Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Would I be right in saying (I think so anyway), that the second film, directed by John Woo is largely regarded as the weakest of the four films so far?
    If I were to rank them I'd do it thus :

One and four
    Three
    Two
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    It's good news for sure. M:I is the only film series so far where each subsequent film impressed me more than its predecessor. Yes, that includes M:I 2 >> M:I (rather controversial choice, I know. ;-) ). Anyway, considering the quality of GP, I'd say bring . it . on! ;-)
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Brad Bird coming back would be the best news of all. You never know, this may come out in time for Christmas 2014.

I, for one, would enjoy them taking their time. Cruise has a good 5 years to reprise the role. If they can do it by 2014 and it be good, so be it. But if its no good, hopefully they're willing to delay it for quality.

May 2016 would be 20 years since the first and four and a half years away. With the time between films, this gap would be quite normal. Maybe they'll aim for there.

There's always been a "will they, won't they" with doing another film but with the success of this, for once, I don't think there is. Paramount want it as soon as possible.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Ghost Protocol was a good time at the movies, that is for sure. But what did you guys think about that ending? I thought that whole
    staging his wife's death
    thing was completely ridiculous and far too happy of an ending. I was genuinely surprised when they mentioned Ethan's
    wife had been brutally murdered.
    I almost thought that made the ending of M:i:III a little better...but then GP kind of threw the audience a curve ball with that ending...to me it really came from nowhere. I don't know, it just didn't do it for me.

Otherwise, I mostly enjoyed Ghost Protocol. 7/10

I would be all on board for a fifth Mission. Truthfully, I don't think any of the films have been magnificent, but I curiously own them all and enjoy them every time I pop them in. And M:I-2 has to be my biggest guilty pleasure of all time. That film is so cheesy and ridiculous, and yet I cannot help myself from enjoying it.
  • pah, we've had the third one at home for years and never got round to seeing it, haven't even seen the fourth entry yet even, I like Mission Impossible from what I've seen of the first two entries, but please let's not turn this into another Police Academy like they're doing with Die Hard. Even Lethal Weapon had the good sense to stop at four and that was too many. I guess these days when they make a sequel they just try to turn out as many further releases as they can, noticed that just lately
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Here are my feelings on the film:
    I am skeptical every time a sequel is announced in my favorite franchises. This same effect eclipsed me when MI4 was announced. I was angry, thinking that the franchise had done all it could do now, and that Ethan could finally be happy. But I was wrong. After seeing this film, I have a renewed faith that even more could be done, with Bird helming again and Tom starring and on deck to produce and oversee the story with JJ Abrams. The film had a great story, that was moving and interesting. The new characters were great, and seeing Benji in the field was great. Tom is on top of his game, as is Simon, who is hilarious. Jeremy shows his talent alongside Tom, and the two have a cool presence together on screen. Paula is surprisingly good, showing potential apart from being a very sexy leading lady. Brad Bird directs with great brilliance, and he doesn't let up. The action is fierce, and the cinematography stunning. The story behind Ethan and Julia's separation shocked me, as I sat gasping in my chair. Julia was dead, which Brandt reveals in a story from when he was last in the field. I kept thinking it couldn't be true, hoping to see her alive, and Luther too. Finally we get to the ending and I get both my wishes. We see Luther, in good health and enjoying the company again of Ethan. I was sad to see him absent in the operation, but it made sense with the story. With the whole of IMF besides Ethan's team who were "dead", Luther too would be blacklisted and couldn't help out. I loved seeing Luther, even for just a moment. Then, as Ethan and Brandt finally speak about what happened three years earlier with Julia, I was at the edge of my seat. My heart beat out of my chest, and my breathing became irregular. When it is revealed that the whole "murder" was a cover up to get Julia free from Ethan's dangerous living to keep her safe, I got very emotional. When I saw Julia finally notice Ethan before she entered the shop and looked at him, seeing them both smile at each other, my eyes watered. I felt a tear roll down my face and that was when I knew this film was special. Not only the best spy film in a long while, but the best of the Mission Impossible series. It wasn't just an action film to me. It was an engaging and emotional ride, that touched my heart with its brilliant ending. Thank you Tom, thank you Brad.

A perfect film, I refuse to complain about a thing, because there is nothing to complain about.

5/5, 10/10, 100%/100%.

Sherlock Holmes 2 and MI4 assure me that some good films actually did come out this year!
    It was obvious Hunt didn't murder the Serbians from the moment Brandt told everyone about it. He's the hero - they can't have him do that.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RogueAgent wrote:
    not seen GP yet but from what i have seen and read? I will be happy and another film would be great! As for cruise getting old? Well? Like Bond? replace the actor but keep the charactor.

It wouldn't be unusual and it would continue the series.

It's Tom, or nothing. Fans(like me) would be in uproar.

I would love another. MI4 is brillaint(I just posted my short review). Brad can direct beautifully, and Tom cares dearly for the characters and the franchise. As long as Brad, Tom, and JJ are involved, count me in!
  • In regards to the ending, I really didn't like it. I loved the first half of the movie, and felt the second half got too ridiculous and not as exciting (the sand storm scene was amazing), but the ending felt way too happy. I liked the inclusion of Luthor, but the whole wife thing felt really forced and thrown in at the last minute.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 5,745
    bondboy007 wrote:
    In regards to the ending, I really didn't like it. I loved the first half of the movie, and felt the second half got too ridiculous and not as exciting (the sand storm scene was amazing), but the ending felt way too happy. I liked the inclusion of Luthor, but the whole wife thing felt really forced and thrown in at the last minute.

Thrown in at the last minute?

The whole film hints at it, what with the varying explanations of what happened and Ethan never really addressing any of them. It was practically a sub plot! Its the root to the suspicion around Brandt for goodness sake! Definitely not last minute.

FACT: no spoilers in this post. Everything there you can deduce from the trailer or is too hazy for one to understand otherwise.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    not seen GP yet but from what i have seen and read? I will be happy and another film would be great! As for cruise getting old? Well? Like Bond? replace the actor but keep the charactor.

I would love another. MI4 is brillaint(I just posted my short review). Brad can direct beautifully, and Tom cares dearly for the characters and the franchise. As long as Brad, Tom, and JJ are involved, count me in!

IMO, if they COMPLETELY rebooted it, with no thought to the previous series except maybe Cruise and Abrams producing, and a few years after Cruise's last entry, I'd be fine with it. And I'm a die hard fan. (And a DIE HARD fan.)
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 121
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    bondboy007 wrote:
    In regards to the ending, I really didn't like it. I loved the first half of the movie, and felt the second half got too ridiculous and not as exciting (the sand storm scene was amazing), but the ending felt way too happy. I liked the inclusion of Luthor, but the whole wife thing felt really forced and thrown in at the last minute.

Thrown in at the last minute?

The whole film hints at it, what with the varying explanations of what happened and Ethan never really addressing any of them. It was practically a sub plot! Its the root to the suspicion around Brandt for goodness sake! Definitely not last minute.

FACT: no spoilers in this post. Everything there you can deduce from the trailer or is too hazy for one to understand otherwise.
    Whether it was last minute or not, I'm with @bondboy007 here: I didn't like that final scene.

JamesC wrote:
    There's no point in rebooting the films, when Cruise has had enough just continue with another lead. I really don't see how you can reboot MI and there'd just be a new character, not another actor playing Ethan Hunt.

No a reboot means its still Ethan Hunt, and a different actor, but instead of moving forward your swiping the slate.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The latest film is on track for $600 million worldwide, good enough for seventh highest grossing film of the year. With that news, expect the fifth film sharpish. 2014 would not surprise me at this point.
    *Gets excited*

Saw MI4 for the second time on new years. Have to say my two favorite moments are:
    The camera movement when Hunt first leaves the window of the centerpiece building

and
    when he screams "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" and hits the button at the end, the music flares up 'bun bun buna!' and then it doesn't work. Not what you would expect but hilarious how the composer, actor, and director were all in on the joke.

A fifth one sooner than later will please me, as long as the same amount of fun is put into it as the fourth.
    Just IMDB'd Brad Bird, the director of the fourth MI. Turns out he wrote The Incredibles, which is one of my favortite spy flicks coincidentally. He's also written many screenplays of his movies and even wrote Ratatouille.

So what if he did the whole writer-director gig for the fifth installment, like JJ Abrams did with the third MI film?

I think it'd be gggrreeattt :)
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Just IMDB'd Brad Bird, the director of the fourth MI. Turns out he wrote The Incredibles, which is one of my favortite spy flicks coincidentally. He's also written many screenplays of his movies and even wrote Ratatouille.

So what if he did the whole writer-director gig for the fifth installment, like JJ Abrams did with the third MI film?

I think it'd be gggrreeattt :)

The Incredibles was a superhero film, not a spy film...

The Incredibles was a superhero film, not a spy film...

So glad you completely missed the point of my post.. but your right. Not a 'spy' film, but definitely espionage. They freakin infiltrate the island. Has a very spy-ish feel. Sorry. I apologize. Condolences.

Back to the point, would you be interested in a Brad Bird writer-director combo?

JWESTBROOK wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

IMO, if they COMPLETELY rebooted it, with no thought to the previous series except maybe Cruise and Abrams producing, and a few years after Cruise's last entry, I'd be fine with it. And I'm a die hard fan. (And a DIE HARD fan.)
    I read somewhere a few days ago that Brandt is supposed to take over as the main character, when Tom Cruise steps down
    Virage wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I read somewhere a few days ago that Brandt is supposed to take over as the main character, when Tom Cruise steps down
    That doesn't seem true. Though I'd like to see the characters of MI4 return, each film has new operatives minus Benji and Luther.
    Virage wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

That doesn't seem true. Though I'd like to see the characters of MI4 return, each film has new operatives minus Benji and Luther.

I agree, Virage your a tad late I'm afraid. Thats a very old rumor. In interviews I believe both Cruise and Bird have said that was the original goal, but Cruise is interested in returning for a 5th. In fact the very same interviews this discussion is based on. By the time Cruise steps down I don't believe that would be a likelihood. Besides the fourth isn't really set up for that to happen this soon, and they're are other influences that prevent that from occurring.

If the series were simply to continue on, I'd rather of had Josh Hollaway, the guy in the trailer that jumps off the roof shooting, continue the franchise.
    For a total reboot, perhaps Jake Gyllenhal. No, scratch that. Joseph Gordon-Levitt if he'd sign for at least 3 MI's. That'd be my movie wet dream. I could see Andrew Garfield, but I don't think I'd like that.

Definitely Gyllenhal or Levitt.
    It is still my belief that when Tom doesn't play Ethan anymore, the MI franchise we be no more as well, as it should be.
  • I think when cruise gets too old I'd like to see brant or somebode else take over, I don't really want somebody else to play ethan. Just keep the series going but explain why ethan is gone, maybe have him die or retire in the first part.
    I think when cruise gets too old I'd like to see brant or somebode else take over, I don't really want somebody else to play ethan. Just keep the series going but explain why ethan is gone, maybe have him die or retire in the first part.
    No dead Ethan, and Brandt(Renner) will be old as well when Tom would be too old.
  • I think when cruise gets too old I'd like to see brant or somebode else take over, I don't really want somebody else to play ethan. Just keep the series going but explain why ethan is gone, maybe have him die or retire in the first part.
    No dead Ethan, and Brandt(Renner) will be old as well when Tom would be too old.

yeah, plus renner is also taking over bourne (which angers me. More bourne films, fine. More bourne films without jason bourne?!?!?!?!?! nooooooooo). I wouldn't mind ethan dying as long as they did it well, either that or he retires or leaves, if they do carry on when cruise leaves then get a new character, don't just give the part of hunt to somebody else
  • It would be a bit weird to have Renner as the lead character in two series : replacing Matt Damon as Bourne and also Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt ??? I don't think so !!!
    Just seen Ghost Protocol and loved it. My 2nd favourite MI film behind the 1st one. Hope SF is just as good. Brad Bird could be a contender for a future Bond director IMO. The Cruiser is still a box office star. Just hope he makes Long rumoured Top Gun sequel
    I'll watch M:I 5 in cinema only when Luther Stickell (Ving Rhames) will be there. He's the best guy in IMF (for me of course) :D
    736b3b0300b11b538361ee34f3cb522f.gif

do gifs work? Yay, they do. This one is titled 'pole dancing, ethan hunt syle'
    I think when cruise gets too old I'd like to see brant or somebode else take over, I don't really want somebody else to play ethan. Just keep the series going but explain why ethan is gone, maybe have him die or retire in the first part.

yeah, plus renner is also taking over bourne (which angers me. More bourne films, fine. More bourne films without jason bourne?!?!?!?!?! nooooooooo). I wouldn't mind ethan dying as long as they did it well, either that or he retires or leaves, if they do carry on when cruise leaves then get a new character, don't just give the part of hunt to somebody else

I'd rather have a Bourne film without Bourne instead of someone replacing the brilliant Matt Damon. The film is rumored to be more about Jason's impact on the world/CIA anyway. Renner will not be replacing Matt, and probably won't be in another MI, though I enjoyed Brandt. MI films get new talent each time, besides the recurring Benji and Luther, as I've said.
    Librarian wrote:
    I'll watch M:I 5 in cinema only when Luther Stickell (Ving Rhames) will be there. He's the best guy in IMF (for me of course) :D

I understand, but with the plot Luther couldn't be apart of the mission Ethan and the team was on. With all of IMF disavowed but Ethan and his team, all Luther could do was sit by the wayside as things played out. If MI5 rolls around, he will have a part in the action, don't you worry. You can't have an MI film without good old Luther.