/

Not quite, it's been beeing worked on for decades now. The problems lie with the wheels, windows and direction you're looking from. Adaptive camouflage does get closer (but is far from projecting the background on the side you're looking at) but works for the infra red signature, and only by pretending to be something else, not to the naked eye:
    https://www.baesystems.com/en-us/feature/adativ-cloak-of-invisibility

As you can see, the 'invisible car' is far from invisible:
    https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/mercedes-creates-invisible-car-using-leds-video-05-03-2012/
    Baby steps... ;)
  • True confessions: I had no problem with Bond's invisible car in DAD... because Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. had an invisible car back in the '60s! (Shout out to Jaunty Jim Steranko...) I figured thirty years later it was about time for Bond to catch up!
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,165
    The invisible car has always been a weird hang up people had about DAD, especially considering it's not even fabricated technology. Of all the issues in that movie, it doesn't even crack the Top 10.
  • There were a lot of issues I had with DAD upon that first watch in theaters, but the invisible car wasn't and never has been one of them. As others have mentioned, some form of the technology really did exist at the time, immediately putting the concept more in our own reality than any number of Bond's other gadgets. Plus, the tech was put to good use in the film and the CGI was actually really well rendered. That last point is particularly important I should think given how poor the CGI was in so many other parts of the film.
    Just zipping in to say I GOT MY TICKET TO SEE NTTD! First showing at 11 a.m. on first day being shown here, which is Oct. 1st.

And yes we are staying SPOILER FREE on this thread! For another week or two.
    Just go to other threads to discuss it. Thanks!
    Back after I see it ... am I excited? Yes, considerably. ;)
    I shall return ... B-)
  • Just to put my response to another thread's title here, where I feel most at home: I am very confident that NTTD will be another top-flight 007 offering. Patience, all... our wait will be rewarded shortly!