X-Men (2000 - 20)

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I liked The Wolverine a lot, I wouldn't call it one of the best but it was entertaining.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    doubleoego wrote:
    The way cyclops has been handled for the movies pains me.
    It didn't help that he wanted out of X3 so he could go work on that awesomely non-awesome Superman Returns...
    8-|
    The Wolverine was inspiring my fatasy. I constantly couldn´t help thinking, "this scene was meant for adults, but it is filmed for kids". I mean, how can it be that a guy with 12" steel claws fights a bunch of gangsters, and not a single drop of blood flies?
    The Wolverine was good but it could have been great. The main issue I have is the villains.
    The ending was kind of dissapointing, too fantastical for a movie that started on a more serious tone. I much rather that he had fighted regular samurai and ninjas. And how come Wolverine didn't use a regular size katana, as in all publicity shots he's shown with one?
    Best thing: Yukio.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2013 Posts: 23,448
    doubleoego wrote:
    The way cyclops has been handled for the movies pains me. James Marsden is a good actor and the character was just butchered and treated like crap to the point of rendering him irrelevant. Anyway, The Wolverine is very good, far superior to origins and DoFp looks fantastic.

I think Marsden is a competent actor; he will get the job done. But I fail to spot charisma in him. When he's Cyclops mad, he's just sour. The Cyclops from the comics, IMO at least, displayed much more anger and vigour.
    Sandy wrote:
    I liked The Wolverine a lot, I wouldn't call it one of the best but it was entertaining.

Agreed, @Sandy. It was good but not superb.

My ranking of the X-Men movies (and including a notoriously hard-to-find TV pilot by Jack Sholder) is as follows:

1) X2 [Mystique does it for me in this film. Absolutely stunning!]
    2) First Class
    3) X-Men
    4) The Wolverine
    5) X3
    6) Origins: Wolverine
    7) Generation X

The first two acts of The Wolverine were great, but sadly the final act was kind of lame. What I loved about the film was it was basically a Bond film with Wolverine. I welcome another film from Jackman and the same director. But first things first, Days of Future Past must work and succeed. Which it will
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    DarthDimi wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    The way cyclops has been handled for the movies pains me. James Marsden is a good actor and the character was just butchered and treated like crap to the point of rendering him irrelevant. Anyway, The Wolverine is very good, far superior to origins and DoFp looks fantastic.

I think Marsden is a competent actor; he will get the job done. But I fail to spot charisma in him. When he's Cyclops mad, he's just sour. The Cyclops from the comics, IMO at least, displayed much more anger and vigour.

You hit the nail in the head! While the casting of Jackman as Wolverine was one of the most inspired ones in recent Hollywood history, I doubt anyone can say the same about Cyclops. The character needs a fire within (no pun intended) that Marsden is unable to show.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    The first two acts of The Wolverine were great, but sadly the final act was kind of lame. What I loved about the film was it was basically a Bond film with Wolverine. I welcome another film from Jackman and the same director. But first things first, Days of Future Past must work and succeed. Which it will

Yes, I couldn't stop imagine how great it would be if there was a regular series of Wolverine movie, let's say every two years.
    The problem with that is that at this point you can't replace Jackman as Wolverine to keep the series going. Don't get me wrong, somebody else will play Wolverine after Jackman. But it will be in an X Men film where the new actor doesn't have to carry the film. Same thing with Downey and The Avengers. But definitely give me as many Jackman Wolverine films as they want as long as they are good in quality
    edited November 2013 Posts: 17,687
    I showed my Son Origins: Wolverine the other night- he liked it a lot. Tonight I showed him X-Men- he liked it as well (nice continuity, btw).
    Question: I plan to show him X2 next, then X-Men: First Class and finish with X3.
    Is this a good plan IYO?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't see why that would be a bad thing. Is The Wolverine going to come up at some point?
    I don't see why that would be a bad thing. Is The Wolverine going to come up at some point?
    When available on DVD.
    Wouldn't it be better to have X3 after X2, and then First Class as a reboot?
    When The Wolverine is available, I think it would be harder to find a proper order: X3 - The Wolverine - First Class - Days of Future Past? or X3 - First Class - The Wolverine - Days of Future Past?
    You're making me dizzy now... :-O
    I think the films should be watched in order of release. Watching X3 after First Class will only raise more questions about continuity. If you show the films in order, continuity is easier to understand with the explanation that Days of Future Past may fix a lot of it.

Man I love this series but this is exhausting
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I think the order could work like this:

X-Men First Class
    X-Men Origins Wolverine
    X-Men
    X2
    X-Men The Last Stand
    The Wolverine
    X-Men Days of Future Past
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I agree with @Agent007391's suggestion if one is interested in a logical order of the stories. However, I'd personally go for the order of release of the films. Part of the fun of First Class and, to lesser degree, Origins Wolverine, is in the callbacks to the other films. I guess both lists make sense.
    Because of DOFP trailer, I watched the episode of the X-Men Animated Series by the same name. And because I've never watched the series as a kid, I then started from episode 1. So far I like it very much. It has some silly things but others are very serious. What I lacks if more violece, I mean, every time Wolverine is fighting I expect him to strike people with his claws... of course he doesn't (only against Sentinels).
    I've almost finished Season 1 and so far this is my comparison of characters between movies and the series:
    - Better in series than in movies: Rogue, Cyclops, Gambit
    - Better in movies than in series: Professor Xavier, Magneto, Jean Grey
    - Equally great: Wolverine
    Im very upset that Famke is not in the film reprising her role as Jean Gray
    Who knows? Maybe she'll have a cameo in the past... or a dream sequence in the future.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    fjdinardo wrote:

Famke isn't in 'Days of Future Past'? Wow, I really thought she was. Why do I feel like I've seen her in an X-Men film recently? Was she in 'The Wolverine' or something? I haven't seen that movie, either, but I know I've seen her in a trailer. Could've swore it was DOFP.
    The Wolverine. I've never seen the film either, but she either has a cameo appearance, or her death is extremely important to the plot.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    The Wolverine. I've never seen the film either, but she either has a cameo appearance, or her death is extremely important to the plot.

She's a driving force behind Wolverine throughout the film. She is featured in a sort of dream-scenario.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    fjdinardo wrote:

Famke isn't in 'Days of Future Past'? Wow, I really thought she was. Why do I feel like I've seen her in an X-Men film recently? Was she in 'The Wolverine' or something? I haven't seen that movie, either, but I know I've seen her in a trailer. Could've swore it was DOFP.

yes she was in the new Wolverine film but not this film
    I just want Wolverine & the Hulk having a disagreement in th next Avengers movie. :D
    That would be awesome, and if Marvel and Fox can make a deal, it could happen.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    It was one of these moments in The Wolverine when they showed "Trask Industries" on a TV-screen. Where it seemed obvious that it was intended to be "Stark Industries" but that Fox doesen't have the rights to utililaze that brand.

On another note, i'm quite the fan of the X-Men franchise i have always been stunned of how high the quality of the series has been. I like all of the films and i think all of them offer great variety and entertainment. I couldn't see what was so bad with Origins, i found it quite compelling.
    I would rate the films like this:

1) X-Men: First Class (The best of all superhero films if i exclude The Dark Knight, just brilliant)
    2) X-Men (I was amazed when i watched it and to realize how good it really was)
    3) X-Men: Last Stand (I think it's really enjoyable and a great way to end the first trilogy)
    4) X-Men: Origins (I like the whole concept of Wolverine as a charachter and i find this movie to be bloody good!)
    5) The Wolverine (Jackman does his best effort in the role although the film is a bit meh for me, it lacks the feel of the previous films. Plus for the Bond-references!)
    6) X2 (So sue me, i do just find this to be dull in it's part and not so compelling as i like it to be. But still it's a good film!)
    MrBond wrote:
    It was one of these moments in The Wolverine when they showed "Trask Industries" on a TV-screen. Where it seemed obvious that it was intended to be "Stark Industries" but that Fox doesen't have the rights to utililaze that brand.

Actually, that was to set up Days of Future Past, because Bolivar Trask is one of the villains, and he created the Sentinel program. I don't spoiler-tag this because it's public knowledge.
    MrBond wrote:
    On another note, i'm quite the fan of the X-Men franchise i have always been stunned of how high the quality of the series has been. I like all of the films and i think all of them offer great variety and entertainment. I couldn't see what was so bad with Origins, i found it quite compelling.
    I would rate the films like this:

1) X-Men: First Class (The best of all superhero films if i exclude The Dark Knight, just brilliant)
    2) X-Men (I was amazed when i watched it and to realize how good it really was)
    3) X-Men: Last Stand (I think it's really enjoyable and a great way to end the first trilogy)
    4) X-Men: Origins (I like the whole concept of Wolverine as a charachter and i find this movie to be bloody good!)
    5) The Wolverine (Jackman does his best effort in the role although the film is a bit meh for me, it lacks the feel of the previous films. Plus for the Bond-references!)
    6) X2 (So sue me, i do just find this to be dull in it's part and not so compelling as i like it to be. But still it's a good film!)

1) First Class would be the best for me if I didn't include The Avengers, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3, Thor The Dark World and Batman The Dark Knight Returns parts 1 & 2.
    2) The film that truly proved that superhero movies could be made. Though the first two Superman and Batman films were good as well.
    3) I found the film enjoyable. I would have found it a lot better if the deleted scenes were included, because they would have made the film a lot more cohesive.
    4) The Logan/Sabertooth rivalry throughout the film was great, as was the fleshing out of William Stryker's character. I loved the Mutant cameos when Wolverine frees the captives before the Weapon XI fight.
    5) Still haven't seen it.
    6) Y'know, I would actually be inclined to agree with you, except for a couple of things. Stryker's plan (to use Mutants to kill Mutants) is awesome, as is the growing Phoenix power in Jean Gray, then there's the fact that Magneto gets more screentime, and Ian McKellen is great in the role.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    @Agent007391 oh really, i didn't know about Bolivar Trask. But i have kept myself totally free from spoilers and plot-points for DOTFP. I've only watched the trailers for it.
    I am really hyped for it, it's that and the last Hobbit that are the only films that i am interested in for 2014!
    I call it public knowledge for two reasons:

1) Bryan Singer and co. explained it a while ago in interviews and the like; and
    2) The comics could have told you that thirty years ago. Not to mention the myriad cartoons and the X-Men Origins video game.