Best Shot Per Decade - GE , DAD & SP (The Finals pt:1)

Comments

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    So, no incoming votes?

I'm going to close the voting lines.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited August 2022 Posts: 3,382
    And we have a winner!
    Congratulations to the best shot in Thunderball: #4:

He got the point
    Thunderball-602.jpg

You can now submit your favorite shots for You Only Live Twice (1967) the deadline of submission is on September 1, 2022!

Note: Kindly put the title/name of each scene (shots/pictures).
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    YOLT is one of the best looking Bond films ever, with both memorable cinematography and production design. There are tons of great shots.

You-Only-Live-Twice-271.jpg

At Osato's

You-Only-Live-Twice-470.jpg

Becoming Japanese

You-Only-Live-Twice-574.jpg

Fishermen
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2022 Posts: 8,009
    Aggressive diplomacy
    You-Only-Live-Twice-028.jpg

First sight of the lair
    You-Only-Live-Twice-419.jpg

Bond docks Kobe dock workers
    yolt-rooftop-e1505159833615.png?w=656

I'm fascinated by the choices so far. When it comes to shots, is it iconography that people look for (i.e. Bond does something cool in this shot) or is it a the craft (movement, lighting, colours etc.) that make it stand out for you?

We're especially spoiled with YOLT as Freddie Young was such a great DOP.

As with FRWL, there's a shot I wanted to include but couldn't find a good screengrab of - the silhouettes of the SPECTRE helicopters on the mountainside as they appear in pursuit of Bond while he's flying Little Nellie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    588c4e48667141ac498427fb9c414c6d.jpg
    Bang Bang
    11.jpg
    Commander Bond
    YOLT%2B015.jpg
    Kissy

I'm fascinated by the choices so far. When it comes to shots, is it iconography that people look for (i.e. Bond does something cool in this shot) or is it a the craft (movement, lighting, colours etc.) that make it stand out for you?

As with FRWL, there's a shot I wanted to include but couldn't find a good screengrab of - the silhouettes of the SPECTRE helicopters on the mountainside as they appear in pursuit of Bond while he's flying Little Nellie.

You mean this one?

You-Only-Live-Twice-379.jpg
    matt_u wrote: »

You mean this one?

You-Only-Live-Twice-379.jpg

No, not that one! Bond looks down at the mountainside and we see the shadow of Little Nellie against the rock. Seconds later, the shadow of the SPECTRE helicopters appear. It proceeds the shot you posted by a couple of seconds. I always thought it was a very effective way of introducing the enemy.
    I don't need to see a comprehensive list if nominees, my vote is unequivocally for the helicopter shot of Bond fighting the goons on top of Kobe Docks. Still might be my favourite individual shot in the entire series.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,600
    While any image of Kissy will do. :x How about the Villian reveal.
    8aaf69d7b8151a11635bdbba6ef9835f_orig.png
    Let me introduce myself......
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

That is an interesting observation and one I also considered. While I absolutely 100% understand the choice for iconic shots, personally I am more drawn to shot compositions, colour patterns and atmosphere.

I know which shot you’re looking for, it’s the one with the three helicopter shades against the mountain side… That IS a great shot, I agree :)

GoldenGun wrote: »
    That is an interesting observation and one I also considered. While I absolutely 100% understand the choice for iconic shots, personally I am more drawn to shot compositions, colour patterns and atmosphere.

Same here. If they overlap, then even better. It's partly why I was so happy that the submission for Dr. No I made was the eventual winner. Same iconic moment, but the difference in atmosphere between frames a mere few seconds apart is incredible.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

One of the things about YOLT, is that much of the film's specific iconography is what comes to mind for people - who may not be Bond fans - when they think of a "James Bond" film (i.e., "Isn't that the one where that guy that loves gold feeds his foes to the killer sharks"). Think AUSTIN POWERS.......

And since we have one of Kissy, let's not forget Aki :x
    MV5BMDU2ZTVjZWQtZmNhYi00ZGM4LWIzNWMtNTNiMDc5MzBhNTljXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjcwNDUyODM@._V1_.jpg

or her Toyota 2000gt
    art-mg-007toyota2000seq3.jpg

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The helicopter shadows on the mountain work better as a moving shot than a screengrab, but I agree, it's a great way to reveal that Bond has company.

52319661710_a985822982_o.jpg
    The same is true of the aerial Kobe dock shot, too. A snapshot doesn't do it justice at all. Magnificent.
    The same is true of the aerial Kobe dock shot, too. A snapshot doesn't do it justice at all. Magnificent.
    Agreed. A lot of great aerial shots in this film. Another that comes to mind is when Bond's helicopter flies over Tanaka's ninja training school, and just seeing the traditional Japanese architecture behind Connery and the others is a real sight to behold.

Most of the best ones have been mentioned, I think, but here are a few more:

Safe to crack?
    52318448492_23ab8a6c08_o.jpg

Very sexyful
    52319691320_8aaf56cf63_o.jpg

Baby rocket aim
    52319250826_b064277584_o.jpg

Final shot
    52319560253_ec9610caee_o.jpg
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    You-Only-Live-Twice-790.jpg
    Sun Web

You-Only-Live-Twice-610.jpg
    2million dollars....

You-Only-Live-Twice-291.jpg
    Sean we whant Oddjob head back please..
    Concerning the Little Nellie chase, I always loved this shot too:

James-Bond-Gyrocopter-scaled.jpg

Little Nellie surveillance flight

Other ones I really like:
    you_only_live_twice_-_newspaper_report.jpg

Bond’s obituary

vlcsnap-2017-05-31-09h10m29s573_orig.png

Sumo wrestling arena

yolt07.jpg

Meeting Mr Henderson

Some other ones:

You-Only-Live-Twice-763.jpg

Capsule in space

youonlylivetwice04.jpg

Bond in action

1jls_9-JiZF2heCWHhEW5Lb7rUY.png

”They’ll never find us”
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    youonlylivetwice04.jpg
    Bond in action
    Bond takes similar shots to this several times in the film. From behind a pillar outside Osato's; from behind a wooden crate on the docks etc.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Just looking at these makes me want to watch YOLT. I think it may be the dumbest movie in the series in a lot of ways, but man does it (mostly) look great!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The best shot from the film?

You_Only_Live_Twice-Ian_Fleming.jpg

For this one, just read the book... ;)
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    When bond met cubby
    null-110.jpeg
    Evil eyes
    2ybi1ka6uvr21.jpg

• R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    The price of failure (Helga)
    yolt17.jpg
    The price of failure (Osato)
    yolt18.jpg
    Chez Henderson
    You-Only-Live-Twice-Grey-Herringbone-Suit-2.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2022 Posts: 28,694
    This will be competitive, because for all its flaws, YOLT is one of those Bond movies that visually has it all: amazing location shooting, wonderful atmospheric shots, beautiful wide shots, and jaw dropping aerial photography. Even as far as Bond films go, this one has some of the biggest visual variety I can think of, up there with the likes of TSWLM. Always a treat to go back and marvel at the amazing work the camera crews did. You could have a whole contest just based around Freddie Young's location shots. Just ridiculous talent on display here, and what a feast for the eyes. This is Bond's cinematic power at its most potent.

[EDITED]
    Only 3 shots per members are allowed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ah, didn't realize the rules. I'll just wipe them all out.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

In fairness, they were all pretty great shots. I’ll have to review this adaption with a more open mind pretty soon.

In a movie like this it’s hard to pick three isn’t it? Maybe only on the last day for submitting it would be cool to let the door open for let’s say another three shots per member.
    Alright, narrowed it down to three shots with the rules now firm in mind (sorry for the ignorance):

Hiding In Plain Sight
    You-Only-Live-Twice-414.jpg

Lift Off
    You-Only-Live-Twice-693.jpg

Prepared For Battle
    You-Only-Live-Twice-699.jpg