Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Yup!

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I assume Cruise will probably be flying all over the place and beating people up at the same time though, so probably a different feel.
    Don’t forget there was a touch of this with the crashed helicopters at the end of the last one, and it didn’t feel like a Lost World ripoff to me.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 7,999
    Funnily I don’t even remember that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,861
    When Cavill gets all toastyfaced..?
    I remember a few facial expressions that are PainFace worthy.

Though to be honest, I’ve only seen FALLOUT just once.
    There was a tense rail scene in Wanted, too. Very well done.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Since62 wrote: »
    There was a tense rail scene in Wanted, too. Very well done.

I immediately thought of that when reading about this scene.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Rebecca Ferguson has finished filming the new installment. I can't imagine production as a whole has anything more than a few days to a couple of weeks remaining:

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This train sequence is going to be crazy:

Looks great.

Say, many of the jobs the team did in the tv show would have made for some really funny candid camera pranks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Who's the chap on the left there?
    mtm wrote: »
    Who's the chap on the left there?

I was wondering the same. Collider incorrectly lists him as the villain played by Esai Morales, but that's definitely not him.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    It looks to me to be Greg Tarzan Davis, but I've no idea who he's playing.
    edited August 2021 Posts: 40,370
    Yes, appears to be Greg Tarzan Davis. Good catch, @sandbagger1. I'm guessing he's a younger, new recruit for the team, especially considering every other cast member in the photo is part of the M:I team. It makes sense they'd recruit someone new in their downtime, considering these next two seem to be a completely different story away from the Syndicate and the events of the last few films (unless I'm wrong on that account, but I thought McQuarrie mentioned a couple of years back that Solomon Lane's story was done).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not sure who he is but he seems to be in Top Gun 2 so it seems a decent bet.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Yes, appears to be Greg Tarzan Davis. Good catch, @sandbagger1. I'm guessing he's a younger, new recruit for the team, especially considering every other cast member in the photo is part of the M:I team. It makes sense they'd recruit someone new in their downtime, considering these next two seem to be a completely different story away from the Syndicate and the events of the last few films (unless I'm wrong on that account, but I thought McQuarrie mentioned a couple of years back that Solomon Lane's story was done).

I noticed when watching the old series that the Syndicate was made into their main adversary in the last couple of seasons, and they more or less stopped going abroad. Must have been to save money.

I noticed when watching the old series that the Syndicate was made into their main adversary in the last couple of seasons, and they more or less stopped going abroad. Must have been to save money.

That makes sense. I've sadly not dabbled much in the original series, I should give it a shot in full sometime. There's just too damn much to watch and catch up on these days and not enough time.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I don’t think cost saving had anything to do with it. Because they never went abroad in any of the episodes. They were all filmed on the backlot in Hollywood. The simple reason is that by 1970 Cold War stories were becoming less popular. Relations with the Soviets improved some so they decided to ease up on the East vs. West storylines. Plus the 70s was the decade of the crime drama and organized crime stories. Everything from Five-O to Kojak to Streets of San Francisco, where you had the good guys regularly taking on organized crime. M:I followed suit. I would say Five-O and Mannix really laid the groundwork for this before any of the other 70s shows.

I don’t think cost saving had anything to do with it. Because they never went abroad in any of the episodes. They were all filmed on the backlot in Hollywood.
    I understand that, but they still had to build sets all the time, and that isn t free.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I don’t think cost saving had anything to do with it. Because they never went abroad in any of the episodes. They were all filmed on the backlot in Hollywood.
    I understand that, but they still had to build sets all the time, and that isn t free.
    Yeah but they had to build sets regardless.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Interesting!
    It seems at this rate, they'll have been filming this installment on and off for a year. Wild.

Maybe even longer: had they started filming when they left Venice the first time? I presume that was March last year. I guess everyone has been on the film that long even if they weren't shooting, crazy.

Interesting!
    It seems at this rate, they'll have been filming this installment on and off for a year. Wild.

Maybe even longer: had they started filming when they left Venice the first time? I presume that was March last year. I guess everyone has been on the film that long even if they weren't shooting, crazy.

A generic Google search reveals September 6th, 2020 as starting, when McQuarrie began sharing images on Instagram, so it's probably even earlier than that. Who knows, this last year and a half or so has been all compacted together and I get the timing mixed up!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, they were certainly at Dunsfold doing that stunt driving test with the main cast in mid-March 2020, so it's been a long haul.
    Yeah, they were certainly at Dunsfold doing that stunt driving test with the main cast in mid-March 2020, so it's been a long haul.

That's what you get for trusting Google!

Damn, so we're closing in on a year and a half shooting schedule. That's insane.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Is it possible they're filming parts of MI8 at the same time?
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Is it possible they're filming parts of MI8 at the same time?

That was the original plan but I believe they scrapped that idea. I suppose it's possible they're filming some stuff with plans to use it later, though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2021 Posts: 14,861

That's what you get for trusting Google!

Damn, so we're closing in on a year and a half shooting schedule. That's insane.

Well they weren't actually filming the movie at Dunsfold though, just preparing, so I think you're probably right. As I remember they were just about to roll when they had to leave Venice in March: I don't think Cruise had even made it there. If lockdown had come just a few days later we'd probably be looking at a year and a half, yeah.